Janet’s At Kendrick Lamar’s Concert in LA

I'm kinda just flabbergasted at y'all really thinking Janet Jackson is incapable of making a great album w/o the outdated JJ&TL. The patriarchy is kinda real? 

Y'all like to throw Discipline as an example, but Janet wasn't even involved? That was just a Rihanna album package Def Jam was saving for her that they told Janet to record ghjkhgjkl;. Not a fair comparison. I just find it funny y'all are so anti other producers, but your favorite songs from Unbreakable are the one that JJ&TL just co-produced aka tacking their name on a basically completed song aka what y'all get mad at Beyoncé for doing LOL.

Anyway, if y'all really think Unbreakable is a "Hip!" and "Fresh!" sounding album who's shelf life is gonna compete with her best then their is honestly no need to keep up with this discussion.

Our tastes are just... different. LOL!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You are so immature. I'd really wish you'd stop bringing Beyoncé into this argument. It really doesn't help your case here when it comes to the music sis ?

and honestly the work she has done with outside producers shits on all the songs that came out of the Unbreakable album. I Want You? Easily better than 75% of Unbreakable... and that's really no shade. Sure unbreakable as an album flows better than previous ones, but that does not mean the music is greater. 

And lmao at you throwing shade at All Nite. Most of her discog is about love & sex. God you are a big contradiction. 

and Dem Jointz is not a winner of 3 Grammys. A flop producer who's main credits come from Kelly Price and Jordin Sparks. Not the sound Janet needs. ?

:lmao: IWY... a song with no substance better than 75% of Unbreakable? :lmao: 

Critics >>>> you

That’s fine and well but Damita Jo was the tipping point. AN(ds) is weak lyrically. “Pop me like you’re popping a cork” cringeworthy 

Ignoring his work with Rihanna & Dr. Dre much? 

I'm kinda just flabbergasted at y'all really thinking Janet Jackson is incapable of making a great album w/o the outdated JJ&TL. The patriarchy is kinda real? 

Y'all like to throw Discipline as an example, but Janet wasn't even involved? That was just a Rihanna album package Def Jam was saving for her that they told Janet to record ghjkhgjkl;. Not a fair comparison. I just find it funny y'all are so anti other producers, but your favorite songs from Unbreakable are the one that JJ&TL just co-produced aka tacking their name on a basically completed song aka what y'all get mad at Beyoncé for doing LOL.

Anyway, if y'all really think Unbreakable is a "Hip!" and "Fresh!" sounding album who's shelf life is gonna compete with her best then their is honestly no need to keep up with this discussion.

You lost all credibility and are an idiot unless you have concrete proof (which you don’t) that the legends tacked their names on songs 

Unbreakable is a Janet album. Up there with AFY, & janet.... surpassing the five shit albums (1982-1984, 2004-2008) 

Edited by State of the Game
  • Upvote 2

I want you is fantastic, but yea no it sounds foolish to say it's better than Unbreakable the album (hell it can't sit with Unbeakable the damn song) Unbreakable moves as a better album, has a solid theme, it's lyrically deserving to be among her best, to act like it's not 1 of the highlights of her music career is to declare ignorance. 

No. AN(DS) was not a hit. Whisper vocals, terrible lyrics... about sex. SNORE.. Add homophobic reggae and it still sucked. The fans loved it and that’s all that matters. The general population was like NAH

Image result for lucille bluth gif

Britney & Ciara (as well as a number of 1 hit wonders and hits in general in that year) got hit's that year with the same formula. Critics also loved it, most of the GP had no knowlege of it because it got no radio play.... Janet's lessors were getting hits off of the same type of content Janet was making, but she only didn't because of the lack of support, the same really would've happened had she released "Rhythm Nation" at that time.

Edited by jarrylf
  • Upvote 3

Critics >>>> you

That’s fine and well but Damita Jo was the tipping point. AN(ds) is weak lyrically. “Pop me like you’re popping a cork” cringeworthy 

Sonically IWY is shitting all over unbreakable. That iconic mid 2000s Kanye sound is the reason we are still dealing with his annoying ass today.

Also why that song went platinum with little to support and flopped on the charts. Don't really see anything on Unbreakable doing that hun. 

