Thought's on MJ's "Invincible" album..?

Dal

The album should've been shorter in length. Also, I'm not a big fan of the title track, I feel like it should've been left off and the album just been named "Unbreakable" instead. But here's my personal preferred track order in some alternate universe:

1) Unbreakable (feat Biggie)
2) Heartbreaker (no rap by Fats!)
3) Invincible (no rap by Fats!)
4) Break Of Dawn
5) Heaven Can Wait
6) You Rock My World (no intro ugh!)
7) Butterflies
8) Speechless
9) 2000 Watts
10) We've Had Enough
11) Threatened

That would've been a MUCH more cohesive album, not to mention much easier to listen all the way through in one sitting. Mike went a little off the deep end in regards to track lengths and just the amount of filler in general.

You Are My Life, Don't Walk Away, Cry & The Lost Children (worst MJ song ever imo) are waaaay too sappy to be on the same album as Unbreakable and Threatened and 2000 Watts. Honestly, these are some of my least fav MJ songs ever made. Also, I don't mind Privacy that much, but I felt like it didn't say anything new that Mike hadn't already stated before on previous albums.

I liked it overall. 

You are way too hard on the title track I think.  The only thing about it that doesn't age well is possibly the rap.  But, that's a product of getting a lower tier "current" rapper.  See how Biggies verse doesn't sound as dated because he is a legend and genius.

There was a lot of sap and filler though.  Cry I am here for it still.  The Lost Children was derivative of his own work.  We didn't need another save the children song from him.

Privacy was needed though he has done it before but at this time everything he did was being dissected.  Tabloids had shit about him as much as possible, and he had accusations and innuendoes following him till he died. So of all the songs, Privacy is the most relevant to his life.

• Upvote 1

I liked it overall. 

You are way too hard on the title track I think.  The only thing about it that doesn't age well is possibly the rap.  But, that's a product of getting a lower tier "current" rapper.  See how Biggies verse doesn't sound as dated because he is a legend and genius.

There was a lot of sap and filler though.  Cry I am here for it still.  The Lost Children was derivative of his own work.  We didn't need another save the children song from him.

Privacy was needed though he has done it before but at this time everything he did was being dissected.  Tabloids had shit about him as much as possible, and he had accusations and innuendoes following him till he died. So of all the songs, Privacy is the most relevant to his life.

to be honest, my only issue with the title track "Invincible" is the fact that it's too long and that stupid rap by Fats... aint no way in hell Fats shouldve even been included on either Invincible or Heartbreaker (although his HB rap isnt as bad as Invinc), but that's Rodney Jerkins' doing for ya.. and he just keeps repeating the same hook for like that last 2 mins and it's just too repetitive for my tastes..

as for Privacy, I don't mind that track that much either, in fact I liked how he made a beat with the camera shutter sounds and clicks and all that.. but around late 2001, when Invincible was released, MJ wasnt really making much news and it wasnt like he in the middle of some scandal or whatever.. it just seemed like a "poor me" type of song around a time that he wasn't really being hounded in the press.. it just felt out of place, and i love his angry anti-press tracks (HIStory is my fav album of his overall)..

The Lost Children should've never been made.. i dont like it.. well, maybe he couldve made some different lyrics and called it something Christmas-y because it always reminded me of a low grade Christmas/holiday song..

Cry is fine i guess, but it couldve been better.. he didnt sound like he had the passion for that song like he had for Man In The Mirror or Earth Song or even Heal The World.. he didnt even want to be in the video at all lol

A perfect comparison for this album is Mariahs "Me.I.Am.Mariah" album where some tracks are in the direction they needed to go in and some tracks are the dated predictable sound they needed to move away from.

Butterflies

Heaven Can Wait

Break of Dawn

Whatever Happens

You Rock My World

2000 watts

^^^Those all save the album because they show growth and arent predictable, all the rest are predictable or filler or both

Edited by jarrylf
  • Upvote 1

Much of my appreciation for this album is that this is the most soulful he'd been since Off The Wall, my distate for much of the generic dance tracks is the fact that they really fuck up the flow to the high quality songs of the album

And ima say it cause nobody else has...... Unbreakable & Invincible sound way too much alike, 1 is fine but having them both on the same album would be like having Smooth Criminal & Al Capone on the same album  (not in terms of quality cause Smooth Criminal is everything). Id appreciate either song more if 1 was unreleased.

