• The Velvet Rope (1997)
    • All For You (2001)
    • Damita Jo (2004)
    • 20 Y.O. (2006)
    • Discipline (2008)

This 1 is for the queen of MUSIC

Janet_Jackson.jpg

Hope yall didnt think I was done with Discography chat

My favorite artist on the planet for the last 11 years is Janet Jackson. Why do I give her that title, musically? Honestly of all my favorite musicians, Janet is the ONLY 1 with at least 5 songs on every album that I love, not like, LOVE! There is literally nobody else I can say that about. I CRAVE her music, her voice, her wording, her style, her depth, her sass, her personality, her vulnerability, she's just everything I want in a artist. THAT is why she is my #1, I dont think a single person even comes close my 2nd fave female artist (Mariah), my 1st & 2nd fave male singers (Prince & Stevie), my fave group (EV) can even compare for me. Let's break it down. I give my least fave Janet album 3/5 stars, she'll ALWAYS get somewhat've a extra nod from me because of her voice alone even when she's whispering (which I'm not a fan of, but I like her doing it more than anyone else)

Janet Jackson, I honestly love it, not for the songs, but for her voice, like real talk, listen to the song You'll Never Find (A Love Like Mine) and listen to the way she sings it my fave vocal part on that song is the part of the 2nd verse where she says "So set your game on the right track, cause once you leave, it's hard to get back, so don't drag me away" I LIVVVVVVVVE that part. ESPECIALLY the way she sings "Once You Leave". I also love her voice on Love & My Best Friend, and Don't Mess Up This good thing. And it's hard to believe she was 15 when she recorded Forever yours, the sincerity and passion and love in her voice...damn. I'm not a big fan of her voice for most of Come Give Your Love To Me, but she has some hott vocal moments to me in that song too.

Dream Street, I honestly think this album deserves better than the reputation it has. By no means am I saying it should've been a hit album but I think it desserved to chart higher than it did, like it tanked horribly. I LOVE DON'T STAND ANOTHER CHANCE, Yall don't even know how happy I was that she performed it on RWU, and that I got to see it. I REALLY love that song. I also love Pretty Boy, All My Love To You, Hold Back The Tears (ESPECIALLY THAT BRIDGE), and If it takes all night. I also love the Fast Girls remix, and Rock & Roll and Start Anew. Again mostly what I love about this album was the vocals for the songs she used her big girl voice on, like I'm not big on the song Dream Street at all accept for the chorus.

Control. I literally love every single song on this album, we get into "You Can Be Mine vs. He Doesn't even know this song exist I'm alive" discussions all the time but I really love both (tho I still love You can be mine easily over HDEK, for the simple fact that HDEK don't fit the album or era at all). Like it was the perfect combination, good vocals + good lyrics + SLAMMIN beats= happy me. Every song had it's own style and personality and was more than 1 genre. Standout tracks for me for Control are Nasty (FOR THAT SICK BEAT, and her rapping, she calls it spoken word,I call it rapping, and that FUNKAY FUCK YOU NASTY BOYS ATTITUDE her voice oozed in that song), Pleasure Principle because of that sick beat, and the sweetness in her voice, You Can Be Mine (and you all will deal) for that SICK beat and her vocals throughout the song from the opening "HEY BABY!", What have You done for me lately for that sick beat &the bridge. & Funny How Time Flies, for the vocals, the words, the style, ooh how I love that song.

RN, Hands down my 2nd fave Janet album EVER. I LOVE A GOOD ALBUM WITH A THEME, and honestly I like that the whole album wasn't about the theme that she did have songs about just having fun or being in love. The album has my favorite song Janet ever stepped into a studio and put together, Love Will Never Do, WHAT THE FUCK IS THERE NOT TO LOVE ABOUT THIS SONG!?!?!? Her vocals slay from beginning to end, hell even her background vocals slay every song released on 20 Y.O. & Discipline. The beat is sick, the style of the song is great, the lyrics are so sweet and beautiful. Rhythm Nation, LOVE THIS SONG, this song makes me just live, like I can hardly take sitting down listening to it. Miss You Much is sooooo sick from the way she sings it, and all the underrated vocals and harmonies throughout it. Come Back To me, my favorite slow jam she's ever done sooo much raw/real emotion in that sweet voice, and the instrumentals were perfection, the violins are LIFE. Someday Is Tonight, the sequel to Let's Wait A While which I think slays a TON more out of LWAW, everything about the song was dirty and romantic and sophisticated. I LOVE Living In A World They Didn't Make, its sooo good, in every way the piano, her vocals, her lyrics, I CANT STAND the bullets going and kids screaming part, like that hurts me everytime I hear it. The only song on this album I don't like is Alright BECAUSE!!! I don't like the album version, the album version would make a hott remix but the video version/DOAD version makes for a Much better version.