And lmao at "No Substance." Just because its a love song doesn't take away the exceptional songwriting courtesy of John Legend and Janet's flawless delivery. The production value of that song knocks out 75% of Unbreakable and like I said last time... That's no shade!

And as far as JJ&TL tacking their name on basically completed songs, Jimmy spilled his own tea on that Kelly girl's radio show when he talked about how Night came to be on the album.

And Dem Jointz and his ZERO Grammys has ONE songwriting credit on as you put it a "song with no substance." (ha) As far as his Dr. Dre credit? sure.

Take that away, still a flop producer lmao 

you are just ignorant i can't 

I want you is fantastic, but yea no it sounds foolish to say it's better than Unbreakable the album (hell it can't sit with Unbeakable the damn song) Unbreakable moves as a better album, has a solid theme, it's lyrically deserving to be among her best, to act like it's not 1 of the highlights of her music career is to declare ignorance. 

IWY is lyrically weak, production is all over... vocally it was better live.. It had no business being a single and it is shit compared to 105% of the Unbreakable album

imma ignore the comparisons to Ciara & Britney Spears bc the former was in their prime and the latter was blacklisted on radio from 2001-2003

Also why that song went platinum with little to support and flopped on the charts. Don't really see anything on Unbreakable doing that hun. 

And as far as JJ&TL tacking their name on basically completed songs, Jimmy spilled his own tea on that Kelly girl's radio show when he talked about how Night came to be on the album.

And Dem Jointz and his ZERO Grammys has ONE songwriting credit on as you put it a "song with no substance." (ha) As far as his Dr. Dre credit? sure.

IWY is shit. Period. Damita Jo is shit in comparison to Unbreakable. The critics agree. ??‍♂️

You need more proof than that. Sorry but you can’t discredit Jimmy/Terry bc of one interview 

He was nominated 3 times but whatever. You don’t like em. Gotcha. He worked well with Janet compared to the hott producers of yesteryear. 

• Upvote 1

Imma ignore the comparisons to Ciara & Britney Spears bc the former was in their prime and the latter was blacklisted on radio from 2001-2003

Regardless, the point remains AN(DS) was exactly what the Pop/R&B market was pushing and making hits out of all year for everyone BUT her for 1 reason, no support

IWY is shit. Period. Damita Jo is shit in comparison to Unbreakable. The critics agree. ??‍♂️

You need more proof than that. Sorry but you can’t discredit Jimmy/Terry bc of one interview 

He was nominated 3 times but whatever. You don’t like em. Gotcha. He worked well with Janet compared to the hott producers of yesteryear. 

Lmao critics loved IWY tho. Nice try girlie.

And LOL at one interview. LOL at need more proof. When he said it himself. ?

You really aren't that intelligent and it shows! 

Lmao critics loved IWY tho. Nice try girlie.

And LOL at one interview. LOL at need more proof. When he said it himself. ?

You really aren't that intelligent and it shows! 

Yea I Want You was a good track. Janet had never really had a doowop kinda track. I'd love to see her explore that lane again. I personally LOVE mid tempo & R&B ballad Janet & ive always looked forward to that but I feel it's been a LOOONG time since we've gotten that right vibe. 

Lessons Learned is great and I love it but it's still not  IGL, FHTF, Anything, 24Play, ATAP, IWY, Lonely, When We Ooo etc. I strongly like Promise of You because it feels like a conscientious The Body That Loves You. 

But I think Janet needs JJ/TL as a foundation while bringing other ppl into the fold at the same time. They did it with Unbreakable...so I don't get the argument. Also DJ is a good album & saying it didn't have a concept while the entire thing seemed to be about "new" love which was JD & the island vibe was representative of the trip she says she feel in love with JD on. 

PS - I LOVE Thinking About My Ex shout out to Babyface

Yea I Want You was a good track. Janet had never really had a doowop kinda track. I'd love to see her explore that lane again. I personally LOVE mid tempo & R&B ballad Janet & ive always looked forward to that but I feel it's been a LOOONG time since we've gotten that right vibe. 

Lessons Learned is great and I love it but it's still not  IGL, FHTF, Anything, 24Play, ATAP, IWY, Lonely, When We Ooo etc. I strongly like Promise of You because it feels like a conscientious The Body That Loves You. 

