[Let's play!] The Abandoned Hits

feehgarcia

Kanye was huge at that time. He was one of the most anticipated artist. Janet had more than enough to talk about she decided for multiple albums not to go there for whatever reason. Maybe she felt she could only make it worse. 

I think this is the most likely reason tbh. Maybe since she already issued an apology for it maybe she thought defending herself or expressing her own views about it through music would fan the flames more. She stood up for Michael (as she should!) better than she stood up for herself at the time. Great points earlier also! Janet is usually very disciplined with her career moves so it was very odd that she would drop the ball like that. I'd just add that the DJ single choices themselves I think were fine. I just think there should have been more and released in a different/better order. I don't think Janet would have gotten much label support to keep singles and promotion to DJ afloat though. 

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed DJ and what little greatness came of that era (SNL).. I did always think that All Nite was an odd single choice, thought JALW was promising, but right off the bat sounded way too poppy for my liking.. The fact that it had such a strong first week on radio (before being ripped out of every national playlist) was merely due to Janet's status at the time leading into that new era. IWY did moderately ok, but I always felt that My Baby would've charted better and warranted a better video.. I also felt Sexhibition would've been a decent performer on radio at the time, even if it ended up being the watered-down Walmart version lol..

• Upvote 1

when JALW came out Janet was still seen as the artist that as soon as she puts something out we playing it.....then she had the blacklist, it didnt happen overnight because stations were still playing her new stuff, even up to the release of All NIte, but when it did hit....boy did it :coffee:

I enjoyed DJ and what little greatness came of that era (SNL).. I did always think that All Nite was an odd single choice, thought JALW was promising, but right off the bat sounded way too poppy for my liking.. The fact that it had such a strong first week on radio (before being ripped out of every national playlist) was merely due to Janet's status at the time leading into that new era. IWY did moderately ok, but I always felt that My Baby would've charted better and warranted a better video.. I also felt Sexhibition would've been a decent performer on radio at the time, even if it ended up being the watered-down Walmart version lol..

Will & Grave also was gifted unto by Damita Jo.. Damita Jo era fueled her started her television fling. She really wanted to get into acting during that time than ever before. Unfortunately it was with Atlanta's richest power bottoms but that happened towards 20 YO. 

2004 was a confusing climate for many. The internet age was growing and Hollywood didn't know how to handle it (downloading basically began to take main stream). And when JALW leaked Virgin wanted to "catch up" with it.. Push everything up... It didn't land right. It wasn't good timing bc of her the original wardrobe malfunction either.

My Baby should have been first single. It would have changed the subject a bit to focus on her weird relationship with that peasant DJ from Atlanta. Plus the up and coming rapper, Kanye West is featured. 

OMG I hate the clean version of Damita Jo :lol: 

Edited by Game XXIX
  • Upvote 1

Will & Grave also was gifted unto by Damita Jo.. Damita Jo era fueled her started her television fling. She really wanted to get into acting during that time than ever before. Unfortunately it was with Atlanta's richest power bottoms but that happened towards 20 YO. 

2004 was a confusing climate for many. The internet age was growing and Hollywood didn't know how to handle it (downloading basically began to take main stream). And when JALW leaked Virgin wanted to "catch up" with it.. Push everything up... It didn't land right. It wasn't good timing bc of her the original wardrobe malfunction either.

My Baby should have been first single. It would have changed the subject a bit to focus on her weird relationship with that peasant DJ from Atlanta. Plus the up and coming rapper, Kanye West is featured. 

OMG I hate the clean version of Damita Jo :lol: 

are you high? :unsure:    drunk? :unsure:  pass the joint tho I got my drank :coffee:

Oh there's no doubting that Janet didn't intend that blacklisting to deminish her career the way it did, but for me IWY is a good single, My Baby had potential by Summer she could have went with Island Life. All Nite was weird to me just in general even though the choreo is the shit. She definitely didn't have the financial and label support as much as she would or usually did have. 

I think about how iconic it would have been to make a FUCK YOU or rebel album. If she kinda would have went Rogue - or even did an album titled Rogue & let it all loose from industry attacking to blacklisting to making it all work on her terms. The sad part is she had very few industry backers & endorsers. Tech was still advancing at that point so it was a little hard to go so hard. 

