Can Katy Perry get a Witness??

wayneashleymusic

So it took me a minute, but after a couple of listens, I have actually come around to Katy Perry's new album Witness and I understand what she's trying to accomplish. Honestly, I think she really is starting to get WOKE and realizes that the superficial pop princess isn't going to cut it anymore. 

Witness isn't a perfect album, but it sure is a more bold move than most pop stars at the height of their powers would be willing to take. Ironically, the Witness era bare many similarities to Janet Jackson's The Velvet Rope, which was also misunderstood by 90s era critics for it's overt pushing of boundaries, but is heralded twenty years later as one of the greatest albums in pop music. 

What do y'all think? 

It's weak af and shouldn't be compared to Janet's most personal album.

Witness not personal at all, it doesn't push the envelope, lyrically it's shit... vocally it's shit (she sings in the same note for every song). It is by far her worst album to date 

the only tolerable song on the album is Swish thanks to Nicki Minaj 

Edited by State of the Game

The album is hit and miss. The title Witness is worth a listen, as are Swish Swish and definitely Pendulum. I think Power and Deja Vu get close to great but don't quite make it. 

This is not an album that'a going to hit on first listen. And yes I totally agree when I say the era is similar to TVR I'm not saying the albums are similar. Witness isn't as personal, and it lacks the range and focus of TVR, plus the lyrical content isn't as strong (of course that's the case when comparing any Katy Perry album to ANY Janet album). But is taking a huge risk in trying to get woke. 

• Upvote 2

The album is hit and miss. The title Witness is worth a listen, as are Swish Swish and definitely Pendulum. I think Power and Deja Vu get close to great but don't quite make it. 

This is not an album that'a going to hit on first listen. And yes I totally agree when I say the era is similar to TVR I'm not saying the albums are similar. Witness isn't as personal, and it lacks the range and focus of TVR, plus the lyrical content isn't as strong (of course that's the case when comparing any Katy Perry album to ANY Janet album). But is taking a huge risk in trying to get woke. 

It doesn't differentiate between any other pop album. It doesn't stand out so idk how this album by Katy is close to similar to TVR 

Perry had nothing to say during this album and you can tell (granted she has nothing to say during any album)

Let me know her album's 1st week sales. I'm sure it's gonna flop. Everything she's given thus far is a total miss smh

Witness sold 170k of pure album sales. 

To compare, Prism sold 286k; Teenage Dream sold 192k (all first week) 

Not totally a flop... it actually performed better than expect but it doesn't have the staying power as her previous albums

Witness sold 170k of pure album sales. 

To compare, Prism sold 286k; Teenage Dream sold 192k (all first week) 

Not totally a flop... it actually performed better than expect but it doesn't have the staying power as her previous albums

Oh wow that actually is decent. Then again she did do a lot of promo. I think it's gonna fall quick

Ok so I digress.  The comparisons to Ms. Jackson's work are not warranted.  End of story and I take back the comment.  

On Katy Perry's Witness, it is most certainly not 'complete shit'.  Some of the songs are quite good, and a hell of a lot more inventive than most of what's coming out today.  At least she's trying to do something.  But even on some of the songs that lack lyrical depth, the production is stellar and they are bops which would be welcome on most any playlist.  

a hell of a lot more inventive than most of what's coming out today.  

At least she's trying to do something.  But even on some of the songs that lack lyrical depth, the production is stellar and they are bops which would be welcome on most any playlist.  

Not really and the critics agrees

She has hit makers on this album but zero substantial hits. Lyrics >>> beats/production  

With all due respect, I loved her previous albums. They all featured great production and okay lyrics. two or three album tracks were solid

I knew she lost her way with that Olympic song. She's going to Gaga herself

She's not talented enough to Gaga herself. :umm:

How dare you.

• Upvote 1

True but they're in the same boat in terms of making shit music

The Cure says otherwise. :coffee: 

Also there's a lot of good songs on Joanne. <_< 

But yes, Gaga needs to get back to "Gaga" which at the very least is a very strong brand already. 

Katy on the other hand needs to evolve but I don't think she knows where to go.

• Upvote 1

The Cure says otherwise. :coffee: 

Also there's a lot of good songs on Joanne. <_< 

But yes, Gaga needs to get back to "Gaga" which at the very least is a very strong brand already. 

Katy on the other hand needs to evolve but I don't think she knows where to go.

You mean the song that peaked at #39 and as Billboard called it, a "necessary course of correction".. a step in the right direction but nothing big

There are zero good songs on Noanne

I agree with the rest

There are zero good songs on Noanne

I've heard all of Gaga's albums and yea I agree that Joanne was not up to par with her previous efforts...

with that said, A Million Reasons is pretty amazing vocally and melodically....and has become one of my favorites of hers and has rightfully earned a spot among her greatest hits imo

I've heard all of Gaga's albums and yea I agree that Joanne was not up to par with her previous efforts...

with that said, A Million Reasons is pretty amazing vocally and melodically....and has become one of my favorites of hers and has rightfully earned a spot among her greatest hits imo

To be fair... she literally performed that song so many times that it engraved in your (our) brain(s). That song is honestly weak but she's been persistent with it.

To be fair... she literally performed that song so many times that it engraved in your (our) brain(s). That song is honestly weak but she's been persistent with it.

to be fair I enjoyed that song from first listen.. and the only times I seen her sing it live was carpool karaoke and the Super Bowl .. but by all means continue to tell others why they like things

to be fair I enjoyed that song from first listen.. and the only times I seen her sing it live was carpool karaoke and the Super Bowl .. but by all means continue to tell others why they like things

I'm just letting you know how repetitive and consistent she's been. Not why you like it ??‍♂️

• Downvote 1

I'm just letting you know how repetitive and consistent she's been. Not why you like it ??‍♂️

you said it's been engraved in my brain because she performs it so much...hence, that's why I think it's good.. who u playing norm?