But I think Janet needs JJ/TL as a foundation while bringing other ppl into the fold at the same time. They did it with Unbreakable...so I don't get the argument. Also DJ is a good album & saying it didn't have a concept while the entire thing seemed to be about "new" love which was JD & the island vibe was representative of the trip she says she feel in love with JD on. 

Look at this post full of logic, sense, and taste!

Edited by LawdToday

IWY was co-produced by Jimmy/Terry

Damita Jo had so many different producers that it lost the theme. Hence TAMX.. random (beautiful) song that did not fit the theme of the album.. oddly place between LYDLM & Warmth

Uhh according to Janet, Damita Jo was based on her her alternative personalities (aka she didn’t have anything to say). 

Too many cooks = an issue

One or two guest cooks = Unbreakable, AFY

Damita Jo had so many different producers that it lost the theme. Hence TAMX.. random (beautiful) song that did not fit the theme of the album.. oddly place between LYDLM & Warmth

Uhh according to Janet, Damita Jo was based on her her alternative personalities (aka she didn’t have anything to say). 

That's your opinion of the music this is not a debate. Funny when others disagree about elements of Janet they're haters yet you're trying to make your perspective of DJ being "trash" a fact. It's not. 

The album was good. Not her best but it was a really good album. 

• Upvote 1

That's your opinion of the music this is not a debate. Funny when others disagree about elements of Janet they're haters yet you're trying to make your perspective of DJ being "trash" a fact. It's not. 

Damita Jo has Metacritic rating of 53/100 so my opinion is based off of opinions of critics ??‍♂️ 

The album has a few solid songs and the album as a whole is good but is far from Unbreakable ??‍♂️ 

Lmao why did you just clock his tea like that. Also I love how he uses metacritic as the only justification and "proof" for his argument like the political climate Janet was in didn't taint a lot of those reviews. 

He is incapable of creating his own nuanced opinions without others telling him what they are. Simple minded teas. 

• Upvote 1

Sonically IWY is shitting all over unbreakable. That iconic mid 2000s Kanye sound is the reason we are still dealing with his annoying ass today.

And lmao at "No Substance." Just because its a love song doesn't take away the exceptional songwriting courtesy of John Legend and Janet's flawless delivery. The production value of that song knocks out 75% of Unbreakable and like I said last time... That's no shade!

Calling I Want You an "iconic 2000s Kanye sound"...  umm, that song is 100% Doo Wop.  Kanye didn't invent Doo Wop... it's been around since the 1950s. And the lyrics are ok... nothing profound, but they get the job done. To be clear I love the track... It's my 2nd favorite on Damita Jo, but let's not make it something more than it is.  

But Unbreakable as a track or an album is a whole level above I Want You... end of story.   

I can't your shade seriously anymore.   Whatever your opinion of Jimmy and Terry, we can rest easy with The Knowledge that the collaborators you speak of have shot your assertions down... 

17:30-- "I model myself off of [Jimmy and Terry].... I'm a super Jimmy and Terry fan as musicians.  I've studied their chords, I try to study everything about them."  

Edited by wayneashleymusic
  • Upvote 1

Damita Jo was lovely. lol wasn't Jimmy and Terry on that one?

Exactly! They need to stop thinking everything Jimmy and Terry touch turns to Gold when it comes to Janet.

It sold more than Unbreakable... so quality doesn’t equal sales

Sorry.. Jimmy & Terry were right. Damita Jo was “good” because they still produced it and were the executive producers of Damita Jo sooooo fail

And then she released Discipline.. making it it the third album Janet worked with a bunch of solid producers (Self-titled album, Dream Street) and didn’t involve Jimmy and Terry proving Janet needs Terry & Jimmy... This isn’t up to debate. That’s the Way Love Goes 

Who said quality equals sales? I said if the album would've sold more no way y'all would be bashing it like y'all are now

IMO the key point here is standards.  Jimmy, Terry and Janet set a standard together with Control, and regardless of which you may think is the best of the following albums, I think we can all agree that that standard was met on RN1814, Janet, TVR and AFY.  This is Janet Jackson we're talking about here, so virtually any project she does is going to have highlights because she's an incredible artist.  I too actually like Damita Jo as well, but it didn't hit the standard of the Big 5, and that would've been true whether it was a smash hit or not.  Once an artist gets to a certain level, people are going to invest in them (at least USED to) regardless of whether or not their latest project lives up to their previous work. Damita Jo had enough songs to be a smash hit, and then it also had a lot of stuff that just didn't need to be on the album.  