JALW was very pop, but if I remember correctly it leaked so they went with it just to get ahead of the leak. Overall DJ was and is good but it went down hill after. Even though I felt Discipline showed she could do what everyone else was doing & make it work but it just wasn't her. 

• Upvote 1

Oh there's no doubting that Janet didn't intend that blacklisting to deminish her career the way it did, but for me IWY is a good single, My Baby had potential by Summer she could have went with Island Life. All Nite was weird to me just in general even though the choreo is the shit. She definitely didn't have the financial and label support as much as she would or usually did have. 

I think about how iconic it would have been to make a FUCK YOU or rebel album. If she kinda would have went Rogue - or even did ab album titled Rogue & let it all loose from industry attacking to blacklisting to making it all work on her terms. The sad part is she had very few industry backers & endorsers. Tech was still advancing at that point so it was a little hard to go so hard. 

JALW was very pop, but if I remember correctly it leaked so they went with it just to get ahead of the leak. Overall DJ was and is good but it went down hill after. Even though I felt Discipline showed she could do what everyone else was doing & make it work but it just wasn't her. 

one thing classy Janet has always done is she never claps back ....she doesn't invite the shit show...I think going "I'm Mad" would have fueled the haters

JALW was a TLC take....that would have worked for maybe either one, but not the best, her best out the gate debut single was "All For You" hit em hard hit em fast, thus making that album her biggest and fastest selling of them all  

one thing classy Janet has always done is she never claps back ....she doesn't invite the shit show...I think going "I'm Mad" would have fueled the haters

JALW was a TLC take....that would have worked for maybe either one, but not the best, her best out the gate debut single was "All For You" hit em hard hit em fast, thus making that album her biggest and fastest selling of them all  

Janet DEFINITELY had clap back. Son of a Gun, You Ain't Right, Truth, Madonna, in the 90s her public fight with LaToya on how she treated MJ, Scream, it wasn't until that era that she humbled that clap back. Shit in the interview during 20YO when they talk about weight loss...& claim she had surgery she says those rumors makes her want to kick someone's ass. During the VR era when she said on the tour MTV interview that the ppl who wrote the article about her breast have no life & nothing better to do. She's always had the clap back. 

Thats part of what was disappointing to me - TGF is her recent clap back attempt. She decided to be silent instead of actually letting her music be her diary. I think DJ was her diary but it focused on her new found love instead of the industry politics. 

Janet DEFINITELY had clap back. Son of a Gun, You Ain't Right, Truth, Madonna, in the 90s her public fight with LaToya on how she treated MJ, Scream, it wasn't until that era that she humbled that clap back. Shit in the interview during 20YO when they talk about weight loss...& claim she had surgery she says those rumors makes her want to kick someone's ass. During the VR era when she said on the tour MTV interview that the ppl who wrote the article about her breast have no life & nothing better to do. She's always had the clap back. 

Thats part of what was disappointing to me - TGF is her recent clap back attempt. She decided to be silent instead of actually letting her music be her diary. I think DJ was her diary but it focused on her new found love instead of the industry politics. 

she answered questions....she didnt come out swinging for hoes ....I dont see it as clap back....if she ever had any moment she needed/wanted to clap back DJ was it...instead she took the year off ...instead of the tour we never saw

she answered questions....she didnt come out swinging for hoes ....I dont see it as clap back....if she ever had any moment she needed/wanted to clap back DJ was it...instead she took the year off ...instead of the tour we never saw

Yea the tours didn't happen because sponsors pulled out of supporting her. She lost her whole support system. She literally was blackballed, and didn't decide to clap back. 

I just know Janet has clap back in her. She literally always has, she has done it in classy ways & she has done it in aggressive ways. Very few will remember this & MAYBE JanetMedia has it but during the SNL 94 promo she has a commercial promoting her on the show with Heather Locklear & they say something along the lines of "We're gonna have a great show," & Janet responds - "As long as LaToya doesn't show up." Janetmedia used to have this video. 

Also don't forget the infamous video of her & Michael going off in the car at the courthouse. Janet is not a prime & proper individual, "A little lady a whole lotta class but do me wrong I'll get in that ass" she's a class act for sure but the fight is in her. 

