• Announcements

• Planet Janet Rules   07/07/2015

General Rules for Planet Janet Welcome to Planet Janet! The main objective of this board is to express your love for Janet, your opinions, and to interact with an important segment of the Janet fandom.  To enjoy your experience here, below are general rules and guidelines to make your experience here be successful: The N Word Please be aware that the N word is going to be filtered on this forum. Most importantly, this word is not acceptable on this forum in any form; therefore, if it is used again by ANY member on here, it will result in an immediate and permanent ban. Consider this the first, only, and last warning regarding this. Music Download | Copyright Infringement Illegal download links to music from any artist are not permissible to be posted on this forum at any time. If you have posted an illegal download link, you must take it down immediately. Failure to remove the links, and/or subsequent, repeated offenses will result in disciplinary action up to and including a permanent ban from the forum. Fan Threads of Other Artists Generally, we like to keep threads and/or topics about other artists within an Official Artist Thread.  This helps to eliminate clutter and redundancy throughout the forum and allow a one-stop shop to view comments on that particular artist not pertaining to Janet.  If there is HUGE news related to an artist and generates a lot of discussion, it is okay to have a standalone thread on that topic outside of the Official Thread. A good debate is OKAY in the Official Threads of other artists.  Official Threads are not complete sanctuaries of devotion of that particular artist; however, there is a need to be civil with other members.  Please refrain from personal attacks and arguments that devolve into personal attacks. Additionally, do NOT use Janet as means to defend an artist.  This forum is made in her honor, and putting her down to boast your particular artist is prohibited. Exercise good judgment and common sense.  If not, then the moderating team will exercise disciplinary action depending on the egregiousness of the action.  Please utilize this announcement as a first warning. Personal Attacks

Each member has a warning percentage - most of them are at zero right now but a few have been warned before. Each warning is worth 10%, and once it gets to 100% the member is automatically banned from the forum. 

Each time a member gets into an argument with another member that includes personal attacks, if it is reported or viewed by a member of the moderating team, each participant in the personal attack will get an increase in their warning percentage.  They will be notified via PM, and, prior to posting again, will receive a receipt acknowledging that warning before they can post again. The Moderating Team will never divulge a member's warn percentages on the forum or to other members.

What this means is you are now responsible for your own future on this forum. The Moderating Team will not keep asking you to stop and being ignored. Learn to let things go and learn to moderate yourself before posting; if you end up banned it will be your own fault. Personal attacks and include attacks on one’s race, age, religious creed, color, gender, national origin, physical, mental or visual disability, medical condition, ancestry, marital and military status, pregnancy or sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression and general physical appearance/looks. Depending on the nature of the personal attack there will be corrective action up and including permanent banning. If you have any inquiries about your warning percentage, feel free to PM a mod for an answer. If you need any clarification on the rules, feel free to reach out to The Moderating Team.

[Let's play!] The Abandoned Hits

61 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

No ones talking about her performances/choreography 

Gil had to work with shit songs for three eras. I think he fine given the shit songs he had to deal with 

Your opinion. Not mine. 

Posted · Report post

:lol: 

its too much work. 

thats why you get you a friend that loves doing that work :lol:

Posted · Report post

With Janet, like any artist, it's all about timing and single choice.  Some of that is simply tough to predict.  The reason that albums like Control and RN went 7 singles deep are partly because they were on the defining edge of pop music of the time.  The evolution of New Jack Swing literally IS the Control album, and RN in many ways represented its pinnacle, as evidenced by the fact that not only Janet, but Jimmy and Terry could virtually do no musical wrong between 1986 and 1992/3.  That's why it's easy to predict that a song like State of the World (with appropriate marketing) would have canned another mega-hit for RN.  

But once that "Imperial period" passes... for Janet it was the RN through Janet era, the insurance of hit records fades quickly.  So no matter how good the music is which comes after, there is little guarantee that anything will be a bonafide hit.  I personally think that gems like China Love and Trust a Try from AFY had the potential, but it just wouldn't have been a sure bet.  Though Discipline is not my favorite Janet album, the song LUV is epic and as good/ innovative as anything she's ever done.  I also really like Rock With U, but I think the issue there is that it just felt too much like another artist would've done that song.  Not sure why.  

