Janet Jackson Still Got It, Mariah Carey Singing Like Your Grandma

Bailey

http://thyblackman.com/2017/07/08/janet-jackson-still-got-it-mariah-carey-singing-like-your-grandma/comment-page-1/

(ThyBlackMan.com) I guess once a star gets to a certain status they can be a bit diva-ish. However, Mariah Carey is known for being a diva far beyond what she can perform these days. Let’s be honest for a moment…Mariah Carey had a stronger voice than Janet Jackson hand down. Janet Jackson was no match for Mariah when it came to octaves. But these days Mariah Carey is more a “we remember when” kind of artist. I know some of you might think that’s unfair to say based on the family Janet Jackson comes from…but the longevity of that family really is Michael Jackson and Janet Jackson.

Mariah is a headache diva that does not seem to adjust well with123janetjacksonMariahcarey-300x222.jpg time. Her shows aren’t that entertaining, and it seems like her voice is shot. Mariah Carey spends more time running around in too small clothes that shine trying to hold on to an era in her life that has passed. Honestly, I wouldn’t pay a dime to see Mariah Carey in concert. I would prefer to remember her back when I loved her music and her voice was solid. Even on drugs Whitney Houston didn’t sound as bad as Mariah Carey sounds these days. Granted maybe she just needs a break and a large supply of ginger root tea to get it together, but she needs to do something.

Janet Jackson, on the other hand, evolves and is true to her dynamic stage presence. It can be argued that she is still relevant to music today. On her last album, her voice actually showed development, and sounded seasoned. Janet Jackson is a grown woman and it seems she is more comfortable with who she is right now. It’s a bonafide fact that Janet Jackson is an international superstar, and she may be difficult to work with…but we don’t know that. She has a famous family, but she came out of Michael Jackson’s shadow decades ago, and her other siblings can’t touch her. Janet Jackson will be going back on tour, and so many fans are ready to see their icon on stage. They know she won’t disappoint.

I have no idea if Mariah Carey and Janet Jackson know each other personally, but if Mariah Carey ever wants to be relevant again…maybe she and Janet Jackson should chat. Janet Jackson is still on fire…it makes me sad to think I see Mariah Carey as a has been. Mariah just feels like a waste of voice and talent.b

I'll bring the comments, and may even copy and paste them to this blog...  

Mariah Carey and Janet Jackson are two females of color that ruled music for a long span of time.  And that's really the absolute end of the comparison.  Personally, I've always been more "into" Janet's work over Mariah's, but to hate on her like this is just really unfair.  That's energy that would be better served telling people getting more people WOKE on Janet's accomplishments.  

At the end of the day, Mariah Carey made some incredible records during the absolute peak of her instrument.  In my opinion, she made very smart decisions at the peak of her career to record and continue to rack up a TON of hits and sales, rather than launch extravagant tours around the planet.  When she toured in the 90s, it was very limited.  As a result, she kept demand for her work high.  But the downside to all of those incredible recordings made at the peak of her voice is that audience can't expect her to sing at 47 the way she did at 27.  It's just not going to happen with her rep.  At the end of the day, artists do what they can do, when they can do it, and once done and recorded that work lasts forever.  

Jimmy Jam has said that there 2 types superstar singers:  those which aspire to sing like (or live vicariously through their incredible voice) and those with which we sing along.  Janet's always been pretty firmly in the latter, and that is much to her credit in the ability to write songs with such wide appeal.  But amazingly enough, Janet, Jimmy and Terry not only made a ton of songs with timeless melody and lyric, but they also happened to make songs that are mostly easier on the vocal range.  

A quick example is Nasty... recorded when Ms. Jackson was just 19 years old.  To evoke the appropriate attitude, the song is WAY DOWN at the bottom of Janet's range at the time (F3 to A4 for those of us music people).  But 30 years later, Nasty stays firmly in her range because that's where her voice has matured.  From hearing THE Empress in New Orleans, she literally sounds better singing this song than she did on the original record. The same can be said for Come Back To Me, If, TTWLG, WHYDFML, Together Again... like 90 percent of her songs, really. Whether they knew it or not at the time, what they did was absolute genius from a longevity perspective.  

Of course another BIG reason that Janet's rep is more easily singable is because it's designed for dance... a lot of shorter, rhythmic notes in range where you can move and sing simultaneously.  She's never gonna do a lot of stuff that doesn't involve her dancers (power ballad, etc.).  

So for all these reasons and more, Janet's rep just has more staying power than Mariah's.  But that wouldn't stop me from going to a Mariah show, because I'm glad to go, listen, and sing along in those sections that may no longer be able to carry.  

• Upvote 1

What a biased ridiculously written article  and waste of my time.  Why the need to tear Mariah down to bring Janet up?  Fucking classless.  I am a huge Janet fan more than Mariah...but Mariah deserves respect at least, even if you ain't a fan. She paid her dues and paved the way in her own right as well.  Why people compare old mariah to today makes no sense to me.....the same can be said for Janet.  No one is going to be as good as they once were...SMH at these bitter queens starting these pointless fan wars

Edited by msboz
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Kudos to the Janet props, but they proved their opnion on MC is a waste when they said Mariah sounds worst than Whitney did at her worst......that's just low and not even remotely true, and I say that as a fan of both, but Whitney had moments on the Nothin but love tour....that Mariah hasn't. Mariah's issues are issues, but lets not....