AFY HBO intro screw-up/re-do...?

Dal

Has there ever been any footage of the HBO AFY failed opening/intro where the huge white curtain got caught/stuck while it was being pulled up to reveal Janet high up on the platform? I was always under the impression that it happened live on HBO and that they had to restart the whole show on live TV, but I'm sensing that the concert was actually pre-recorded (unlike the HBO VR tour special).. 

We have the HBO airing files on janetmedia and youtube.
Are you sure the 'stuck curtain' thing happened in Hawaii?

Yes as far as I've heard since the HBO AFY Tour original airing, is that the mess-up did in fact happen.. but I don't believe that the AFY tour was broadcast live on HBO in real time.. I remember TVR Tour being broadcast live on HBO in 1998.. on screen it would periodically say "live from NY" during TVR tour HBO show.. but the AFY Tour was pre-recorded (by a day or two) and obviously they removed the failed beginning.. I'm just wondering if there was ever any actual footage of that.. I'm sure someone else on here can confirm that the screw up did actually happen ..

• Upvote 1

I just got this response from another fan on a diff forum about this topic that I figured I'd share here:

The show was pre-recorded because of the time difference. 8pm in Hawaii in February = 2am on the east coast. Janet also was able to go over the different shots with the director afterwards. They both came up with the edit that aired on HBO. Then it was re-edited for DVD release. 

The first time through, the curtain was pulled down and some of the rings did not open to release the curtain. Think of it as a shower curtain being sucked down by a huge vacuum in the trap door of the stage. Technical/Theatrical term is Kabuki Drop. 

It was crazy. Janet started the show but quickly decided to stop and made the "cut" gesture across her neck and walked off the stage. 
They didn't have time to set it all up again so they decided to pull it up for the 2nd time through. 

In some ways, I think that's why she is opting for a simpler opening/reveal for the start of the show. Less possibility for things to go wrong. 

Remember the issues with the J's during RWU tour? Or the book stalling halfway open during TVR tour? You never knew when it would mess up.

The sound mixing of this special was so disappointing.  You could barely hear her vocals the entire show.  Velvet Rope special was GREAT.  

yes it was bad. I hated the grainy video that they edited to tour with. It should've looked more live like "The Velvet Rope" tour

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Something went wrong with her vocals as a bubble drifted pass her voice during Again..'Dont ever let me go'..but she quickly recovered and put a few extra runs at the end. They kept that in the show tho...:unsure:...'oooo didn't quite hit that note...that wasn't such a good time'

• Upvote 1