Billboard: The 100 Greatest Pop Songs of 1997

feehgarcia

29. Janet Jackson feat. Q-Tip & Joni Mitchell, “Got Til It’s Gone” (No. 36, Radio Songs) 

Billboard: The 100 Greatest Pop Songs of 1997 Janet Jackson Got 'til It's Gone The Velvet Rope

startling choice of comeback single for Janet — sparse, wispy nu-soul flirting with old-school vinyl ambiance, mostly memorable for its borrowed Joni Mitchell hook, brain-burrowing Q-Tip ad libs and chillest-party atmosphere. But Janet does save the finest moment for herself near song’s end, when she tilts her head back and delivers that laugh — easily the best laugh in pop, since it debuted on “When I Think of You” a decade earlier — and the beat rocks itself to conclusion.

+ FULL LIST
  • Upvote 1

I remember not appreciating this song when it first came out.  I guess I was just wanting that banging single from Janet.  However, over the years it became one of my favorites.  Those muted chords at the beginning and throughout, the beat, there's just so many understated layers to its production.  Love.  

• Upvote 2

I remember not appreciating this song when it first came out.  I guess I was just wanting that banging single from Janet.  However, over the years it became one of my favorites.  Those muted chords at the beginning and throughout, the beat, there's just so many understated layers to its production.  Love.  

I was very young in 97, only started listening to Janet around 2006/2007
But I get the feeling... It's close to what happened to No Sleeep! We were all waiting for a Feedback/All For You banger comeback hit, instead she dropped a mid-tempo...
A mid-tempo we all LOVE now, but when it dropped was a shock! LOL

No Sleeep and it's one of my favorites of the album and GTIG is my favorite video, one of my favorite Janet tracks ever *-*

• Upvote 3

I was 15 when GTIG came out... it was my first true exposure to Janet, and when I became a true fan.  I remember watching the GTIG video and just being amazed at seeing so many beautiful representations of blackness.  It astonished me that Janet, for all her wealth and success, could feel so strongly connected to her people and her heritage.  

I ran out and bought The Velvet Rope, and BOY was I in for a shock!!  I sat in my room listened to the whole album non-stop, then went in again.  

• Upvote 2

I was 18 and had just moved to college.  I was already a super fan, though (had been since I was 10 or 11), so that's why I was kind of felt let down at first.  I do still remember rushing out and buying TVR, opening up the booklet for the first time as "The Velvet Rope" track started playing.  I instantly fell in love with the entire project - the music ("sonic bed" as Jimmy Jam put it), the images, the message, the groove.  But I still skipped GTIG for a while. LOL

Edited by JJATL

GITG is a song and video I didn't understand as a child.

It wasn't until seeing her perform it at the Unbreakable World Tour that I really GOT the song and fell in love with it. 

I've always liked the choreography it's gotten though. That aspect of the song is underrated.