Everybody on the floor

Kaleidoscope Eyes

They played JALW because that's the song they were sent. :lol: They didn't magically get demo CDs of JAWL for no reason. 

It was leaked.. Virgin tried to play catch up with it. It was NOT suppose to be first single (or probably on the album since it’s terrible) but leaked songs was new in 2004 and Virgin Records panicked 

the shade paid to Damita Jo is terrible. Now Damita Jo is not the most cohesive album, BUT as any Janet album, there are gems to be heard. "Island Life" is a beautiful track that thumps and keeps the rhythm smooth and laid out. "Spending Time With You" is another gem cut to precision quality, glad she's performing both songs on tour

omg if anything to me its arguably her most cohesive album :umm: much more cohesive than A4U.

Edited by vibeology
  • Upvote 3

your reaching. I think if she deleted My Baby and Warmth the album would be pop/rnb perfection.

You cannot delete the best and worst songs and call it pop/R&B perfection :lmao: The album was all over the place. It started off awesome then went downhill after Thinkin’.. It’s the best of her worst albums (top of the bottom 5)

It was impossible to have cohesion with ten different producers on one Janet album (see Discipline) 

Um...who doesn't know the back story by now??? We have discussed this on this board a BILLION times.. ??? It had already been revealed by janet's team yearssssss ago that radio started spinning JALW even tho it was not intended on being a "first single"..only a buzz single ... R&B Junkie was always intended on being the first single cause they were tryna follow the "All For You" song formula and release a song that was a catchy r&b tune with pop appeal. But soon as they were shaping up to release and shoot a vid for "R&B Junkie" ..JALW kinda took off so they switched gears and decided to follow what radio was doing with the song.. 

Very very similar to the Aaliyah situation. "Rock The Boat" was NOT suppose to be Aaliyah's second single after "We Need A Resolution" . "More Than A Woman" was already voted to be the follow up single, hence to why they had already shot the video for it way before she shot the video for "Rock The Boat". Radio got wind of the "Rock The Boat" track..and started playing it ..and it started catching on...so Virgin and Aaliyah's team had to pull the "More Than A Woman" release and switch gears and follow radio and release "Rock The Boat" video. That's why that video was such a rush to get done.. cus they were tryna catch up with the momentum that was building and shaping up for the airplay of the song

Child, there was no such thing as a "buzz single" in 2004. The first song out was the single.

It was leaked.. Virgin tried to play catch up with it. It was NOT suppose to be first single (or probably on the album since it’s terrible) but leaked songs was new in 2004 and Virgin Records panicked 

It was always intended as the first single, and yes it was always intended to be on the album no matter what some of y'all think about it. "It's terrible but it's gonna be a buzz single." Y'all don't even attempt to make any sense.

Look. You need to do research before you post here. We been done got the info about the DJ era centuries ago. Every member on here will tell you the  same. Youre the ONLY person that believes your claims :lmao:

Janfam >>>>> you

What REAL Janet fan doesnt know that it was NOT intended on being the first single??? That is common knowledge in the janfam community. If you didnt kno this info, maybe you should check your fan card at the door cause youre lacking info that you should KNOW by now.. it's 13 years later and you're way behind. Catch up, "Child"

It was always intended as the first single, and yes it was always intended to be on the album no matter what some of y'all think about it. "It's terrible but it's gonna be a buzz single." Y'all don't even attempt to make any sense.

Janet said so herself.. She said it was leaked and was intended to be first single 

I loved it at the time but now that 13 years have past since that era (in hindsight), JALW has not stood the test of time

i bop to it every once in a while but JALW is in no one’s top 15

Look. You need to do research before you post here. We been done got the info about the DJ era centuries ago. Every member on here will tell you the  same. Youre the ONLY person that believes your claims :lmao:

Janfam >>>>> you

What REAL Janet fan doesnt know that it was NOT intended on being the first single??? That is common knowledge in the janfam community. If you didnt kno this info, maybe you should check your fan card at the door cause youre lacking info that you should KNOW by now.. it's 13 years later and you're way behind. Catch up, "Child"

Sis, don't even attempt to check my credentials. You can fabricate all you want. I been following Janet for 30 years. Membership on this forum that was created like 3 seconds ago don't mean shit. R&B Junkie was never even thought of as the first single.

Wow...seeing y'all debate these basic ass songs just made me remember that the Damita Jo album was...

