? Gil confirms NEW Janet tracks! ?

Dal

"Salvage the era"?  Are you talking about the tour, or the album?  Unbreakable went to Number 1 and gave Janet her 40 Hot 100 hit and longest running Number 1 on any genre chart with No Sleep.  Sure it wasn't a million-seller but let's not get confused and say the album wasn't successful.  

But let's be clear about chart expectations going forward.  Now that all of the charts rely so heavily on streaming, it's going to be tough for artists like Janet to have the chart success that you see from folks like Ariana Grande or Harry Styles.  Janet's fans don't spend every waking moment on social media trying to boost her YouTube and Spotify plays.  On today's Billboard charts, that's how you get to "Number 1" absent a monumental sales week.  

And even when limited to Streaming, there's a lot of inequality built into the Billboard Charts.  Remember how the Dammn Baby video took over Facebook, yet it missed the Hot 100 entirely?  It's because it's YouTube views were low, and Billboard doesn't count Facebook video views into it's streaming data.  The only plays that matter to them are Spotify, YouTube, Apple Music and a few other services.  They don't count Tidal either.  

Unbreakable is my favorite Janet album, and I personally would love to see a re-release.  But don't expect it to garner some huge chart position.  From that front, Janet would be better off doing an album or an EP, then combine with a new video and some lead-up promotion.  

The album debuted at #1, but has only sold a little over 230k in the US and bombed completely outside of the US. And the only reason the album sold that much was because of the ticket bundling. Let's not act like that album was successful. It wasn't. Yes, it gave Janet her 7th #1 album, and gave her 4 decades of #1 albums. That's a great achievement and a testament to her longevity. But commercially speaking, it was not a success by any means. Both the album and tour needs to be salvaged because both flopped. And let's also not act like "No Sleep" was this big hit. It did well on ONE chart, which was a small, niche chart. It wasn't a mainstream R&B or Pop hit. 

there was no promotion around Unbreakable not a single interview done, and yet it made it to number 1, every album Janet has put out over the last 2 decades has been a top 3 debut so there's no reason to believe a new album with 8 or so tracks couldn't chart well. Besides from Unbreakable the songs that did get released didn't do much on the hot 100, the only good thing that did succeed was "No Sleep" which did well in the AC format. And lets not forget even then during Unbreakable some people didn't know she had a new album out, there are enough fans to buy a new album she will hit number 1 again and that's good PR too

You're right, there was no promotion, not a single interview. And that's why it debuted at #1 and was a free fall afterwards. You all need to stop using a #1 album as the end all, be all. There are albums today that sell 50k and debut at #1, does that make it successful? I'd rather have an album debut at #20 and actually get a certification, than an album that debuts at #1 and not even sell 300k. And you're saying there was people that didn't even know she had an album out, what would be different this time? At least last time there was some buzz as it was her first album in seven years. Now there is literally no buzz for a new Janet Jackson album. Majority of people are more interested in her giving birth at 50 and her divorce. No one's talking about wanting new music outside of her fan base. Which is why if she wants to release new music, have it be on a re-release for an album that deserved more attention.

• Upvote 3

^^ Unbreakable the album, that ship has sailed, okay, and more to my point is promo or not these days the only people buying Janet Jackson CDs are her loyal fans, and there are enough of us to pull a number 1 debut. The number one album matters as bragging rights, theres a reason Ludacris dropped the price of his CD against 20 YO so he could get that number one debut. If Janet succeeds in attaining another number 1 debut album, at 8 number ones she would tie with Madonna as the second most number one albums by a female artist, those bragging rights help promote the idea that she does in fact belong in the R&R HOF same as when Unbreakable debuted at number 1 Janet was widely touted as one of only three artists to have number one albums spanning 4 decades. 

we shouldn't even think certifications, that's not happening with many artists now, Janet's best days of hits are pass her, what's better is an album that satisfies her fan base.  Plus as fans of Janet we get more new music within two years of the last, that's the fastest turn around Janet has made in years!

They probably have a few left overs from Unbreakable they could polish and use, as well as making a few new tracks.

The themes of Unbreakable are still  very relevant  imo and judging by the name of this supposed tour, they think so too.

