• #1's (1998)
    • Rainbow (1999)
    • Glitter (2001)
    • Charm Bracelet (2002)
    • Emancipation Of Mimi (2005)
    • E=MC2 (2008)
    • Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel (2009)
    • Merry Christmas II You (2010)

What's your fave Mariah album, and why? And list how you'd rank her albums, and whats your thoughts on her body of work (Im only including compilation albums with at least 3 new songs).

003.jpg

My vote goes to Emotions hands down, NO contest, because its SO damn versitile, and damn near every track is single worthy in my opinion and it has (what I call) her best quality voice work and lyrics and backing music, I mean Emotions, Can't Let Go (possibly my fave song ever recorded by Mimi), Make it Happen, If It's Over, So Cold (the intro alone slays the fuck outta most of her later catalog), And You Don't Remember, To Be Around You, and So Blessed. I rate all those songs 5 stars, the rest like slightly below. But I just cant get enough of that album, I find it kind of sad that she took a risk like that with that album, and it didnt exactly pay off like it should've. As a whole, I make it no secret that I think Mariah's best work was before 1996 (with the exception of the song I Still Believe, and EOM). Like I know the ways she sings since she left Mottola is more of what she likes and is comfortable with, and that with him, he over worked her and didnt do her right, and treated her like a product, but the results in those pre 1996 albums spoke monsters for what she's capable of. And I REALLY wish she'd give me a album somewhat similar to the old school Mariah. Honestly I love EOM, but Im not a fan of "Hip hop Mariah" and tho its a good album and it worked for her, I think I'm 1 of the few people who are a fan of her catalog that dont have that album in my top 5, and then I feel like she kinda copied the styles and sounds with the later 2 albums, and the 2nd Christmas album......Oh Santa ma ass, Oh MARIAH..... :blink: So heres how I list the albums

(Dont feel like you HAVE to list every single album because you've listened to every song, if you havent, list em by the genre's, the singles the videos, just what you know, go for it)

1.Emotions

2.Mariah Carey

3.Music Box

4.Daydream

5.Merry Christmas

6.Emancipation Of mimi

7.Butterfly

8.Glitter

9.E=MC2

10.#1's

11.Rainbow

12.Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel

13.Merry Christmas II You

14.Charm Bracelet

Butterfly has long been my favourite Mariah album, I just think she went somewhere unexpected with that era.

We actually discussed her discography at length some time ago on here. I don't say that to take anything away from this thread - I say it because I can't find the original thread and I want to cut and paste my response from it. :lol:

Do any other members recall this? We discussed a whole bunch of artists, each with their own thread, but they all seem to have vanished. :unsure:

yea I think that psycho "meh" is the 1 who did it, I vaguely remember them, I was still somewhat new, and like with 98% of the time, I didnt want to be bothered with anything that had to do with him, I honestly forgot about it until like 5mins after I started this. But I hope that people who paticipated in that convo would still contribute to this, after all it is a new day lol.

You know what, (I've given this ALOT of thought) Butterfly for me is almost exactly where TVR is for me, wheres I respect the album, and lyrics and content and meanings more than I honestly enjoy the music. But I do know that is alot of Mariah fans hands down favorite album. I think for me it also had to do with thats when she started really doing that whisper voice, and it works on her (she & Janet are the only ones I like it from but I cant stand it when its 90% of the voice on their albums), and in general I dont care much for that tone on anybody...besides Janet, but even with her theres songs thats like "...you couldnt do a normal tone for this song?" lol So I'd say thats about 95% of my problem with Butterfly. But again I do have tremendous respect for the content and the lyrics, and I love alot of the videos from that era.

yea I think E=MC2 was underated, like on the 1 had it reminded me alot of EOM, but it did have some good songs that should've been singles (specifically For The Record) and some that I think shouldnt've been singles (Specifically I stay in love & Bye Bye....never really felt either song)

• Upvote 1

E=MC2 is one of moomoo's most fun and listenable albums. I can still play it now and like it a lot. I never really got into emancipation, it felt like a lot if smoke and mirrors, it was the illusion and the expectation that made people love it but in reality it's not that great. In fact, I preferred charm bracelet :coffee:

:wub:

Woo For The Record won me in those damn perfume commercials lol. But that chours is SICK. I also do have a love for I'll Be Loving You Long Time, I think that should've been the 1st single, or For The Record, and the 2nd single could've followed whichever. So what are your thoughts on the Emotions album because I very recently (like Augustish) proclaimed it my fave album of hers and what I consider her best work, but before that I didnt pay it too much attention...I dont even think her 1st 2 albums were even in my top 3, Music Box was my #1 for a good minute

Woo For The Record won me in those damn perfume commercials lol. But that chours is SICK. I also do have a love for I'll Be Loving You Long Time, I think that should've been the 1st single, or For The Record, and the 2nd single could've followed whichever. So what are your thoughts on the Emotions album because I very recently (like Augustish) proclaimed it my fave album of hers and what I consider her best work, but before that I didnt pay it too much attention...I dont even think her 1st 2 albums were even in my top 3, Music Box was my #1 for a good minute

Yeah, the chorus on 'FTR' is killer. I love it. I really do love Emotions as well. Honestly, the only real misstep I see in Mariah's catalog is Charmbracelet.

Yeah, the chorus on 'FTR' is killer. I love it. I really do love Emotions as well. Honestly, the only real misstep I see in Mariah's catalog is Charmbracelet.

Yea its #14 (really 15 if you include the unplugged album too) for a reason, like its sooo...........blah like she's so much better than that album, I honestly love the Glitter album a thousand times more than CB (Lead the way, All my Life, & her version of Didnt mean to turn you on SLAYS me). I do love the 2nd half of Bringing On The Heartbreak.

