? Gil confirms NEW Janet tracks! ?

Dal

"Salvage the era"?  Are you talking about the tour, or the album?  Unbreakable went to Number 1 and gave Janet her 40 Hot 100 hit and longest running Number 1 on any genre chart with No Sleep.  Sure it wasn't a million-seller but let's not get confused and say the album wasn't successful.  

But let's be clear about chart expectations going forward.  Now that all of the charts rely so heavily on streaming, it's going to be tough for artists like Janet to have the chart success that you see from folks like Ariana Grande or Harry Styles.  Janet's fans don't spend every waking moment on social media trying to boost her YouTube and Spotify plays.  On today's Billboard charts, that's how you get to "Number 1" absent a monumental sales week.  

And even when limited to Streaming, there's a lot of inequality built into the Billboard Charts.  Remember how the Dammn Baby video took over Facebook, yet it missed the Hot 100 entirely?  It's because it's YouTube views were low, and Billboard doesn't count Facebook video views into it's streaming data.  The only plays that matter to them are Spotify, YouTube, Apple Music and a few other services.  They don't count Tidal either.  

Unbreakable is my favorite Janet album, and I personally would love to see a re-release.  But don't expect it to garner some huge chart position.  From that front, Janet would be better off doing an album or an EP, then combine with a new video and some lead-up promotion.  

I couldn't care less about her marketing campaign or exposure at radio. We live in a different world now than 2001.  Just give me quality music written and performed from the heart, like Unbreakable.  This album fed my soul. That's all the matters to me.  

Edited by JJATL
  • Upvote 7

She flopped.

if the only definition of success here is sales and charts then you're missing the point, Janet Jackson is largely who she is today because she has sold and charted extremely well, now in today's climate if an artist sales 500k thats considered a hit. If the goal in Janet's mind was to release new music to her fans and have them enjoy it, "Unbreakable" wasn't a flop by any means, she got the best reviews she has ever received across the board and her fans embraced the new music thanking her for giving it, to me achieving the goal you set out to do is a success.

• Upvote 4

I couldn't care less about her marketing campaign or exposure at radio. We live in a different wold now than 2001.  Just give me quality music written and performed from the heart, like Unbreakable.  This album fed by soul. That's all the matters to me.  

A- to the muthafuckin- MEN THANKYOU!!! That's my language, that's exactly where I am, this is the album that I wanted in every damn way, and all I wanted was THAT album that album that shows me lyrically and vocally she's still growing. A album worth being her last album if it even had to be and no album (since DJ in my opinion) has been remotely deserving of that possible title until Unbreakable.

• Upvote 1

Can we do better than argue let's stop for a moment to reflect on the fact Janet in less than two years is giving us more music I think she made it pretty clear when she missed the Grammy deadline it was all about the fans

If she doesn't promote her music and stop letting her legacy fade cause trust me it definitely has been fading and not cause of the superbowl. It's part of her own doing continuously playing hide and seek. I love this woman and I don't like seeing her just let her legacy fade like she's been doing since she got with wissam. You can attend Paris fashion shows but not promote your album? I wanna her to shine this time. It was so embarrassing me talking to people about how I went to her show and people were like "Oh I didn't know she had new music out" or "Oh I didn't know she was touring." SMH

• Upvote 1

if the only definition of success here is sales and charts then you're missing the point, Janet Jackson is largely who she is today because she has sold and charted extremely well, now in today's climate if an artist sales 500k thats considered a hit. If the goal in Janet's mind was to release new music to her fans and have them enjoy it, "Unbreakable" wasn't a flop by any means, she got the best reviews she has ever received across the board and her fans embraced the new music thanking her for giving it, to me achieving the goal you set out to do is a success.

good reviews doesn't stop anything from flopping. In my opinion she didn't flop in the U.S. but she definitely flopped outside of that. I like this album much better than TVR. I just hope her fans embrace her again because she's lost a lot of fans due to her cancelling on people who were ready to embrace her again after being gone for so long. Especially the overseas fans. IDGAF about the US fans but the fans overseas I would hope embrace her again even after what she did.

good reviews doesn't stop anything from flopping. In my opinion she didn't flop in the U.S. but she definitely flopped outside of that. I like this album much better than TVR. I just hope her fans embrace her again because she's lost a lot of fans due to her cancelling on people who were ready to embrace her again after being gone for so long. Especially the overseas fans. IDGAF about the US fans but the fans overseas I would hope embrace her again even after what she did.

She didn't cancel Joe.

And she postponed to bear life. Fuck people who can't respect that

• Upvote 2

A- to the muthafuckin- MEN THANKYOU!!! That's my language, that's exactly where I am, this is the album that I wanted in every damn way, and all I wanted was THAT album that album that shows me lyrically and vocally she's still growing. A album worth being her last album if it even had to be and no album (since DJ in my opinion) has been remotely deserving of that possible title until Unbreakable.

