Beyonce Surprises Colin Kaepernick to Present Him With Sports Illustrated Muhammad Ali Legacy Award

kidfresh832

Colin Kaepernick got a surprise from Queen Bey at Tuesday’s (Dec. 5) Sports Illustrated Sportsperson of the Year Awards. Beyoncé appeared onstage to present the former 49ers quarterback with the Muhammad Ali Legacy Award.

The award is given to an athlete who uses their platform to promote change. Beyoncé said to Kaepernick: "Colin took action with no fear of consequence or repercussion only hope to change the world for the better. To change perception, to change the way we treat each other, especially people of color." Watch video below.

Kaepernick made headlines at the beginning of the 2016-17 NFL season when he refused to stand for the national anthem. The quarterback, as a result, started a movement for racial equality and social justice, inspiring other athletes and entertainers to speak out. Kaepernick was dropped by the 49ers early this year and hasn't been picked up by another NFL team since.

On receiving his award, Kaepernick said: “I say this as a person who receives credit for using my platform to protest systemic oppression, racialized injustice and the dire consequences of anti-blackness in America. I accept this award not for myself, but on behalf of the people. Because if it were not for my love of the people, I would not have protested. And if it was not for the support from the people, I would not be on this stage today. With or without the NFL's platform, I will continue to work for the people because my platform is the people.

When the honor was first announced by the magazine, Muhammad Ali’s wife, Lonnie, noted, “Like Muhammad, Colin is a man who stands on his convictions with confidence and courage, undaunted by the personal sacrifices he has had to make to have his message heard.”

Beyoncé herself is a fellow equality advocate, using her smash 2016 album, Lemonade, to fire back at police brutality and gender disparity. 

Read Beyonce's full speech below.

“Thank you Colin Kaepernick. Thank you for your selfless heart, and your conviction. Thank you for your personal sacrifice. Colin took action with no fear of consequence or repercussion only hope to change the world for the better. To change perception, to change the way we treat each other, especially people of color. We’re still waiting for the world to catch up. It’s been said that racism is so American, that when we protest racism, some assume we are protesting America. So, let’s be very clear. Colin has always been very respectful of the individuals who selfless serve and protect our country and our communities and our families. His message is solely focused on social injustice for historically disenfranchised people. Let’s not get that mistaken.

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/938253092658794496

Billboard

Then of course Fox News correspondent trash Tomi Lauren gets all outraged and tweets some utter bullshit and gets dragged.

Tomi Lahren Bashed Beyoncé And The Beyhive Fiercely Defended Its Queen

When Fox News contributor Tomi Lahren bashed Beyoncé on Twitter early Wednesday, the pop star’s fans immediately sprang to their queen’s defense.

Lahren sparked anger by sharing this photograph of Beyoncé presenting former San Francisco 49er Colin Kaepernick with Sports Illustrated’s Muhammad Ali Legacy Awardon Tuesday night:

Kaepernick began protesting racial injustice and police brutality last year by taking a knee during the national anthem before NFL games. He received the award for using his platform to try to effect change.

Lahren described Beyoncé as “police-hating” and Kaepernick as “police and America-hating” in her caption.

“This is how far we’ve fallen. Wow,” she added.  

Lahren has repeatedly criticized Kaepernick in the past. On Thanksgiving, she even shared a manipulated image depicting him appearing to take a knee during the 1944 D-Day landings.

Her latest post did not go down well:

Huffpost

These people are gross.  GOP/FauxNews gets more mad at entertainers and athletes talking about racism and equality than they do about child predators about to be elected to Congress in Alabama.