Boom! I'm one of those people. I'm gonna buy a Janet album regardless and I don't look for "quality". I know she's gonna have at least 5 songs on there I like which is enough for me to buy an album. I listen to the album a couple of times straight through when I first get it without trying to see if it has meaningful lyrics as if that's gonna stop me from buying a Janet album.

Wow this tea

The gag is the some of the more lackluster songs on the album are the ones they produced by themselves. Yikes. 

Oop!

Thank You!!! Mind you Janet's last hit "Feedback" had absolutely zero to do with Jimmy and Terry so to think she needs them is asinine :lol: It made Billboard Hot 100's top 20 and sold almost 1 million copies.

Critics >>>> you

But All Nite was also written with the help of Jimmy and Terry lol

and nothing is as cringeworthy as Kitty Kat Meow Meow and that is the first thing fans hear when they see queen on stage. 

I can't w/ y'all. 

OMG I hate that part :lol: and I don't even like Janet's vocals in the song. Originally when I got the album I listened to the song but now I skip it almost all the time.

Yeah the same song you said has no substance but was written by 2 great song writers Kanye and Babyface. It had no substance because you say so? Nope. You and Jimmy are the only ones who complain about Janet having too many cooks on the album. When she had other cooks on "Discipline" it got her a top 20 even after she was still partially banned from radio.

• Upvote 1

Who said quality equals sales? I said if the album would've sold more no way y'all would be bashing it like y'all are now

Yeah the same song you said has no substance but was written by 2 great song writers Kanye and Babyface. It had no substance because you say so? Nope. You and Jimmy are the only ones who complain about Janet having too many cooks on the album. When she had other cooks on "Discipline" it got her a top 20 even after she was still partially banned from radio.

I don’t care about sales. If I did janet. would have been my favorite album and it’s far from it

Kanye is overrated 

Jimmy/Terry (aka the men that assisted Janet in the creation of her awesome albums >> you 

For someone as ol—errr “experienced” as you should know that Damita Jo through Discipline was shit in comparison to her older albums 

Charts don’t mean shit. We’re talking quality. You can nitpick songs all you like but the entire packages between 2004-2008 is garbage in comparison to Unbreakable and 86-01

Damita Jo has Metacritic rating of 53/100 so my opinion is based off of opinions of critics ??‍♂️ 

The album has a few solid songs and the album as a whole is good but is far from Unbreakable ??‍♂️ 

You're the main person who talks about people being worried about sales & wanting bragging rights which is the driving force behind their opinion on why Janet should promote. You're the main one who claims Janet's "legendary" status is not based on opinions etc. Yet you used critics to justify whether or not DJ was a good album. You're genuinely not intelligent...you're just a troll. 

Janet went from being able to do no wrong to public enemy number one. With examples being made of her. Anyway...

I don’t care about sales. If I did janet. would have been my favorite album and it’s far from it

Kanye is overrated 

Jimmy/Terry (aka the men that assisted Janet in the creation of her awesome albums >> you 

For someone as ol—errr “experienced” as you should know that Damita Jo through Discipline was shit in comparison to her older albums 

Charts don’t mean shit. We’re talking quality. You can nitpick songs all you like but the entire packages between 2004-2008 is garbage in comparison to Unbreakable and 86-01

I said if the album would've sold better you wouldn't be bashing it like you are. That has nothing to do with whether you care about sales or not. I hardly doubt any fan of an artist is gonna bash their album if it sold 10 million. Ok you say Kanye is overrated but Babyface isn't. I notice you had nothing to say about those same songs you bashed and said had no substance even though Jimmy and Terry helped write and produce them. -_- Who in the hell said Damita Jo through Discipline was as good as her older albums? Nobody, you're just talking out of your ass lol. Janet wasn't even involved in Discipline so of course it's not gonna have good quality like the rest of her albums but it still got her a top 20 without Jimmy and Terry. How many times does it have to be said to get it in your head that she doesn't need Jimmy and Terry just because you think so. Already pointed out songs that you deem shitty even though Jimmy and Terry were involved.