janet. My #1 favorite Janet album, and era to date IMO, like everything about it was perfect to me, her look, her sound, her personality, her makeup. That album had a song that could've been on Control, and RN, and TVR. It's hard for me to get into what specific tracks I love without naming them all, so I'll do my best to shorten it all up. TTWLG, really a perfect Janet song, it's a slow jam, it's a dance song, you can just chill out to it, the vocals slay the harmonies slay etc. IF IS LIFE (all that needs to be said, them harmonies alone!), This Time, THE LYRICS, the background music, Kathleen's background vocals, JANETS VOCALS AND ATTITUDE, Funky Big Band, THE VOCALS, the harmonies, the music is a bit overwhelming in that song but her vocals make me love it a ton. New Agenda, the lyrics more than anything, but also the vocals and chuck slay too. Because of love PERFECTION, the harmonies, the vocals, the lyrics. Again almost perfection, I think Again is missing a bridge that sets up them vocals to fly!!! Where Are You Now the unconfirmed sequel to Come Back To Me and meets it perfectly with the style and the vocals. The Body That Loves You SOOOO romantic and sexy and sweet. Anytime Anyplace, SO DIRTY yet romantic and sweet, and them vocals SLAY, but I prefer the R.Kelly remix simply because I think the backround music in the original almost cover her voice in certain parts, like it seems to be louder than her vocals on purpuse. Whoops Now, I LOVE IT, the vocals are hot, the way she says/sings certain parts give me life. Whoops now reminds me of like a Motown track. What'll I do JANET GONE COUNTRY AND DID A GOOD JO ATIT. I LOVE her vocals in What'll I do, What'll I Do is defintely 1 of my most fave tracks she's done. I also love One More Chance (THEM VOCALS!!!). I know the album gets under appreciated and branded "Overrated" by alot of Janfam, but for me, it's very much my taste, it's eclectic but still has a flow to it, it was ahead of it's time with some tracks (IF) and it sounded like 1993 sometimes (Because Of Love). The album has no personal filler to me, I can honestly listen to every single track over and over again, and I can honestly say I love each and every single track and B-side on this mutha fucking album. I can see it not being certain people cup of tea, but for me it's perfection

The Velvet Rope. I RESPECT this album and era more than I personally love it. I LOVE the personality of the album and the fact that she took another MAJOR chance on her image and style for this album (Notice, she took a chance with control, RN, janet.& TVR all of which she took a chance on her music and image), it paid off again with this masterpiece. I LOVE IT ofcourse. My picks are You (LOVE THIS SONG TO DEATH, it reads me and my old issues), Everytime (I love it more than Again I think), I GET LONELY!!!! WOOO That song is just....woo, she killed it lol. Together Again, the vocals, the lyrics just perfection. My Need so original and smooth, it's like Thats The Way Love Goes in the way that you can dance to it, or chill to it, or fuck to it. What About, Go Deep, The Velvet Rope (them Violens gave me life), Got' Til It's Gone, Special & can't Be stopped.

All For You, Great album and content wise I think it's underrated because theres songs like Truth, Son Of A Gun & Better Dayz that like TVR took us into HER and the drama she was dealing with. This album proves people who think she ONLY can make great music with Rene' stupid. I love EVERY track from this album ofcourse, and my standout tracks are All For You, Better Dayz, Come On Get Up, China Love, When We OOO, Would You Mind, Trust A Try, Son Of A Gun, Feels So Right, and Truth.

Damita Jo. Her MOST underrated album of the 00's. I love it and my favorite thing about it is the style and the vocals for the majority of the songs, the BEST of her whispering was on here. Her vocals for Sexhibition, Island Life, Spending Time With You, & SloLove, I Want You, & Like You Don't Love me Slays. EVERYTHING about All Nite is hott and tells me that song should've rulled 2004 with a iron fist. I also love the sensuality and RAW sexiness of Warmth and Moist.

20 Y.O. I like it more than alot of fans do like I don't think it's a bad album, I think it's 1 of her worst ones, but compared to lesser artist, its cream that just didnt get the rising support it needed. Granted it also would've helped if the album was a little more personal and more than just her real love life. But we all know she wanted fun so thats what she sang about. my standout tracks are Get It Out me, Do It To Me (SICK SONG, LOVES IT), This Body (and yall will deal, THAT BEAT SLAYS), Call On Me (again, yall will deal) I Love the sweetness of the song, and the emotion and beat. ENJOY, quite possibly 1 of my fave songs of hers recorded in the 2000's, her vocals slay and the lyrics are how I live my life today. Take Care her best sexual song in the 2000's if you ask me, the want/need/desire in her voice is everything, and the beat soooo hott. I also love Days Go By and Roll Witchu. I like Weekend too

Discipline, EASILY my least favorite Janet album (JJ & DS included) the album sounds like Janet demos to me, I give it still 3 stars and think it's better than alot of crap that came out that year, but its FARRRR from her best, the farthest from her best in my opinion. Granted that since I said alllll of that, but I still love it, I LOVE 2nite, Can't Be Good, Feedback, Luv, Rockwitchu, So much Betta, and The 1 (for Missy). This album had potential but it couldve been SOOOO much better than it was, and I felt that way since the 1st listen, I'm not 1 of the fans that like an album when it's new than when it flops I say it's horrible.

Overall I really REALLY hope she goes back to risk taking.

My ranking

1.janet.

2.Rhythm Nation

3.TVR

4.Damita Jo

5.All For You

6.Control

7.Janet Jackson

8.20 Y.O.

9.Dream Street

10.Discipline

My previous installments of Discography chat

Sade-

Lil Kim-

Rihanna-

Faith Evans-

Usher-

Aaliyah-

Alicia Keys-

TLC-

Toni Braxton-

Paula Abdul-

Missy- http://planetjanet.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/9298-discography-chat-missy-elliott/

The Spice Girls- http://planetjanet.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/9353-discography-chat-the-spice-girls/

En Vogue- http://planetjanet.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/9268-discography-chat-en-vogue/

Destiny's Child- http://planetjanet.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/9232-discography-chat-destinys-child/

Mariah Carey- http://planetjanet.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/8877-discography-chat-mariah-carey/

Whitney Houston- http://planetjanet.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/8920-discography-chat-whitney-houston/

Ludacris- http://planetjanet.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/9324-discography-chat-ludacris/

Mary J. Blige- http://planetjanet.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/9148-discography-chat-mary-j-blige/

Jill Scott- http://planetjanet.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/9179-discography-chat-jill-scott/

