• The Bodyguard
    • Waiting To Exhale
    • The Preachers Wife
    • My Love Is Your Love
    • Just Whitney
    • One Wish
    • I Look To You

001-2.jpg

Whats your fave Whitney album, why and how do you rank them based on the albums or the singles, or videos.

(and Waititng To Exhale ONLY got in here because it has to have at least 3 songs by the artist in question....and it does. lol. But its all good.

With Whitney, Im Your Baby Tonight takes the win. I think its her most solid album and her voice was still THE VOICE. I mean even her unreleased songs and B-sides slayed most with that era. I mean I belong to you, I'm Your Baby Tonight, All The Man, My Name Is Not Susan, Miricle, Higher Love, Lover for life, and then that duet with Stevie WE DIDNT KNOW, COME ON!!! that album was a force and too underrated.

How I rank my Whitney albums is,

1. I'm Your Baby Tonight

2. The Bodyguard

3. Whitney

4. Whitney Houston

5. The Preachers Wife

6. Waititng To Exhale

7. My Love Is Your Love

8. I Look To You

9. Just Whitney

10. One Wish

Your turn

I've never heard a full Whitney album in my life..or even half of one so I cant even pretend to try to rank shit. :lol: Let's just say when I was growing up..I was more intrigued by "entertainers". "REAL" sangers bored me .. I always repected her but she was just never my kind of artist. I started to appreiciate her the older I got.

The only album I listened to fully was I'm Your baby tonight, and it's pretty stale outside of the singles. I've always thought that My Name Is Not Susan was a weak single, but there was no other single-worthy songs on the album. But Who Do You Love and I'm takin a chance >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yea I'll say over all Whitne def wasnt (sidenote....I put isnt at 1st and then got a lil sad when I realized I have to use wasnt from now on) a strong albums artist, even at her best. Like even with I'm Your Baby Tonight being my fave album by her....theres still some tracks on there that I dont like or forget even exist, unlike Janet (ofcourse) and Mariah for me.

My Love is Your Love is her best album, imo. But I Look To You, even though it's shaded so much, deserves a rank in her best. The album, the song, the video, all were so fresh and vibrant, I felt classic Whitney returning to us. I got such a huge wave of nostalgia, back to when I first became a fan in the late 90s/early 00s, when I saw the video and even more when I heard the album. So trademark and renewing from "Million Dollar Bill" all the way through "Salute". It gave me a feeling of her debut mixed with a little Just Whitney which made me love it all the more. I can't help but dream of what it would have been like if she really wrote her own music. I know she had the capability, just needed the chance, and I will always hate Clive for refusing her that wish. But I can still dream. Anywho, ranking the albums in order, for me:

My Love Is Your Love

The Bodyguard

I Look to You

I'm Your Baby Tonight

Whitney Houston

Whitney

Just Whitney

Waiting to Exhale

One Wish

The Preacher's Wife

Much of Nippy's earlier material was corny. Lets call a spade a spade. Everyone agreed she could sing, but a lot of folks felt her gift was wasted on her earlier albums, especially critics. Her best albums are IYBT, The Bodyguard and MLIYL. MLIYL is her most cohesive work, and it really found that balance of pop star and soul singer that I think she wanted to be from day one.

My favorite would actually be The Preacher's Wife soundtrack especially because it was something a little different for her. Gospel just suited her really well. As far as performances go, "Amazing Grace" in South Africa is one of my personal favorites.

My ranking (and as a bonus, my favorite track from each)...

1. The Preacher's Wife ("I Believe In You and Me")

2. I'm Your Baby Tonight ("I'm Your Baby Tonight")

3. My Love Is Your Love ("Heartbreak Hotel")

4. The Bodyguard ("I'm Every Woman")

5. Whitney Houston ("You Give Good Love")

6. Whitney ("I Wanna Dance With Somebody")

7. Just Whitney ("One of Those Days")

8. I Look To You ("Million Dollar Bill")

Personally I don't really count Waiting To Exhale since she only did 3 songs. It's my favorite R&B soundtrack though.

My Love is Your Love is her best album, imo. But I Look To You, even though it's shaded so much, deserves a rank in her best. The album, the song, the video, all were so fresh and vibrant, I felt classic Whitney returning to us. I got such a huge wave of nostalgia, back to when I first became a fan in the late 90s/early 00s, when I saw the video and even more when I heard the album. So trademark and renewing from "Million Dollar Bill" all the way through "Salute". It gave me a feeling of her debut mixed with a little Just Whitney which made me love it all the more. I can't help but dream of what it would have been like if she really wrote her own music. I know she had the capability, just needed the chance, and I will always hate Clive for refusing her that wish. But I can still dream. Anywho, ranking the albums in order, for me:

My Love Is Your Love

The Bodyguard

I Look to You

I'm Your Baby Tonight

Whitney Houston

Whitney

Just Whitney

Waiting to Exhale

One Wish

The Preacher's Wife

I depised I Look To You because she talked thru most of the songs and the drug use fucked up her speech. She had that drug lisp and that annoys the hell out of me. You can really hear it during the interview with Oprah and it sounded the same when she sung...