I love them all but Butterfly will always be my fav. Close My Eyes made me a Mariah fan.

Glitter gets a lot of bashing but that's because ppl let the movie cloud their judgement and never really gave that album a chance because if they did, they'd notice that it's a great album (even if she sounds like a feature there).

Rustybracelet has some freaking amazing gems, Yours,you had your chance, Clown, Irresistible, Bringin On The Heartbreak, You Got Me and I Only Wanted :wub: It just doesn't work as a whole album though.

Even though i like them, Rainbow followed by Memoirs and Rusty are still her weakest links.

Mariah's discography for some reason is overlooked and not talked as much but for me, when it comes to Pop female artists she has one of the best discographies out there

I love them all but Butterfly will always be my fav. Close My Eyes made me a Mariah fan.

Glitter gets a lot of bashing but that's because ppl let the movie cloud their judgement and never really gave that album a chance because if they did, they'd notice that it's a great album (even if she sounds like a feature there).

Rustybracelet has some freaking amazing gems, Yours,you had your chance, Clown, Irresistible, Bringin On The Heartbreak, You Got Me and I Only Wanted :wub: It just doesn't work as a whole album though.

Even though i like them, Rainbow followed by Memoirs and Rusty are still her weakest links.

Mariah's discography for some reason is overlooked and not talked as much but for me, when it comes to Pop female artists she has one of the best discographies out there

:clapping: Yea Glitter isnt by far her best, but I dont think it desserved the overwhelmingly harsh treatment it got, to be fair it was like you said mainly cause of the movie, and....it did come out Tuesday Sept. 11th 2001.....................didnt stand a fuckin chance) But if she released it as just an album and not a soundtrack and not on that day that year, I think it would've done better I like it alot more than Rainbow

:clapping: Woo I was waitin on somebody to say it, I know Memoirs gets love here (I seen it) but damn that album got the treatment I thought it desserved, and Rainbow to me is so goddamned overrated........dont even get me started (I do have a LOVVVVVVVE for Crybaby, and Thank God I found You (Make it last forever), and like 1 other but over all the album is so...eh.

And after listening to each and every album plus most of the remixes and b-sides and unreleased stuff, I honestly have to agree about her discography being 1 of the best out there, especially for women of her time, I'd put her RIGHT behind Janet in that.

:clapping: Yea Glitter isnt by far her best, but I dont think it desserved the overwhelmingly harsh treatment it got, to be fair it was like you said mainly cause of the movie, and....it did come out Tuesday Sept. 11th 2001.....................didnt stand a fuckin chance) But if she released it as just an album and not a soundtrack and not on that day that year, I think it would've done better I like it alot more than Rainbow

:clapping: Woo I was waitin on somebody to say it, I know Memoirs gets love here (I seen it) but damn that album got the treatment I thought it desserved, and Rainbow to me is so goddamned overrated........dont even get me started (I do have a LOVVVVVVVE for Crybaby, and Thank God I found You (Make it last forever), and like 1 other but over all the album is so...eh.

And after listening to each and every album plus most of the remixes and b-sides and unreleased stuff, I honestly have to agree about her discography being 1 of the best out there, especially for women of her time, I'd put her RIGHT behind Janet in that.

Oh yeah :lol: I forgot about that :lol: Everything was wrong during that era, the movie and specially the timing were horrible. Not to mention her breakdown

People don't really talk much about Rainbow because of Heartbreak, Bliss, Pearls and Against All Oods. The album was always going to sell with a huge single like heartbreaker though.

It's interesting how people are quick to say shit about glitter and charmbracelet but completely forget that Rainbow exists when talking about her discography. That to me says it all :lol:

Agreed.

It's epic *_* The lyrics, her voice, the way it builds ... EVERYTHING :wub: :wub: :wub:

Ever heard the bonus track?

:wub:

Yea I LOVE the way it builds, thats honestly what I miss about Janets music, I wish she'd have a HOTTT climax in more of her slow songs (not to say or imply she doesn't or hasn't), I LOVE a good bridge and I love when a ballad or groove song has a ho, Hott ass climax that 1st listen you dont expect, Mariah's music is pretty good at that, like that does not get old for me. The Butterfly climax tho.......I think that tops em all lol, cause the song was so damn whispery and (in my opinion) boringish, but then its like she snaps out of it and tears that song the fuck up with that bridge. My fave MC bridges are, as I said Butterfly, If its over (OMG LOVE THAT SONG), And You Dont Remember, Anytime You Need A Friend, & Fly like a bird.

You know what I heard that before but it didnt stick to me @ 1st listen, Im groovin to it right now tho

I own Emotions, Music Box, Daydream, Butterfly, Rainbow, and The Emancipation of Mimi, but I haven't listened to all of her music. She has way too many ballads and lovesick songs, but her voice and song variety make up for it. :)

She has a very STRONG discography. I'm torn between what's my fave album from her. "Daydream" and "TEOM" are in contention as my faves. I love "Daydream" because I remember buying the cd when I joined the military and was in love. "Melt Away" and "Underneath The Stars" are my faves from that cd. :wub:

Right now I am in the mood to say Vision Of Love is Mariah's best song. But if you ask me next week, you'll probably get a different response. :lol:

I love, love this song.

And I do believe she's a superb vocalist. This video alone shows you her full vocal arsenal.

If you listen really carefully, you would think Mariah is four different persons doing the harmonies. She shifts from chest to whisper to head register in just a snap. Amazing.

She has a great catalog but my problem with her material is that alot of her albums mirror one another imo. They're like interchangeable. You can name one Mariah album and can easily name another Mariah album that sounds similar. So with that said..its hard to say which I consider to be her "best". :lol:

I've always had a thing for "Glitter" maybe because I'm so in love with 80s music. TEOM is hott....