OFFICIAL STATE OF THE WORLD TOUR THREAD

jarrylf

The Concord, CA show I got tickets to is taking place in an outdoor amphitheater...I've never seen Janet in an amphitheater before, hopefully the venue is large enough to be compatible with whatever stage set/equipment the show needs!

The Concord, CA show I got tickets to is taking place in an outdoor amphitheater...I've never seen Janet in an amphitheater before, hopefully the venue is large enough to be compatible with whatever stage set/equipment the show needs!

Amphiteaters can be big. I saw her at TVR show in Dallas, TX when I used to live in TX. It was 1 of 2 shows at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion which can seat over 16,000. 

• Upvote 1

I saw her outside in an amphitheater & it wasn't that big. She didn't get to use all her staging but the show was epic. Since I saw the Jones Beach performance from the Janet. Tour I always wanted to see her outside. Even though it drizzled she killed it, but she said it made the show a little difficult. BUT the other venue might be very big that you're going to. 

its a real nice venue and a nice drive up.  Id say its a bit smaller than shoreline.  Where are your seats? I got sec 107 row n

its a real nice venue and a nice drive up.  Id say its a bit smaller than shoreline.  Where are your seats? I got sec 107 row n

ur closer than I'll be.. we got 5 seats near the front of section 205, not that close to the stage but we're dead center so should still be fun! I'm still obviously looking forward to the show tho!

• Upvote 1

I think she will do well in the big cities.  The tickets being sold out doesn't always mean that it is sold out.  A lot of the sales go to scalpers and brokers who post those tickets on third party sites.  I do think attendance will be rough in the beginning in places like Texas, Arizona, Oklahoma and Oregon.  That's not where her base is anymore.   I think those shows may see cancellations or postponements as well as the Colorado and Wisconsin venues.  There is just no base there.  It will take some hardcore promo to sell there.  I'm hoping they have some type of strategy this time around.  

Her birthday is coming up.  I know she is busy so I hope that this time around her team acknowledges when her peers tweet her or wish her well and retweet those or tweet back.  Every little bit helps.  

As a TEXAS fan, I certainly hope not!!  Also I think you've got some conflicting assertions. The Texas shows are all in big cities... Houston (7 million metro) D/FW (7 million metro) Austin (2 million) and San Antonio (3 million). IMO the true mistake would be to skip over such large parts of the country. 

The path to assure sales for Janet Jackson starts with Black Radio, the absolute core of her fan base. Even if she wants to keep her interviews limited, radio will be the cornerstone connection to make fans aware of the tour. A spot and some promos on something like Tom Joyner would be ideal. Thankfully, we know promotion is going better for SOTWT than UWT because the radio stations actually have some tickets to give away, and they'be been talking about it a lot more. 

I also think heavier promotion in the big cities is key to shore up smaller shows in proximity. You want Houston folks to know that not only is Janet coming to us, but that she'll have two other shoes in close proximity-- Lafayette and Austin. Super fans will buy multiple tickets, while other folks will just tell friends and family in those other areas. 

So I've decided to go to Lafayette and Fort Lauderdale only. It makes the most sense budget wise. :)

I'd like to make a trip out of the opening show and stay in New Orleans, haven't been since I was 3. 

I kept my tickets for Fort Lauderdale since they went on sale. I'm in row 6 and I'll be doing the VIP upgrade package.

I'm most likely getting an Air BNB and rental car. If anyone is going and wants to join me, let me know!

• Upvote 2

I think the show will be very similar in terms of the set list.  I think a few songs may be added or swithced around or even replaced if anything.  I'm expecting the difference in this tour would  be the overall look as in costumes and stage designs.  I think shes gonna have a different grand entrance.  One of my favs ever is when she did the MJ tribute for Scream and she came out the shattered glass doors. 

Edited by msboz
  • Upvote 6

I think the show will be very similar in terms of the set list.  I think a few songs may be added or swithced around or even replaced if anything.  I'm expecting the difference in this tour would  be the overall look as in costumes and stage designs.  I think shes gonna have a different grand entrance.  One of my favs ever is when she did the MJ tribute for Scream and she came out the shattered glass doors. 

That was definitely one of, if not, her bes intro. I agree I wholeheartedly think the tour will be pretty much the same with a couple songs changed in & out. She drops like 2 new songs to push the tour HOPEFULLY a visual with one & im betting one is with Bruno Mars. 

I just wish Janet was the kinda artist that REALLY utilized her discography because over the years & currently she could really have so many diff songs in rotation to keep fans guessing what she'll perform next. 

