Which Song And Album of Janet's Has the Most Cultural Significance

In a brief look at the Library of Congress' National Recording Registry, I was shocked to learn that none of Janet Jackson's works have been inducted.  Each year, the Librarian of Congress and their staff select 25 recordings to be inducted based on the cultural significance and impact which the audio recording made.  

Interestingly enough, the list doesn't have a lot of pop music, but Michael Jackson's Thriller was inducted in 2007.  

Any American citizen can nominate recordings they feel are of cultural significance.  So I ask... what recordings by Ms. Janet are her most impactful?  Both albums or recording tracks can be considered.  

I plan to nominate a few, but would love to hear the forum's thoughts and justificaions.  

Control and/or Rhythm Nation.  Rhythm Nation is so iconic for it's imagery alone, that it SHOULD be inducted.  The music was another story.

Control is my favorite Janet album though.-_-

Control is one of the most influential albums of its time easily, I can't believe Prince threw a copy of it out of his car onto Jimmy's mama house, so petty :lol:

• Upvote 1

Control was quite a breakthrough into the music industry and was Janet's personal announcement to the pop world that she had arrived.  But Rhythm Nation, the album and the song, transcended just being great pop / R&B / dance music, and went to another level of "cultural significance" because of the message, the hard-hitting production and the ground-breaking choreography, which still exists today on a plane all its own.  No other dance artist since has attempted to touch it.  MTV had the RN "mini-movie" on repeat for what seemed like 2 or 3 years.  

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Album: RN1814

Song: The Knowledge (it went beyond just music to anything you dream, you can make happen. Even Mariah was singing about making it happen around the same time I think too.)

Totally agree that The Knowledge was significant.  Many of her fans during the RN era quoted that song as having changed their lives.  

But the only reason I would put Rhythm Nation (song) above The Knowledge is because it wasn't a single.  Rhythm Nation video is a part of world iconography.  

• Upvote 2