Anybody here a fellow atheist?

Dal

I am Christian.

Have you non believers always not believed or was there something that made you stop believing?

I was raised Christian although even at a young age I questioned everything.. I didn't see how people could praise god for helping/saving their life while willingly being oblivious to starving kids either all the way in Africa or their own neighborhoods.. shit don't add up for me. Believing in an invisible man in the sky is the same as believing in Santa Claus or the Easter bunny or the tooth fairy.. when I really started to realize how evil organized religion is was when I began to see the laws that were in place or being created strictly because some lawmaker believed god wanted it that way or whatever, and the affects it was having on good people all over the country/world..

everyone is agnostic tho ? 

How? Let's say I believe there is some force or forces beyond our human comprehension and I am not interested in trying to pretend I could understand it. 

I know I may be misusing the term agnostic so I would welcome some clarification. And while you're at it, let's define what atheism is. <_< Like I think that means you don't believe there is a God or higher power but... something is telling me there's more to the story. 

How? Let's say I believe there is some force or forces beyond our human comprehension and I am not interested in trying to pretend I could understand it. 

I know I may be misusing the term agnostic so I would welcome some clarification. And while you're at it, let's define what atheism is. <_< Like I think that means you don't believe there is a God or higher power but... something is telling me there's more to the story. 

agnostic simply means that you just don't know what there is... and nobody knows, therefore everyone is agnostic whether they care to admit it or not..

and atheist means a lack of belief in anything godly related.. 

As a Christian, do you accept evolution as fact or theory? 

agnostic simply means that you just don't know what there is... and nobody knows, therefore everyone is agnostic whether they care to admit it or not..

You're confusing me with someone else, I'm not a Christian. I believe in science.

But if you believe in God you are not agnostic, no? That is real to you... right... so yeah technically nobody knows for sure but it's how we choose to identify ourselves, and if you identify with a certain religion then you take as fact that belief system. ?

I am Christian.

Have you non believers always not believed or was there something that made you stop believing?

I have some serious questions, like if there is an after life, where are the thousands of slave ghosts haunting the hell outta white folks in the South? I've never seen anything in my entire life that I would say was supernatural at all. I've heard of the universal principle of do onto others as you would have them do onto you, however I have seen many many people that dont deserve the things they acquire in life, not to begin even mentioning how they acquired them in the first place, which tends to favor only certain people...... too many questions that dont lead to answers that include a God that is altruistic

The way I see it based on experience with people.

Athiest = Firmly anti-religeous and pro science

Agnostic = open to the possibility in either. Generally more weight on science, but doesn't rule out the possibilities in faith or the unknown.

Like I dont know any legit athiest that would agree everyones agnostic, there's people in Religions that believe in their faith 100%, and there's athiest that firmly don't go along with any type of unseen unproven opinions. I get just as annoyed of over the top religious people as I do over the top athiest....Ive met no over the top agnostics lol.

Im spiritual, I believe its more to life & death than what we see and the effects energy can have. Im not at all a fan of organized religion, but think each have things that can be helpful in their structures. Was raised Christian but that didnt feel right at all from a early age.

• Upvote 1

You're confusing me with someone else, I'm not a Christian. I believe in science.

But if you believe in God you are not agnostic, no? That is real to you... right... so yeah technically nobody knows for sure but it's how we choose to identify ourselves, and if you identify with a certain religion then you take as fact that belief system. ?

ur right I was thinking u were Amy for a second lol.. people can believe in anything they want, but unless they know for a certainty ("belief" is not confirmation), then they are agnostic, again, whether they identify themselves as one or not..

I am Christian.

Do you believe in Adam & Eve is how humans came to be or the process of evolution?

Athiest = Firmly anti-religeous and pro science

Agnostic = open to the possibility in either. Generally more weight on science, but doesn't rule out the possibilities in faith or the unknown.

Like I dont know any legit athiest that would agree everyones agnostic, there's people in Religions that believe in their faith 100%, and there's athiest that firmly don't go along with any type of unseen unproven opinions. I get just as annoyed of over the top religious people as I do over the top athiest....Ive met no over the top agnostics lol.

Im spiritual, I believe its more to life & death than what we see and the effects energy can have. Im not at all a fan of organized religion, but think each have things that can be helpful in their structures. Was raised Christian but that didnt feel right at all from a early age.

