[Let's play!] The Abandoned Hits

feehgarcia

You know what's crazy everyone around me, even non Janet fans, loved Rock With U, but I was always indifferent about it. Like I like it but I wasn't crazy about it. 

I would say a very abandoned "hit" or more so classic is Funny How Time Flies. Janet needs to give this more attention it was popular amongst the ppl. Someone to Call My Lover too. Definitely Go Deep & I always wished she performed 24play. 

• Upvote 5

RWU did def flop... but I admit I liked it when it was released and still do.. the video was pretty cool too.. it came out before/around Ne-Yo's Closer and a lot of folks attributed the rise of the EDM/Electronic influence in recent pop songs to Closer (and BEP's I Gotta Feeling).. but I always felt like RWU should've been a bigger hit than it was(n't)..

RWU did def flop... but I admit I liked it when it was released and still do.. the video was pretty cool too.. it came out before/around Ne-Yo's Closer and a lot of folks attributed the rise of the EDM/Electronic influence in recent pop songs to Closer (and BEP's I Gotta Feeling).. but I always felt like RWU should've been a bigger hit than it was(n't)..

The entire process that surrounded that album leaves a lot to mystery. If Janet ever had the potential to make it bigger or if it just wasn't good enough. Seriously RWU was a favorite amongst ppl that are not at all real Janet fans. Plus the video showed a little bit of difference with her dancing too and that was dope - but I just wasn't crazy about the song overall. 

Her clash with LA Reid really deaded that album, but in all honesty I feel the whole look & marketing for Janet post DJ really struggled. She needed a much better creative approach. 

• Upvote 4

I like it too but it's not Single-worthy.. it flopped. She performed it on 29947 different popular tv shows and made a video and it didn't touch Billboard 100. 

It was never gonna be a hit.. LA Reid is an idiot

Edited by Game XXIX

lmao exactly she did not perform that song a lot or even push it much, and she actually didn't have much time to really push much of the album at all. But when I saw she performed it on "29947 different popular tv shows" I was like, nah. She didn't. 

my number was exaggerated obviously. That doesn't mean the rest of my statement is too. The song remains to be shit and Janet's worst single ever

just bc you "know" a few non-fans (aka general public) who likes it doesn't mean it was a good single choice.... bc it wasn't. It was the WORST... i.e. Donald Trump 

Edited by Game XXIX

my number was exaggerated obviously. That doesn't mean the rest of my statement is too. The song remains to be shit and Janet's worst single ever

just bc you "know" a few non-fans (aka general public) who likes it doesn't mean it was a good single choice.... bc it wasn't. It was the WORST... i.e. Donald Trump 

I didn't say it was a good single choice. So what the hell are you talking about, most things you say are exaggerated. And I'm sure if this was the Discipline era & your critique came from any other fan, you'd be calling them "The Great Depressed" or any other corny ass name you make up. 

Funny how when your opinion isn't praising Janet no one jumps down your throat, remember this when others have an opposing opinion. 

I didn't say it was a good single choice.

And I'm sure if this was the Discipline era & your critique came from any other fan, you'd be calling them "The Great Depressed" or any other corny ass name you make up. 

Funny how when your opinion isn't praising Janet no one jumps down your throat, remember this when others have an opposing opinion. 

Cool.. as long as we're on the same page that the song is garbage 

feel free to read back my post history. FYI:  The Great Depression era started in 2015. Sooooo I'll rate your libelous comment: FALSE

My opinion is based on fact.. RWU was the worst single Janet ever released (even tho LA SHIT forced her to). The song is wack.. the video is amazing

The entire process that surrounded that album leaves a lot to mystery. If Janet ever had the potential to make it bigger or if it just wasn't good enough. Seriously RWU was a favorite amongst ppl that are not at all real Janet fans. Plus the video showed a little bit of difference with her dancing too and that was dope - but I just wasn't crazy about the song overall. 

Her clash with LA Reid really deaded that album, but in all honesty I feel the whole look & marketing for Janet post DJ really struggled. She needed a much better creative approach. 

everything before DJ seemed so polished and well put together ...cohesive, after AFY it just was kinda too many cooks in the kitchen as Jimmy said

• Upvote 3

I mean there was a time when certain artists you just bought their albums because you knew they would deliver and it was gonna be on point, Janet was that artist, she did it, after Control it was on, anything she put out charted well, then she wanted to keep up with the kids and try new producers when those producers maybe didnt work for her brand, Kayne for example, I think his work on DJ would have done better if he gave it to Alicia Keys

I mean there was a time when certain artists you just bought their albums because you knew they would deliver and it was gonna be on point, Janet was that artist, she did it, after Control it was on, anything she put out charted well, then she wanted to keep up with the kids and try new producers when those producers maybe didnt work for her brand, Kayne for example, I think his work on DJ would have done better if he gave it to Alicia Keys

Ooooh I love you brought this into the convo. I actually think that My Baby is one of the better songs on DJ & in retrospect I think DJ is very good album. Might have been better received if it wasn't shadowed with drama. 