If they use leftovers it will show, trust me we as fans will know this is some b-side stuff okay :coffee:

"Salvage the era"?  Are you talking about the tour, or the album?  Unbreakable went to Number 1 and gave Janet her 40 Hot 100 hit and longest running Number 1 on any genre chart with No Sleep.  Sure it wasn't a million-seller but let's not get confused and say the album wasn't successful.  

But let's be clear about chart expectations going forward.  Now that all of the charts rely so heavily on streaming, it's going to be tough for artists like Janet to have the chart success that you see from folks like Ariana Grande or Harry Styles.  Janet's fans don't spend every waking moment on social media trying to boost her YouTube and Spotify plays.  On today's Billboard charts, that's how you get to "Number 1" absent a monumental sales week.  

And even when limited to Streaming, there's a lot of inequality built into the Billboard Charts.  Remember how the Dammn Baby video took over Facebook, yet it missed the Hot 100 entirely?  It's because it's YouTube views were low, and Billboard doesn't count Facebook video views into it's streaming data.  The only plays that matter to them are Spotify, YouTube, Apple Music and a few other services.  They don't count Tidal either.  

Unbreakable is my favorite Janet album, and I personally would love to see a re-release.  But don't expect it to garner some huge chart position.  From that front, Janet would be better off doing an album or an EP, then combine with a new video and some lead-up promotion.  

The album was very successful with all things considered... ZERO HITS, ZERO PROMO.. #1 in the only country that matters musically

it sold more than Janet and BMG expected. 

Compared to her peers (Usher, Mariah, Madonna, Whitney, Paula) and for someone her age... it did well. 

Comparing her streams and spins to the youth is redic especially since they're nonfactors

Edited by KellyGame
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Oh.. we're still pretending album sales matter :coffee: 

RIGHT? Especially for a Legend. :lmao: 

Janets beyond worrying abouy sales, as she should be period, musicians post 40 and using every trick and stunt to boost sales like they on the same page as the basic bitches they inspire look thirsty and desperate.

Thats also why Im more on board for a new project all together, a re-release after 2 years looks and feels like a catch up at this point. And whilst we all agree its needed in terms of the tour, the album is solid as fuck. And for a black female singer of more than 30 yrs in the biz who dealt with a major backlash from major promotion for 10yrs, a independent artist and purposely did little beyond the tour to promote, its a success, especially compared to her peers doing the complete opposite as if they flop it'll be the worst thing theyve ever endured.

I'll take artistic integrity anyday, thank you. Unbreakable was the album of "let the music speak for itself and answer your questions":coffee:

Edited by jarrylf
  • Upvote 2

Although if Gil is already listening to tracks whatever Janet has planned is fast in the works now. But I figure as hard as Jimmy had worked on the Unbreakable era they probably do have some left overs, that and some new stuff considering they knew Janet would be touring again. I remember when Unbreakable dropped Gil hadn't heard the album he was commenting right along with us on his twitter or whatever

The album was very successful with all things considered... ZERO HITS, ZERO PROMO.. #1 in the only country that matters musically

it sold more than Janet and BMG expected. 

Compared to her peers (Usher, Mariah, Madonna, Whitney, Paula) and for someone her age... it did well. 

Comparing her streams and spins to the youth is redic especially since they're nonfactors

230k is more than they expected? Yikes! Shows how much faith they had in her.:rolleyes:

Usher is not her peer, Paula hasn't released an album since 1995, Whitney is no longer here, even still her last album sold more than Janet's last 4 globally and Rebel Heart outsold Unbreakable three times over worldwide. I'll give you Mariah, but not by much, and she's had way more success than Janet has these last 15 years, so I'd toe that line.

And as far as streams, I can compare those to that of her contemporaries, and she's behind them all. So there's that.

• Upvote 2

RIGHT? Especially for a Legend. :lmao: 

Janets beyond worrying abouy sales, as she should be period, musicians post 40 and using every trick and stunt to boost sales like they on the same page as the basic bitches they inspire look thirsty and desperate.

