I think "if" is her greatest song

Xtraordinary Xternal

Within the fan community. :sigh:

I'm talking about outside of it (which is what's important). :rolleyes::coffee:

As far as newer stuff she doesn't, but her older work is always praised when she's mentioned.

Her older work is generally like, but she doesn't get the respect or praise she deserves overall. She's an icon and a legend, but it isn't acknowledge as it should be...she doesn't receive even a tenth of the respect she deserves.

• Upvote 1

Her older work is generally like, but she doesn't get the respect or praise she deserves overall. She's an icon and a legend, but it isn't acknowledge as it should be...she doesn't receive even a tenth of the respect she deserves.

She was deeply praised after being the first MTV Icon (I still don't know why Virgin didn't milk that by releasing non-stop singles from the AFY album), but you know it stalled after the SB...and then with the albums following that not being a "Janet Jackson album" in the terms of sales and popularity and the last tour, the acknowledgment basically stopped. I think now if she does actually release music and does well, they will start praising her more...look at how the critics loved "Make Me", "Nothing", "Heartbeat Love" and her Idol and EMF performances.

She was deeply praised after being the first MTV Icon (I still don't know why Virgin didn't milk that by releasing non-stop singles from the AFY album), but you know it stalled after the SB...and then with the albums following that not being a "Janet Jackson album" in the terms of sales and popularity and the last tour, the acknowledgment basically stopped. I think now if she does actually release music and does well, they will start praising her more...look at how the critics loved "Make Me", "Nothing", "Heartbeat Love" and her Idol and EMF performances.

Virgin had just signed Mariah to a $100 million dollar contract, and all focus was turned to trying make sure they got a return on their investment...Janet got fucked over in the process.

An artists career taking a downturn or slowing down should not signify the end of the praise or respect. Especially for an artist who is a legend. That's like saying well Aretha Franklin career isn't what it used to be, so FUCK everything she's accomplished, those she's inspired, and barriers she broke down...I don't respect her, I'm moving on to the next bitch (no I'm not comparing Janet to Aretha, I'm just using her to make a point).

I get what you're saying...I just don't agree with it. lol

• Upvote 1

Exactly. Like "If" is the pinnacle of Janet's catalog. It's a strong single and song, but the strongest? Hell no.

You can post that again -_-

Virgin had just signed Mariah to a $100 million dollar contract, and all focus was turned to trying make sure they got a return on their investment...Janet got fucked over in the process.

An artists career taking a downturn or slowing down should not signify the end of the praise or respect. Especially for an artist who is a legend. That's like saying well Aretha Franklin career isn't what it used to be, so FUCK everything she's accomplished, those she's inspired, and barriers she broke down...I don't respect her, I'm moving on to the next bitch (no I'm not comparing Janet to Aretha, I'm just using her to make a point).

I get what you're saying...I just don't agree with it. lol

:smh:

But you also have to remember that Janet is a Jackson, so that played a huge part in them dissing her accomplishments also :smh:

Just as long as you get it :coffee:

I actually don't hear too many non witnesses talk about "If". Most ppl I know only reference TTWLG, ATAP, and Again when it comes to the janet. album.

:mellow:

For the general public/ causal fans they ALWAYS talk about the "Control" singles, the "Rhythm Nation" singles, then TTWLG, IF, and maybe "All For You" in terms of Janet singles.

• Upvote 1

:smh:

But you also have to remember that Janet is a Jackson, so that played a huge part in them dissing her accomplishments also :smh:

Just as long as you get it :coffee:

It was the Mariah situation and for some reason...Virgin was very off with how they handled the AFY project. At the time the fans were complaining about STCML and how it was released so FAR after AFY's peak. It just didn't make any sense to anyone...The AFY era is usually looked back on favorably by the fans (as it was Janet's last big hit), but there was a lot of BS that happened during that time.

True...Being a Jackson is also a big part of it.

I get it, but I don't agree...and you're wrong. :coffee:

• Upvote 1