JANET SPOTTED @ BRUNO MARS CONCERT IN LONDON!

jarrylf

But we dint know much about her full range today to say that, in the last 15 years the only albums that have showcased her range are Unbreakable & Damita Jo (and even then it was mostly the unreleased material that had the best vocals). Truth is her voice hasn't changed much at all, and his voice is versatile too. I can hear both doing vocals on most of the tracks off of each other's last albums easily.

She could keep up with Luther, Michael, Blacstreet, & Elton.....she can keep up with Bruno.

Michael turned DOWN her vocals on scream because he didn't like that she sounded better than him. Janet can slay whomever she wants.

But we dint know much about her full range today to say that, in the last 15 years the only albums that have showcased her range are Unbreakable & Damita Jo (and even then it was mostly the unreleased material that had the best vocals). Truth is her voice hasn't changed much at all, and his voice is versatile too. I can hear both doing vocals on most of the tracks off of each other's last albums easily.

She could keep up with Luther, Michael, Blacstreet, & Elton.....she can keep up with Bruno.

why are you naming 20 year old examples? And how can she have released albums & songs recently but we can't know her vocal range? Her voice has undoubtedly changed. Not to mention Jimmy said that when she got back in the studio she was nervous about her vocals because even she felt she was a little rusty. It happens. 

You skipped 20 YO & Discipline to name DJ. DJ is the oldest of those projects. Unbreakable had some songs that felt very nostalgic vocally and sounded good. It's not about keep up for me it was how would they sound together. Now if you argued her IGL vocals live give a good example you have a more solid point. 

Michael turned DOWN her vocals on scream because he didn't like that she sounded better than him. Janet can slay whomever she wants.

And even through that she shines through, I LOVE the Acapella version best really

why are you naming 20 year old examples? And how can she have released albums & songs recently but we can't know her vocal range? Her voice has undoubtedly changed. Not to mention Jimmy said that when she got back in the studio she was nervous about her vocals because even she felt she was a little rusty. It happens. 

You skipped 20 YO & Discipline to name DJ. DJ is the oldest of those projects. Unbreakable had some songs that felt very nostalgic vocally and sounded good. It's not about keep up for me it was how would they sound together. Now if you argued her IGL vocals live give a good example you have a more solid point. 

Because her voice hasn't drastically changed in 20 years at all. And because she doesn't use her full range let alone even her full voice on every recording or every performance. THAT's how. 20 YO & Discipline her voice mostly stayed in same style, which is why they were omitted from examples of albums when she used more vocal changes like Damita Jo & Unbreakable. Hell the song Unbreakable shows more range in her vocals than any recording she did on both Discipline & 20 Y.O. The solid point period is her voice & range has not drastically changed at all, only slights. The album and tour proved that. :coffee: 

And even through that she shines through, I LOVE the Acapella version best really

Because her voice hasn't drastically changed in 20 years at all. And because she doesn't use her full range let alone even her full voice on every recording or every performance. THAT's how. 20 YO & Discipline her voice mostly stayed in same style, which is why they were omitted from examples of albums when she used more vocal changes like Damita Jo & Unbreakable. Hell the song Unbreakable shows more range in her vocals than any recording she did on both Discipline & 20 Y.O. The solid point period is her voice & range has not drastically changed at all, only slights. The album and tour proved that. :coffee: 

Well she disagrees with you. She specifically said her voice has deepened. Jimmy mentioned her nervousness because she recognized she had changed. So we can agree to disagree. Unbreakable she sounded good the best she's sound in years but nonetheless it's a different between now and years ago. 

Well she disagrees with you. She specifically said her voice has deepened. Jimmy mentioned her nervousness because she recognized she had changed. So we can agree to disagree. Unbreakable she sounded good the best she's sound in years but nonetheless it's a different between now and years ago. 

Who said it didn't, voice deepening a little doesn't equate to a drastic difference, drastic vocal difference would be if her voice was stuck in the whisper vocals she used for most of 20 Y.O. or Discipline, so no, I'm probably more on the same page with her on that than you seem to be, because the difference isn't ridiculously obvious which would be the only reason to raise concern on the subject.

• Upvote 1

Who said it didn't, voice deepening a little doesn't equate to a drastic difference, drastic vocal difference would be if her voice was stuck in the whisper vocals she used for most of 20 Y.O. or Discipline, so no, I'm probably more on the same page with her on that than you seem to be, because the difference isn't ridiculously obvious which would be the only reason to raise concern on the subject.

we don't see it the same and no one said drastic but it's noticeably different and that's about the point. It's not 20 years ago. 

we don't see it the same and no one said drastic but it's noticeably different and that's about the point. It's not 20 years ago. 

The point is it'd only be a issue if there was a drastic difference, ala DIana Ross's voice in her 20's vs. her 40's. 
And truthfully as a major fan of both her & Bruno as far as their vocals, hers more than likely would be a better match for his at this state than in her early 20s.

• Upvote 1

Her voice has deepened.. it's less "little girl" and innocent and more Powerful woman and sex appeal 

I agree and in certain songs you can definitely tell she sounds...a little old. "2 B Loved" she still has that kinda girly voice but in "Take Me Away" as she's singing the verses her voice definitely sounds aged until she sings "take me awaaaaaaaay froooooooom heeeeeeeere". "Burn It Up" aged. "Should've Known Better" still sounds like velvet rope vocals which were great! "Unbreakable" aged a little until she hits her higher register and gives stronger vocals I love it! It all depends on which register she's singing in.

• Upvote 1

I agree and in certain songs you can definitely tell she sounds...a little old. "2 B Loved" she still has that kinda girly voice but in "Take Me Away" as she's singing the verses her voice definitely sounds aged until she sings "take me awaaaaaaaay froooooooom heeeeeeeere". "Burn It Up" aged. "Should've Known Better" still sounds like velvet rope vocals which were great! "Unbreakable" aged a little until she hits her higher register and gives stronger vocals I love it! It all depends on which register she's singing in.

That is not what I'm saying. You're saying the opposite of what I implied. 

Her voice has mature but it has NOT diminished or "aged" whatever that means... 

• Upvote 2

Yes. You are more on point with what I'm saying. Every one is so damn sensitive. Personally I don't like the verses of Take Me Away, but the chorus is good. Her higher register sounds great & at times nostalgic. But Janet singing Lonely, Twenty Four Play, even Anything is not Janet singing Lessons Learned, After You Fall etc. it's just not the same. 

Her voice has aged & I don't think it sounds powerful and grown woman it's just a maturity. It's deeper that's fine & natural not condescending. Now her background vocals on Unbreakable sounds very nostalgic. Also Janet & Bruno on a song like Alright/LWNDWY would have been great. Her vocals then could have worked. 

• Upvote 1

Then say "matured" bc that's what it has done. "Age" has a negative connotation-ring to it.

Janet's matured vocals are just as great, if not greater than her old vocals but I'm not the  nostalgic type. I enjoy her modern vocals more than I do the original content of yesterdecades

Excluding Weekend of course 

Edited by KellyGame

Then say "matured" bc that's what it has done. "Age" has a negative connotation-ring to it.

Janet's matured vocals are just as great, if not greater than her old vocals but I'm not the  nostalgic type. I enjoy her modern vocals more than I do the original content of yesterdecades

Excluding Weekend of course 

You weren't a fan during those times so of course you would. And no they've aged. Connotation does not trump denotation. Get the hell off the sensitive shit and grow up. 

Yes. You are more on point with what I'm saying. Every one is so damn sensitive. Personally I don't like the verses of Take Me Away, but the chorus is good. Her higher register sounds great & at times nostalgic. But Janet singing Lonely, Twenty Four Play, even Anything is not Janet singing Lessons Learned, After You Fall etc. it's just not the same. 

Her voice has aged & I don't think it sounds powerful and grown woman it's just a maturity. It's deeper that's fine & natural not condescending. Now her background vocals on Unbreakable sounds very nostalgic. Also Janet & Bruno on a song like Alright/LWNDWY would have been great. Her vocals then could have worked. 

I know. I know what you're saying about the verses of "Take Me Away". It's the same I don't really care for cause honestly if you're not being in denial like the others you can tell Janet does sound old when doing the verses. Like I said it all depends on what register she's singing it. It happens to all singers so to pretend it's not happening to Janet is absurd. That doesn't change our love for her. That being said "Take Me Away", "Night", "Should've Known Better", "2 B Loved", "Unbreakable", "Love U 4 Life", "Dream Maker/Euphoria", and "Well Traveled" are my favorite songs on the album.

