Open Conversation: Lady Gaga's Super Bowl Concert

Rock & Roll Hall of Game

Ya'll are too much! ? @ "janet made it popular" that had me rolling!

The NFL didn't even know what potential the halftime show had until MJ set foot on that stage.. he lit that 13 mins on fire the NFL took it and ran with it... MJ's halftime show was the FIRST TIME that the ratings INCREASED during the halftime, as opposed to the game itself.. His performance in 1993 was the most watched thing on TV in history (up until that point).. bigger than the moon landing, bigger than the MASH finale, bigger than anything to that point.. halftime has become the most watched entertainment segment every year since then..

MJ made it famous...

Jan made it infamous (for a while, at least)..

Ya'll are too much! ? @ "janet made it popular" that had me rolling!

The NFL didn't even know what potential the halftime show had until MJ set foot on that stage.. he lit that 13 mins on fire the NFL took it and ran with it... MJ's halftime show was the FIRST TIME that the ratings INCREASED during the halftime, as opposed to the game itself.. His performance in 1993 was the most watched thing on TV in history (up until that point).. bigger than the moon landing, bigger than the MASH finale, bigger than anything to that point.. halftime has become the most watched entertainment segment every year since then..

MJ made it famous...

Jan made it infamous (for a while, at least)..

yea but the current crop of artists that try to get the gig are usually women, now why is that? Why is it they all are asked the same question about "wardrobe malfunctions"?

yea but the current crop of artists that try to get the gig are usually women, now why is that? Why is it they all are asked the same question about "wardrobe malfunctions"?

usually women? Coldplay, Bruno Mars, Lenny Kravitz, 3/4 of the BEPs, Usher, Slash.. they are all from the last half decade or so, none of them are women..

sure Beyoncé, Katy, Gaga and madonna and Missy are women but I wouldn't go as far to say that it's mostly women..

and they're asked about wardrobe malfunctions because that has become synonymous with the halftime show itself and the fact that there are sometimes titties attached to said performers.. (mind you, the term "wardrobe malfunction" was created by JT, a man)..

my basic point is that Janet didn't make the halftime show popular by any means.. it already was.. she made that 3-second moment in time popular with that dumbass idea, though, no doubt.. ?? 

usually women? Coldplay, Bruno Mars, Lenny Kravitz, 3/4 of the BEPs, Usher, Slash.. they are all from the last half decade or so, none of them are women..

sure Beyoncé, Katy, Gaga and madonna and Missy are women but I wouldn't go as far to say that it's mostly women..

and they're asked about wardrobe malfunctions because that has become synonymous with the halftime show itself and the fact that there are sometimes titties attached to said performers.. (mind you, the term "wardrobe malfunction" was created by JT, a man)..

my basic point is that Janet didn't make the halftime show popular by any means.. it already was.. she made that 3-second moment in time popular, though, no doubt.. ?? 

I dont think you're giving Janet her due for increasing the profile of the half time gig to where it is now, the chatter about whose going to do the gig increased dramatically after Janet, there is no denying Janet's debacle really highlighted the half time show. Yes it was 3 seconds not the performance but it happen

I dont think you're giving Janet her due for increasing the profile of the half time gig to where it is now, the chatter about whose going to do the gig increased dramatically after Janet, there is no denying Janet's debacle really highlighted the half time show. Yes it was 3 seconds not the performance but it happen

I see your point.. and while I agree that after her titty popped out, that halftime show (in particular) became one of the most talked about.. but my point is that it wasn't due to a "performance" by hers that lead to it being talked about for a while, but it was a titty.. it didn't even have to be her titty.. if Janet and Justin had backup dancers with them at the very end of Rock Your Body and it was one of the dancer's tits that popped out instead of Jan's, in all likelyhood it still would've been just as big of a topic of convo regardless..

what I mean is that it wasn't anything attributed to ONLY Janet that made that halftime show as widely known as it is/was.. surely wasn't because of her music or dancing or vocals or lyrics or costume changes (well, sorta)..