Jennifer Lopez- http://planetjanet.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/9206-discography-chat-jennifer-lopez/

Outkast- http://planetjanet.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/9083-discography-chat-outkast/

Erykah Badu- http://planetjanet.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/9107-discography-chat-erykah-badu/

Christina Aguilera- http://planetjanet.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/9007-discography-chat-christina-aguilera/

Britney Spears- http://planetjanet.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/9048-discography-chat-britney-spears/

Ciara- http://planetjanet.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/9130-discography-chat-ciara/

Other members installments

Common- http://planetjanet.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/9378-commons-discography/

The Black Eyed Peas- http://planetjanet.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/9201-discography-chat-black-eyed-peas/

• Upvote 3

Without even a 2nd thought, I'd put money on TVR or RN (mostlikely TVR) will dominate the polls

BUT, I do want to hear all of your thoughts on all of the albums (don't have to be all detailed like mine) but I'd like to know anyone reading this, or is on this site (this being a Janet site and all) their analysis on her discogrpahy no matter how much or little, basically it's like where do those albums stand with you, and how would you rank them

TVR will dominate - it's like a PJ staple favourite :lol:. I'll give you my order:

1) Rhythm Nation

2) Control

3) The Velvet Rope

4) Damita Jo

5) janet.

6) All For You

7) Discipline

8) 20YO

9) Dream Street

10) Janet Jackson

4/5 are interchangeable :lol:.

TVR will dominate - it's like a PJ staple favourite :lol:. I'll give you my order:

1) Rhythm Nation

2) Control

3) The Velvet Rope

4) Damita Jo

5) janet.

6) All For You

7) Discipline

8) 20YO

9) Dream Street

10) Janet Jackson

4/5 are interchangeable :lol:.

Ch. Dont even get me started, I worked out to Janet Jackson today so it goes higher than 20 Y.O. but they switch places allll the time, same with Damita Jo, TVR, & All For You, all 3 of them are able to switch a position depending on my mood.

Ch. Dont even get me started, I worked out to Janet Jackson today so it goes higher than 20 Y.O. but they switch places allll the time, same with Damita Jo, TVR, & All For You, all 3 of them are able to switch a position depending on my mood.

I'm exactly the same :lol:!

JJ/DS - meh. Not really Janets vision but it has some cute cuts.

Control - The birth of an icon...1986 saw the 'birth' of one of Pops greatest visionaries ever, Janet Jackson. The baby of the Jackson family came with the album that separated the puppets from the masters, Control. OK so it was her 3rd album but quintessentially it was the one that brought her to the forefront and made her the icon she is today. The title track is almost anthematic in the sense that it shows exactly how she managed to separate herself from her family in order to achieve what she did. She was 20 years old.

Rhythm Nation - see the essay Austin wrote for that hall of fame thing...I agree with everything. Black Cat makes me so thirsty for more Janet rock songs! LWNDWY - slays my life. CBTM/Lonely are Janet's best ballads! They take me to Janurch. The whole album is perfection. Her best. Ugh! I don't even know what to say - I just love it so fucking much.

• Upvote 1

There's not much to say about her first couple of albums that won't be said by everyone else, so I'll keep this as brief as possible. Her first album is cute for what it is, but her second is dreadful. Control is amazing: much imitated, never duplicated, iconic singles, etc. Rhythm Nation hasn't aged as well for me, but its impact is hard to ignore. Outside of its singles Janet bores me to tears. The Velvet Rope was a major improvement both conceptually and sonically, and is far and away my favorite album of hers.

I feel like All for You doesn't get as much credit as it deserves. It's as cohesive as some of her earlier albums, although its singles aren't as strong. Damita Jo was a long, drawn-out mess. It finds its groove about a quarter of the way in ("Island Life" through "I Want You" is fantastic) but I lose interest shortly afterward and there isn't much else on the album to keep me listening. I think it's obvious why most of us don't look back on 20 Y.O. I actually really like the second half of the album, which surprises me considering how hit-and-miss her last few albums are. I find the first half to be really tacky and desperate. Discipline reeks of similar desperation. But despite it sounding like Janet on autopilot, it's got more highlights than the two albums which precede it.

Ranking:

01. The Velvet Rope

02. Control

03. Rhythm Nation

04. All for You

05. Janet

06. Discipline

07. Damita Jo

07. 20 Y.O. (tie?)

09. literally who

10. honestly never heard of it

• Upvote 1

Nice, jarry and I have the same top 4! :) I honestly love all her albums. They range from classic masterpieces to just very good. Alright, from the top... :P (A lot of this is going to be a repeat of what I said before because I can't remember what I did and didn't say lol)

Her debut is good for what it was: an innocent and lighthearted album. The end of "Don't Mess Up This Good Thing" is actually a really good vocal. "Say You Do" is a great opener, and I rock out to "Come Give Your Love To Me." Just listened to this, she just comes across as very sweet person - like that cute girl who moved next door to you that you just want to meet. You're shy but she still likes you anyway. Okay I got a bit carried away lol...

I actually love Dream Street even more than the first album. It's a little dated but it's still got this quirky charm to it ("Attraction automatic, a simple mathematic..." "Oh thank heaven for the microwave") - appealing to the math/science affactionado in me lol. I actually place "Don't Stand Another Chance" up there as one of her great singles, her best pre-Control song - it had personality and attitude, and is the first instance of her irresistible laugh. I was also very pleased when she performed it on the RWY Tour, one of the best surprises of the night. The title track had a great storyline to it.

