Controversial Corner: Heroin/Drug Overdoses

Rock & Roll Hall of Game

As you may or may not be aware, death by drug overdose has dramatically increased per year across this country. From 20,000 people in 2003 to 60,000 in 2015. Those figures include Herion, prescription drugs, opioids and cocaine. 

Whats your stance on this issue? 

Edited by State of the Game

Folks are depressed trying to stay sane in an insane world so they self medicate and over do it. I found myself getting dangerously close to being addicted to pain pills, but I caught myself before it became a problem. Now I just meditate while they criticize it and burn sage for the liars who print it. -_-

Drugs are evil.

• Upvote 1

It's very sad. I used to be a pharm tech from 2003 to 2011, and I saw the increasing amount of pain medications - CII/Narcotics, no less- being prescribed. It was crazy the back and forth we went through between patients, hospitals, insurance companies, law enforcement, etc. about the questionable prescribing we kept seeing. And when the government woke up to the problem and started putting pressure on doctors and hospitals, a lot of the people who were already hooked switched to heroin as the closest thing they could get. It pains me to see how many people have been affected.. It has also been very telling to me because as an lgbt person of color, I've lost friends to party drugs over the years and seen people thrown in jail indefinitely over pot. And as bad as the response has been with this issue, it's still been WAY more compassionate and better handled because it's hitting middle and upperclass America.

• Upvote 1

Folks are depressed trying to stay sane in an insane world so they self medicate and over do it. I found myself getting dangerously close to being addicted to pain pills, but I caught myself before it became a problem. Now I just meditate while they criticize it and burn sage for the liars who print it. -_-

Drugs are evil.

I completely agree, the world is "harder" and people are not all the same, not everyone is made of steel, some folks are not able to handle this world we live in and stay sane, its hard, and sometimes you need that escape, even if its booze and pot -_- but for others, the escape is more hard core, more "out there" and it ends up an addiction. I think part of the problem is prescription meds are widely available and advertised as a "fix" for so many things, you experience pain, they giving you some kinda pain killer. Maybe our society just went wrong thinking a pill would solve everything

So is the problem really the drugs or the environment that makes us run to them for escape? I'm starting to think its the latter.
I always find it fascinating when I meet people that don't drink alcohol tho lol
Game - you've always come across as someone who believes people who take drugs deserve the negative consequences of them?

Edited by vibeology

So is the problem really the drugs or the environment that makes us run to them for escape? I'm starting to think its the latter.
I always find it fascinating when I meet people that don't drink alcohol tho lol
Game - you've always come across as someone who believes people who take drugs deserve the negative consequences of them?

Good point but I think it’s environment and genetics. Genetics plays a huge role in drug/alcohol abusers. Children whose parents are addicted to drugs/alcohol have a higher chance of becoming addicted to a substance. Accessibility to drugs is in the equation but I don’t think it’s as big of an influence as the former two

As far as your question goes, I have an unpopular opinion.... I do not believe people who have had multiple non-accidental overdoses should be revived if given that chance. I think people should take responsibility for their actions or their loved one’s actions. I’m not judging or saying people should just not be sad that “Jennifer” OD’d on heroin. I’m just saying, I’m a huge fan of Darwinism. 

I understand the sadness but I don’t feel bad for the user... I feel bad for their loved ones. 

the problem with Darwinism as you mentioned however, is the interpretation of it can and has been extended to race genocide, that well "we're better than those people anyway and they're weak so they should die out"    Darwinism is used to justify social injustices

• Downvote 1

the problem with Darwinism as you mentioned however, is the interpretation of it can and has been extended to race genocide, that well "we're better than those people anyway and they're weak so they should die out"    Darwinism is used to justify social injustices

No. You’re thinking of “social darwinism” and that’s a theory that was coined far after Darwinism by a racist

Charles Darwin neither came up nor based his theory on economics  

Darwinism is natural occurrence.. not controlled by economics... money.

It’s not about race. Stay on subject 

• Downvote 1

No. You’re thinking of “social darwinism” and that’s a theory that was coined far after Darwinism by a racist

Charles Darwin neither came up nor based his theory on economics  

Darwinism is natural occurrence.. not controlled by economics... money.

It’s not about race. Stay on subject 

I see you :lol:  but Darwinism is a key component of social Darwinism, that component being natural selection, both theories have one of the major tenets of Darwinism as a defining attribute. Where you are correct is Herbert Spencer, was a racist, and extended Darwnism to humans. Spencer's theory of Social Darwinism has been discredited. That doesn't stop illogical racists from continuing usage , albeit erroneous, of  the theory

Edited by Bailey.
  • Downvote 1

I see you :lol:  but Darwinism is a key component of social Darwinism, that component being natural selection, both theories have one of the major tenets of Darwinism as a defining attribute. Where you are correct is Herbert Spencer, was a racist, and extended Darwnism to humans. Spencer's theory of Social Darwinism has been discredited. That doesn't stop illogical racists from continuing usage , albeit erroneous, of  the theory

Ok but I’m focused on the original and not something a racist took from Charles Darwin. Actually nothing about Social Darwinism is about Darwinism. They only share a name. 

Charles Darwin didn’t theorize Darwinism to apply it to social economics period. I don’t know why you would brought it up and I hope you learned something 

• Downvote 1

Good point but I think it’s environment and genetics. Genetics plays a huge role in drug/alcohol abusers. Children whose parents are addicted to drugs/alcohol have a higher chance of becoming addicted to a substance. Accessibility to drugs is in the equation but I don’t think it’s as big of an influence as the former two

As far as your question goes, I have an unpopular opinion.... I do not believe people who have had multiple non-accidental overdoses should be revived if given that chance. I think people should take responsibility for their actions or their loved one’s actions. I’m not judging or saying people should just not be sad that “Jennifer” OD’d on heroin. I’m just saying, I’m a huge fan of Darwinism. 