Yea the tours didn't happen because sponsors pulled out of supporting her. She lost her whole support system. She literally was blackballed, and didn't decide to clap back. 

I just know Janet has clap back in her. She literally always has, she has done it in classy ways & she has done it in aggressive ways. Very few will remember this & MAYBE JanetMedia has it but during the SNL 94 promo she has a commercial promoting her on the show with Heather Locklear & they say something along the lines of "We're gonna have a great show," & Janet responds - "As long as LaToya doesn't show up." Janetmedia used to have this video. 

Also don't forget the infamous video of her & Michael going off in the car at the courthouse. Janet is not a prime & proper individual, "A little lady a whole lotta class but do me wrong I'll get in that ass" she's a class act for sure but the fight is in her. 

Janet went off at the court house because the police were abusing the fans that came out ....they stopped the limo rolled the window down like ...dont do that, that aint right stop that shit...and she was right ....the police was starting shit...nothing new :coffee:

• Upvote 1

Janet went off at the court house because the police were abusing the fans that came out ....they stopped the limo rolled the window down like ...dont do that, that aint right stop that shit...and she was right ....the police was starting shit...nothing new :coffee:

Exactly if she can do that, and make songs with Mike like Scream, TGF, YAR, New Agenda, Can't Be Stopped - I know she had so much to say. Part of me wishes I could have been a fly on the wall during those times & meetings. I hurt for the direction her career went. 

get yaself a personal pipe then.. just stuff it n smoke it... prolly similar to how yo weekends go

Get one? I had mine for 4 years now. 

Weekends? I work retail... there's no such thing as weekends*

* - I have every other off but my weekends are dedicated to murdering my kidneys with alcohol 

Edited by Game XXIX

Kanye was huge at that time. He was one of the most anticipated artist. Janet had more than enough to talk about she decided for multiple albums not to go there for whatever reason. Maybe she felt she could only make it worse. 

Kanye was a great producer at the time. Producing Alicia Keys, Brandy, and other R&B forgettables. 

Janet wanted out of Virgin probably post-AFY... Definitely after Damita Jo... and she had only two albums to fulfill post-AFY (and a GH)

Maybe that's why...maybe she thought "fcuk it these bitches aint getting another quality album out of me". Then again that don't explain Discipline does it...

Maybe that's why...maybe she thought "fcuk it these bitches aint getting another quality album out of me". Then again that don't explain Discipline does it...

I don't think that's why, I think she realizes it would have compromise her brand to be lackluster. Honestly, I think it's a mix of things. I think she might have been in a position where the label was strict about letting her say & do certain things to not make it any worse & she didn't have much support. 

Also, I feel Janet didn't have many GREAT creatives around her anymore. Seriously, Gil is a great person but he has TRASH creativity. She's been stifled with him. Discipline was a decent album to me. Not her worse. 

• Upvote 1

She wanted to try something new.. despite it not being broken (in 2001).. maybe she enjoyed working with other and she def' put to bed the "what if {insert producer} worked with Janet.." questions.. they all tried to do the same shit... make her sound like Old Janet or her brother Michael. Not one of the producers made her sound fresh and new except for Jimmy/Terry (and the example is Unbreakable) which sounds like Janet Jackson but JJ of 2015 and not trying to take old and dust it up  as new 

With Discipline, I think someone convinced her to sit back and see what other producers have for her. I wish I knew her mindset then

• Upvote 3

I don't think that's why, I think she realizes it would have compromise her brand to be lackluster. Honestly, I think it's a mix of things. I think she might have been in a position where the label was strict about letting her say & do certain things to not make it any worse & she didn't have much support. 

Also, I feel Janet didn't have many GREAT creatives around her anymore. Seriously, Gil is a great person but he has TRASH creativity. She's been stifled with him. Discipline was a decent album to me. Not her worse. 

Gil has nothing to do with Discipline :sigh: or any album for that matter

Edited by Game XXIX

Not album but creative dilvery of the project. The looks, performance that kind of thing. I think some stuff could have been better delivered to salvage some things

No ones talking about her performances/choreography 

Gil had to work with shit songs for three eras. I think he fine given the shit songs he had to deal with