And once Control came out, the rest is history ... the first of at least 4 classic albums in a row. Because of this, and the following 3 studio albums I consider her the queen of concept albums ... here the theme is of course independence. Every track is solid... I have to say HDKIA could've just as easily fit on one of her earlier albums because it's, for a lack of better word, the most "innocent" of all the songs; great vocal range though. To balance with the heavy themes, there's the fun, lighthearted track... for Control it's "When I Think of You" - I love when she breaks it down with the scatting at the end, and that laugh at the end is the best laugh I ever heard for real! It's a super close second to my very favorite "The Pleasure Principle" - the album version with the guitar solo is much better than the edited single version.

She steps it up even more with RN1814. Another great concept tackling world issues, something that is still very relevant today. Like Control, solid tracklist and some fun songs like "Escapade" to keep everything balanced. "Love Will Never Do" is my next favorite, the way it builds up from her lower register in the beginning, and then the way it concludes. It's like sunrise and sunset and put to music (yeah that's such a synesthete thing to say lol) Other favorites are "Miss You Much" (The Mama Mix is even better), "Alright," "Come Back To Me," "Rhythm Nation," and "Black Cat" (my favorite Janet song to butcher sing ~ made me a bit notorious :devil:)

Can't nobody tell me anything about the masterpiece that is janet. :excited: I agree with jarry. The one word to describe that album is PERFECT! Should've joined Rolling Stone's best albums list with RN1814 and TVR. It just doesn't get any better than this for me. I really appreciate all the musicianship that went to this album... from opera, house, rock, jazz, hip-hop, and everything in between: I would say it's her most diverse album, and the interludes keep the album cohesive. Themes of love, womanhood, and sensuality and she still keeps it classy. "That's The Way Love Goes" is the ultimate love song. And then there's "If"'s fiery passion, "This Time"'s theatrical quality (I always imagine the perfect music video), "Again"'s vulnerability, "New Agenda"'s determination, the longing of "Where Are You Now," the fun in "Whoops Now" (song never fails to make me laugh or smile). Each song here has its own character. Well that's just my brief summary on that one. :P

Honorable mentions to "Scream" and "Runaway" - among some of her best work.

It's easy to why The Velvet Rope is frequently regarded as a fan favorite as it's a very introspective theme making it very relatable. "Together Again" is that shining light on an overall mellow album. "I Get Lonely" is one of her best R&B songs (2nd to TTWLG :whistle:). "Can't Be Stopped" is very underrated since it's a hidden track. Of course the title track is my favorite as a violinist myself - I've literally tried to emulate Vanessa-Mae's playing lol. Other songs I especially love are "You," "Go Deep," and "Empty."

All For You returns to more fun, lighthearted roots of her early albums but much more sophisticated. When the title track came out, I went crazy! 11 years later, I still consider one of the best singles of the 21st century. Great use of the "Glow of Love" sample, great vocals. other highlights: "Come On Get Up," "When We Oooo," "Trust A Try," "Son of a Gun," and should've-at-least-been-a-hidden-track "Who."

At the time it came out, Damita Jo was my least favorite post-Control release, but I grew to love it more and more over the years. It's the perfect album to play on a tropical island. Control has better songs overall, but I rank this higher because I love the vibe. Favorites: "Damita Jo," "Spending Time With You," "Island Life," "All Nite (Don't Stop)" (it's a crime this didn't go top 10 at least - best single of 2004), "R&B Junkie," "Like You Don't Love Me," "I Want You," and "Just A Little While."

20 Y.O. is underrated. It gave us "Enjoy," which I consider the album's centerpiece and her last classic track. Other highlights: "Show Me," "Get It Out Me," "Do It 2 Me," "Daybreak," "Take Care," and bonus track "Roll Witchu."

Admittedly, I don't listen to Discipline as much anymore... I always give 20 Y.O. the edge because she at least contributed to the songwriting process there. I liked the concept though... I always imagined Kyoko like the computer from Dexter's Laboratory lol. Highlights: "2Nite," "Rollercoaster," "Rock Witchu," "LUV," "What's Ur Name," and this was the first time my favorite song is a bonus track: "Let Me Know"

Sorry I rushed a lot of it lol

--------------------------

1. janet. ("That's The Way Love Goes")

2. Rhythm Nation 1814 ("Escapade")

3. The Velvet Rope ("I Get Lonely")

4. Damita Jo ("Spending Time With You")

5. Control ("The Pleasure Principle")

6. All For You ("All For You")

7. 20 Y.O. ("Enjoy")

8. Discipline ("Let Me Know")

9. Dream Street ("Don't Stand Another Chance")

10. Janet Jackson ("Say You Do")

• Upvote 3

Nice, jarry and I have the same top 4! :) I honestly love all her albums. They range from classic masterpieces to just very good. Alright, from the top... :P (A lot of this is going to be a repeat of what I said before because I can't remember what I did and didn't say lol)

Her debut is good for what it was: an innocent and lighthearted album. The end of "Don't Mess Up This Good Thing" is actually a really good vocal. "Say You Do" is a great opener, and I rock out to "Come Give Your Love To Me." Just listened to this, she just comes across as very sweet person - like that cute girl who moved next door to you that you just want to meet. You're shy but she still likes you anyway. Okay I got a bit carried away lol...

I actually love Dream Street even more than the first album. It's a little dated but it's still got this quirky charm to it ("Attraction automatic, a simple mathematic..." "Oh thank heaven for the microwave") - appealing to the math/science affactionado in me lol. I actually place "Don't Stand Another Chance" up there as one of her great singles, her best pre-Control song - it had personality and attitude, and is the first instance of her irresistible laugh. I was also very pleased when she performed it on the RWY Tour, one of the best surprises of the night. The title track had a great storyline to it.