I understand the sadness but I don’t feel bad for the user... I feel bad for their loved ones. 

Genetics? Isnt it just environment again? When your're brought up in a drugs environment, the actions/behaviour becomes normalised...and hence a higher chance of becoming addicted?

I'm torn with the whole addiction thing. I tend to be quite judgemental too with addicts. But then I know that there are usually reasons why they turn to drugs in the first place. Stopping once you've started really isn't easy...it can be done, but again the environment, as well as mentality needs a overhaul.

• Upvote 1

Genetics? Isnt it just environment again? When your're brought up in a drugs environment, the actions/behaviour becomes normalised...and hence a higher chance of becoming addicted?

I'm torn with the whole addiction thing. I tend to be quite judgemental too with addicts. But then I know that there are usually reasons why they turn to drugs in the first place. Stopping once you've started really isn't easy...it can be done, but again the environment, as well as mentality needs a overhaul.

Environment is one factor, another factor is genetics. Addiction could run in the family.

There’s reasons why we turn to multiple of things. I realize stopping isn’t easy but some people don’t want to stop

I was addicted to cigarettes for 12 years... I "quit" at least half a dozen different times, all for various reasons and lengths of time. But every time I fake quit, I didn't really want to do it. I enjoyed every single puff of every single stoge that I inhaled, until the last 3 months or so... my wife had just became pregnant with our second kid and we needed to save money and cigs are expensive af.. plus, more often I was becoming physically ill everytime I'd smoke a cigarette, not for hella long, but they would make me wanna throw up and I started to crave them less and eventually I had one cigarette left and I lit it and took a drag and was like nope I'm good off this shit.. that was almost 3 years ago and now I legit haven't had a single puff from a stoge since then (I just sticks to bud and I'm lit af ? rn).. 

now everything else I do I'm def not addicted to them, they're just fun at times and who don't wanna get fucked up sometimes ??‍♂️

• Upvote 1

environmental factors cannot be dismissed either, genetics is a whole other discussion, because you could be a genius doesnt mean your shit kids will be :filenails:

I was addicted to cigarettes for 12 years... I "quit" at least half a dozen different times, all for various reasons and lengths of time. But every time I fake quit, I didn't really want to do it. I enjoyed every single puff of every single stoge that I inhaled, until the last 3 months or so... my wife had just became pregnant with our second kid and we needed to save money and cigs are expensive af.. plus, more often I was becoming physically ill everytime I'd smoke a cigarette, not for hella long, but they would make me wanna throw up and I started to crave them less and eventually I had one cigarette left and I lit it and took a drag and was like nope I'm good off this shit.. that was almost 3 years ago and now I legit haven't had a single puff from a stoge since then (I just sticks to bud and I'm lit af ? rn).. 

now everything else I do I'm def not addicted to them, they're just fun at times and who don't wanna get fucked up sometimes ??‍♂️

Im trying to quite cigs, not easy at all ...and ive had times where I thought for sure I was done, I went cold turkey quit and was done smoking for 6 months, then worked had me shifted to a new place and the smoking started up again

environmental factors cannot be dismissed either, genetics is a whole other discussion, because you could be a genius doesnt mean your shit kids will be :filenails:

Genetics is a huge factor. Addiction can run in the family much like being a genius or brown eyes 

No one is dismissing environment bc that too is a huge factor

We’re not talking about marijuana or tobacco. Yes they have addictive qualities but they’re not soft drugs. 

I didn't ask what was being talked about in here, I spoke about what I wanted to speak about..

if u can't handle that then ??‍♂️??

ps - I actually would classify tobacco and weed as "soft" ? 

Im trying to quite cigs, not easy at all ...and ive had times where I thought for sure I was done, I went cold turkey quit and was done smoking for 6 months, then worked had me shifted to a new place and the smoking started up again

yea the thing about cigs is that until you're actually physically and mentally prepared to drop the habit, it'll always creep its way back into ur daily routine.. the longest I quit was about a year, but really about 6 months because 6 months after I quit cigs I started smoking black and milds once or twice a week.. then another 6 months later I was buying Marlboro Lights again ??‍♂️

I didn't ask what was being talked about in here, I spoke about what I wanted to speak about..

if u can't handle that then ??‍♂️??

ps - I actually would classify tobacco and weed as "soft" ? 

Glad you made it all about Dal and his inability to control his soft drug habit ?? Wanna Cookie? 

PS- you knew what I meant. If you didn’t then ??‍♂️??

• Downvote 1

Glad you made it all about Dal and his inability to control his soft drug habit ?? Wanna Cookie? 

PS- you knew what I meant. If you didn’t then ??‍♂️??

all I did was make my post about my habit...

you're the individual making it a bigger issue..

..change the tampon in your rectum and then continue having a great Friday ?

all I did was make my post about my habit...

you're the individual making it a bigger issue..

..change the tampon in your rectum and then continue having a great Friday ?

This wasn’t a thread about personal struggles with soft drugs and/or alcohol. It’s to discuss the impact of hard drugs in your local community. 

If you can’t handle that then ??‍♂️??

I will not change my tampon and I will certainly not have a great Friday ?

• Downvote 1