Hi my name is Dal and I agree that everyone is agnostic, whether they agree with that notion or not....nice to meet you (now you know one)..

and again, agnostic doesn't mean you don't care one way or the other.... it simply means you don't know one way or the other... and no matter what a person chooses to believe, a belief in something is not proof of something... therefore everyone is agnostic..

hopefully that makes sense.. if not, maybe Ricky Gervais' explanation on the topic will suit you better:

• Upvote 1

ur right I was thinking u were Amy for a second lol.. people can believe in anything they want, but unless they know for a certainty ("belief" is not confirmation), then they are agnostic, again, whether they identify themselves as one or not..

Do you believe in Adam & Eve is how humans came to be or the process of evolution?

Hi my name is Dal and I agree that everyone is agnostic, whether they agree with that notion or not....nice to meet you (now you know one)..

and again, agnostic doesn't mean you don't care one way or the other.... it simply means you don't know one way or the other... and no matter what a person chooses to believe, a belief in something is not proof of something... therefore everyone is agnostic..

hopefully that makes sense.. if not, maybe Ricky Gervais' explanation on the topic will suit you better:

Hi Dal, I..um....more so meant...you know...in person lol...like same room, eye contact, verbal conversation. Most Atheist I know like that arent a fan of agnostics and criticize them for "fence riding", Bill Maher publically does that. I hate that tho, Im not for anything that claims to know the answer to EVERY THING and leaves no room for correction. I understand what you're saying, how you put it was fine, but I disagree simply because I've had this similar discussion with a hardcore athiest and her point that I had to respect is her opinion aligns with facts, thus she doesnt need to "believe" in something to be true, its true  (to her) regardless. People are the same way with organizes religions. Theres many that leave no room for being wrong. In their eyes their beliefs are hardcore facts.

But I am honestly & personally in agreement in what youre saying, but not everybody thinks that way, you got people who'll die for their beliefs and take any of us with them in the name of it, in their minds its a fact, and that to me is what seperates a Atheist from a Agnostic person

Edited by jarrylf
  • Upvote 1

Hi Dal, I..um....more so meant...you know...in person lol...like same room, eye contact, verbal conversation. Most Atheist I know like that arent a fan of agnostics and criticize them for "fence riding", Bill Maher publically does that. I hate that tho, Im not for anything that claims to know the answer to EVERY THING and leaves no room for correction. I understand what you're saying, how you put it was fine, but I disagree simply because I've had this similar discussion with a hardcore athiest and her point that I had to respect is her opinion aligns with facts, thus she doesnt need to "believe" in something to be true, its true  (to her) regardless. People are the same way with organi

gotcha.. I should've tried to meet you at ur work last December then haha

although for anybody with 5 free mins I think it's worth a listen to Ricky Gervais' points on why he's an atheist...at the end of his interview he makes a great point on why if religion went away, it would never come back the same, as opposed to science..

although for anybody with 5 free mins I think it's worth a listen to Ricky Gervais' points on why he's an atheist...at the end of his interview he makes a great point on why if religion went away, it would never come back the same, as opposed to science..

I watched him, he made some valid points, and the audience even clapped in at the beginning like hey atheists in the house -_-

• Upvote 1

I agree lol, it was a day I was working too lol.

OH YEAH I love me some Ricky so I plan on watching for sure when I get home

• Upvote 1

so Dal, at what point did you realize you were an atheist? Did you grow up with a house filled with Virgin Mary "stuff" all over the place? Most Latinos I have come across as friends are very much about their Catholic beliefs...annoyingly so :coffee: I mean like they build "altars" in their homes with candles and "stuff"

Edited by Bailey.

so Dal, at what point did you realize you were an atheist? Did you grow up with a house filled with Virgin Mary "stuff" all over the place? Most Latinos I have come across as friends are very much about their Catholic beliefs...annoyingly so :coffee: I mean like they build "altars" in their homes with candles and "stuff"

my grandmother is as religious as they come.. her life revolved around her church practices.. she was in the church choir, she would partake in church plays and productions, even around Christmas time we could only buy Christmas trees from her church (even though they were expensive asf, her excuse was "well the money goes to the church"..ugh).. when I was a kid (ages 8-12) I would damn near skip to church because I loved going... after a while I realized I enjoyed church moreso for the social aspect (had a lotta friends there) as opposed to the teachings and all that..

