OFFICIAL STATE OF THE WORLD TOUR THREAD

jarrylf

I get the arguments against Janet playing bigger venues, but she's in a precarious position when it comes to touring.  Janet is a global superstar... she's got fans in every market.  But figuring our how many fans will show to a concert is never an easy task, especially for an artist that has been out of the spotlight, or has a spotty record of consistently performing dates.  Is it possible to have a massive "sell-out" run by playing a bunch of theaters??  Sure, but that means a ton more shows per market and a more taxing time on the artist and performers, for smaller albeit enthusiastic crowds.  The other option?  Go for arenas and even if you can't sell out, power through the show and keep your commitments.  Then the next time, fans will know that the tour is happening, because they heard from their friends how EPIC you were the last time.  As long as you can make enough to cover your operating costs, this is the strategy that tends to be the best.  

What I love about SOTW is that it is about as lean and mean as an artist of Janet's caliber could get away with on a tour, yet it totally does the job.  She's not spending tons of money on elaborate sets, a bunch of costume changes or pyro/ effects.  Which means those savings can be applied to other areas. 

How much is Janet spending on operating expenses?? My rough estimate based on what some of the more expensive arena tours tend to cost... 

10k to secure the date for a venue,

20-40k to rent the venue on performance day 

20k to pay for the venue's staff. 

100k per performance = pay, living costs for the tour staff

30-50k some sort of cut to LiveNation, possibly paid beforehand to guarantee the tour.  

Total operating expenses = $200k

So if that rough estimate were true, that means that the venues where ticket sales were lower would still be net money makers for Janet, even if they didn't make a bunch.  It's quite possible that Janet cleared $100k or more profit from a show where the house was 50% full.    

At the same time, she gets a chance to test out her best performing markets JUST IN CASE there is a tour re-vamp around new music for 2018.   I suspect that if there is an international SOTW leg in early 2018, it might be followed up by a 20-30 date trek around North America which would see near full to sold out at every venue.  

• Upvote 7

Before she decides to record another album, I'd just like to see her overseas. Some arenas in Asia, Africa, and Oceania. Do some festivals in Europe and South America. 

She needs new music before she goes overseas. Considering how she’s doing in North America, I foresee her doing much worse internationally. There’s no buzz for her at the moment and she needs to create anticipation. At the very least, she needs to release a new single.

• Upvote 2

:lmao: Yes. It’s been six long years bish!!! Omg waaay too long 

fuuuh bruh I admit I’m looking forward to ur commentary after ur show more than most on here.. I mean I’ve seen her twice in the last two years alone, although I’d never seen her live before then, but with ur amount of dedication (and free time) to her and not seeing her in the flesh in so long, I think your thoughts on the show should be pretty entertaining.. have you basically memorized the whole show by now from videos or whatever?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

fuuuh bruh I admit I’m looking forward to ur commentary after ur show more than most on here.. I mean I’ve seen her twice in the last two years alone, although I’d never seen her live before then, but with ur amount of dedication (and free time) to her and not seeing her in the flesh in so long, I think your thoughts on the show should be pretty entertaining.. have you basically memorized the whole show by now from videos or whatever?

Don’t expect some huge post. I’m not a concert critic. You’ll get something from it though :lol: 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

She needs new music before she goes overseas. Considering how she’s doing in North America, I foresee her doing much worse internationally. There’s no buzz for her at the moment and she needs to create anticipation. At the very least, she needs to release a new single.

New music is always a good idea. But if for some reason there isn't, they'll have to be strategic with venues and routing. If there's no new music, I think festivals in Europe is the way to go. There are places like Australia where I believe she'll do well without new music. 

:lmao: Yes. It’s been six long years bish!!! Omg waaay too long 

That's too long! I thought maybe you went to UWT. 

New music is always a good idea. But if for some reason there isn't, they'll have to be strategic with venues and routing. If there's no new music, I think festivals in Europe is the way to go. There are places like Australia where I believe she'll do well without new music. 

She became pregnant prior the Cleveland date which was in early 2016

Edited by State of the Game

You and I both know she is not doing any festivals or promo for that matter. I agree that it’s a good idea as well, but we all know it won’t happen.

You and I both know she is not doing any festivals or promo for that matter. I agree that it’s a good idea as well, but we all know it won’t happen.

Who knows?? All I know is that Janet is amazing.  The fact that she's doing so much... both touring and taking care of Lil E is incredible to me.  

And hey... awards season is just getting started.  I'm sure some big things are coming up for Ms. Jackson and the JanFam.  

• Upvote 1

And I figure Cincinnati is too far from you. I'm glad you're finally getting to see her and the legendary edges.

It’s 4-6 hours away and I don’t really wanna go there and come back. It’s just too much travel. I’m satisfied with seeing her in Cleveland.

This is the first time since 2001 that she’s performing in CLE’s Cavs’s arena 

• Upvote 1