What's Your Favorite Tour Opening/Intro..?!

Dal

For me, it's TVR intro.. the book, the visuals, the sound bites, the meaning, the explosion, the silouhuette, the music, the bass.... all of it compounded together beautifully, reaching maximum effectiveness as soon as the rear spotlights shutoff and you see Janet standing on that descending platform and her head tilting upward to reveal her face under the brim of her oversized hat..... incredible artistry..

no other intro comes close imo (although I did like the RWU intro as well, just not the same tho).. and tbh I didn't like the Janet tour intro much at all

• Upvote 3

For me, it's TVR intro.. the book, the visuals, the sound bites, the meaning, the explosion, the silouhuette, the music, the bass.... all of it compounded together beautifully, reaching maximum effectiveness as soon as the rear spotlights shutoff and you see Janet standing on that descending platform and her head tilting upward to reveal her face under the brim of her oversized hat..... incredible artistry..

no other intro comes close imo (although I did like the RWU intro as well, just not the same tho).. and tbh I didn't like the Janet tour intro much at all

Velvet Rope is Janets best project all around. The era the theme the music the tour everything. The concept of the VR project & the book makes it literally at the top. The book was brilliant, but the Janet tour's acapella & guitar rift is life for me. I just love it. I wish she enunciated lol but I love the natural vocals. 

The thing with the Janet. Tour intro is that I didn't like how they did the "surprise" moment when she was crouched on the floor and then she had to walk across the stage and buckle up on the Jumbotron lift and then come right back down.. I mean I think it's cool that they surprised everyone that she was on stage in front of them the whole time, but I think it would've been better if she was on the lift ascended in the air the whole time while she did her acapella line.. I remember one video I saw of it, where the concert was outdoors and it was still somewhat light outside, and it was cheesy to me how the entire audience could see her walk from the front of the stage and and climb on top of the lift and buckle herself up and then they saw the lift go up and her standing there and all of that before IF even began.. it wasn't very well thought out I think.. if they would've just started with the lift part it would've made more sense to me, or if they at least had some type of curtain blocking the lift portion of the stage until she was ready to come down..

• Upvote 2

I'll give a slight nod to the janet. tour opening cuz of the outfit (I love it lol) but...

I have to give it to the AFY tour opening because the opening curtain, the Janet stare, the descending pillars, and the usage of "Come on Get Up" as the song intro is just EVERYTHING.

• Upvote 3

The thing with the Janet. Tour intro is that I didn't like how they did the "surprise" moment when she was crouched on the floor and then she had to walk across the stage and buckle up on the Jumbotron lift and then come right back down.. I mean I think it's cool that they surprised everyone that she was on stage in front of them the whole time, but I think it would've been better if she was on the lift ascended in the air the whole time while she did her acapella line.. I remember one video I saw of it, where the concert was outdoors and it was still somewhat light outside, and it was cheesy to me how the entire audience could see her walk from the front of the stage and and climb on top of the lift and buckle herself up and then they saw the lift go up and her standing there and all of that before IF even began.. it wasn't very well thought out I think.. if they would've just started with the lift part it would've made more sense to me, or if they at least had some type of curtain blocking the lift portion of the stage until she was ready to come down..

I attended that show twice, the second time was an outdoor concert in the summer where MC Lyte was the opener. They used a giant sheet to cover everything and had shapes projected onto it during the opening sequence, once the sheet dropped "If" began with her on the Jumbotron ....they changed it up depending on when you saw the show

• Upvote 1

I attended that show twice, the second time was an outdoor concert in the summer where MC Lyte was the opener. They used a giant sheet to cover everything and had shapes projected onto it during the opening sequence, once the sheet dropped "If" began with her on the Jumbotron ....they changed it up depending on when you saw the show

ok cool see now the show I saw they didn't have a sheet up but it sounds like they fixed that as the tour went on.. thanks for sharing

• Upvote 1

ok cool see now the show I saw they didn't have a sheet up but it sounds like they fixed that as the tour went on.. thanks for sharing

yea Im pretty good at remember these moments, and what they were like, the crowds the energy. The show I was referring to was the one where Vibe magazine did their interview where she disses Madonna and the cover of that magazine is a shot from "You Want This" ...if you find the article it states they were backstage interviewing her on the Janet. tour in that venue I was in

• Upvote 1

I'd limit my selection down to three in my mind having been there, and thats Janet. the VR, and AFY, otherwise the rest were not as memorable, Unbreakable had a great sequence opener going as did most of her shows, but the small details of what happens between the time those lights go out and you see Janet, the three I mentioned were the most elaborate entrances with a grander vision

• Upvote 1

1.TVR

2.janet.

3.Unbreakable

(HM) Her entering through the back of the floor level seating for early #1s tour dates & The Essence fest

I tooooootally forgot about the Essence Festival intro! Thanks for the reminder... I wonder if she was upset about the screen malfunction not lifting up so she could walk to the front of the stage after PP was over.. it seems like she and her team put a lot of thought and effort into the "hologram" projection, just to have it fuck up and the moment be somewhat diluted by having all the stage hands run on stage to sort it out while the show was going full steam ahead.. 

