• Control (1986)
    • Rhythm Nation 1814 (1989)
    • janet. (1993)
    • The Velvet Rope (1997)
    • All For You (2001)
    • Damita Jo (2004)
    • 20 Y.O. (2006)
    • Discipline (2008)

TwistedElegance's story is almost identical to mine with only 2 exceptions. I discovered Janet during IF's release. Secondly DJ felt like a slight recovery from AFY - and album which for the most part I could tell was good, but I just couldn't connect. I think a lot of it is to do with the flow. The middle just brings the album down. AFY does have some of my fave Janet songs on it though.

It's hard for me to remember when I actually became a Janet fan - because ever since I was born she was always...there, everywhere. That's why I can't fathom why she's not big in the UK right now and almost forgotten because she was EVERYWHERE in the 90s. All over the radio, tv, etc.

1. The Velvet Rope - Empty

* This is the first album I remember listening to constantly, because it is so personal and there are so many message throughout it, with each listen, you take something else from it. It's so off track, so different from what released at that time, and a HUGE surprise from her. It wasn't full of lifeless and meaningless love songs, each track has it's own personality and journey. The Velvet Rope is Janet's masterpiece, a triumphant and soul stirring work of art!!

2. Rhythm Nation 1814 - Come Back To Me

* Rhythm Nation wins because of it's iconic imagery, ground breaking sound/music videos, and the live tour, which translate extremely well when played in concert. This is the album that made me fall in love with dance and choreography, which is pretty ironic since my favorite tracks are the last three - all ballads. But whatever vision Janet and her team set out to create, it worked wonderfully.

3. janet. - 70's Love Groove

* This is an album that gets better with time. Janet got FUNKY, DOWN, and DIRTY. I could play any track from this album and it instantly puts a smile on my face. The sensuality works because she's not being filthy or crude, there's a curiousity, innocence, and playful manner with how she works it. This album makes me want to dance, relax on the beach, make passionate love, and dance some more.

4. Damita Jo - Moist

* Damita Jo's appeal to me is that it's the "janet." album, except it's more emphasis on lust rather than romantic love. Sex has already been a constant theme in much of Janet's music, but it seemed as if she was sharing her sexual rennaisance and newfound joy of intercourse. She puts it out there, with absolutely no boundaries or filter, which is a pretty bold move, considering we live in a world where the majority are so conservative about sex. But Janet explores her sex-positivity and yes, the album is incoherent, long, and slightly erratic, but there's no better way she could have delivered it.

5. All For You - China Love

* An album that has grown on me, completely. I enjoy her honesty, her horniness, the hooks, the lyrics, and the flow. There's a peaceful, relaxing place I go to whenever I listen to it from start to finish. While there are a few tracks I always skip, the haunting sounds of "Better Days" always leave me feeling excited and energized.

6. Janet Jackson - Come Give Your Love To Me

* GROOVES!!!! I absolutely adore this album. It's cute, funky, and addictive. While it's not as great as the top 3, I do like every track on the album, which is something I can't say about most albums, period.

7. Control - Nasty

* Control is ranked low only because as I've grown up, I've gotten tired of hearing the songs. "Nasty" is the one song that I can identify with...she had something to prove with that song and it has this winning combination of hard hitting beats, sassy lyrics, don't give a damn attitude, and a hot video!

8. 20 Y.O. - Enjoy

* While I think 20 Y.O. is consistent with it's sound and flow from start to finish, it almost feels incomplete, like there's a piece of the puzzle missing. Obviously, this piece I'm referring to is "Roll Witchu"...that song is what makes a perfect blend of classic Janet and modern music, absolutely orgasmic.

9. Discipline - Never Letchu Go

* Discipline is cold, brash, and blunt. It's kind of all over the place. With time, it leaves less of an impact on me. I do enjoy "Feedback", "Luv", "Can't B Good", "Never Letchu Go", "2Nite", and "So Much Betta" the most.

10. Dream Street - All My Love To You

* This album is cute and funky, but it suffers from 80's cheese syndrome. "Don't Stand Another Chance" is definitely one of her better and underrated singles. I think much of the songs stand better on their own rather than as an album.

• Upvote 1

I think the first time I really listened to Janet was around 8 years ago when I discovered my mother's Design of a Decade cd and wore it out. It wasn't until probably the Discipline era, however, that I became a die hard fan. Similar to Twisted, I can't see myself ever having another artist above her. Everything about her resonates deeply within in me. I not only listen to her music, I feel like I know who she is (which is hard for cynical non-fans to understand). The similarities between us are numerous. She is my soul mate. I love her more than some of the people in my life. :cry:

I think the first time I really listened to Janet was around 8 years ago when I discovered my mother's Design of a Decade cd and wore it out. It wasn't until probably the Discipline era, however, that I became a die hard fan. Similar to Twisted, I can't see myself ever having another artist above her. Everything about her resonates deeply within in me. I not only listen to her music, I feel like I know who she is (which is hard for cynical non-fans to understand). The similarities between us are numerous. She is my soul mate. I love her more than some of the people in my life. :cry:

:lmao::lmao:

:ph34r:

I think I'll always be biased towards Velvet Rope b/c it's when I first discovered Janet. I was young so I just loved jamming to the songs. Then in time as I got older I finally grasped hold of the meanings of the songs as they tied to me personally; What About, Special, You, the title track, Every Time (no matter how much I shade it), Accept Me, Got Til It's Gone being the ones that I've connected with most from it.

Then sometime after AFY came out, I got into her older material also & I was just blown. The layers of this woman's voice/vocals, her performing energy, attitude, growth, depth, class. Then her beauty MY GOD!!!! Her smile is what inspired God to create all things beautiful in this world. (Her & Tina Turner's smiles>>>>>)

For a while, there were no other female artist I ever gave time to. I've grown & let most in, but Janet has & will always remain #1.

10. Dream Street

9. Janet Jackson

8. 20 YO

7. Discipline

6. Damita Jo

5. All For You

4. Control

3. Rhythm Nation

2. janet.

1. Velvet Rope

• Upvote 1

Discipline is weird because I always forget about it...Then feedback or rock with u comes on and I'm like oh yeah this my song!

Discipline is literally the only album and era I forget (not on a regular basis, but just every now & then) like it just came and went so fast. I'd forget 20Y.O. more if I didn't like Enjoy, Take Care & Do It To Me so much and listen to those on a regular basis. Where's theres virtually no song on Discipline I listen to on a regular basis.

I was too young for DS and JJ..but "Control" was when I became a fan. I can't go into detail, but seeing Janet for the first time in the WHYDFML video had my heart..

That's one of my first memories...Janet, the big hair and shoulder pads. I was in love.With respect to Tina Turner, as an artist, entertainer and performer, there is no woman better than Janet Jackson.

1. The Velvet Rope

2. Rhythm Nation 1814

3. Control

4. janet.

5. All For You

6. Damita Jo

7. Discipline

8. 20 Y.O.

9. Janet Jackson

10. Dream Street

• Upvote 1

That's one of my first memories...Janet, the big hair and shoulder pads. I was in love.With respect to Tina Turner, as an artist, entertainer and performer, there is no woman better than Janet Jackson.

1. The Velvet Rope

2. Rhythm Nation 1814

3. Control

4. janet.

5. All For You

6. Damita Jo

7. Discipline

8. 20 Y.O.

9. Janet Jackson

10. Dream Street

Not one lie spoken. :cry: