Samsung to copy Apple and drop headphone jack?

bu.

Apple invited a wave of controversy earlier this year when it decided to remove the iPhone's headphone jack, replacing it with headphones that connected to the handset's charging port, and was lampooned for describing the move as an act of "courage".

But it appears that its arch-rival Samsung is set to follow in the company's footsteps next year by releasing the next version of its flagship phone, the Galaxy S8, without the 3.5mm audio port.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/12/07/samsung-set-remove-headphone-jack-galaxy-s8/

Its too early to be dropping headphone jacks when bluetooth technology and other forms of wireless audio are not there yet.  Which was seen in all the backlash Apple got.

It is inevitable that it will go everyone knows that so the copying thing is silly.  Apple copied Samsung with waterproofing this time around.  No one cares competition is good.

Apple need to copy more things really.  Expandable storage, wireless charging, quick charging.

I was just reading the Supreme Court ruling Samsung just won over Apple its a really good decision for this type of patent law.  Some of those patents Apple are claiming as copying are just stupid.

Samsung scores unanimous Supreme Court win over Apple

The US Supreme Court on Tuesday handed Samsung a victory in its long-running patent dispute with Apple.

The nation's highest court said in a unanimous opinion that damages for design patent infringement can be based only on the part of the device that infringed the patents, not necessarily on the entire product.

The ruling reshapes the value of designs, and how much one company has to pay for copying the look of a competitor's product. Current law said an award could be collected on the entire profits of an infringing device. In this case, that's the $399 million Samsung paid Apple late last year. This decision means that amount will likely go down.

Justice Sonia Sotomayor wrote in the opinion for the court that the only question resolved today "is whether, in the case of a multicomponent product, the relevant 'article of manufacture' must always be the end product sold to the consumer or whether it can also be a component of that product."

The ruling -- the first time the Supreme Court has considered a design case since the 1800s -- could have ripple effects across the tech industry. Companies such as Google, Facebook and others supported Samsung, saying being allowed to collect damages on an entire device would stifle innovation.

"This was a pivotal court case for the technology industry and it is encouraging to see the law interpreted and applied in a way that makes sense in a modern era and protects both inventors and innovation," Ed Black, CEO of the Computer & Communications Industry Association, said in a statement.

https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-apple-scores-supreme-court-win-patent-design-infringement-case/

• Upvote 1

Ha. Watch they reverse that decision

or that phone will just explode too. One or the other 

chile when I was on the plane to fly out they came over the PA and said anyone on board with a Samsung Galaxy 7 get off ! lol I said to myself they got Samsung on blast over this :lol:

Its too early to be dropping headphone jacks when bluetooth technology and other forms of wireless audio are not there yet.  Which was seen in all the backlash Apple got.

I wouldn't call it a "backlash" as the iPhone 7 is selling bigly... as far as wireless technology, it is there. A bit costly but there 

I wouldn't call it a "backlash" as the iPhone 7 is selling bigly... as far as wireless technology, it is there. A bit costly but there 

By there yet I meant in terms of quality and availability. I already have noise cancelling headphones I use for my phone.  The bluetooth options cost more and do not have the sound quality you can get from the wired versions.  That's the problem.

Edited by kidfresh832
  • Upvote 1

By there yet I meant in terms of quality and availability. I already have noise cancelling headphones I use for my phone.  The bluetooth options cost more and do not have the sound quality you can get from the wired versions.  That's the problem.

I have a set of 70 dollar wireless headphones, I rarely use them wireless though because the sound isnt that good, the quality is low, when I plug them into the audio jack with the optional 3.5mm cord sound quality goes way up

The issue here is the quality is lost over the air(?). My car has Bluetooth and I don't use it bc of that very reason. But Apple did put free "converters" inside each box (except you can't charge and play music at the same time) 

DCE51927-4C24-4975-AC74-36F1D005C72B_zps

If you have an iPhone 7 and you don't have this, what are you doing?

To hell with the headphone jack on an iPhone (or any phone), especially considering the fact that it truly does take up a lot of valued "real estate" within the physical phone shell/casing, itself.. 

good for samsung.. it wouldn't be the first thing they've copied from Apple..

Link to pictured adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFCXICJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_WWjsybRW46FN9

• Upvote 1

DCE51927-4C24-4975-AC74-36F1D005C72B_zps

If you have an iPhone 7 and you don't have this, what are you doing?

To hell with the headphone jack on an iPhone (or any phone), especially considering the fact that it truly does take up a lot of valued "real estate" within the physical phone shell/casing, itself.. 

good for samsung.. it wouldn't be the first thing they've copied from Apple..

link to that?

no.. I rarely purchase anything from Amazon so I can't justify spending $99 for two day shipping (it's not free btw) 

bruh.. it's basically free.. in fact, I pay $10 each month rather than $100 for the whole year.. I'm spending a few bucks more in total but I can halt it at anytime.. and besides, I didn't really get Amazon Prime for the free shipping, I got it for their steaming services.. they're like another Spotify/Apple Music/Netflix/Hulu, and when you have kids it can be a lifesaver..

but go head wit yo cheap ass! ??

• Upvote 1

bruh.. it's basically free.. in fact, I pay $10 each month rather than $100 for the whole year.. I'm spending a few bucks more in total but I can halt it at anytime.. and besides, I didn't really get Amazon Prime for the free shipping, I got it for their steaming services.. they're like another Spotify/Apple Music/Netflix/Hulu, and when you have kids it can be a lifesaver..

but go head wit yo cheap ass! ??

$99 for streaming service minus Hulu's next day, commercial free service, Netflix exclusives, and I don't do music streaming (lower quality than downloading) so Amazon doesn't have anything for me to justify signing up. I'm not cheap.. I just know a good deal and this is not a good deal for me

Edited by Game

$99 for streaming service minus Hulu's next day, commercial free service, Netflix exclusives, and I don't do music streaming (lower quality than downloading) so Amazon doesn't have anything for me to justify signing up. I'm not cheap.. I just know a good deal and this is not a good deal for me

you know a good deal...? ? 

homie, you got yourself an iPhone 7 and yet you can't simultaneously charge the battery and plug in an audio jack for your car/headphones....and then you go on an internet message board to bitch and moan about it, and then complain some more when someone offers up a simple solution cuz you can't afford a $10-20 adapter.........

But yeah....you must know a good deal ??

you know a good deal...? ? 

homie, you got yourself an iPhone 7 and yet you can't simultaneously charge the battery and plug in an audio jack for your car/headphones....and then you go on an internet message board to bitch and moan about it, and then complain some more when someone offers up a simple solution cuz you can't afford a $10-20 adapter.........

But yeah....you must know a good deal ??

it's not a huge issue that I have ran into. Nah I don't want to pay $20 for a product that costs $5 to make.. I can afford it silly. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

71S6%2B2y%2BdHL._SL1280_.jpg

ive updated my hardware im now using this bluetooth device to wireless send my iphone 7 music/phone calls to my work truck aux outlet and charge my phone simultaneously.. i was using the 2-in-1 adapter for a while (charging and 3.5mm female adapter), but found that after a while it wasnt really charging my phone very much anymore.. in fact i would lose battery power throughout the day even while i had the charger plugged in.. just wanted to throw this out there for anyone interested..

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetooth-Receiver-Streambot-Hands-Free/dp/B00MJMV0GU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483750008&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+3.5