"Is that the end... NO!" 

There's no such thing as a "Janet Jackson last album".. you're fake news! 

Commercially it flopped. What aren't you understanding? 

It's the same negative bullshit with some these Great Depressed. They want to Make Janet Great Again but has ZERO experience in the industry and all of a sudden they buy a dell and AOL subscription and all of a sudden their music/touring industry experts! With a minor in Marketing

Just sad

• Upvote 2

A flop is when something overhyped fails to deliver in the sales AND [sometimes] quality department. 

Unbreakable didn't fail in the sales department when it met its goals... Unbreakable didn't fail in the quality department bc it is critically acclaimed

Example of Flops: 

- Microsoft Zune

- Microsoft Smartphones

- Katy Perry's last single

- Lady Gaga's previous mistake

- Madonna's Rebel Old Fart

Edited by KellyGame

She didn't cancel Joe.

And she postponed to bear life. Fuck people who can't respect that

well postpone. People can respect it and still be upset and people should respect that fans have the right to be upset just like Janet had the right to "postpone". You can't just be like "Oh well fuck them". All fans shouldn't be expected to react the same way. We can't pretend Janet has 0 part of her now well known reputation for cancelling and postponing tours. I understand the baby thing but she should've toured for Damita Jo and 20 Y.O.. If Madonnasaur old ass can pull off complete tours then Janet definitely can being she's younger and better at performing.

Edited by JoeJoe

It's the same negative bullshit with some these Great Depressed. They want to Make Janet Great Again but has ZERO experience in the industry and all of a sudden they buy a dell and AOL subscription and all of a sudden their music/touring industry experts! With a minor in Marketing

Just sad

Commercially it flopped. What aren't you understanding? 

I never really believed we had members that were the so-called great depressed, but man you can't give a woman a break at all nothing positive coming from you, we know whats what ...what's important now is to move on and not rehash the same ole same ole......you sound depressed shit :sigh:

• Upvote 1

Lmao

The album is two years old though, no point stretching it out to a possible 4 year era lol

The album is all over the net, they are going to be looking at making money as well as feeding the fans, repackaging an old album isn't a good idea tbh.

It went number 1 with decent first week sales on zero promo, she manged to tour off word of mouth and minmal and it could've have easily went Gold with some promo.

It wouldn't make sense to rename the tour but to re-release the same album with new songs tbh, seems lazy, and I think as fans the whole "unbreakable" era seems dry. And from a artists view guess they want a fresh start, the whole unbreakable era has been muddied with negativity and been messy (not her fault at all, her pregnancy comes before fan expectations,  it was a baby now or never imo)

I think they are going to release new a single, then tour with an album coming in before the 3rd leg.

• Upvote 1

well postpone. People can respect it and still be upset and people should respect that fans have the right to be upset just like Janet had the right to "postpone". You can't just be like "Oh well fuck them". All fans shouldn't be expected to react the same way. We can't pretend Janet has 0 part of her now well known reputation for cancelling and postponing tours. I understand the baby thing but she should've toured for Damita Jo and 20 Y.O.. If Madonnasaur old ass can pull off complete tours then Janet definitely can being she's younger and better at performing.

No. you don't unless you're sexist.

She postponed to start a family. You know the reason... the fact that you're bitter about it tells us what kind of person you truly are 

Thats like being mad at MJ for killing himself. 

She couldn't tour for Damita Jo or 20 bc she was blacklisted. And that has NOTHING to do with anything. You can't change that. Move on

Edited by KellyGame
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah I saw that tweet already also ..  it's possible  that he might not have said it but Gil also knows how IG live works, the streams are permanently gone once it ends.. he may be denying it on twitter knowing good and well that it can't be proven one way or the other that he mentioned new music.. the way I heard about it is the fact that in the "Friends of Janet" Facebook group, there is a guy names Algie Thomas who posted about it and then like 5 other fans are agreeing with him and discussing it also, even saying that Gil stated he wa excited to go back to Brooklyn to perform.. my ass was asleep when the live stream happened but I awoke to the notification that he did in fact go live around 4am or so.. that was merely passing along the info I read as a messenger..

Yeah I saw that tweet already also ..  it's possible  that he might not have said it but Gil also knows how IG live works, the streams are permanently gone once it ends.. he may be denying it on twitter knowing good and well that it can't be proven one way or the other that he mentioned new music.. the way I heard about it is the fact that in the "Friends of Janet" Facebook group, there is a guy names Algie Thomas who posted about it and then like 5 other fans are agreeing with him and discussing it also, even saying that Gil stated he wa excited to go back to Brooklyn to perform.. my ass was asleep when the live stream happened but I awoke to the notification that he did in fact go live around 4am or so.. that was merely passing along the info I read as a messenger..

we understand that bruh, but we're still going to kill the messenger :P

• Upvote 1