but to answer ur question, I think I knew when I was about 15 or so.. I didn't really "come out" as an atheist until my early 20's.. my wife grew up rather religious, and when I told her I was an atheist she almost had a cow.. we argued about it for a while, over a period of a few weeks here n there really.. but after a while, I think I've nearly converted her.. she'll tell me about times that some of her co-workers or friends (or family) would bring up god and the like and nowadays she'll sort of laugh about it.. she finds it about as ridiculous as I do now.. like she was raised to be against anything the Bible was against.. she didn't believe in equal rights for LGBTQ, she wanted to raise our first born in church pretty much.. but like I said, after a while shes experienced on her own reasons to feel that God and the Bible are simply Aesop's fables, only 2000 years old.. the Bible is clearly man made, it didn't just appear out of thin air.. and the fact that so many still abide by the words of a book written in the stone ages til this day BLOWS my mind.. I don't get it.. it's legit brainwashing is what it is, no offense to those believers on here ??‍♂️

• Upvote 1

my grandmother is as religious as they come.. her life revolved around her church practices.. she was in the church choir, she would partake in church plays and productions, even around Christmas time we could only buy Christmas trees from her church (even though they were expensive asf, her excuse was "well the money goes to the church"..ugh).. when I was a kid (ages 8-12) I would damn near skip to church because I loved going... after a while I realized I enjoyed church moreso for the social aspect (had a lotta friends there) as opposed to the teachings and all that..

but to answer ur question, I think I knew when I was about 15 or so.. I didn't really "come out" as an atheist until my early 20's.. my wife grew up rather religious, and when I told her I was an atheist she almost had a cow.. we argued about it for a while, over a period of a few weeks here n there really.. but after a while, I think I've nearly converted her.. she'll tell me about times that some of her co-workers or friends (or family) would bring up god and the like and nowadays she'll sort of laugh about it.. she finds it about as ridiculous as I do now.. like she was raised to be against anything the Bible was against.. she didn't believe in equal rights for LGBTQ, she wanted to raise our first born in church pretty much.. but like I said, after a while shes experienced on her own reasons to feel that God and the Bible are simply Aesop's fables, only 2000 years old.. the Bible is clearly man made, it didn't just appear out of thin air.. and the fact that so many still abide by the words of a book written in the stone ages til this day BLOWS my mind.. I don't get it.. it's legit brainwashing is what it is, no offense to those believers on here ??‍♂️

interesting post :good:  you mentioned your grandmother's world revolved around the church, what I noted is you did not reflect on your parents experiences with religion, which I believe gives a more thorough "brainwashing"  you also mentioned the church was fun as a social thing, Ive experienced the same, my parents were NOT in the church but strangely their parents very much were, just like your grandmother.

It sounds a bit like an awakening experience for you, one that forces you to ask some hard questions and determine the only answers that do make sense, do not include a God or Deity in the mix.

• Upvote 1

interesting post :good:  you mentioned your grandmother's world revolved around the church, what I noted is you did not reflect on your parents experiences with religion, which I believe gives a more thorough "brainwashing"  you also mentioned the church was fun as a social thing, Ive experienced the same, my parents were NOT in the church but strangely their parents very much were, just like your grandmother.

It sounds a bit like an awakening experience for you, one that forces you to ask some hard questions and determine the only answers that do make sense, do not include a God or Deity in the mix.

pretty much yea.. my mom was somewhat religious also.. I remember sitting in the main sanctuary at church one Sunday and as she sat next to me she ran down the list of 10 commandments and explained them one by one to me.. I was probably about 10 or 11 at the time.. I think for her, she needed to grow more on her own.. and as of now she's against organized religion also.. people evolve their beliefs or lack thereof on their own time

pretty much yea.. my mom was somewhat religious also.. I remember sitting in the main sanctuary at church one Sunday and as she sat next to me she ran down the list of 10 commandments and explained them one by one to me.. I was probably about 10 or 11 at the time.. I think for her, she needed to grow more on her own.. and as of now she's against organized religion also.. people evolve their beliefs or lack thereof on their own time

yea as children we forget what it means for our parents to be adults of their own. My parents were basically kids when they had me, at my age I can only imagine how crazy it would be to be a dad at 24. My mother has had to grow and see a lot for herself spiritually and personally, but at the end I think many of us come out thinking this shit aint what its cracked up to be and <_<  and then you learn to deal with that reality

• Upvote 1

I believe it as fact, science proves this. Homo sapiens, Neanderthals etc. Sure God created humans but they didn't look like we do today. However I don't believe we were ever apes.

Both. Adam and Eve could have looked like scientists impressions of early humans whom we have evolved from. I don't believe that we are all descended from Adam and Eve, firstly for the reason that they had two sons so it would be impossible and secondly the bible only states that Adam and Eve were the first humans God created. He could have created many more after them.