ICYMI: NEW MUSIC SOON!

The STATE OF THE WORLD tour is a continuation of the Unbreakable tour and will include fan favorites from her chart-topping ‘Unbreakable’ album, an array of her socially conscious music she’s released throughout her career, and other smash hits and

soon-to-be released new tracks

with a state of the art live production

So we know it's at least two songs... at bare minimum 

I'm really hoping for a mid-tempo (Take Me Away/Well-Traveled)

and/or 

A dance track: AN(ds)... MYM 

What sound would you like to hear? 

Edited by State of the Game

As for what themes the new tracks will cover, I think the clues are there.  State of the World tour, so Janet is likely still in an Unbreakable/ Rhythm Nation/ Social Conscience kind of space.  But she did also say it's not political.  

This is a huge reason why I'm such a fan of Janet, and the whole Jackson family.  For all the achievements, they are genuinely concerned with the legacy of their work, and music that makes a difference to people.  After the monumental success of Control, Janet, Jimmy and Terry could've just followed the formula, and cranked out another hit album... that would've been the "easy road" to super stardom.  For a then 22 year old Janet... wealthy virtually her entire life... to feel the pain and struggles of others so deeply that she would write an album like Rhythm Nation still amazes me today.  At the time when her fame and influence was nearing its maximum, she chose not to focus on herself, but to use her voice to make this world a better place.  It's no secret those messages are still incredibly relevant and resonant 30 years later.  

Other artists out there may technically have more hits (and the luxury of not having suffered a gruesome industry blackout), but from a qualitative measurement, their catalogs don't measure up to the Empress of Pop.  

Edited by wayneashleymusic
  • Upvote 7

Any new music is something to be excited about, especially if it's from the Unbreakable sessions.  Good stuff.    

My GUESS would be that "Take Me Away" would be included on the new tour set list because, let's be honest, with the current "state of the world," who the hell hasn't thought those very words to themselves?  Even without Janet's song in mind.  I know I have on the daily.   Also, from previous work, I could maybe see New Agenda being tossed in there for good measure.  

She could really do (and I honestly hope she does do) several other Unbreakable songs.  I know the casual fan won't want to hear a lot of the new stuff, but I just think it's important to have Should have Known Better (preferably directly after Rhythm Nation), Black Eagle and Gon' Be Alright (nice positive closer, perhaps).  

Any new music is something to be excited about, especially if it's from the Unbreakable sessions.  Good stuff.    

My GUESS would be that "Take Me Away" would be included on the new tour set list because, let's be honest, with the current "state of the world," who the hell hasn't thought those very words to themselves?  Even without Janet's song in mind.  I know I have on the daily.   Also, from previous work, I could maybe see New Agenda being tossed in there for good measure.  

She could really do (and I honestly hope she does do) several other Unbreakable songs.  I know the casual fan won't want to hear a lot of the new stuff, but I just think it's important to have Should have Known Better (preferably directly after Rhythm Nation), Black Eagle and Gon' Be Alright (nice positive closer, perhaps).  

But Take Me Away is about Wissam & them being in love & him "taking her away" from all the other bs. 

so then by that logic, should we expect her to not perform No Sleeep as well?

One is a single the other is a lesser known track off the album...so I would think it would feel more like a dedication. It's the reason we have never heard her perform 24Play. We beg for it but in an interview she said indirectly it makes her think of Rene. 

Kinda like how we never hear Go Deep. 

• Upvote 1

I know we're not talking much about this but I had to post it because I went back & read the interview and wish she would feel comfortable giving this song live:

“TWENTY FOREPLAY”?

"IT’S KIND OF A SWEET AND SOUR THOUGHT FOR ME, WHEN I THINK ABOUT WHAT THAT SONG REALLY IS ABOUT, WHICH I REALLY CAN’T TALK ABOUT BECAUSE I’M REALLY NOT SUPPOSED TO TALK ABOUT THAT PERSON. THERE’S HOPE IN “TWENTY FOREPLAY,” AND THEN I ALSO HEAR THE SADNESS IN IT AND REMEMBER THE SADNESS. BUT I LOVE THAT SONG."

• Upvote 2

Should we expect her to not perform No Sleeep as well?

But Take Me Away is about Wissam & them being in love & him "taking her away" from all the other bs. 

That's not fair to say. I guess she can't perform any song from Damita Jo - Discipline (not a bad thing) or anything from 1989-1997.

Not that this thread is about the tour... it's about the sound of these new records

I know we're not talking much about this but I had to post it because I went back & read the interview and wish she would feel comfortable giving this song live:

“TWENTY FOREPLAY”?

"IT’S KIND OF A SWEET AND SOUR THOUGHT FOR ME, WHEN I THINK ABOUT WHAT THAT SONG REALLY IS ABOUT, WHICH I REALLY CAN’T TALK ABOUT BECAUSE I’M REALLY NOT SUPPOSED TO TALK ABOUT THAT PERSON. THERE’S HOPE IN “TWENTY FOREPLAY,” AND THEN I ALSO HEAR THE SADNESS IN IT AND REMEMBER THE SADNESS. BUT I LOVE THAT SONG."

What interview is this from?

I was also thinking it's unlikely she would sing No Sleep (and Take Me Away while we're at it) partly because it "served it's purpose" last time round and the fact that's it's based around Wissam. Not whilst theyre currently going through a separation ...

• Upvote 1

By that logic, Shania Twain would never sing You're Still the One or From This Moment On since they were written with her husband who left her for her best friend.  Lives change, but human emotions transfer to new people sometimes.  Take Me Away, at least parts of it, can certainly have multiple meanings as well.  

• Upvote 2

By that logic, Shania Twain would never sing You're Still the One or From This Moment On since they were written with her husband who left her for her best friend.  Lives change, but human emotions transfer to new people sometimes.  Take Me Away, at least parts of it, can certainly have multiple meanings as well.  

Shania Twain is not Janet Jackson. We're talking about consistent behaviors and answers Janet has given about music that seemed to be about her exs. She's never performed Go Deep since VR, she didn't perform Twenty Fourplay, she's avoided Someone to Call My Lover. 

It would be nice if she changed this method but it's been pretty consistent to JANET's personality. This has nothing to do with artists in general. 

• Upvote 1

Shania Twain is not Janet Jackson. We're talking about consistent behaviors and answers Janet has given about music that seemed to be about her exs. She's never performed Go Deep since VR, she didn't perform Twenty Fourplay, she's avoided Someone to Call My Lover. 

It would be nice if she changed this method but it's been pretty consistent to JANET's personality. This has nothing to do with artists in general. 

STCML was a hit song, her last top 5 hit actually, I think the issue comes in with what album did certain songs come off of, and she performs those that are classic and others more current, so great songs get left out, we should do a poll of songs to see which ones people really want to hear live

• Upvote 2