• Upvote 1

I loved this album.. Don’t Walk Away >>> everything else on this record. 

Threatened, Break of Dawn... Whatever Happens!!! Just amazing. His most timeless album, ever

Almost surprised to find out you enjoy DWA so much cuz that shit extra cheesy, tho YAML is even worse (and TLC takes the cake in cheese!).. I would disagree that it's his most timeless album, I feel like Thriller is and will remain the most timeless of his catalog (culturally and sonically speaking)..

Unbreakable & Invincible sound way too much alike, 1 is fine but having them both on the same album would be like having Smooth Criminal & Al Capone on the same album  (not in terms of quality cause Smooth Criminal is everything). Id appreciate either song more if 1 was unreleased.

I agree they sound too similar, which is another reason why I feel like Invincible should've been left off the album and Unbreakable should've just been the album title, although Invincible is a better sounding title in general..

• Upvote 1

Almost surprised to find out you enjoy DWA so much cuz that shit extra cheesy, tho YAML is even worse (and TLC takes the cake in cheese!).. I would disagree that it's his most timeless album, I feel like Thriller is and will remain the most timeless of his catalog (culturally and sonically speaking)..

MJ wasn’t the strongest lyricist.. not the worst but not the best. Personally I love his vocals more than his lyrics (I’m a sucker for vocals). 

Its Timeless production-wise . It doesn’t sound.. “dated” (excluding a few songs like 5000 Watt) 

Its Timeless production-wise . It doesn’t sound.. “dated” (excluding a few songs like 5000 Watt) 

it's beginning to sound dated, though not as rapidly as his Bad album did (took advantage too much of the synthesizer sounds of the late 80's).. yes, 2000 Watts sounds very 90's, but also DWA and YAML and TLC and Cry also sound old, musically I think, like Paul Anka or Rod Stewart could've sang all those songs and they wouldn't have sounded out of place ..

with thriller, there were mostly all in-studio live instruments so unless the melody is extremely one-faceted then it's going to be a long time until it sounds old old.. I think the oldest sounding song on thriller is probably either The Girl Is Mine or Baby Be Mine, but even then it doesn't sound bad..even Bruno Mars damn-near sampled BBM on Chunky

Personally the 2 albums I find the least dated of his are Bad & History, I mean with Bad Liberean Girl alone.......that shit ....theres a reason why it's so sampled, it fits into every incarnation of pop & R&B, I find that song truly ahead of it's time (same for Smooth Criminal)

• Upvote 1

Personally the 2 albums I find the least dated of his are Bad & History, I mean with Bad Liberean Girl alone.......that shit ....theres a reason why it's so sampled, it fits into every incarnation of pop & R&B, I find that song truly ahead of it's time (same for Smooth Criminal)

Bad sounds dated 

HIStory, not so much

• Upvote 1

Vince doesnt sound dated???? 

Gots to be fuckin kidding. Thats one of his most dated sounding albums. Its only like 2 or 3 songs that are timeless on the album. 

Overall the album was always kind of ....um...i had mixed feelings. Like "Heaven Can Wait" was a gem to the 10th power but then you have complete garbage like 2000 Watts . like..that is tge weirdest track ive ever heard in my life. So the album is like his best and his worst all on one album. 

• Upvote 1

Vince doesnt sound dated???? 

Gots to be fuckin kidding. Thats one of his most dated sounding albums. Its only like 2 or 3 songs that are timeless on the album. 

Overall the album was always kind of ....um...i had mixed feelings. Like "Heaven Can Wait" was a gem to the 10th power but then you have complete garbage like 2000 Watts . like..that is tge weirdest track ive ever heard in my life. So the album is like his best and his worst all on one album. 

2000 Watts is an oddball track for sure.. I mean at the very beginning you hear Teddy Riley's voice telling listeners to apply their 3D glasses.. like wtf?! Lol how am I gonna hear in 3D..?? But maybe it would've been a dope video had he ever made one for it..

I think Threatened would've made a seriously awesome video and even MJ said in one of his interviews that he couldn't wait to get his hands on that one..

does anyone remember the rumor going around that Mel Gibson was set to star in the Unbreakable short film that had been planned to happen? If true, that would've been interesting to say the least.. I wonder if Mel has ever been asked about that.. ?