And once Control came out, the rest is history ... the first of at least 4 classic albums in a row. Because of this, and the following 3 studio albums I consider her the queen of concept albums ... here the theme is of course independence. Every track is solid... I have to say HDKIA could've just as easily fit on one of her earlier albums because it's, for a lack of better word, the most "innocent" of all the songs; great vocal range though. To balance with the heavy themes, there's the fun, lighthearted track... for Control it's "When I Think of You" - I love when she breaks it down with the scatting at the end, and that laugh at the end is the best laugh I ever heard for real! It's a super close second to my very favorite "The Pleasure Principle" - the album version with the guitar solo is much better than the edited single version.

She steps it up even more with RN1814. Another great concept tackling world issues, something that is still very relevant today. Like Control, solid tracklist and some fun songs like "Escapade" to keep everything balanced. "Love Will Never Do" is my next favorite, the way it builds up from her lower register in the beginning, and then the way it concludes. It's like sunrise and sunset and put to music (yeah that's such a synesthete thing to say lol) Other favorites are "Miss You Much" (The Mama Mix is even better), "Alright," "Come Back To Me," "Rhythm Nation," and "Black Cat" (my favorite Janet song to butcher sing ~ made me a bit notorious :devil:)

Can't nobody tell me anything about the masterpiece that is janet. :excited: I agree with jarry. The one word to describe that album is PERFECT! Should've joined Rolling Stone's best albums list with RN1814 and TVR. It just doesn't get any better than this for me. I really appreciate all the musicianship that went to this album... from opera, house, rock, jazz, hip-hop, and everything in between: I would say it's her most diverse album, and the interludes keep the album cohesive. Themes of love, womanhood, and sensuality and she still keeps it classy. "That's The Way Love Goes" is the ultimate love song. And then there's "If"'s fiery passion, "This Time"'s theatrical quality (I always imagine the perfect music video), "Again"'s vulnerability, "New Agenda"'s determination, the longing of "Where Are You Now," the fun in "Whoops Now" (song never fails to make me laugh or smile). Each song here has its own character. Well that's just my brief summary on that one. :P

Honorable mentions to "Scream" and "Runaway" - among some of her best work.

It's easy to why The Velvet Rope is frequently regarded as a fan favorite as it's a very introspective theme making it very relatable. "Together Again" is that shining light on an overall mellow album. "I Get Lonely" is one of her best R&B songs (2nd to TTWLG :whistle:). "Can't Be Stopped" is very underrated since it's a hidden track. Of course the title track is my favorite as a violinist myself - I've literally tried to emulate Vanessa-Mae's playing lol. Other songs I especially love are "You," "Go Deep," and "Empty."

All For You returns to more fun, lighthearted roots of her early albums but much more sophisticated. When the title track came out, I went crazy! 11 years later, I still consider one of the best singles of the 21st century. Great use of the "Glow of Love" sample, great vocals. other highlights: "Come On Get Up," "When We Oooo," "Trust A Try," "Son of a Gun," and should've-at-least-been-a-hidden-track "Who."

At the time it came out, Damita Jo was my least favorite post-Control release, but I grew to love it more and more over the years. It's the perfect album to play on a tropical island. Control has better songs overall, but I rank this higher because I love the vibe. Favorites: "Damita Jo," "Spending Time With You," "Island Life," "All Nite (Don't Stop)" (it's a crime this didn't go top 10 at least - best single of 2004), "R&B Junkie," "Like You Don't Love Me," "I Want You," and "Just A Little While."

20 Y.O. is underrated. It gave us "Enjoy," which I consider the album's centerpiece and her last classic track. Other highlights: "Show Me," "Get It Out Me," "Do It 2 Me," "Daybreak," "Take Care," and bonus track "Roll Witchu."

Admittedly, I don't listen to Discipline as much anymore... I always give 20 Y.O. the edge because she at least contributed to the songwriting process there. I liked the concept though... I always imagined Kyoko like the computer from Dexter's Laboratory lol. Highlights: "2Nite," "Rollercoaster," "Rock Witchu," "LUV," "What's Ur Name," and this was the first time my favorite song is a bonus track: "Let Me Know"

Sorry I rushed a lot of it lol

--------------------------

1. janet. ("That's The Way Love Goes")

2. Rhythm Nation 1814 ("Escapade")

3. The Velvet Rope ("I Get Lonely")

4. Damita Jo ("Spending Time With You")

5. Control ("The Pleasure Principle")

6. All For You ("All For You")

7. 20 Y.O. ("Enjoy")

8. Discipline ("Let Me Know")

9. Dream Street ("Don't Stand Another Chance")

10. Janet Jackson ("Say You Do")

Oh come here football-love-2_o_GIFSoupcom.gif:shifty:

Ch. Where do I begin with you, 1st off, YESSS at the janet. era praise. That's my favorite thing about the album, how eclectic it is, I'd argue it is hands down her most eclectic album to date. Like what main genre didn't she do in that album? Gospel?....the main chorus to New Agenda is "Amen"

AND I love that you rep'd Spending Time With You, that song is sooo smooth and sensual and relaxing. We're also VERY much alike in that when Damita Jo came out I wasn't exactly impressed either, it wasn't till Discipline came out where I realized that album was GOLD, and today I mostly like it more than All For You (they'll always go back & forth it's like black & white 2 very different albums and eras).

I feel bad I've neglected the discography chats of late. I'll be back in due time. Same goes for the ones I missed.

