The Grammy's 2017

Bailey

why? so another white woman wins a second time for the same award? Why couldnt a Black female with a well intentioned album about socially relevant themes win?

Someone else could've won but i'm just glad Bey didn't cause I don't feel she deserved it. There were other blacks nominated. I need people to be mad about that issue instead of only being mad because Beyonce didn't win.

• Upvote 1

why? so another white woman wins a second time for the same award? Why couldnt a Black female with a well intentioned album about socially relevant themes win?

Whys it gotta be a race thing? Theres women of all colors who release album's with socially relevant thenes that are better than most people in mainstream, and theres been better album's through the years that dont get nominated (Rhythm Nation & Velvet Rope). This awards not about that its about that album that they feel is more Universal and timeless, and ofcourse it can be argued that some of what Beys done may be, but much about Adeles music transcends race & sexuality & age. This award isnt and never has been about social issues, maybe it should be,  maybe that needs to be a category  (and Bey would deserve that win if it were), but it is what it is, and in my opinion  its not about race.

• Upvote 1

Whys it gotta be a race thing? Theres women of all colors who release album's with socially relevant thenes that are better than most people in mainstream, and theres been better album's through the years that dont get nominated (Rhythm Nation & Velvet Rope). This awards not about that its about that album that they feel is more Universal and timeless, and ofcourse it can be argued that some of what Beys done may be, but much about Adeles music transcends race & sexuality & age. This award isnt and never has been about social issues, maybe it should be,  maybe that needs to be a category  (and Bey would deserve that win if it were), but it is what it is, and in my opinion  its not about race.

it is though because whether it's Beyoncé or Drake or Kendrick - Black people just don't win the main categories as often as their white contemporaries. And I'd like to see an Asian nominated myself so I can see someone like me up there. The white country bloc would never vote for a Black artist. The last one to win was Herbie Hancock in 2008. Taylor winning over Kendrick is proof of it. Janet not being nominated in her peak is proof of it and largely why I don't care anymore. Even Adele knew and pretty much said it when she said "the way you make my black friends feel..." to Bey. I'm not mad though - I knew she wasn't going to win the big awards thanks to precedent. I just think it's sad. They couldn't even label the Black artists right - putting Shirley Caesar name over Cece's face. 

• Upvote 4

And I know someone's going to say "but Beyoncé has the most Grammys" but once again - they're all from the little categories. She's lucky because Janet only has 5 which is a crime in itself. It's deeper than Beyoncé didn't win. It's why that problematic - that white people can win major categories willy nilly with little effort but Black people are reduced to the sub-categories. But the not winning makes Lemonade more powerful - a music film that's about Black women being under appreciated. 

it is though because whether it's Beyoncé or Drake or Kendrick - Black people just don't win the main categories as often as their white contemporaries. And I'd like to see an Asian nominated myself so I can see someone like me up there. The white country bloc would never vote for a Black artist. The last one to win was Herbie Hancock in 2008. Taylor winning over Kendrick is proof of it. Janet not being nominated in her peak is proof of it and largely why I don't care anymore. Even Adele knew and pretty much said it when she said "the way you make my black friends feel..." to Bey. I'm not mad though - I knew she wasn't going to win the big awards thanks to precedent. I just think it's sad. They couldn't even label the Black artists right - putting Shirley Caesar name over Cece's face. 

This all is why I swear 1 way or another I don't take these awards that seriously, and just have found so much more happiness with independant & underground artists, with everything, I dont look at these shows as the be all and say all just politics and just about the game of the campaign more than the albums success itself. They do shit cheaply when it comes to blacks and minorities (the R&B Awards not being televised, that shade about Cece) but when it comes to the biggies I kind of see what theyre doing in terms of the patterns of winners, and sadly alot of mainstream minority artist these days dont really follow that Universal appeal that gets AOTY. I mean I dont think U2 or Taylor does either, but Adele, Whitney, even Outkast or Daft Punk I think really do

music tells stories, and the stories that win awards time and time again are well, white.....#OscarsSoWhite......well #GrammysSoWhite too

I disagree, and its not comparable to the Oscars so white thing, especially with Adeles win, again ito about music that trancends all lines. Like it was when Stevie, MJ,  Lionel, Whitney won it and like it was when Outkast won it. Bey didn't lose because shes black.

Edited by jarrylf
  • Upvote 1

And I know someone's going to say "but Beyoncé has the most Grammys" but once again - they're all from the little categories. She's lucky because Janet only has 5 which is a crime in itself. It's deeper than Beyoncé didn't win. It's why that problematic - that white people can win major categories willy nilly with little effort but Black people are reduced to the sub-categories. But the not winning makes Lemonade more powerful - a music film that's about Black women being under appreciated. 

