• Born To Sing (1990)
    • Funky Divas (1992)
    • Runaway Love EP (1993)
    • EV3 (1997)
    • Masterpiece Theatre (2000)
    • The Gift Of Christmas (2001)
    • Soulflower (2004)

164185_195074050504859_100000067974977_752076_6310465_n.jpg

This brings me great joy, En Vogue is my Janet of groups. The versatility, the dancing, the stage presence, the voices and the harmony's, no other singing group for me compares, at all. 1st off did you guys know that EVERY member of the group is/was capable of Whistle register? (Terry & Dawn are the only 2 who can still do it that I know of). They all have extremely strong and versatile voices, Terry has 5 octaves, the other 3 have 4. And A.N.D!!!! They all were fucking lead singers, and sing lead on songs, and share the leads. What more can you ask for from a group? I didnt discover their brilliance till...05 when they reunited with Salt N Pepa for Whatta Man, and then I liked them but kinda fell off until 08 when I got a greatest hits album and realized, they were the group of my dreams, and so I got all the albums and studied them and the greatness.So let's break it down

Born to sing, VERY strong debut, and very strong R&B debut, like they were the 1st of the girl groups to start the trends. I mean Hold On BLEW UP, then Lies and You dont have to worry all went to #1's on the R&B charts, then on the album besides the awesome singles, they had REALLY great album tracks, like strange, Part Of Me, and the VERY Janet-esque sexy Waitin on you. Just a very solid album. And they together wrote alot of it.

THEN.....FUNKY DIVAS, they showed that they werent just a R&B group, Funky Diva's showed they could slay pop music as well. NO filler exists on this album. The single choices were just brilliant Never Gonna Get it was a pop & R&B smash and just such a energetic song, and that BREAKDOWN. Then you also got Giving Him Something He Can Feel, and Dawn put it ON ME with them vocals in that song, it remains (even with the Sparkle remake, I was there for the performance of the new version) my fave version of the song. And then FREE YO MUTHA FUCKIN MIND, the song and video slays my life so hard, and I love the routine when they perform it live. Then you got that sexy Give It Up Turn it loose video and lead by the sultry Maxine, mmmm I love that song and video. Then you got Love Dont Love You which shuts the house DOWN when they perform it live, and it should've had a video. And then the album tracks, IF YOU'VE NEVER HEARD THE SONG DESIRE.....LISTEN TO IT NOW, that song slays so effortlessly with the mix of African, Spanish, & R&B style, that song is just plain brilliant. Then you got Hooked On Your Love, another Sparkle remake that they slayed with Terry on lead. It goes without saying after all of that, that this is my fave album & era for them.

The Runaway Love EP, Runaway love is 1 of the closest songs and video's that gives me "Thats The Way Love Goes", it's such a jam and so damn sexy and smooth, yet you can dance to it. And Whatta Man, BRILLIANT song and merge between the 2 iconic groups. And I prefer the What Is Love Remix thats on here.

EV3. The last album with Dawn (which most people dont know past Don't Let Go), but EVERY song on the album, was recorded by the 4 except "Does Anybody Hear Me". They just took Dawns leads out and any of the 3 replaced them. VERY underrated album, in every way, I mean again they prove they arent just R&B, they still do pop songs like Whatever and What A Difference A Day makes. And then ofcourse the hot R&B tracks. Dont Let Go, SOOOO EPIC, DAWN AND THE HARMONIES, and then Max, Cindy, & Terry's solo's after Dawns 2nd verse, just a perfect song and video. Whatever, is beyond underrated, the song and video were both ahead of it's time, and shows their creativity and originality, ESPECIALLY the video, honestly when I hear Janet's song YOU, I picture pretty much that video in every scene and outfit change with it. Too Gone TOO LONG, such an amazing song, Terry takes CHARGE of that song (which was originally supposed to be Dawns part). Then the album tracks, Damn I wanna Be Your Lover, is so fucking epic and demanding. Terry really showed OUT on that song. And then you got that track Let it flow, really good song. Really solid album, but if Dawn was still there, itd be perect

Then you Got Masterpiece Theater also very underrated, and missing Dawn, but still REALLLY strong album. RIDDLE IS SUCH A STRONG SONG AND VIDEO, and with the right promo could've/should've been #1. But the album got NO promo,or support and it was only their 4th studio album. Anyways the standout tracks were NoNoNo(cant comeback), SAD BUT TRUE OMG LOVE THAT SONG SO ERIE Cindy's vocals slay it. Then you have what I call Maxines exit song, Love Wont Let Me Out, and Work It Out was good too.

The Gift Of Christmas. During this era Maxine left to be a good mom, and they replaced her.....with a singer named Amanda Cole....who was a horrible fit look wise, because tho Cindy & Terry look BEAUTIFUL, Amanda was in her early 20s and you can see it, they hardly knew her and she hardly knew them. But vocally they sounded great in the harmony's as usual. This is maybe 1 of my fave full christmas albums, I love My Christmas, and I love their version of Thats What Christmas means To Me, and I like still they had pop & rock songs with the classic R&B.

Then you have their last studio album Soulflower, by this point Amanda left the group to go for a non-existent solo career, and they replaced her with Rhona Bennett from The Mickey Mouse Club, and she was also a actress and had a solo album herself. And she was a MUCH better fit, lookwise and sound wise, her voice had the versitility needed for the group. and the album is really great, they wrote majority of the songs. I LOVE their remake of "I DO LOVE YOU" Thats ma jam. Also I LOVE Ooo Boy, it's got that really great sound. And I love Losin my mind.

Then shortly after this era Maxine came back, and Dawn came back to perform at the Hip Hop Honors and like 2 performances after that. Then Rhona replaced her and they were a foursome again. THEN Dawn came back again cause Rhona wanted to try her solo career again, and they went on a 3 year 20th Anniversary tour (which I saw live twice) and they KILLED, and then they had to sign that SHITTY deal with Ruff Town, which Dawn (rightfully) didnt agree to, so she left again. And now they're a trio again, and in lingo, cause Ruff town isnt putting out the album or the singles nor are they making videos or paying for promo. THOSE ARE MA GIRLS but they need to get it together, cause they desserve a comeback more than any girl group still out. All 4 original members are still alive, still look good and can still vocally SLAHAY.

Anyway, my ranking goes.

1.Funky Divas

2.EV3

4.Runaway Love

5.Born To SLAY

6.Masterpiece Theatre

7.The Gift Of Christmas

• Upvote 1

My 2nd favorite girl group (after TLC), and my favorite group vocally! I definitely love that the members got an equal opportunity to shine, plus they're all really beautiful (Everybody seemed to crush on Dawn, but I always fancied Terry personally ^_^).

My favorite album is Funky Divas for sure; very solid from start to finish. "My Lovin' (Never Gonna Get It)" is one of my all-time favorite songs; it's a classic. I was only 5 but I remember just where I was when I heard it, and fell in love with it instantly. The rock-tinged "Free Your Mind," "Hip Hop Lover," "Giving Him Something...," "Give It Up...," "Yesterday," and "What Is Love" were also highlights for me. (Terry is hilarious. :lol: I use "or something of the sort" and "this ain't show me diddly" from "What It's Love" sometimes lol)

Their first Best of was where I first started though. I must've played it hundreds of times. Although it's missing "You Don't Have To Worry" and "Don't Go," it's one of my favorite hits collection.

I always really loved the concept behind Masterpiece Theater; how they incorporated classical works into it. "Riddle" was a great lead single still has elements of classic En Vogue. I also enjoyed "Falling In Love," "Beat of Love," and "Those Dogs."

I haven't fully listened to any albums after that, but I really liked "Ooh Boy" from Soulflower though.

• Upvote 1

My 2nd favorite girl group (after TLC), and my favorite group vocally! I definitely love that the members got an equal opportunity to shine, plus they're all really beautiful (Everybody seemed to crush on Dawn, but I always fancied Terry personally ^_^).

My favorite album is Funky Divas for sure; very solid from start to finish. "My Lovin' (Never Gonna Get It)" is one of my all-time favorite songs; it's a classic. I was only 5 but I remember just where I was when I heard it, and fell in love with it instantly. The rock-tinged "Free Your Mind," "Hip Hop Lover," "Giving Him Something...," "Give It Up...," "Yesterday," and "What Is Love" were also highlights for me. (Terry is hilarious. :lol: I use "or something of the sort" and "this ain't show me diddly" from "What It's Love" sometimes lol)

Their first Best of was where I first started though. I must've played it hundreds of times. Although it's missing "You Don't Have To Worry" and "Don't Go," it's one of my favorite hits collection.

I always really loved the concept behind Masterpiece Theater; how they incorporated classical works into it. "Riddle" was a great lead single still has elements of classic En Vogue. I also enjoyed "Falling In Love," "Beat of Love," and "Those Dogs."

I haven't fully listened to any albums after that, but I really liked "Ooh Boy" from Soulflower though.

