Janet's Top 5 Live Performances! (Video) Agree?!

Dal

To save every time: SEX @ BMAs, IGL @ Rosie, TTWLG/If @ VMAs, DRM @ VMAs. Scream @ VMAs. 

Absolutely ridiculous choices. How do you forget WA @ Vogue VH1, Nothing/Nasty @ Americal Idol, Grammys 1987, or Control @ AMAs??? And they probably wonder why I won't stop trolling their ridiculousness. :sigh: 

Their list is definitely solid & I can understand every choice. I would add SNL 94, and I might have switched s couple of those performances around. She killed BBA, and I wasn't bothered by the outfits at all. If anything I didn't care for the VMA - DRM look at all. The Goth was always weird to me. 

I saw someone mention American Idol, that shit was captivating because she looked good but the performance - besides "Nothing" vocally - Nasty was just a strut fest. There was no real performance. What About - Vh1 was an impactful performance but these were all consistent. I like the list. 

• Upvote 2

I saw someone mention American Idol, that shit was captivating because she looked good but the performance - besides "Nothing" vocally - Nasty was just a strut fest. There was no real performance. What About - Vh1 was an impactful performance but these were all consistent. I like the list. 

The AI performance is an perfect example of her knowledge of how to fully use a stage, storytelling and organization in choreography, and flexibility in dance. :huh:

Must be watching two different performances then. 

Na we just have different perspectives. Nasty literally was her walking from each side of the stage in heels strutting with an occasional leg move or arm move here and there. At one point she steps over a dance puts her foot on him & bends but for the most part there wasn't any real extensive choreography. It was very lax & beyond her AMAZING look - it was anticlimactic or uneventful. 

• Upvote 1

Na we just have different perspectives. Nasty literally was her walking from each side of the stage in heels strutting with an occasional leg move or arm move here and there. At one point she steps over a dance puts her foot on him & bends but for the most part there wasn't any real extensive choreography. It was very lax & beyond her AMAZING look - it was anticlimactic or uneventful. 

Two vastly ddifferent perspectives, clearly,  because all of which you described is part of the storytelling of the routine. 

Two vastly ddifferent perspectives, clearly,  because all of which you described is part of the storytelling of the routine. 

Ok so tell me what the story was? What was the story line, or the message, at what point of the story would you call it a climax...like what was the "story"?

I'll give my own example of her doing a storytelling performance but I genuinely do want to hear what you saw as the story?

Ok so tell me what the story was? What was the story line, or the message, at what point of the story would you call it a climax...like what was the "story"?

I'll give my own example of her doing a storytelling performance but I genuinely do want to hear what you saw as the story?

The whole performance of "Nasty" was a story of Janet being in control (no pun intended) of her relationships, and telling guys to act right if they want a chance.

Basically all the guys are vying for Janet's attention, and their steps reflect that - they lean back as she comes through, they take turns going up to her showing their moves, the shirts coming off, they follow her as she traverses the stage. Look carefully at the dancer in the white shirt at 5:25 next to Janet. Notice around 6:02 she's dissatisfied and she pushes the guys away. Go to 6:05. The guys are on one side, and Janet on the other because she's getting a good look at all of them and scoping out which one she wants. Then around 6:35 she lines them up to choose, she points to the ground to make the guy fall and steps on the guys back to show she's in control (again no pun intended). End the end, the guys were all nasty, so she didn't choose one (she was over them after the "Ms. Jackson if you're nasty" line). 

And aside from the storytelling, look how organized the routine is (Jazz style start to finish). Genius choice of style because Jazz dance was born from African-American rhythms that would later influence the New Jack Swing sound of "Nasty", and because Jazz dance often features paired dancing (male-female). This is easily one of her best performances to date, top 10 if you ask me. 

• Upvote 2

The whole performance of "Nasty" was a story of Janet being in control (no pun intended) of her relationships, and telling guys to act right if they want a chance.

Basically all the guys are vying for Janet's attention, and their steps reflect that - they lean back as she comes through, they take turns going up to her showing their moves, the shirts coming off, they follow her as she traverses the stage. Look carefully at the dancer in the white shirt at 5:25 next to Janet. Notice around 6:02 she's dissatisfied and she pushes the guys away. Go to 6:05. The guys are on one side, and Janet on the other because she's getting a good look at all of them and scoping out which one she wants. Then around 6:35 she lines them up to choose, she points to the ground to make the guy fall and steps on the guys back to show she's in control (again no pun intended). End the end, the guys were all nasty, so she didn't choose one (she was over them after the "Ms. Jackson if you're nasty" line). 

And aside from the storytelling, look how organized the routine is (Jazz style start to finish). Genius choice of style because Jazz dance was born from African-American rhythms that would later influence the New Jack Swing sound of "Nasty", and because Jazz dance often features paired dancing (male-female). This is easily one of her best performances to date, top 10 if you ask me. 