Thats also why Im more on board for a new project all together, a re-release after 2 years looks and feels like a catch up at this point. And whilst we all agree its needed in terms of the tour, the album is solid as fuck. And for a black female singer of more than 30 yrs in the biz who dealt with a major backlash from major promotion for 10yrs, a independent artist and purposely did little beyond the tour to promote, its a success, especially compared to her peers doing the complete opposite as if they flop it'll be the worst thing theyve ever endured.

I'll take artistic integrity anyday, thank you :coffee:

You mean like bundling albums with t-shirts just to chart? This sounds familiar.:coffee:

It made a profit. That's what matters. 

So it wasn't about sales, but making money? I thought Janet Jackson didn't need that? That's what the recent informative JanetsLegacyMatters video said.:whistle:

Caring about sales vs. Making sales THE priority. If she didnt care at all it wouldve been a free download, if sells were the/a priority would take more than the ticket bundle to prove that.

I never said it was a main priority for her. Your fellow Janet fans are the ones who said sales didn't matter at all, even though Janet has clearly done things to contradict that. So you basically proved how foolish they sound. Thanks for agreeing with me!:D

• Upvote 1

You mean like bundling albums with t-shirts just to chart? This sounds familiar.:coffee:

Nope :lmao: that doesnt equate to being on TMZ for frenchint Drake and grossing him out or going on every show thatll have you to boost like itll help anyway. Selling merch with the album is common sense on every level and hardly a case for desperation for major numbers or hits 

No. they were very proud that she put them on the map as their first #1 album. BMG wasn't disappointed.. YOU were and your opinion doesn't matter ??‍♂️

They're on a map? Where on the map? I can't locate them. And you're probably right. They probably are proud of her. That's why I can't for them to give us that 2 year plan for Unbreakable they said they were gonna give us two years ago!:dance:

They're on a map? Where on the map? I can't locate them. And you're probably right. They probably are proud of her. That's why I can't for them to give us that 2 year plan for Unbreakable they said they were gonna give us two years ago!:dance:

Do you need a fucking history lesson or are you that stupid? 

Pretty sure Janet became Pregnant... hmm I guess that has nothing to do with anything, right? 

• Upvote 1

Nope :lmao: that doesnt equate to being on TMZ for frenchint Drake and grossing him out or going on every show thatll have you to boost like itll help anyway. Selling merch with the album is common sense on every level and hardly a case for desperation for major numbers or hits 

Sigh. Now we're bringing Madonna once again into the equation? This is why Janet fans never prosper and why Janet's career is where it is. Focusing on the wrong things and people. But now that you mention Madonna, maybe Janet should do the same. I mean, Madonna got a $170 million grossing tour out of it. Looks like a better deal than what the silent treatment got Janet. What was it? $15 million gross from 33 shows? Yeah, maybe Janet should be "desperate."

• Upvote 1

Do you need a fucking history lesson or are you that stupid? 

Pretty sure Janet became Pregnant... hmm I guess that has nothing to do with anything, right? 

And how convenient that was. That's probably when they ditched her.

FYI: Your insults and abrasive language won't make you appear intimidating or any less foolish than you always do. You just look hilariously unhinged. Something to keep in mind.

Sigh. Now we're bringing Madonna once again into the equation? This is why Janet fans never prosper and why Janet's career is where it is. Focusing on the wrong things and people. But now that you mention Madonna, maybe Janet should do the same. I mean, Madonna got a $170 million grossing tour out of it. Looks like a better deal than what the silent treatment got Janet. What was it? $15 million gross from 33 shows? Yeah, maybe Janet should be "desperate."

Oh GOD now comes the fairweather fan martyr routine of "Janet fans hate everybody, everybody elses fans love everybody". Spare me, I'm observant, and I'd rather Janet sell half of what Unbreakable did than become the laughing stock Madonna's made herself with what she's pulled in the last couple of years. Like I get it, integrity doesn't mean anything to you, money does, but integrity is more impressive at her age.

Well, I'm a fan and sales matter to me

Then that sounds like a issue you're going to have to fix, because black women doing 300K, #1 album, #1 single isn't a thing today like it was for a brief time in the 80's, and even then you need to get over it mattering so much given she's a independent artist so expecting "janet. 1993" album sales is a crazy ass reach, same as comparing her bundle sales with major over the top label promotion....:ph34r:

• Upvote 1