You damn right you neglected the Discography chats...alot of good 1's missed your touch. I'm the ONLY 1 who voted in Sade's....hows that supposed to make me feel? My heart can't take it

janet. - you know what...I used to fucking love this album and then I started to shade it because I felt it was slightly boring in places. But I listened to it yesterday and I've realised that I think it's great the way it is. Yeah the mood changes from mellow to fun to serious to fun to dark to sad to sexy back to fun but I kind of like it like that - it's almost bipolar. I once read on here that apparently if she could Janet would change a few things with this album - I can't see what she could change tbh? Sometimes I feel some of the interludes aren't needed but that's just a personal vice. Other than that it has some fucking amazing songs. TTWLG, If, ATAP are all classics but my personal favourites are Because of Love, You Want This and Where Are You Now - all songs that should have been bigger (WAYN should have been single). I would say WARN is this albums Come Back To Me and beautifully sung as usual! Underrated. Because of Love just reminds me of my friends - it's uplifting and fun. Recently I've been appreciating This Time - I just love it. It somehow got overshadowed and I think that's the problem with this album...it's the track-listing. The placement of some songs (and the addition of some interludes) causes them to get overshadowed. Is it just me? Anyway...so yeah - I think I've been harsh on this album and so I'll stop shading it. It's not perfect like Rhythm Nation or Control but it is still a great album.

• Upvote 1

janet. - you know what...I used to fucking love this album and then I started to shade it because I felt it was slightly boring in places. But I listened to it yesterday and I've realised that I think it's great the way it is. Yeah the mood changes from mellow to fun to serious to fun to dark to sad to sexy back to fun but I kind of like it like that - it's almost bipolar. I once read on here that apparently if she could Janet would change a few things with this album - I can't see what she could change tbh? Sometimes I feel some of the interludes aren't needed but that's just a personal vice. Other than that it has some fucking amazing songs. TTWLG, If, ATAP are all classics but my personal favourites are Because of Love, You Want This and Where Are You Now - all songs that should have been bigger (WAYN should have been single). I would say WARN is this albums Come Back To Me and beautifully sung as usual! Underrated. Because of Love just reminds me of my friends - it's uplifting and fun. Recently I've been appreciating This Time - I just love it. It somehow got overshadowed and I think that's the problem with this album...it's the track-listing. The placement of some songs (and the addition of some interludes) causes them to get overshadowed. Is it just me? Anyway...so yeah - I think I've been harsh on this album and so I'll stop shading it. It's not perfect like Rhythm Nation or Control but it is still a great album.

Yea I'm fairly new to interacting with Janfans like I didnt join any forums till 08, and I was SHOCKED beyond SHOCKED at how many many MANY fans feel the album is either overrated &/or boring. It almost hurt my feelings lol.

Yea I do agree with you that the track listing could've been arranged better like it is a bit bi-polar, like she slipped up on that to me with RN too, like I always felt Living In A World was placed wrongly inbetween LWND & Alright, I feel like it should've led into Lonely, but thats me.

I honestly feel like TTWLG, If & Again completely overshadowed the album and era, and the album had other potential hits that with the right push I think could've held among her greatest hits, for me I think What'll I do could've been huge, like she could've gotten a #1 on the country charts with that 1 if nothing else. And I feel the same way with Because Of Love & Where Are You Now. You know what I feel the same way about Together Again & The Velvet Rope that singles wise it overshadowed the whole album, and they should've pushed You (WHICH TO ME SOOOO COULD've/Should've BEEN A HIT) and Everytime (what I said about You) more too.

After thinking/typing all of this I was just thinking I think, every era after RN until Damita Jo got overshadowed by it's bigger hit(s) because the same can EASILY be said about All For You, that All For You overshadowed the albums other singles potentials. I think the janet era is the last era where there was more than 2 songs that overshadowed the entire era. I gues TVR had 3 if you count Got' Til It's Gone tho it didn't get the hit status that Together Again has it was pretty well known and played throughout the era.

Oh come here football-love-2_o_GIFSoupcom.gif:shifty:

Ch. Where do I begin with you, 1st off, YESSS at the janet. era praise. That's my favorite thing about the album, how eclectic it is, I'd argue it is hands down her most eclectic album to date. Like what main genre didn't she do in that album? Gospel?....the main chorus to New Agenda is "Amen"

AND I love that you rep'd Spending Time With You, that song is sooo smooth and sensual and relaxing. We're also VERY much alike in that when Damita Jo came out I wasn't exactly impressed either, it wasn't till Discipline came out where I realized that album was GOLD, and today I mostly like it more than All For You (they'll always go back & forth it's like black & white 2 very different albums and eras).

That gif is too much :lmao:

Yep, pretty much every genre imaginable is represented on janet. - and then of course there's also spoken word (the interludes)

Yeah STWY has always been my favorite. I'd even argue it's like the "That's The Way Love Goes" of Damita Jo because of their sensual, laidback vibes. While I still liked Damita Jo when it came out, it's like a fine wine (even though I don't particularly care for alcohol lol) in that it got better over the years.

(I'll start off with my favourite album, and come back later.)

Maybe it's because this was the first era that I was fully aware of, but All for You is, to me, one of her best albums.

It's really solid throughout, with maybe a couple of tracks where you can take a bathroom break and just leave it playing in the background without missing too much, but overall, it's a very strong album from start to end.

The "Get the point?" songs like You Ain't Right, Better Days, Trust a Try, and Truth are definitely the stand out tracks. Then there's the "Good. Let's dance and get nasty." tracks which are just Janet Jackson the Queen of Pop at her best.

And I have to say, her utilization of samples is excellent. She really makes them her own.

On a final note, the interludes were really on point as well. :thumbup:

• Upvote 1

So we finally get to the Holy Grail of humanity, and the volumes of life that have chronicled the evolution of man. We began in the earliest of times, there were three Punic Wars, the first was The Battle at Janet Jackson. It was a very trying time for the soldiers, "Young Love" being victor at the battle. So it was a minor victory for the home team. The second war occurred during The Dream Street Fort, a minor setback for the forces, although DSAC being one of the smaller battles won. The third and final battle came when Johanet Sebastien Bachkson delivered the Garysburg Address and discharged General Joe as the commander in chief.

