Lady Gaga Admits to Suffering from PTSD / Minor Mental illness

Rock & Roll Hall of Game

The philanthropic singer spoke about it during a Today segment that aired Monday. The 30-year-old Gaga surprised teens at the Ali Forney Center, a New York City shelter for LGBT homeless youth.

“I told the kids today, ‘I suffer from PTSD.’ I’ve never told anyone that before,” Gaga said. “So here we are. But the kindness that’s shown to me by doctors as well as my family and my friends, it’s really saved my life.”

Lady Gaga said in a December 2014 interview with Howard Stern that she had been raped early in her career.

“You know, I went through some horrific things,” she told Stern. “I’m able to laugh now because I’ve gone through a lot of mental and physical therapy and emotional therapy to heal over the years. My music’s been wonderful for me. But, you know, I was a shell of my former self at one point. I was not myself. To be fair, I was about 19 … I went to Catholic school, and then all this crazy stuff happened, and I was going, ‘Oh, is this just the way adults are?’”

It took a while for Gaga to process just what she’d experienced.

“It happens every day, and it’s really scary and it’s sad,” she added. “And you know, it didn’t affect me as much right after as it did about four or five years later. It hit me so hard. I was so traumatized by it that I was like, just keep going. I just had to get out of there.”

Edited by Game

I'm not even much of a fan but I admire and respect Gaga.. she's always seemed true to herself, great to those around her, writes/produces a ton of her own material, seems to respect the Jacksons immensely, and has proven she can do just about type of musical genre.. I don't think I've ever really heard her talk shit about anyone either..

• Upvote 3

why all this God dayum shade towards Gaga though? isnt she the one that sings live vocals and slays them? Isnt' she the one that can sit at a piano and make Elton John stand up and clap? Let's stop the hate on real talent....

THIS IS PURE TALENT .....

She has no soul tho so her vocal performances are basic

• Downvote 2

I wish more public figures used their platform to effectively discuss and bring light to mental illness.

It's something I'm passionate about and I appreciate Stefani doing this. Too many of us are dealing with mental or emotional weight and it's just as valid as a physical condition or illness.