Nintendo Switch: Fastest selling Nintendo console ever

kidfresh832

So Nintendo's next gen console finally getting a sneak peek this week.  I haven't bought a console in the last couple rounds of console wars really, but it does look interesting I guess.

They are making a gamble though using cartridges rather than Blu Ray.  Puts them into exclusively gaming rather than a media player type zone like Xbox One.  I see their big challenge being pricing and the execution, they really need a strong lineup of games and actually have 3rd party support.  Zelda and Mario alone isn't gonna do it.

nintendo_switch_1-gif-convert

Edited by kidfresh832

i like local multiplayer.  Online is fun too, but being in the same room with the persons you're playing with makes for memories and experiences online can't replace.  I have a wii u, it has great games.  If you have one, you should check out Splatoon.  super fun.  Definitely going to be purchasing this.  Seems like a fun thing to bring to parties :)

My kids still lovin our Wii-U, so def zero rush to go out and cop this just yet.. but I'll be checking for what type of games they put out for it

We brought our kids the WiiU for Christmas last year. They love it. But it seems like Nintendo dropped the ball while promoting it. It feels like just yesterday it was coming out and now there's a new one.

• Upvote 1

H2x1_NintendoSwitch_Presentation2017_enGB.jpg

Nintendo Co., Ltd. president Tatsumi Kimishima announced that major details about our next home gaming system, Nintendo Switch, will be shared in a live presentation streamed worldwide from Tokyo on January 13th 2017.

During the Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017, we’ll be talking about the exact launch date and showing off the line-up of games currently in development.

Nintendo is going to have an extremely hard time finding a big market for this, I think. They have been going down in their home console sales for a long time. The N64 marked the era where they lost favor with a lot of gamers. The Wii was a fluke that appealed to the casual market; I don't think that they will come back to Nintendo now, especially if there are other tablets doing similar things on the market right now.

Third-parties are saying that they're gonna support it, but I can't take that too seriously as those same companies said they were gonna support the Wii U and stopped doing so less than, like, 2 years in.

I hope it sells better than the Wii U did. But it most likely will not be able to catch up to the beast that is currently the PS4.

• Upvote 1

The gaming market has evolved and grown up and the Wii brand hasn't.

Nintendo's DS has sold much better than the PS4 & Xbox One. 54 million units world wide (compared to 30m and Microsoft refuses to disclosed the amount). This Switch is targeting the largest market: the handhelds

Edited by Game

^^^

I definitely think that's what they want to do. But even then, the dedicated handheld market seems to also be shrinking. The 3DS hasn't sold nearly as much as the original DS line did (The 3DS isn't even at half of what the OG DS line sold), and I won't even go into the PS Vita which basically flopped (a pity seeing as how it's a great handheld concerning its specifications and original features. The price and lack of AAA games is what killed it).

I think the only place where dedicated gaming handhelds still hold a lot of weight is Japan; they love their handhelds. I'm pretty sure the handhelds sell more than the home consoles over there. While we've only seen one trailer, I don't believe that the Switch will be able to divert sales away from tablets which have more features and a better resolution (I think the Switch's tablet screen is 720p). Nintendo doesn't even have a gaming network on par with PSN and Xbox Live.

I don't want Nintendo to fail, but the odds are not in their favor.

• Upvote 1

720p :umm: 

Bye Nintendo

Thats what's biting them in the butt. They don't have great features.

Blurray player? ??

Online Gaming? ??

Game selection? Depends on the age group. IMO.. no

Game Exclusives? Mario & Pokemon ?

Game Add-on? ??

Stunning graphics? ??????

I get all that with a PS4.. and pay the same price (maybe $50 more). 

Edited by Game

Pretty sure Nintendo is well aware that their bread and butter in the gaming industry lies almost solely within the handheld market.. It's very telling that this upcoming Switch console is basically a DS with a bigger screen and the easy ability to transfer the game to TVs.. also the fact that they finally have allowed Mario to be implemented into iOS games/apps that will be coming out shortly.. I'm sure once they see the returns for the app based games, they will realize their future in this industry will be revolutionizing the smart phone/tablet games.. time will tell

Pretty sure Nintendo is well aware that their bread and butter in the gaming industry lies almost solely within the handheld market.. It's very telling that this upcoming Switch console is basically a DS with a bigger screen and the easy ability to transfer the game to TVs.. also the fact that they finally have allowed Mario to be implemented into iOS games/apps that will be coming out shortly.. I'm sure once they see the returns for the app based games, they will realize their future in this industry will be revolutionizing the smart phone/tablet games.. time will tell

Do you think they'll venture into the mobile industry with their handheld devices or is it too big of a risk?