Now as for MJ, it was only due to his sheer Star status and performance that the halftime show grew in popularity from then on..

hope some of that makes sense.. I couldn't find the correct termanology I was looking for

why cant we get a 1080p version of "If" ? Antm14_2_j2

there will never be a true 1080p version of IF, as it was filmed and edited on 480p VHS/beta cassettes, as was the standard back then in the early-mid 90's.. would for sure be amazing tho..

I see your point.. and while I agree that after her titty popped out, that halftime show (in particular) became one of the most talked about.. but my point is that it wasn't due to a "performance" by hers that lead to it being talked about for a while, but it was a titty.. it didn't even have to be her titty.. if Janet and Justin had backup dancers with them at the very end of Rock Your Body and it was one of the dancer's tits that popped out instead of Jan's, in all likelyhood it still would've been just as big of a topic of convo regardless..

what I mean is that it wasn't anything attributed to ONLY Janet that made that halftime show as widely known as it is/was.. surely wasn't because of her music or dancing or vocals or lyrics or costume changes (well, sorta)..

Now as for MJ, it was only due to his sheer Star status and performance that the halftime show grew in popularity from then on..

hope some of that makes sense.. I couldn't find the correct termanology I was looking for

it makes complete sense and you're right it wasnt due to her performance, why she didnt do the show only herself is beyond me, all these others are just besting what they've seen others do, thats kinda easy. Can you imagine Janet high flying :lol:

• Upvote 1

it makes complete sense and you're right it wasnt due to her performance, why she didnt do the show only herself is beyond me, all these others are just besting what they've seen others do, thats kinda easy. Can you imagine Janet high flying :lol:

the day that Janet was announced to play the Super Bowl I was stoked afuuuuhhh.. and then as time went on and they announced diddy and nelly and Jessica Simpson and (?) kid rock as part of the halftime show I knew it wasn't going to be as good as if Janet had the whole time to herself.. for the life of me, I'll never understand why MTV felt they needed to cram in so many artists in such a short amount of time.. they did that with Britney and *NSYNC and nelly and Mary j blige and Aerosmith, when really all they needed that particular year was fkn Aerosmith.. they wouldn't murdered that show.. that's a big reason why I'm glad MTV is no longer producing these shows anymore..

the day that Janet was announced to play the Super Bowl I was stoked afuuuuhhh.. and then as time went on and they announced diddy and nelly and Jessica Simpson and (?) kid rock as part of the halftime show I knew it wasn't going to be as good as if Janet had the whole time to herself.. for the life of me, I'll never understand why MTV felt they needed to cram in so many artists in such a short amount of time.. they did that with Britney and *NSYNC and nelly and Mary j blige and Aerosmith, when really all they needed that particular year was fkn Aerosmith.. they wouldn't murdered that show.. that's a big reason why I'm glad MTV is no longer producing these shows anymore..

MTV's idea was sorta self serving, I mean think about it, MTV used to serve as the go to place for multiple artists, so it doesnt surprise me they chose to use a bunch of acts crammed into a half time show.....still wish Janet had done hers alone.

• Upvote 1

Janet could definitely have carried the whole halftime.  I think people were surprised when no one came out to join Gaga because they had become so accustomed to surprise guests.  Turns out she certainly didn't "need" anyone else.  She took the audience on 13 minute journey... and LIVE.  

• Upvote 3

MTV's idea was sorta self serving, I mean think about it, MTV used to serve as the go to place for multiple artists, so it doesnt surprise me they chose to use a bunch of acts crammed into a half time show.....still wish Janet had done hers alone.

But no one remembers them. They only talk about Janet's portion :lol:

Meanwhile...

Lady Gaga's Super Bowl LI Halftime show is officially the most watched musical event of all-time across all platforms, NFL announced on Friday. Nearly 118 million people tuned into the show on the FOX broadcast network. In addition, Gaga's performance at NRG Stadium in Houston is the most-viewed content on NFL's digital platforms, including NFL.com, Twitter, and YouTube. Through these channels, the breathtaking performance pulled in more than 150 million unique viewers.

• Upvote 3