New Janet/Jimmy/Terry Documentary..?!

Dal

I said i'm having a hard time believing Janet said that meaning I can't believe her self esteem was that low. Now do you fuckin' get it? Let's not act like i'm literally keeping track of your interactions with Game on a daily when the shit is in this very thread :wacko:  Some of y'all act like some bitches up in here. Quote me where I said I don't believe that's Janet. I'll be waiting.

ok cool we good then.... and fuck Game again right?! Yeah buddy high five! ??

• Upvote 1

I have a reply above relating to this, I dont want to dissect Janet's vocal's because she's so much more than a vocalist. People often gave Whitney so much credit for being this great powerhouse voice, not so much an entertainer, nor a writer of her own original stuff. Janet has written, created, conceptualized, and entertained millions over multiple continents for years, Whitney wasn't a power house touring act entertainer, and sadly touring is where the money is. So you get one of the other, I dont even think Beyonce is that great a singer, she's good at best, but does she put on one hell of a performance? YASSS!, Janet does the same just like she did the other night at 51 bopping and popping to Cardi B. -_-

I disagree with a lot of this. No offense...but Whitney in her PRIME before the scandals & battle with addiction, was a globally successful artist & touring stadiums & arenas everywhere. You have to remember her & Janet came from an era where ONE album could give you 2-3 occasionally 4 YEARS of touring. The Bodyguard was that for Whitney. 

Vocally, Beyoncé has not CURRENTLY had to or decided to make any music requiring her to fully extend her vocal ability but Beyoncé is far beyond good. If Janet gets the title of good (vocally) - it is illogical & unfair to give Beyoncé just "good" at best. 

Also one of the reasons it's HARD to have a fair discussion about Janet's vocals & music is because fans often don't engage it by writing off her ability to be an entertainer/performer as reasons to not give the conversation any play. The truth is Janet is a RECORDING artist when her music goes number 1 it's about the music before visuals or performances happen. So if we can talk about her dance, acting, performance, why does her vocals not get a fair convo?

Lastly - Janet definitely did write & conceptualize SOME of her music but this, along with some other Jimmy interviews, reveals Janet gets writing credit even when she did not LITERALLY write any of the lyrics. On the album Control - Janet wrote (actually pen to paper) NOTHING. Jimmy said this on his interview with Questlove on Pandora - Quest asked him flat out. This is not an attack but I'd love to dig into Janet the vocalist. Also you can be all in 1. 

• Upvote 1

I said i'm having a hard time believing Janet said that meaning I can't believe her self esteem was that low.

See this is what makes me want to have the conversation. I GENUINELY don't think it is as much about having low self esteem as it is recognizing her strengths & weaknesses. Janet DOES NOT have a wife or powerful vocal range. I'm sure she has sat around & noticed/appreciated others who does - and says damn if I was that vocally on top of what I am it would be over. 

Singing wasn't her goal. It became a profession she fell into and fucked with it. 

• Upvote 1

A lot of good stuff in here! Can't wait to hear the extra 40 minutes of material. I like that they talked about her vocals, harmonies and backgrounds and production of the music itself. I knew that The Knowledge was in scream but I didn't know about In The Closet. The doc had a great mix of known clips and new info and that filled in gaps and tied up some loose ends. 

Didnt we have a thread on her vocals already? Probably wasn't too extensive but I love talking about her vocals either way so I'm up for it :D. As far as the Whitney comment, I don't think she was seriously discouraged or anything like that. I also think people have to remember that back when she said that (1988-89) large, powerful voices were the standard; especially black females in particular. Whitney pushed that standard even higher. Janet still got praised for her emotive abilities and vocals rulings from singers at the time and I think that's what the major take away from the CBTM segment was

• Upvote 1

See this is what makes me want to have the conversation. I GENUINELY don't think it is as much about having low self esteem as it is recognizing her strengths & weaknesses. Janet DOES NOT have a wife or powerful vocal range. I'm sure she has sat around & noticed/appreciated others who does - and says damn if I was that vocally on top of what I am it would be over. 

Singing wasn't her goal. It became a profession she fell into and fucked with it. 

Ok now I understand. It does sound like Janet during the pre-control or control era. So now that you point that out it seems like Janet knew she could fuck up a stage/dancefloor and she's saying although she wishes she could sing like Whitney maybe God didn't give her that voice cause if she could both sing and fuck up a dance floor at the same time she'd be unstoppable and that's true. Honestly I've never seen a singer who's praised for her vocals and who could fuck up a stage at the same time. Beyonce was never praised by the industry for her vocals or her dancing. Only as being a performer which I can't watch her for more than 10 or 15 minutes before I get bored. In the industry if you're an amazing vocalist they're gonna want you to focus on singing. If you're an amazing dancer they're gonna want you to focus on that. Doing both just doesn't mix well I guess.