Yea as far as groups are concerned they're pretty much tied (EV is litle more of a fave like by a inch) with TLC. YES TERRY WAS ALWAYS THE FUNNY 1, and I always ALWAYS enjoyed her most in interviews, tho I really enjoy all 4 of them (and I love that they fuckin talk in harmony lol, who ELSE LOL)

Oh and Dawn gave the fulllll truth about what had happend with the group, like pretty much what went wrong....I said it once and I'll say it again.....Dawn was the smartest 1 lol, why the hell wont they put her in charge of their business? She should be they damn manager lol, she knows her shit and apparently always has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74t_VmN8Zic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdivTEixk_M

Is this the same group that disbanded because they couldn't decide who was the lead singer, and continued to record music throughout the years despite replacing members several times? :unsure:

Nope, wrong group. :coffee: This group was all lead singers

Then what caused the problem between Dawn and Terry, and caused Dawn's consequent departure from the group? :unsure:

Um where are you getting this from? Dawn left because management sucked, she says it, the other 3 have said it (that she had disagreements with the label to be specific). But Dawn & Terry always had a competition thing, and Dawn said it was never serious or mean spirited. It sounds like the "Mel B made Geri leave the Spice Girls" thing, when both cases arent true (according to all the members) there is/was just tension between the 2 because their voices are so similar, but Terry has also said that made them the closest for better or worst. I recommend the Dawn interview posted above, very informative about all the drama, and loaded with specifics and details.

And they continued to replace members? That's not "a group".

LOFL Um how? Kicking members out without telling them is something that qualifies as "not a grop", but members leaving because of financial reasons, and another because she wanted to take care of her family is completely acceptable for grown women. But filling the spots so they can tour and record is fine, and happens all the time, kicking members out and replacing them without them knowing however.......not that common in major groups. So on the issue of "real groups" lets not, this is about the music, but DC, and all that booting out is way too easy.

One of my fav '90s acts. They form part of an elite handful of female groups who just ooze class and sophistication, and that definitely drew me in right from the start. 'Hold On' was the perfect introduction to En Vogue and what lay ahead on their debut album. Mature and sleek production layered with the girls' air-tight harmonies and just a hint of attitude. Born To Sing is a little safe for my taste, but respectable nonetheless.

The real magic starts with Funky Divas, and when compared to its predecessor, I think it's clear why it packs such a punch. The girls just felt hungry on that record, like they had everything to prove. The singles in particular were flawless. 'Free Your Mind' for its message, its grit, and its ferocity (and wicked cowbell!), 'Giving Him Something' for its pure En Vogue-ness, and 'My Lovin'', which is a masterclass in sass. Those girls KILLED that breakdown, and it's still shitting on girl groups twenty years later. They also nailed one of the greatest duets of the decade in 'Whatta Man'. And I say 'duet' rather than 'collaboration' because it's a true representation of the word, in that it allowed both EV and SNP to shine equally. I can still recite that track line-for-line.

Because the girls were strictly '90s (despite their best efforts in the new millennium), it's interesting to look back and track their growth through the decade. By the time EV3 surfaced they were suddenly grown women as opposed to the young upstarts we'd gotten to know. And one need not look any further than the sheer brilliance that is 'Don't Let Go (Love)' to notice their newfound grown-and-sexy. The song plays like a mini rock opera, unfolding and peaking at all the right moments - every ad-lib sparkles. Quite simply, it's one of my top ten songs of the '90s. It's a shame the accompanying album didn't follow suit, but in fairness it was a pretty tough ask. That's not to say there weren't moments of greatness, though, because I think EV3 offered some of their best singles. Babyface's production on 'Whatever' is killer; that little buzzing fly noise throughout is so effective, and again with the ad-libs! 'Too Gone, Too Long' is one of Diane Warren's lesser loved gems, and the melodrama and determination of 'Damn I Wanna Be Your Lover' is easily their best single that never was. I've always loved the funk of 'Let It Flow', too. :wub:

The less said about Disasterpiece Theatre the better. I admire the concept, but when you really think about it I don't think it was ever going to work. The result is just too mish-mashed for my liking. The one saving grace is the Stargate remix of 'Riddle', which is a personal fav of mine. Sorry to say but the rest gets no love from me. -_-

Partly due to never having a desire to do so, I never got around to listening to Soul Flower, so I can't comment on that one.

Like so many others, I guess En Vogue still resonates with me for the nostalgia and the talent. It's a shame they weren't able to weather their storm, but I'm grateful for what they left behind.

