The Janet Jackson Praise Thread

Mr. Wonder

• 7 months later...

Michael K. Williams Has a Story You Need to Read to Believe

The Emmy-nominated actor from The Night Ofon The WireStar Wars, and how Janet Jackson changed his life.

In that case, it makes sense that Williams’s artistic awakening came courtesy of Janet Jackson.

In 1989, while in his early 20s, Williams had seemingly righted his career path. He had gotten the drug addiction that derailed his teens under control, and had a stable job managing blueprints for Pfizer Pharmaceuticals. Then he saw the music video for Jackson’s “Rhythm Nation.”

“My spirit was stirred by the visual images that were shown . . . different people, some tall, some short, male, female, light-skinned, dark-skinned,” Williams told NPR last year. “It wasn’t just everybody was pretty with perfect teeth. You saw some jagged edges . . . and when they all came together, they moved like one.”

“The message of the song—about getting rid of color lines, not judging—I just identified with it across the board, and I was like, ‘I want to become a Janet Jackson background dancer,’” Williams has said. “‘I think she will understand me.’”

Williams quit his job managing someone else’s blueprints, and started drawing his own. He fired up his VHS player, recorded all of Jackson’s music videos, and watched them until he learned how to count steps. He calls himself “a hack,” but he mined a seven-year career dancing in music videos and on tours for Madonna,Missy Elliott, Crystal Waters, andGinuwine.

The informal education did have one early drawback: “A friend of mine challenged me to a Janet Jackson dance competition, and I made a complete ass out of myself because up until that moment I’d watch her, and I’d go the exact same way with her as the television,” he laughs. “When you’re dancing with her, you’ve got to go theopposite of the fucking TV.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/08/michael-k-williams-emmy-interview

• Upvote 4

Introducing Tom Aspaul:

”My favourite artist of all time has to be Janet Jackson. I was introduced to her by my next door neighbour growing up in Wednesfield – she used to play her songs in the back garden. I loved her vocal harmonies and melodies and the fact that she managed to carve her own career out of her brother’s shadow“
Read more at https://www.expressandstar.com/entertainment/2017/08/25/unsigned-wolverhampton-singer-tom-aspaul-writes-for-kylie/#AsXwWZAI7ykqigvu.99

Since ya'll can't seem to put things in the proper thread. :sigh: 

• Upvote 2

http://www.albumism.com/polls/what-is-your-favorite-janet-jackson-album

Many thanks to everyone who recently voted for their favorite Janet Jackson album as part of Albumism’s readers’ poll series! Check out the consensus Top 5 below, and stay tuned for our next readers’ poll coming soon.

Albumism Readers’ Poll Results:

Albumism_JanetJackson_Top5.jpg

1. The Velvet Rope (1997) (371 votes)
2. Janet Jackson’s Rhythm Nation 1814 (1989) (257)
3. janet. (1993) (205)
4. Control (1986) (139)
5. All for You (2001) (51)

Voting Breakdown:

Albumism_ReadersPoll_Results_JanetJackson_Chart.png

Other Albums Receiving Votes:

Damita Jo (2004) (40 votes)
Unbreakable (2015) (35)
Janet Jackson (1982) (11)
20 Y.O. (2006) (4)
Discipline (2008) (4)
Dream Street (1984) (1)

EXPLORE Janet Jackson’s discography via Amazon | iTunes

READ MORE About Janet Jackson here

VIEW Previous Readers’ Polls here

• Upvote 2

Honored to receive the same award as my idol, @janetjackson!!! Anyone that follows me knows I STAN for her. I chose this look because of Janet's mindfulness of making a statement. My ups and downs have been publicized since 15 and "underrated" was the word I chose to sum up how often all the work I put in is overlooked. Nothing personal just something for me to know I'm headed in the right direction!! I named my first album "VII" because my mom always talked about it as the number of completion, and with my career, it took 7 years of working my ass off to finally get my album out and have people take me serious as as a artist, a woman You can add, It's so easy for others to judge and criticize when they really don't understand the journey. One who hasn't experienced it, could never really understand the emotional roller coaster of an Artist that's so passionate about their work. That's why I continuously strive to go harder everyday. So I just want to give a HUGE thank you to the @vmas, as well as my supporters #TeamTeyana #NeutchNation who have been loyal to me since day 1! I Love you Guys Dearly! 2764.png❤️2764.png❤️

• Upvote 5

What a fantastic and appropriate ranking, the top 3 is the rightful top 3 no matter the order its understandable, the rest of the rankings could be arranged better but opinions are opinions and this is over 1k

Damita Jo higher than Unbreakable confuses me a little but the rest feels somewhat accurate.

Edited by vibeology
  • Upvote 3

Michael K. Williams Has a Story You Need to Read to Believe

The Emmy-nominated actor from The Night Ofon The WireStar Wars, and how Janet Jackson changed his life.

In that case, it makes sense that Williams’s artistic awakening came courtesy of Janet Jackson.

In 1989, while in his early 20s, Williams had seemingly righted his career path. He had gotten the drug addiction that derailed his teens under control, and had a stable job managing blueprints for Pfizer Pharmaceuticals. Then he saw the music video for Jackson’s “Rhythm Nation.”

“My spirit was stirred by the visual images that were shown . . . different people, some tall, some short, male, female, light-skinned, dark-skinned,” Williams told NPR last year. “It wasn’t just everybody was pretty with perfect teeth. You saw some jagged edges . . . and when they all came together, they moved like one.”

“The message of the song—about getting rid of color lines, not judging—I just identified with it across the board, and I was like, ‘I want to become a Janet Jackson background dancer,’” Williams has said. “‘I think she will understand me.’”

Williams quit his job managing someone else’s blueprints, and started drawing his own. He fired up his VHS player, recorded all of Jackson’s music videos, and watched them until he learned how to count steps. He calls himself “a hack,” but he mined a seven-year career dancing in music videos and on tours for Madonna,Missy Elliott, Crystal Waters, andGinuwine.

The informal education did have one early drawback: “A friend of mine challenged me to a Janet Jackson dance competition, and I made a complete ass out of myself because up until that moment I’d watch her, and I’d go the exact same way with her as the television,” he laughs. “When you’re dancing with her, you’ve got to go theopposite of the fucking TV.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/08/michael-k-williams-emmy-interview

He reps Janet all the time hopefully he can be in one of her videos this era. He's a great actor 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...