Disney hits Netflix hard!

Bailey

Disney has decided to offer its own streaming services, and in doing so also remove any and all Disney content from Netflix. Netflix took a 7% drop in share value in overnight trading because of Disney's move.  Look out there's more than one game in town...although I do enjoy Netflix way more

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/08/disney-will-pull-its-movies-from-netflix-and-start-its-own-streaming-services.html

Edited by Bailey.

Disney owns Marvel. :unsure: 

Like I said Disney technically doesn't own all of Marvel. Marvel still had contracts with Fox Studios and Sony before they were sold to Disney. Why do you think they're trying to kill off the X-Men? They want X-Men back from Disney and Fox and doesn't want Disney making any money

all Netflix needs to do is continue to create great original content, that is what drives a great portion of their revenue. Netflix also has an established customer base with a continue subscriber rate over 90%, you can't get any better than that!.....hell my Netflix payment goes right thru my Paypal and its always money in there I don't even think about so they get theirs....I just haven't been watching much on Netflix lately, they need to think about how they're gonna end  OITNB, because how many of us are really keeping up on that anymore, its lost its appeal to me.

Edited by Bailey.

Like I said Disney technically doesn't own all of Marvel. Marvel still had contracts with Fox Studios and Sony before they were sold to Disney. Why do you think they're trying to kill off the X-Men? They want X-Men back from Disney and Fox and doesn't want Disney making any money

So does Disney just own the Marvel movie studio and not all the intellectual property? 

So does Disney just own the Marvel movie studio and not all the intellectual property? 

Kind of. You see all of the Marvel characters are not owned by Disney since some were sold to other companies before Disney purchased them. That's why more than likely we'll never see any X-Men in the Avengers movies although in the comics Storm was indeed an Avenger before. Fox owns The X-Men and Fantastic Four while Sony owns Spider-Man.  For example if Disney wanted Spider-Man to show up in any Avengers movie is has to be approved by Sony themselves which is what they did being Spider-Man was in the latest Avengers movie. Same if Disney wanted Storm or any X-Men in their Avengers movies then they're gonna have to ask Fox.  

Edited by JoeJoe
  • Upvote 2

Kind of. You see all of the Marvel characters are not owned by Disney since some were sold to other companies before Disney purchased them. That's why more than likely we'll never see any X-Men in the Avengers movies although in the comics Storm was indeed an Avenger before. Fox owns The X-Men and Fantastic Four while Sony owns Spider-Man.  For example if Disney wanted Spider-Man to show up in any Avengers movie is has to be approved by Sony themselves which is what they did being Spider-Man was in the latest Avengers movie. Same if Disney wanted Storm or any X-Men in their Avengers movies then they're gonna have to ask Fox.  

Well you know your shit. Nerd. :asham: 

Like Joe said already, Disney bought Marvel Studios and the production/distribution rights for several Marvel characters... Spider-Man is still a Marvel property (comics wise), but to make a Spider-Man movie, Disney must go through Sony/Columbia Pictures, which is how Homecoming got made (Sony paid for it, Marvel/Disney produced it).. Xmen and Deadpool and F4 is Fox owned.. and they won't be doing anything with Disney anytime soon, if ever. Hulk is another Marvel character that has its solo film distribution rights owned by Universal, so if Hulk were to ever have another solo movie again, it would only be able to be released/distributed through Universal, and that's not happening anytime soon either, which is why Hulk is always only included among other characters' movies.. 

also, Disney doesn't just own Star Wars, they own the entirety of Lucasfilm, and that also includes Indiana Jones along with Star Wars..

not to mention Pixar and ALL of Disney's original characters..

so yea, this Netflix deal was merely temporary.. their plan all along was to create and have their own streaming service... the time has finally come (in 2019).. my family and I are huge Disney freaks, so we're excited for this!

• Upvote 1

Like Joe said already, Disney bought Marvel Studios and the production/distribution rights for several Marvel characters... Spider-Man is still a Marvel property (comics wise), but to make a Spider-Man movie, Disney must go through Sony/Columbia Pictures, which is how Homecoming got made (Sony paid for it, Marvel/Disney produced it).. Xmen and Deadpool and F4 is Fox owned.. and they won't be doing anything with Disney anytime soon, if ever. Hulk is another Marvel character that has its solo film distribution rights owned by Universal, so if Hulk were to ever have another solo movie again, it would only be able to be released/distributed through Universal, and that's not happening anytime soon either, which is why Hulk is always only included among other characters' movies.. 

also, Disney doesn't just own Star Wars, they own the entirety of Lucasfilm, and that also includes Indiana Jones along with Star Wars..

so yea, this Netflix deal was merely temporary.. their plan all along was to create and have their own streaming service... the time has finally come (in 2019).. my family and I are huge Disney freaks, so we're excited for this!