Ok now I understand. It does sound like Janet during the pre-control or control era. So now that you point that out it seems like Janet knew she could fuck up a stage/dancefloor and she's saying although she wishes she could sing like Whitney maybe God didn't give her that voice cause if she could both sing and fuck up a dance floor at the same time she'd be unstoppable and that's true. Honestly I've never seen a singer who's praised for her vocals and who could fuck up a stage at the same time. Beyonce was never praised by the industry for her vocals or her dancing. Only as being a performer which I can't watch her for more than 10 or 15 minutes before I get bored. In the industry if you're an amazing vocalist they're gonna want you to focus on singing. If you're an amazing dancer they're gonna want you to focus on that. Doing both just doesn't mix well I guess.

Who do you feel is a great vocalist? I want to know what people's opinions of great vocals are. 

To me Cee-Lo Green said it best, he appreciates a person who can sing - because everybody who can SANG can't SING. There's value and power in both. He said he is an example of a person who can't sing but can sang. 

I think Beyoncé is known for both from Halo to Dangerously in Love & Love on Top - many mention her voice. I'm not a big fan of her personally but I can't deny she has excellent vocals. Without me being into her music.

I think, especially after listening, there have been many times where Janet's voice wasn't utilized to its fullest potential. When I hear her higher vocal range & backgrounds raw -

IGL, Runaway, Escapade all the others....she has more range that sounds GREAT to me. When they have her being "attitudey" SOMETIMES it comes of choppy & doesn't give her voice justice. Not to mention as she's aged like all ppl her voice has changed. You can literally hear the change from Velvet Rope to AFY all the way to Discipline. 

Rich Harrison said he feels like Janet can sing & you have to bring it out of her because she displays it on stage or in concert when she gets louder. So - he helped create "What Can I Say" with her.

• Upvote 2

The original Runaway demo as written for MJ is being played, with original guide vocal track made for MJ to hear

It was made for both of them

Runaway has samples from MJ's Remeber The Time

That’s a reach... Cameron left that open ended

Edited by State of the Game

"After You Fall" has just been confirmed by Jimmy as being DIRECTLY LINKED TO/ABOUT MICHAEL JACKSON!!!

fuck you Norman and the other doubters...jp jp not a big deal but nobody believed me when I said AYF is about MJ

That Jimmy interview isn’t new and doesn’t prove anything 

Jimmy said he had MJ in mind when he made the instrumental but Janet wrote the lyrics 

Interesting documentary at first but  it completely ignores her albums post-AFY including Unbreakable which he provided already released interviews with Jimmy

It should be renamed  “15 years....” instead of 30

I recommend it for all fans but you can stop the tape after SOAG, if you’ve been paying attention to her career post-AFY era 

???/5

I disagree. The Great Forever is very much inspired by MJ (lyrics, melody, the way she sings). This was also confirmed by Jimmy on Twitter.

Shoulda Known Better (lyrically reminds me of Man in the Mirror, Heal the World), Dream Maker/Euphoria is clearly inspired by Jackson 5/early MJ. After You Fall I too believe is about MJ (as well as herself). And Broken Hearts Heal is obviously about her love for MJ.

MJ fans love to think Everything Janet does is “MJ related” bc they want it to be. It’s their story, their narrative because of their obsession with him. It’s sad honestly. They’re living vicariously through Janet

Example: Someone said NIGHT, Take Me Away were about MJ 

Lyrically TGF is about Wissam & Her... and that’s all that matters. Idk about the rest. Yes a lot of songs featured Janet doing that thing with her voice that she stopped doing in the 1900s (the same vocal thing MJ did). Janet naturally did that in the 80s too as Jimmy described in the documentary.

I don’t care what a song reminds you of. SKB is Janet’s song and inspired by Rhythm Nation and is classic Janet with a modern twist. Just bc it’s the same subject matter doesn’t mean they’re similar

Only BHH is factually about MJ and that’s it.. the rest is MJ fan speculation until proven otherwise 

• Upvote 1

Who do you feel is a great vocalist? I want to know what people's opinions of great vocals are. 

To me Cee-Lo Green said it best, he appreciates a person who can sing - because everybody who can SANG can't SING. There's value and power in both. He said he is an example of a person who can't sing but can sang. 

I think Beyoncé is known for both from Halo to Dangerously in Love & Love on Top - many mention her voice. I'm not a big fan of her personally but I can't deny she has excellent vocals. Without me being into her music.

I think, especially after listening, there have been many times where Janet's voice wasn't utilized to its fullest potential. When I hear her higher vocal range & backgrounds raw -

IGL, Runaway, Escapade all the others....she has more range that sounds GREAT to me. When they have her being "attitudey" SOMETIMES it comes of choppy & doesn't give her voice justice. Not to mention as she's aged like all ppl her voice has changed. You can literally hear the change from Velvet Rope to AFY all the way to Discipline. 

Rich Harrison said he feels like Janet can sing & you have to bring it out of her because she displays it on stage or in concert when she gets louder. So - he helped create "What Can I Say" with her.

Beyonce has excellent vocal technique but she's never been hailed as a great vocalist. She's never been up there when it came to being known as a great vocalist. You got Whitney, Mariah, Celine, Barbara, Patti, Aretha, Toni, and some of the newer girls like Christina, Fantasia, Jennifer Hudson, Kelly Clarkson and even Ariana is praised for her vocals.

Is there an MP3 of the show available yet?

Do you see one?

• Upvote 1