Them opening up to iOS and the lessors seems very beneficial... but do you see them going the extra step to create their own handheld device 

Also, I feel as though they are still competing with Sony & Microsoft with Switch (90% handheld / 10% console) 

Edited by Game

Nintendo is using mobile games to leverage its own IPs.  Take PokemonGo as an example.  It's definitely not like their standard Pokemon titles, but as soon as it was available, their Pokemon titles on the 3DS saw their sales rise.  I don't see Nintendo as going all software and cross platform.  They are control freaks and perfectionists.  Adding the complexity of having to develop, test, and support multiple consoles would take up too much of their resources.  Part of the reason why the Switch is a hybrid console was because Nintendo had their dev teams split working on the DS and WiiU instead of just a single console.

Nintendo is still competing with Sony and MS, but I think that the Switch is different enough from the other two to do well.  If its not the main console at someones home, it would likely be a second console.  Also, you can't really play ps4 or xbox on the go.

• Upvote 2

Nintendo is using mobile games to leverage its own IPs.  Take PokemonGo as an example.  It's definitely not like their standard Pokemon titles, but as soon as it was available, their Pokemon titles on the 3DS saw their sales rise.  I don't see Nintendo as going all software and cross platform.  They are control freaks and perfectionists.  Adding the complexity of having to develop, test, and support multiple consoles would take up too much of their resources.  Part of the reason why the Switch is a hybrid console was because Nintendo had their dev teams split working on the DS and WiiU instead of just a single console.

Nintendo is still competing with Sony and MS, but I think that the Switch is different enough from the other two to do well.  If its not the main console at someones home, it would likely be a second console.  Also, you can't really play ps4 or xbox on the go.

Yeap. And let's not forget that The original Wii sold shit loads of units and had some of the best selling games of those respective years.

Nintendo's appeal is the software. The games is where its at for them and they know it. They have the classics, they have the industry darlings like Mario, Zelda etc ... All they have to do now is push the switch to the "adult" audience. Their problem lies on the GP looking at their name as kids stuff. 

If the trailers are any indication of whats about to come than they are really doing that. Trying to appeal to the 20's gp as well as focusing on the younger audience that was always there for them. 

Do you think they'll venture into the mobile industry with their handheld devices or is it too big of a risk?

Them opening up to iOS and the lessors seems very beneficial... but do you see them going the extra step to create their own handheld device 

Also, I feel as though they are still competing with Sony & Microsoft with Switch (90% handheld / 10% console) 

eventually I think the might create their own smartphones but at this stage, it won't be anytime soon.. they barely dipped their toes in the smartphone pool with Pokémon go, but once Mario Run hits, that could be a game changer.. I know I'm already planning on buying it.. lifelong Mario fan here!

• Upvote 1

Yeap. And let's not forget that The original Wii sold shit loads of units and had some of the best selling games of those respective years.

Nintendo's appeal is the software. The games is where its at for them and they know it. They have the classics, they have the industry darlings like Mario, Zelda etc ... All they have to do now is push the switch to the "adult" audience. Their problem lies on the GP looking at their name as kids stuff. 

If the trailers are any indication of whats about to come than they are really doing that. Trying to appeal to the 20's gp as well as focusing on the younger audience that was always there for them. 

People are already going crazy for the NES Mini they are selling this holiday season.  All for a set of 30 games from 25ish years ago.  Its insane.

Personally, I've reached a graphics threshold where Wiiu graphics are enough for me as long as the experience is unique and fun.  Even Mario Galaxy on the Wii is still plays and looks amazing with its oldschool 480p graphics.  A remake on the Switch or Mario Galaxy 3 would sell bonkers.

You guys hear about the NINTENDO FUCKING THEME PARK?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-on-its-theme-park-plans-its-a-huge-opport/1100-6443047/

• 1 month later...

The graphics are shit... but I semi want it ?

Nintendo has never been a graphics-based gaming company, and yet are still standing against Sony and Microsoft.. props to them.. their biggest selling point has always been their characters, family games, and exclusives..

and yea, I already know I'll probably be picking one up within the next 2 christmases for the chillren..