• Upvote 2

As a TEXAS fan, I certainly hope not!!  Also I think you've got some conflicting assertions. The Texas shows are all in big cities... Houston (7 million metro) D/FW (7 million metro) Austin (2 million) and San Antonio (3 million). IMO the true mistake would be to skip over such large parts of the country. 

The path to assure sales for Janet Jackson starts with Black Radio, the absolute core of her fan base. Even if she wants to keep her interviews limited, radio will be the cornerstone connection to make fans aware of the tour. A spot and some promos on something like Tom Joyner would be ideal. Thankfully, we know promotion is going better for SOTWT than UWT because the radio stations actually have some tickets to give away, and they'be been talking about it a lot more. 

I also think heavier promotion in the big cities is key to shore up smaller shows in proximity. You want Houston folks to know that not only is Janet coming to us, but that she'll have two other shoes in close proximity-- Lafayette and Austin. Super fans will buy multiple tickets, while other folks will just tell friends and family in those other areas. 

I forgot Tom was based on Texas.  Yeah hit every black radio market in every city she has s show in would be good. Except Steve Harvey who can't get out of his own way. 

• Upvote 1

Y'all think Janet is gonna cancel her overseas leg due to terror attacks, like the one at Ariana's concert?

why? She lives in London and was there when the Westminster attack happened. I'm sure security at all venues around the world will be reviewed and upgraded where necessary.

• Upvote 1

hypothetically speaking if she uses some of the old songs that fit the theme of the tour do you think she will keep them as they were or redo them slightly?

Uh, in my personal opinion - if she does perform State of the World, which due to the title of the tour seems likely, I think she should reinvent it. Personally, the song isn't bad & the lyrics are pretty relevant but it's kinda dated. I never anticipated her performing that song again, unless she does release something like 4-6 songs on an EP under the same name & she could even do a modernized/reprised SOTW track. Who knows...but I kinda doubt that's what's happening. 

Also, as AMAZING as it would be for Janet to add in songs like Can't Be Stopped, New Agenda, LIAWTDM, Dream Maker to make the theme of this tour very solid...I doubt she will do it. The thing is even though it's a rebirthing of Unbreakable tour - IF it is done right she could make this tour a MASSIVE visual & artistic experience like none of her other tours just based on the theme & timing alone. The name sends a message of concern & action...while she is already an icon - if she does this right it could really push her even higher up the chain. 

• Upvote 2

Ok so now that we've all digested the announcement n talked about setlists n all that shit, what's the next talking point that'll be happening? And when?

Either when there's new info or you create an engaging topic. I'd love to discuss a sound direction for new music. 

Uh, in my personal opinion - if she does perform State of the World, which due to the title of the tour seems likely, I think she should reinvent it. Personally, the song isn't bad & the lyrics are pretty relevant but it's kinda dated. I never anticipated her performing that song again, unless she does release something like 4-6 songs on an EP under the same name & she could even do a modernized/reprised SOTW track. Who knows...but I kinda doubt that's what's happening. 

Also, as AMAZING as it would be for Janet to add in songs like Can't Be Stopped, New Agenda, LIAWTDM, Dream Maker to make the theme of this tour very solid...I doubt she will do it. The thing is even though it's a rebirthing of Unbreakable tour - IF it is done right she could make this tour a MASSIVE visual & artistic experience like none of her other tours just based on the theme & timing alone. The name sends a message of concern & action...while she is already an icon - if she does this right it could really push her even higher up the chain. 

Based on her announcement, what you describe doesn't sound far fetched from what she may be planning.  

I went to Unbreakable New Orleans-- if I recall correctly, the last tour stop before the Unbreakable album was released.  With the exception of No Sleeep, Burn It Up! and Unbreakable, no one in the audience had ever heard the rest of the album at that point.  Of the new songs she did, Shoulda Known Better got a MASSIVE reaction from the crowd, as the projections were so powerful.  There's no way that Janet didn't see how quickly we all connected with it, despite the fact that none of us had even heard the song before. 

On this point I totally agree... even without new music, a tour that focuses on Janet's socially-conscious repertoire could be a game-changer for her, especially when it comes to reaching the younger generations.  On my blog I wrote an RN Anniversary post called Janet Jackson: The First Millennial-- not only was it retweeted by Jimmy Jam, but the post was one of the highest ever viewed on my site... definitely the highest of my music-related posts.  And let's not even forget that Janet has yet to perform songs like Black Eagle for a live audience yet.  

The potential for this tour is HUUUGE.  

• Upvote 1