As the wars ended, Janet Platoson ushered in a new era. We shall refer to this era as the Age of Enlightenment. During this time Platoson released her two of her most important works, the Code of Control, and Magna Carta 1814. Two works of history that illustrate the evolution of young hussy to experienced streetwalker. Both solid works of art that catapulted the era from earthly to intergalactic. The issue with these two is their dated sound, rather than timelessness. Although dated, the two works continue to be the pinnacle of the era.

As the Age of Enlightenment came to a close, the beginning of a new era dawned. We have come to know this era as The Renaissance. During this period, Janet Van Gogh released her famous masterpiece. The masterpiece sits in The Lourve, and it is called Venus Meets Rollingsus Stone. During the first half of the Renaissance, the world was blessed with janet., an album that makes Aphrodite look like little orphan Annie. Although the code of conduct is plagued with filler, we shall adorn the works bestowed upon us as it would shape the future of selling sex in the industry. Shortly thereafter, Janetankhamen released "Architect Of A Century", a work reflecting the progress of century's past. During the latter half of The Renaissance, we received The Velvet Versailles. The treaty continues to resonate with the general public due to its introspection and emotional catharsis. For the first time in millenniums, the public did not question whether or not Janphrodite was human.

Following the Renaissance, we entered the Modern Era. Janet Kennedy released The All For You Act of 2001. An act that celebrated the progress of the world, and guided us into the future. The act is almost better than janet. released during the Renaissance. The act was followed with the landmark case Damita vs Jo, a huge step down from the prior works, but still consistent with a few standout tracks. Two more works followed, not as solid, but still great.

And that's the story of the evolution of man. B)

The order of hierarchy is as follows:

1. RN1814

2. TVR

3. Control

4. janet.

5. All For You

6. Discipline

7. Damita Jo

8. 20 YO

9. Janet Jackson

10 Dream Street

oprah1-vi.gif

This ranking of greatest to least great is factual information, and you are to accept this into your hearts.

• Upvote 9

So we finally get to the Holy Grail of humanity, and the volumes of life that have chronicled the evolution of man. We began in the earliest of times, there were three Punic Wars, the first was The Battle at Janet Jackson. It was a very trying time for the soldiers, "Young Love" being victor at the battle. So it was a minor victory for the home team. The second war occurred during The Dream Street Fort, a minor setback for the forces, although DSAC being one of the smaller battles won. The third and final battle came when Johanet Sebastien Bachkson delivered the Garysburg Address and discharged General Joe as the commander in chief.

As the wars ended, Janet Platoson ushered in a new era. We shall refer to this era as the Age of Enlightenment. During this time Platoson released her two of her most important works, the Code of Control, and Magna Carta 1814. Two works of history that illustrate the evolution of young hussy to experienced streetwalker. Both solid works of art that catapulted the era from earthly to intergalactic. The issue with these two is their dated sound, rather than timelessness. Although dated, the two works continue to be the pinnacle of the era.

As the Age of Enlightenment came to a close, the beginning of a new era dawned. We have come to know this era as The Renaissance. During this period, Janet Van Gogh released her famous masterpiece. The masterpiece sits in The Lourve, and it is called Venus Meets Rollingsus Stone. During the first half of the Renaissance, the world was blessed with janet., an album that makes Aphrodite look like little orphan Annie. Although the code of conduct is plagued with filler, we shall adorn the works bestowed upon us as it would shape the future of selling sex in the industry. Shortly thereafter, Janetankhamen released "Architect Of A Century", a work reflecting the progress of century's past. During the latter half of The Renaissance, we received The Velvet Versailles. The treaty continues to resonate with the general public due to its introspection and emotional catharsis. For the first time in millenniums, the public did not question whether or not Janphrodite was human.

Following the Renaissance, we entered the Modern Era. Janet Kennedy released The All For You Act of 2001. An act that celebrated the progress of the world, and guided us into the future. The act is almost better than janet. released during the Renaissance. The act was followed with the landmark case Damita vs Jo, a huge step down from the prior works, but still consistent with a few standout tracks. Two more works followed, not as solid, but still great.

And that's the story of the evolution of man. B)

The order of hierarchy is as follows:

1. RN1814

2. TVR

3. Control

4. janet.

5. All For You

6. Discipline

7. Damita Jo

8. 20 YO

9. Janet Jackson

10 Dream Street

oprah1-vi.gif

This ranking of greatest to least great is factual information, and you are to accept this into your hearts.

dear-saint-selena.gif

JANHOVA IS GOOD ALL THE TIME AND ALL THE TIME JANHOVA IS GOOD, I never tire of hearing of her legendary tales.

bounce-praise.gif

Have to say I'm getting my life from this thread. Maybe some afterlife, too.

Let me start by saying that Janet Jackson is my favourite artist of all time. I feel that's a line some of us deliver to the point of redundancy, but this discography chat will be sure it rings true. I also think it holds significant weight for me personally because a lot of the time you guys will see me take up for "rival" artists, even at times where Janet herself is concerned. But sometimes I feel it's what I don't say that might give off the wrong impression, because I feel my fanhood speaks for itself. I may not communicate it enough on here, but it's a part of me and has been since I properly discovered music. My family and friends associate Janet Jackson with me. Some of them even know who Janet Jackson is because of me. Hers is the only artist's forum I've ever signed up for. To this day my presence on message boards begins and ends with jj.net. She's the reason just last week I drove around half the day in search of a copy of For Colored Girls because I still hadn't seen it. No other artist has captivated me the way she has. And I don't fully know why. I just know she's the one. She's my point of reference and comparison to every artist who followed her reign. I will die a fan.