In my opinion that was the deepest overthinking & stretch of an analysis I've seen of Janet's work or performance. I'll let you have it because you really dug deep for that but I am willing to bet money you're the only one including Janet that saw it like that. Essentially you took the lyrical "concept" of Nasty & broke it down to a doctoral level & related it to that performance. 

To me, when Janet is telling a story it looks like the RWU tour. Good Janet vs Evil Janet. Speaking about the industry trying to take her music, trying to take her faith/soul, fighting for her right to express herself. Then literally ending with a fight over good & evil - blacked out lights to show that Good will prevail when she comes out in all white. That's a story with a story line, a middle, a climax, & an ending - as well as a clear message. AI was merely a light performance where it looked like she said, I don't want to dance too much...we don't have much time let's put something light together. And boom - you have a catsuit & strutting around "nasty" boys. Not a historical lesson on New Jack Swing, the evolution of African American music, & her seeking relationship suitors. 

In my opinion that was the deepest overthinking & stretch of an analysis I've seen of Janet's work or performance. I'll let you have it because you really dug deep for that but I am willing to bet money you're the only one including Janet that saw it like that. Essentially you took the lyrical "concept" of Nasty & broke it down to a doctoral level & related it to that performance. 

To me, when Janet is telling a story it looks like the RWU tour. Good Janet vs Evil Janet. Speaking about the industry trying to take her music, trying to take her faith/soul, fighting for her right to express herself. Then literally ending with a fight over good & evil - blacked out lights to show that Good will prevail when she comes out in all white. That's a story with a story line, a middle, a climax, & an ending - as well as a clear message. AI was merely a light performance where it looked like she said, I don't want to dance too much...we don't have much time let's put something light together. And boom - you have a catsuit & strutting around "nasty" boys. Not a historical lesson on New Jack Swing, the evolution of African American music, & her seeking relationship suitors. 

Oh dear. You called my description of the performance "over thinking", but proceeded to provide an analysis of another Janet performance in the following paragraph. It would be a safe assumption to conclude that your knowledge of dance is minimal, correct?  Dance is form of expression (aka "art") whose interpretation of it is based on its audience, hence why it's called "art". There's no right or wrong answer. This AI performance is similar to SOTW @ RN1814 Tour in that she's telling a story of society's issues, the same way she personified violence with WA @ Vogue VH1, the female imagination with "If", and her zealous approach in RN. These are driving concepts of her choreography, and the dance has to match the message of the music, or the dance is ineffective, and outright pointless. You can learn more about it here

Oh dear. You called my description of the performance "over thinking", but proceeded to provide an analysis of another Janet performance in the following paragraph. It would be a safe assumption to conclude that your knowledge of dance is minimal, correct?  Dance is form of expression (aka "art") whose interpretation of it is based on its audience, hence why it's called "art". There's no right or wrong answer. This AI performance is similar to SOTW @ RN1814 Tour in that she's telling a story of society's issues, the same way she personified violence with WA @ Vogue VH1, the female imagination with "If", and her zealous approach in RN. These are driving concepts of her choreography, and the dance has to match the message of the music, or the dance is ineffective, and outright pointless. You can learn more about it here

I'm aware, I disagree with AI being that. I didn't given an analysis I gave a quote of a literal story she told. 

We can agree to disagree. The other performances you spoke of were a clearer message, the AI performance wasn't that. But if that's what you solely saw - hey, Janet got herself one. I think for just about everybody else they didn't feel any of that. 

I'm aware, I disagree with AI being that. I didn't given an analysis I gave a quote of a literal story she told. 

We can agree to disagree. The other performances you spoke of were a clearer message, the AI performance wasn't that. But if that's what you solely saw - hey, Janet got herself one. I think for just about everybody else they didn't feel any of that. 

Well you can't speak for others and their interpretation of the performance. Don't attribute your ignorance to others. But in the meantime, definitely check out that link and read up on the performance aspect of dance so that you can have a healthier discussion about this topic.

Well you can't speak for others and their interpretation of the performance. Don't attribute your ignorance to others. But in the meantime, definitely check out that link and read up on the performance aspect of dance so that you can have a healthier discussion about this topic.

Stop acting intelligent about some shit you're just being disagreed with. I'm more than knowledgeable about the evolution & roots of dance Janet just didn't convey this deep message & direction that you're trying to turn that performance into. And IF that was her goal she missed the mark. You literally are the only who read that deep into her strutting around in high heels. You don't see anyone else jumping to your aide or EVER having mentioned anything remotely close to your overzealous dissertation. 

You can call it ignorance, lol, so be it. Nonetheless, that lackluster performance is not her best. If it is Mariah's performance of Honey is one of the greatest of all time. It took the same effort.