Janet is a Disney freak too, I hear or rather think its an California thing -_-

• Upvote 1

Unless Disney creates something not called Disney, I want my sex in my shows like Sense8, like Shameless, or I love love love the Gay and Lesbian content section, I dont watch much of it often on Netflix, but its good to know its there when I want it. Disney gonna go gay for pay? :filenails:

Edited by Bailey.

Unless Disney creates something not called Disney, I want my sex in my shows like Sense8, like Shameless, or I love love love the Gay and Lesbian content section, I dont watch much of it often on Netflix, but its good to know its there when I want it. Disney gonna go gay for pay? :filenails:

I think disney has enough content to go solo. Plus Disney has a steady popularity amongst children. Always will. Disney probably isn’t going to enter the “adult content” genre like Netflix, HBO

It’ll have original content but probably on the Amazon level

• Upvote 1

Yes and George Lucas is salty about how they're doing Star Wars now and he hates it. That's what his dumb ass gets for selling it.

Janet is a Disney freak too, I hear or rather think its an California thing -_-

Is she still tho? Didn't disney take her Mickey Mouse statue away after the Superbowl

cc001fec8632767d0ab7f9659ff4d5e6--wardro

• Upvote 1

I think disney has enough content to go solo. Plus Disney has a steady popularity amongst children. Always will. Disney probably isn’t going to enter the “adult content” genre like Netflix, HBO

It’ll have original content but probably on the Amazon level

Image result for tell it gif

Yes and George Lucas is salty about how they're doing Star Wars now and he hates it. That's what his dumb ass gets for selling it.

Is she still tho? Didn't disney take her Mickey Mouse statue away after the Superbowl

cc001fec8632767d0ab7f9659ff4d5e6--wardro

they could do all that BUT, I have heard that folks in Los Angeles love Disney its something that state has going....

While Disney does have the content now to support a streaming service of their own, especially after acquiring Marvel and Lucasfilm.  The problem they will run into is people aren't going to want ANOTHER monthly/yearly separate streaming service.  More and more people are cutting their cable bills and go more for streaming services and a la carte options like HBO GO, HULU, Amazon.  Even Facebook is launching a new video content services platform that is going to have original content soon.

They will struggle to get people to pay for all that separate services just for a few shows and movies they like.  Won't be surprised if Disney just tries to buy Netflix at some point.

While Disney does have the content now to support a streaming service of their own, especially after acquiring Marvel and Lucasfilm.  The problem they will run into is people aren't going to want ANOTHER monthly/yearly separate streaming service.  More and more people are cutting their cable bills and go more for streaming services and a la carte options like HBO GO, HULU, Amazon.  Even Facebook is launching a new video content services platform that is going to have original content soon.

They will struggle to get people to pay for all that separate services just for a few shows and movies they like.  Won't be surprised if Disney just tries to buy Netflix at some point.

HBO NOW*

If you add all those providers + Netflix, the average consumer is still saving money (not including user’s internet bill). The average cost for American’s cable subscribers is $103/month. 

Netflix, Hulu, HBO NOW, Amazon = $50/month*

Disney can easily squeeze their way in there by marketing to Apple Users especially 

* - rounded basic price; estimation

Edited by State of the Game

HBO NOW*

If you add all those providers + Netflix, the average consumer is still saving money (not including user’s internet bill). The average cost for American’s cable subscribers is $103/month. 

Netflix, Hulu, HBO NOW, Amazon = $50/month*

Disney can easily squeeze their way in there by marketing to Apple Users especially 

* - rounded basic price; estimation

I am not saying they will fail at all.  They have a legit awesome catalog.  The Marvel Netflix shows are huge draws, critically acclaimed for the most part and anticipated.  I would automatically have their catalog jump HULU for example.  I don't watch anything original from them.  

Some of these people trying to do their own little services will fail.  I am looking at CBS little paid service for the new Star Trek series.  Who the fuck is giving CBS money for that?