5 but she also has the governor's award from the Grammys so I guess she really has 6

Wow Adele. She had to give Beyoncé her props. This is crazy to dedicate her whole award to Beyoncé .

i thought she was going to walk down and give it to Beyoncé at first.

I don't understand why artists do that. You won. You worked hard to create that album why are you ashamed of winning. Beyonce list because there were to many writers on her album 

This ceremony has shown that as much as Beyonce is well admired and has a big machine of fans and critics behind her, she too has to deal with a glass ceiling.  It makes me curious to see where she will go on from here.

as long as she keeps worshiping the devil and obeying she will go far. Her performance had a demonic feel to it 

• Upvote 1

So we gonna pretend Beyoncé's album was all that and blame her loss on the race card :lmao: yeah.. okay.. pretty sure Black people have won Grammy's.. pretty sure Adele uses black producers and writers

When you go up against Adele... you lose. It's that simple ??‍♂️ 

Lemonade was a better album, according to critics. Black people have won Grammys but rarely the main categories - that is the argument. Read instead of talking stupid, Kellygame. 

You're right - you can have the better music and still lose to Adele. Thanks for clarifying that. 

• Upvote 2

Rihanna didn't win not one fucking grammy for her best album and most nominated era. :mellow:

I'm glad she took it in stride because the camera was on her all night.  Continue to use them for ratings!  Although I guess they use everyone for them. LOL.

Anyway, this was an uneventful celebration.. didn't expect Adele to fucking sweep!  I was sure Sturgill was gonna win because Adele and Bey were gonna split the votes..but Adele is literally a grammy darling who won for a 21 type followup.

Bruno was the best performer of the night.  He did very good.  A Tribe Called Quest brought it down too!  Chance the Rapper is too cute and had a good performance as well.

Busta Rhymes shaded tf outta Trump! :lmao: 

Outside of Rihanna's gif worthy behavior and Bruno, they could have kept this and made it an hour show.

Lemonade was a better album, according to critics. Black people have won Grammys but rarely the main categories - that is the argument. Read instead of talking stupid, Kellygame. 

You're right - you can have the better music and still lose to Adele. Thanks for clarifying that. 

Too bad this wasn't the Critics Choice Awards??‍♂️

Pretty sure black producers and song writers are behind a large percentage of these artists so black people are being recognized for their HARD work. The race card is not valid in pop music. 

"Better music" is subjective and I cannot argue for or against what we consider "better music".

What I can argue is the victims of the Bowling Green Massacre was listening to Beyoncé before the massacre. Coincidence? Who knows :shifty: 

Edited by Game XXIX
  • Upvote 1

I like Beyoncé and I liked Lemonade.. but imo, her performance was far too pretentious, regardless of any hidden/open meaning behind it.. it just wasn't good.. far too over the top.. I don't even recall her smiling even slightly during her 10 min on stage.. she needs to ground herself a little more I think.. Adele just stood in front of the mic and sang her heart out.. that's what people are responding to, Beyoncé has been surrounded by too many who think of her as a legit "queen" for far too long.. she doesn't write any of her songs on her own, she doesn't play any musical instruments, she doesn't even sing live that often.. she's a great entertainer, yes, but not a great musician.. and this is obviously only my opinion, but it's an opinion of someone who's paid to see her in concert twice, purchased two of her previous albums and has been at least a casual fan of hers since the 90's.. but it's too much.. enough is enough

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I like Beyoncé and I liked Lemonade.. but imo, her performance was far too pretentious, regardless of any hidden/open meaning behind it.. it just wasn't good.. far too over the top.. I don't even recall her smiling even slightly during her 10 min on stage.. she needs to ground herself a little more I think.. Adele just stood in front of the mic and sang her heart out.. that's what people are responding to, Beyoncé has been surrounded by too many who think of her as a legit "queen" for far too long.. she doesn't write any of her songs on her own, she doesn't play any musical instruments, she doesn't even sing live that often.. she's a great entertainer, yes, but not a great musician.. and this is obviously only my opinion, but it's an opinion of someone who's paid to see her in concert twice, purchased two of her previous albums and has been at least a casual fan of hers since the 90's.. but it's too much.. enough is enough

I hope you not allergic to Bee stings cause they coming :filenails:

Didn't think one person could pack so much wrong into one post. But alas! 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Don't people vote for the Grammy's? 

So thousands of people VOTED and Adele won the popular vote? 

industry people vote for the grammy awards.. I don't think civilians do, it's not the People's Choice Awards.. but regardless you're correct

Why does she have to smile or humble herself for you?

She is a queen, though. Who else is doing it? No one you stan for.

you are pressed beloved and that's all you needed to say.