You know what, I was thinking about it in the car, I dont have a SINGLE fave Whitney song, its impossible (same for Janet, Michael, Mariah & Prince). for all of them I have to have multiple fave songs. For Whitney my fave songs are

Run To you, All The Man, Saving All My Love, Im your baby tonight, Didnt we almost have it all, I have Nothing, Impossible, Queen of the night, I wanna dance with somebody, Love will save the day, How Will I know, and ofcourse I will always love you.

For the Retha haters, whatevs, This song still slays and they both killed it (ofcourse its undenyable that Whitney stole the motha fuckin song from Rere)

Now that she passed away, I think they need to release the full version of the Run To You video, cause I could watch her in her angel get up 24/7

And heres the rare version of the song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU-KQIektm0

My Love Is Your Love....every track is a stand out to me. A very well crafted and modern sounding album, love it!

Idk, and this is probably the same problem I had with Janet, but I struggle to get into the contemporary R&B Whitney sound that defines the album.

^I find Run to You so bland. It was cute for the movie but not much else...

LOL, for me I always enjoyed it almost more than I did most of the songs on The Bodyguard cause I can just feel her everything put in that song and when THAT FUCKING BUILD UP BEFORE THE CHOURS LOL. If Im playing it on my headphones and Im walking, I have to stop for that lol. that song and All The Man are my fave chorus build ups that, that "HE FEELS ME UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP" WOOO gives me fuckin life and chills lol. both songs.

You know what, I honestly felt that way about My Love Is Your Love (the song and album), like I just never thought there was anything that great about that album and song, like I know and always knew it was a fan favorite but it just...........idk it never caught me lol. A few songs Definitely (HeartBreakHotel, Its not right, I learned from the best, I was made to love him, Oh yes, and a few more) but the album never did much for me as a whole. But i predict/predict that itd beat out the rest, its always been the fan favorite.

This version of My name is not susan fits her voice more than the album version in my opinion. This is hot

I genuinely love 75% of her work, but My Love Is Your Love stands tall above the rest for me. Every track had such rich personality and sheen, and the whole record just drips with class. I also think it's a record that will age very respectfully. Most of it sounds as mature and sophisticated as it did 14 years ago.

My ranking of her studio albums:

1 - My Love Is Your Love

2 - I'm Your Baby Tonight

3 - Whitney Houston

4 - Whitney

5 - I Look To You

6 - Just Whitney...

You know what I've been giving it alot of thought since I made this, about why I really cant and never could really get into My Love is Your Love... more than ANY reason (and theres a few), its definitely the vocals, like yes she wasnt at her worst, but it was really the start in her singing style completely changing and even when I was a kid (I was a mega Whitney stan) I just couldnt explain it but it was like "that aint ma Whitney Im hearing on these songs" lol. I think thats why IYBT always was my #1 cause tho the songs themselves arent lyrically that great (I cant say shit about the background music, Im a late 80's early 90's kinda guy in the music department so..) but she had THAT VOICE over them lyrics. And for me she didnt have THAT voice for MLIYL, if she did maybe I'd be with you all and the Whitney stans lol.

You know what I've been giving it alot of thought since I made this, about why I really cant and never could really get into My Love is Your Love... more than ANY reason (and theres a few), its definitely the vocals, like yes she wasnt at her worst, but it was really the start in her singing style completely changing and even when I was a kid (I was a mega Whitney stan) I just couldnt explain it but it was like "that aint ma Whitney Im hearing on these songs" lol. I think thats why IYBT always was my #1 cause tho the songs themselves arent lyrically that great (I cant say shit about the background music, Im a late 80's early 90's kinda guy in the music department so..) but she had THAT VOICE over them lyrics. And for me she didnt have THAT voice for MLIYL, if she did maybe I'd be with you all and the Whitney stans lol.

I love MLIYL but I see where you're coming from. The drug use was already doing damage by 1998. You can clearly hear the change in her tone on MLIYL, and the raspy quality was already setting in. However, I think people gravitate towards that record because of the soulfulness of the tracks and her singing style. Like i said earlier, people knew Whitney was soulful from her live performances, but her earlier material was corny.

I love MLIYL but I see where you're coming from. The drug use was already doing damage by 1998. You can clearly hear the change in her tone on MLIYL, and the raspy quality was already setting in. However, I think people gravitate towards that record because of the soulfulness of the tracks and her singing style. Like i said earlier, people knew Whitney was soulful from her live performances, but her earlier material was corny.

I agree with that for the 1st 2 albums, to me thats what put IYBT in a whole nother level, its when she got more urban, and she had more mid tempos with that album (which I guess set the scene for MLIYL).

Archived