The Grammy's 2017

Bailey

Technically, they were talking about a number one song. Let's not pretend like Top 10 singles aren't hits. It's also worth noting that the writer of that article has a history of being as impartial about Beyoncé as you do with the iPhone.

I'll tell you what I'm tired of. The Recording Academy itself defines a Grammy as an award representing artistic or technical achievement. They even specifically state that it is not based on sales or chart positions. We all know that's garbage, but the argument is used very selectively where Beyoncé is concerned. It's not enough that she's at her artistic peak 20 years into her career, now suddenly the Grammys can only validate such creativity with a "monster single" or "less costumes." Save it. As for this committee of songwriters, the article selectively pointed out that several songs on Lemonade are credited to at least a dozen writers, but it made no mention of the number of sampled works, some of which recognise multiple names for a single interpolated line. This article dissects the argument perfectly, but if you'd prefer the TL; DR: a writer count, high or low, doesn’t determine whether a piece of art is good or bad. It’s simply a reflection of how many people are getting credit (and money) for the work. Should that lead to an argument on the artistic merits of sampling, let me point out that it didn't stand in the way of Daft Punk, OutKast, Santana, U2 or Lauryn Hill (to name a handful) collecting AOTY. And your point about lyrical substance is hilarious given Taylor Swift is literally a two-time winner.

I viewed this board with fresh eyes recently after a lengthy break, and for whatever reason, I took a look back through Beyoncé's official thread and also Grammy discussions from previous years, and nothing has changed. She is still the only artist that agitates some of you to such an extent that you simply abandon all logic and reason to make what you think is a point. That same misguided fury has now spread throughout this base onto Twitter where a slew of wrong or foolish shit is posted on a daily basis in what must be an impassioned attempt to look as stupid and as misinformed as possible. Beyoncé didn't win, but she's not the loser here.

#10 for a week then drops back to #19... #flop

what's "good" is subjective... A warehouse full of writers vs. sampling credit is a silly comparison.

i don't have the energy to look up credits of the artists you named. You can do that.

Speaking of things that never change... She's not the winner of the AOTY award either ??‍♂️

Edited by Game XXIX
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1