I had read somewhere around that time that that entire first 10 min segment of the show (PP through FB) was going to be broadcast during the Essence Festival special, but since the technical difficulties occurred, they decided to televise Rhythm Nation instead.. oh well

• Upvote 1

You know this is so hard because I actually love AFY Intro too to be completely honest. And as I think about it @Dal I never thought about the buckle up thing because I never really noticed it. But it was the acapella part that always got me. So I just need to list them out, these are my favs lol I guess in order

1. VR

2. AFY

3. Janet

4. RWU

BUT the best intro damm near of all is VMAs MJ tribute. Complete fire. 

• Upvote 2

Great thread. For me it's between Janet & VR. I love how on Janet she sang acapella which I always wished she did more of. But VR the book was excellence. 

and for me its probably down to those two and not even three ....its hard to top the Janet. tour and the VR tour had the best whimsical  IMO

• Upvote 2

I know that this tour is an extension of the Unbreakable tour but I genuinely want her to do something very different! In all honesty when you think about it, despite the changing of songs, for about 3 tours she kept the same skeleton (such as whimsical, erotic etc) Janet - AFY then i LOVED the switch for RWU. And honestly for me RWU & VR were her best tours to date. But number 1s was kinda RWU & Unbreakable was a BIT different. 

I want this one to be like the change of RWU. Something very noticeable that feels like damn! I hate seeing any footage before I go to a show so I bought tickets to Dallas too so I can see it before social media ruins it. Atlanta is the last stop & I couldn't wait. 

• Upvote 1

I know that this tour is an extension of the Unbreakable tour but I genuinely want her to do something very different! In all honesty when you think about it, despite the changing of songs, for about 3 tours she kept the same skeleton (such as whimsical, erotic etc) Janet - AFY then i LOVED the switch for RWU. And honestly for me RWU & VR were her best tours to date. But number 1s was kinda RWU & Unbreakable was a BIT different. 

I want this one to be like the change of RWU. Something very noticeable that feels like damn! I hate seeing any footage before I go to a show so I bought tickets to Dallas too so I can see it before social media ruins it. Atlanta is the last stop & I couldn't wait. 

yes... RWU was an incredible show and such a departure for her.. it felt like a 2.5hr live music video.. easily her best tour imo.. except for the seriously stupid video interludes and her rolling on the floor screaming like she was being raped by some invisible force.. ugh *shutter*.. other than that, it was damn near perfect 

• Upvote 1

yes... RWU was an incredible show and such a departure for her.. it felt like a 2.5hr live music video.. easily her best tour imo.. except for the seriously stupid video interludes and her rolling on the floor screaming like she was being raped by some invisible force.. ugh *shutter*.. other than that, it was damn near perfect 

Oh fuck that!! It was her most brilliant concept & I think she told us the most truth of what she experienced, has seen, & watch her family go through in the industry. The wanting to steal her music & soul. I'm familiar you're an atheist so there's not much value of that for you...but even the part where she's fighting for her life against the forces & workers of Good/Evil & her not compromising and emerging choosing good! 

I loved her realness and concept...even the depth of it she put into. Definitely her best tour. 

Oh fuck that!! It was her most brilliant concept & I think she told us the most truth of what she experienced, has seen, & watch her family go through in the industry. The wanting to steal her music & soul. I'm familiar you're an atheist so there's not much value of that for you...but even the part where she's fighting for her life against the forces & workers of Good/Evil & her not compromising and emerging choosing good! 

I loved her realness and concept...even the depth of it she put into. Definitely her best tour. 

me being an atheist has nothing to do with comprehending the "story" that was attempting to be told on that tour.. people who love Star Wars don't need to believe in aliens or live in a different galaxy (or a long time ago) to understand what's going on.. it just wasn't a good story imo.. tbh I don't really place a ton of that blame on Janet tho, her creative team (i.e. Gil) had been lacking around that time..

• Upvote 1

me being an atheist has nothing to do with comprehending the "story" that was attempting to be told on that tour.. people who love Star Wars don't need to believe in aliens or live in a different galaxy (or a long time ago) to understand what's going on.. it just wasn't a good story imo.. tbh I don't really place a ton of that blame on Janet tho, her creative team (i.e. Gil) had been lacking around that time..

I respect it. That was the best I've seen them do besides MJ tribute. 

• Upvote 1

Im still puzzled as to how many people say they loved RWY tour, I found it lacking in some areas, and I saw it twice out of the 11 total shows they did.  The energy of the rescheduled Michigan date was dead as a door knob, as a die hard fan that felt terrible to watch. As for themes I didnt like the Evil Janet vs Good Janet segment either, it didnt convey the message very well through the imagery, I've always thought Janet's creative team needed to evolve more, to do even better details to a "Janet" show, the graphics at times have been down right cheesy to me. I did think her game stepped up on "Unbreakable" the imagery there worked well

• Upvote 1