BUT! I'm going to say this & a lot of fans might not like or agree, but a lot that happened around/after DJ was partially on Janet too. Yes, there were definitely too many cooks in the kitchen. Also, there were terrible single choices, I feel like All Nite was a great video & choreo but eh single choice in my opinion. I think Janet allowed the wrong influences in & anyone who has been a fan long enough knows that Janet's love interest have heavy influence over her work. At times, it made me question HER creative direction for herself & how much of it has always been her? Letting anyone take you in a direction so far & outside of great creativity without stopping & saying "Nah, this doesn't work" just makes me go hmmmm?

Rene & Janet were a dynamic creative team. Janet seemed to lose her creativity & evolution after AFY, partially it has to do with the team & who is in that position also it has to do with not knowing when to switch them out. Janet's image became lackluster, her look was weird at times, the delivery was lazy, some of that rebellious - out loud fighter she had in her in previous albums touching on things that moved her disappeared. 

I understand that (super bowl) experience was defining, demoralizing, & destabilizing but besides an SNL she barely confronted it. It wasn't until Unbreakable that we got to experience the authenticity of Janet again. 

• Upvote 5

Ooooh I love you brought this into the convo. I actually think that My Baby is one of the better songs on DJ & in retrospect I think DJ is very good album. Might have been better received if it wasn't shadowed with drama. 

BUT! I'm going to say this & a lot of fans might not like or agree, but a lot that happened around/after DJ was partially on Janet too. Yes, there were definitely too many cooks in the kitchen. Also, there were terrible single choices, I feel like All Nite was a great video & choreo but eh single choice in my opinion. I think Janet allowed the wrong influences in & anyone who has been a fan long enough knows that Janet's love interest have heavy influence over her work. At times, it made me question HER creative direction for herself & how much of it has always been her? Letting anyone take you in a direction so far & outside of great creativity without stopping & saying "Nah, this doesn't work" just makes me go hmmmm?

Rene & Janet were a dynamic creative team. Janet seemed to lose her creativity & evolution after AFY, partially it has to do with the team & who is in that position also it has to do with not knowing when to switch them out. Janet's image became lackluster, her look was weird at times, the delivery was lazy, some of that rebellious - out loud fighter she had in her in previous albums touching on things that moved her disappeared. 

I understand that (super bowl) experience was defining, demoralizing, & destabilizing but besides an SNL she barely confronted it. It wasn't until Unbreakable that we got to experience the authenticity of Janet again. 

I didnt like My Baby but I do love that album and it would have undoubtedly done well if it wasn't for the fiasco (was Kanye even big in 2004?) I personally don't see a problem with an artist trying new producers, in fact I think DJ is a good example of that.  Anyway, Jimmy already stated that Janet said she didn't really have much to talk about at that time, yet she still had 3 albums she had fulfill right? Go figure...

I didnt like My Baby but I do love that album and it would have undoubtedly done well if it wasn't for the fiasco (was Kanye even big in 2004?) I personally don't see a problem with an artist trying new producers, in fact I think DJ is a good example of that.  Anyway, Jimmy already stated that Janet said she didn't really have much to talk about at that time, yet she still had 3 albums she had fulfill right? Go figure...

Kanye was huge at that time. He was one of the most anticipated artist. Janet had more than enough to talk about she decided for multiple albums not to go there for whatever reason. Maybe she felt she could only make it worse. 

Kanye was a great producer at the time. Producing Alicia Keys, Brandy, and other R&B forgettables. 

Janet wanted out of Virgin probably post-AFY... Definitely after Damita Jo... and she had only two albums to fulfill post-AFY (and a GH)

• Upvote 1

I would like to see most of those songs performed again! My favorites were State of the World, Go Deep, and STCML.  Personally, I think she should retain some of her album tracks and perform them more often on tour. Many of them don't deserve their "abandoned" status :lol:. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought RWU was a bit ahead of the curve though (even if it's a bit underwhelming). Definitely should have done better everywhere. 

• Upvote 3