RUMOR: Jay Z's Offered $40 Million for Prince's Unreleased Music

Rock & Roll Hall of Game

Prince for Sale  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Too Much
    • About Right
    • Not Enough

without knowledge as to what's left one could ask is any of it worth hearing? A lot of Prince's work went by without notice while he was alive, so whoever gets the tracks end up with how many songs worth hearing?  AND since he left thousands of songs whose going to go through all that to find something worth it. So $40 million sounds kinda high, but if you get all control over all content it might be a few gems in there...I say too high

• Upvote 1

Is there any point? His music was not a hot commodity in his last years - his touring was. Why spend $40million that you can't recoup?

That pretty much because Prince didn't like streaming. With him passing away, there are lots and lots of money to be made, specially now that streaming is booming. 

Is there any point? His music was not a hot commodity in his last years - his touring was. Why spend $40million that you can't recoup?

THATS exactly my point, albums dont sell like that anymore even when the music is good. I wouldnt buy his music not having heard what's there first, it might be a bunch of b side bullshit

Tidal already has the rights to his released catalog in terms of streaming.  Being able to say you own his entire catalog streaming rights including unreleased is big.  It makes Tidal an even more impressive property to be able to sell to get all those rights.  The more exclusive rights he can get the better in the end.