Her vocals aged? What does that even mean? She sounds old? She sounds older? 

i'm sure you know what "aged" means. We could say "old" or "older" which is still the same as aged. Matured is the same thing as aged. Being a fan of Janet since "Good times" I think it's easier for me to tell. Go back and listen to at least 2 songs like "I Get Lonely" and "Feels So Right" and then listen to "With U" from 20 Y.O. and "What's Ur Name?" I noticed her voice changing during the 20 Y.O. era.

You weren't a fan during those times so of course you would. And no they've aged. Connotation does not trump denotation. Get the hell off the sensitive shit and grow up. 

What the fuck does that have to do with anything? :blink: I can play a song or performance from yesteryear and a song or performance from Unbreakable and prefer the vocals on the newer album. Janet's vocals have matured and not in a Mariah Carey way... it's deeper and better. Period

They don't trump each other... they're equal in respect of each other but it's about context... Stating her vocals sound "old" implies something different than saying "her vocals sound mature". 

There's a difference. 

"You look old"

"You look mature"

"You're old"

"You're mature"

"You sound old"

"You sound mature"

Edited by KellyGame

i'm sure you know what "aged" means. We could say "old" or "older" which is still the same as aged. Matured is the same thing as aged. Being a fan of Janet since "Good times" I think it's easier for me to tell. Go back and listen to at least 2 songs like "I Get Lonely" and "Feels So Right" and then listen to "With U" from 20 Y.O. and "What's Ur Name?" I noticed her voice changing during the 20 Y.O. era.

I know what "aged" means.. do you? 

Aged - having or existing for a long time; old

Mature - fully developed

In conclusion...

Aged = old

Aged =/= Matured 

What? You want me to go listen to two slow songs than listen to the overproduced With U and a mid-tempo with different vocals, both containing different vocals? Joe.. ?

What the fuck does that have to do with anything? :blink: I can play a song or performance from yesteryear and a song or performance from Unbreakable and prefer the vocals on the newer album. Janet's vocals have matured and not in a Mariah Carey way... it's deeper and better. Period

They don't trump each other... they're equal in respect of each other but it's about context... Stating her vocals sound "old" implies something different than saying "her vocals sound mature". 

There's a difference. 

"You look old"

"You look mature"

"You're old"

"You're mature"

"You sound old"

"You sound mature"

fuck outta here game lmao you're such a joke. 

I know. I know what you're saying about the verses of "Take Me Away". It's the same I don't really care for cause honestly if you're not being in denial like the others you can tell Janet does sound old when doing the verses. Like I said it all depends on what register she's singing it. It happens to all singers so to pretend it's not happening to Janet is absurd. That doesn't change our love for her. That being said "Take Me Away", "Night", "Should've Known Better", "2 B Loved", "Unbreakable", "Love U 4 Life", "Dream Maker/Euphoria", and "Well Traveled" are my favorite songs on the album.

I think Unbreakable is one of her best vocal albums of recent times, but in all fairness it's produced by her classic team. I think also mastered by the person who used to do it. 

Dream Maker, Night, BHH, Unbreakable, Black Eagle, Love U 4 Life, Lessons Learned, Dammn Baby, 2 B Loved, No sleep, even Promise of You all my shit. 

I like when she sings out. I always have...but when she gets choppy like on the verses of Take Me Away or TGF & it becomes inaudible at times I'm not crazy about that. 

• Upvote 2

I was skeptical about their collab, not because I thought Bruno was undeserving or even because I thought it was a bad idea just because I couldn't think of how the song would sound. I know Bruno has done the sound but I'm also considering his voice & Janet's vocals as a merger...what key would she be in how would it complement...that type of thing. 

I saw someone say Gon B Alright, but her vocals were heavily altered & produced, and that's more of an album cut a fan track. But then I listened to Dammn Baby and it kinda clicked for me. I can hear Bruno as a feature on Dammn Baby, even though those vocals were kinda highly produced too. That track can work. I can see hear it. So I'm very interested to see where it would go, maybe even something like Dream Maker. I love Bruno. He's really dope. 

R&B Junkie

Who

Get It Out Me

Do It 2 Me

Edited by EphraimAdamz

• 3 weeks later...

If they do work togther (and I REALLY hope they do)

I can see it being produced, championed or at least worked on by Jimmy & Terry since they're big fans as well

Their voices really would compliment each other

I hope it's something throwback or R&B like "Versace On the Floor", "Treasure" or "Finese", Bruno has huge radio power right now, he could really bring a fresh pair of eyes or ears from the newer generation looking and listening Janet's way.

Edited by StateOfTheWorld
  • Upvote 4