My ranking:

1. Funky Divas

2. EV3

3. Born To Sing

4. Runaway Love

5. Masterpiece Theatre

• Upvote 2

Probably my second fave girl group..all the girls got some shine and sang lead.

I voted for "Funky Divas"..

I loved EV3 and I hated "Masterpiece Theater"..the concept was cute, but it wasn't good. I loved "Riddle" though..and I loved how they always led with a funky single from the album.

One of my fav '90s acts. They form part of an elite handful of female groups who just ooze class and sophistication, and that definitely drew me in right from the start. 'Hold On' was the perfect introduction to En Vogue and what lay ahead on their debut album. Mature and sleek production layered with the girls' air-tight harmonies and just a hint of attitude. Born To Sing is a little safe for my taste, but respectable nonetheless.

The real magic starts with Funky Divas, and when compared to its predecessor, I think it's clear why it packs such a punch. The girls just felt hungry on that record, like they had everything to prove. The singles in particular were flawless. 'Free Your Mind' for its message, its grit, and its ferocity (and wicked cowbell!), 'Giving Him Something' for its pure En Vogue-ness, and 'My Lovin'', which is a masterclass in sass. Those girls KILLED that breakdown, and it's still shitting on girl groups twenty years later. They also nailed one of the greatest duets of the decade in 'Whatta Man'. And I say 'duet' rather than 'collaboration' because it's a true representation of the word, in that it allowed both EV and SNP to shine equally. I can still recite that track line-for-line.

Because the girls were strictly '90s (despite their best efforts in the new millennium), it's interesting to look back and track their growth through the decade. By the time EV3 surfaced they were suddenly grown women as opposed to the young upstarts we'd gotten to know. And one need not look any further than the sheer brilliance that is 'Don't Let Go (Love)' to notice their newfound grown-and-sexy. The song plays like a mini rock opera, unfolding and peaking at all the right moments - every ad-lib sparkles. Quite simply, it's one of my top ten songs of the '90s. It's a shame the accompanying album didn't follow suit, but in fairness it was a pretty tough ask. That's not to say there weren't moments of greatness, though, because I think EV3 offered some of their best singles. Babyface's production on 'Whatever' is killer; that little buzzing fly noise throughout is so effective, and again with the ad-libs! 'Too Gone, Too Long' is one of Diane Warren's lesser loved gems, and the melodrama and determination of 'Damn I Wanna Be Your Lover' is easily their best single that never was. I've always loved the funk of 'Let It Flow', too. :wub:

The less said about Disasterpiece Theatre the better. I admire the concept, but when you really think about it I don't think it was ever going to work. The result is just too mish-mashed for my liking. The one saving grace is the Stargate remix of 'Riddle', which is a personal fav of mine. Sorry to say but the rest gets no love from me. -_-

Partly due to never having a desire to do so, I never got around to listening to Soul Flower, so I can't comment on that one.

Like so many others, I guess En Vogue still resonates with me for the nostalgia and the talent. It's a shame they weren't able to weather their storm, but I'm grateful for what they left behind.

My ranking:

1. Funky Divas

2. EV3

3. Born To Sing

4. Runaway Love

5. Masterpiece Theatre

:clapping: :clapping: LOVES IT. And I LOVE how you put it about Funky Divas, FUCK YES!!! Good gawd found no lies in that. And you KNOW you nailed it with Damn I Wanna Be Your Lover, hell I'll go as far to say, that would've made a really great followup to Dont Let Go, because they're pretty similar (not lyric wise) but it would've been a brilliant single & video. And I can honestly see how people dont like Masterpiece Theatre, I mean I love it, but it's like "I get it" lol. But yes I think everyone will agree that Riddle nailed it and should've been bigger than it was. And I love that when Dawn came back to the group, they even squeezed her in it, and it was great, like it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khwHjakGfhs (all 3 of them were fierce as hell, but to me TERRY was fuckin that camera lol, she was giving me HOTTTNESS in this video)

And heres the 4 of them in 2010, and how they squeezed Dawn a part in the song, I love that.

My ranking:

1. Funky Divas

2. EV3

3. Born To Sing

4. Runaway Love

5. Masterpiece Theatre

i have to say DITTO to everything above

I have been a fan of EV since the early 90s. I was a huge Dawn fan waaaaay back when.

As far as their albums go, I play the EV3 album alot more. it just sticks out to me. with that said, I like their singles more than most of the other songs off their albums. There is one song that i was obsessed with called Desire from the Funky Divas album....i think that song would kick ass now if they were to release it

and i know most people didnt like I'll Cry Later, but i loved that song, especially the chorus. too bad they took the song off the net