Posted · Report post

With Janet, like any artist, it's all about timing and single choice.  Some of that is simply tough to predict.  The reason that albums like Control and RN went 7 singles deep are partly because they were on the defining edge of pop music of the time.  The evolution of New Jack Swing literally IS the Control album, and RN in many ways represented its pinnacle, as evidenced by the fact that not only Janet, but Jimmy and Terry could virtually do no musical wrong between 1986 and 1992/3.  That's why it's easy to predict that a song like State of the World (with appropriate marketing) would have canned another mega-hit for RN.  

But once that "Imperial period" passes... for Janet it was the RN through Janet era, the insurance of hit records fades quickly.  So no matter how good the music is which comes after, there is little guarantee that anything will be a bonafide hit.  I personally think that gems like China Love and Trust a Try from AFY had the potential, but it just wouldn't have been a sure bet.  Though Discipline is not my favorite Janet album, the song LUV is epic and as good/ innovative as anything she's ever done.  I also really like Rock With U, but I think the issue there is that it just felt too much like another artist would've done that song.  Not sure why.  

Discipline is not that bad an album. Matter of fact Luv could have done great, So Much Betta could have lended itself to a great video - Daft Punk singles tend to be gold & she could have really killed some dance & futurism with it, maybe Rollercoaster & Curtains too. But I know it had potential. 

Then the live press look, outfits, choreo it was all just very weird to me. The wig she wore on the GMA & MTV, the whole thing just was off. The little ball they used to be a part of the choreo to feel like a planet. Just wasn't into it. 

Posted · Report post

Matter fact I can even see What's Ur Name having been a single, and a video where Janet is dressed slightly masculine & pursuing a guy like guys pursue girls. Still looking beautiful and long hair like DJ era but really going after the guy with her girls. I think Discipline had potential 

Posted · Report post

thats why you get you a friend that loves doing that work :lol:

I work alone :coffee: :lol: 

i don't like the additives (using blunts with tobacco) and the mess of rolling papers 

Posted · Report post

Matter fact I can even see What's Ur Name having been a single, and a video where Janet is dressed slightly masculine & pursuing a guy like guys pursue girls. Still looking beautiful and long hair like DJ era but really going after the guy with her girls. I think Discipline had potential 

Add a rapper and that song would have been fire EXCEPT the fact that she mentions a Blackberry in 2008 :umm: instead of iPhone 

when I belt that song I say "iPhone" :lol: 

Posted · Report post

I work alone :coffee: :lol: 

i don't like the additives (using blunts with tobacco) and the mess of rolling papers 

u should use all natural Raw they dont have additives

Posted · Report post

u should use all natural Raw they dont have additives

Still requires rolling which is too much. I have a pipe 

Posted · Report post

Though Discipline is not my favorite Janet album, the song LUV is epic and as good/ innovative as anything she's ever done.  I also really like Rock With U, but I think the issue there is that it just felt too much like another artist would've done that song.  Not sure why.  

That was always my thing with Discipline, that (bar Feedback and Luv - and im being generous with Luv) I wonder if id like the songs I do if Janet wasn't singing it. It completely loses its footing for me after Cant Be Good (I  just had to remind myself of that song ^_^ always forget it but like it). I too would like to have known Janets mindset at this time.

Posted · Report post

Discipline is not that bad an album. Matter of fact Luv could have done great, So Much Betta could have lended itself to a great video - Daft Punk singles tend to be gold & she could have really killed some dance & futurism with it, maybe Rollercoaster & Curtains too. But I know it had potential. 

Then the live press look, outfits, choreo it was all just very weird to me. The wig she wore on the GMA & MTV, the whole thing just was off. The little ball they used to be a part of the choreo to feel like a planet. Just wasn't into it. 

Interesting point, and I have to agree that So Much Betta fits quite well in the Trap Era.  Somebody do a #SoMuchBettaChallenge and see if it goes viral!!