Truly lazy

Honestly uninspiring

Undeniably boring

Sincerely generic

and

Unforgettably dreary

let's be real, Janet wasn't in the right head space during this time...I get it but to have her sing some of these generic ass r&b songs that should have clearly went to Toni Braxton and Brandy..it's was unforgivable! Then they had my girl walking around some dilapidated neighborhood, going to the Sam's Club, catching buses trying to come off as some around the way girl in the I Want You video..oh no ma'am! I was done. 

That whole project was saved by the ANDS choreography...that choreography was the Wonder Woman to the Damita Jo Justice League...and y'all up here questioning it's relevance on all the setlists after DJ...

Chile....

I'm done

• Upvote 1

Wow...seeing y'all debate these basic ass songs just made me remember that the Damita Jo album was...

Truly lazy

Honestly uninspiring

Undeniably boring

Sincerely generic

and

Unforgettably dreary

let's be real, Janet wasn't in the right head space during this time...I get it but to have her sing some of these generic ass r&b songs that should have clearly went to Toni Braxton and Brandy..it's was unforgivable! Then they had my girl walking around some dilapidated neighborhood, going to the Sam's Club, catching buses trying to come off as some around the way girl in the I Want You video..oh no ma'am! I was done. 

That whole project was saved by the ANDS choreography...that choreography was the Wonder Woman to the Damita Jo Justice League...and y'all up here questioning it's relevance on all the setlists after DJ...

Chile....

I'm done

That song or choreo didnt " save" anything. The album still flopped and was a forgettable project in her catalog. There were definitely better songs on the album than ANDS . lets not give it too much and pretend we did. 

• Upvote 1

ANDS was Janet mimicking what was popular at the time...if memory serves me correctly 'Hey Mama' by BEP and 'Pon De Replay' by Rihanna were great dance hits that served as instructions for DJ's and dancers on what to do at a club when the song came on...Janet trying to put her own spin on said songs came up with ANDS and I think it works when I put it in the context in which it was created. 

Is it her best song...no!...Is it her best dance song... absolutely not! Is it a funky little bop that gets amplified by the choreography and showcases Janet's skill as a dancer/performer...you better fuckin believe it! That's why it's on the setlist and you basic hoes will have to deal.

Um what exact part of that choreography showcased Janet's skill as a dancer cause she would only do the beginning part of the choreography. She never did the more technical stuff, the background dancers did all that.

Truly lazy

Honestly uninspiring

Undeniably boring

Sincerely generic

and

Unforgettably dreary

Chile....

I'm done

You had me and then you defended ANDS 

The lyrics to ANDS are cringeworthy 

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: ITS LITERALLY NOT. 

NOT EVEN CLOSE TO AFY IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. 

You cannot delete the best and worst songs and call it pop/R&B perfection :lmao: The album was all over the place. It started off awesome then went downhill after Thinkin’.. It’s the best of her worst albums (top of the bottom 5)

It was impossible to have cohesion with ten different producers on one Janet album (see Discipline) 

If you think My Baby is the best on the album we clearly have different views on what quality music is. In all fairness, there isn't much left after Thinkin..., your more than half way through.

When I say cohesive, I mean how it flows. An album that throws 4 slow jams back to back doesn't strike me as cohesive. I actually remember a few people I know who are not fans saying that DJ had a nice feel to it.

With DJ it worked, on Discipline it did not I'm my opinion.

• Upvote 1

If you think My Baby is the best on the album we clearly have different views on what quality music is. In all fairness, there isn't much left after Thinkin..., your more than half way through.

When I say cohesive, I mean how it flows. An album that throws 4 slow jams back to back doesn't strike me as cohesive. I actually remember a few people I know who are not fans saying that DJ had a nice feel to it.

With DJ it worked, on Discipline it did not I'm my opinion.

Agree to disagree.

Just bc AFY has four back to back slow songs doesn’t mean it isn’t cohesive. AFY album sounds whole.. like one piece of art whereas Damita Jo sounds like a collection of songs she made and stuffed it on one CD. Janet placed JALW after SloLove for god’s sake and stuffed that 18 month project album with pointless interludes while leaving off GEMS like Could This Be Love & I’m Here. Your survey of “non-fans” is too small of a sample to take seriously. I know a few people who like Trump.. they’re in the minority too

• Upvote 1