I'm going to start from the beginning. Mine, not Janet's. 'Miss You Much' was my introduction and I can still remember hearing it for the first time. I was standing in my grandmother's kitchen and the video came on. I don't have some cool story about how I was transfixed or anything like that, but I vividly remember being excited by the sound of music for the very first time. There's such a wonderful sense of urgency about that track. Like the opening chords of Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', it's a song which releases a bodyshot of adrenalin the second it starts. I hear it and I'm moving. Naturally Rhythm Nation 1814 was the next step for me. It remains, after all these years, the greatest album I've ever heard. I don't remember if I asked for it or if my mum simply knew I was a big fan, but I remember her giving me the album on cassette for being good. I have patchy memories of wearing that album out, obsessing over a couple of songs for phases at a time. It's grown up with me. For that reason I may not be the best person to judge whether the album has aged well, but I believe it has. There are elements of everything in there, but I don't think it's definitively representative of a particular time or movement in music. It was incredibly socially aware but never at the expense of a great song. It's so imortant to highlight that. Issue-based lyrics are great and all, but if the musicality is lacking I'm only so invested. Janet, Jimmy, and Terry nailed that shit to the wall. And part of that was perfecting the tracklist. I will always remember Janet's MTV Icon where they talk about putting the album's more hard-hitting socio-tracks at the forefront of RN, and I applaud her for it. A lot of the magic is down to the flow. Plus, the album just has every side of Janet I love. I like to imagine Janet playing RN to the execs for the first time. Surely they must've thought, "Ffffuuuuuuuuuuuu..." There's not too much more I can put into words about this album, just that it's my Thriller. My Purple Rain. My Ray Of Light. My Dark Side Of The Moon. My Sgt. Peppers. My EVERYTHING.

With janet. came the realisation that I had a favourite artist. I was a little bit older and understood the world a little bit more. Sex was light years away, but sexuality had already begun to rear its head. Again, drawing back to Icon, I love when Janet points out that up until 'Love Will Never Do' she was, "covered up to here". That right there is why 'That's The Way Love Goes' was such a great period of re-invention for her. The curls, the skin, just flawless. I'd always felt Janet was the prettiest woman in the world but damn, she was just too beautiful that era. 'TTWLG' was the PERFECT lead-in to janet. I remember fawning over the TV when that video would play. That was the one to talk about at school. Better still was the song itself. The smooth shuffle and sleazy bassline were pure sex, and Janet's lush ad-libs really made that song for me. 'If', well that epitomises Janet Jackson in my eyes. One of the best things she ever put her name to. Those two singles are easily the album's high points for me, followed closely by the open season slayage that is 'This Time'. Fuck me, that song is a beast. Of Janet's major releases, though, it's probably the one I revisit the least in terms of whole albums. Oh, and 'Whoops Now' still blows chunks. (Hi Bu :wave::lol:).

It wasn't until the janet. era that I made the effort to track down Control. I don't remember it as a child, but I remembered hearing and reading of its impact. It took me a little while to warm to, but keep in mind I'd been spoiled by the riches of its superb follow-ups before making room for it in my life. I think that's the reason I don't hold it quite as high as the rest of the JanFam. Single-wise, on point, no denying it - especially on 'The Pleasure Principle' which is the greatest chunk of the Control era for me.

I think The Velvet Rope era was a great time to be a teenager. Any younger and I don't think I would've fully understood Janet Jackson at that time. We knew Janet the pop star, Janet the R&B seductress. This was Janet the artist. It's one of the few albums in my extensive collection that demands a full play from start to finish. I feel kinda stupid admitting this, but I actually didn't fully understand its themes of loneliness and depression until years later. The experimentation with Janet Jackson's sound is what excited me most about The Velvet Rope. 'Empty', 'What About', 'Velvet Rope', they're an experience for the ears. Obviously I'd known it to be a very personal record, but hearing it with a new appreciation of lyrical content some time after sticks out as a fond Janet memory. It came at a pretty crucial time of self-discovery, not only in my sexuality but my personality too. My taste had begun to branch out and I found myself obsessing over new sounds and alternative artists. Liner notes were a must-read. I will forever love her for the line, "Until he found out he was gay / that's so not mellow." It was a time of mass confusion and I'd just discovered my hero was on my side. What that can do to a little gay boy's understanding of self is pretty extraordinary. It was also the era that brought her to me in the flesh for the first time. :wub: What I said earlier bears repeating: Issue-based lyrics are great and all, but if the musicality is lacking I'm only so invested. Thankfully Janet is a master of the art. I consider TVR to be her greatest achievement in sound. Visually it's stunning, too. It's just shy of being my favourite album by her, but on the richness of songwriting and production I think it set the bar way high.

All For You was a labour of love. I remember being in a little shitbox town visiting family on the day it came out and I was pissed that I wasn't near a record store. Thankfully we wound up at a shopping centre and I raced to Target in the hopes I'd find it, and I did! :lol: God, the things we remember. :lol: I played that album end-to-end all the way back home and that's when it hit me. There was a disconnect, and it kinda floored me. I'd never had to work at a Janet release before. What was I missing? The title track was great, the subsequent singles were too. But why wasn't I in love with this album? I still don't have the answer. I can say I love it a lot more than I did back then, but there's still something I can't quite put my finger on when it comes to AFY. Certain tracks stand really well on their own ('You Ain't Right' shits, 'Trust a Try', 'Better Days' are highlights), but overall I felt then as I do now that it's the first time I've felt underwhelmed by a Janet Jackson album. A sadder realisation was finding out it wouldn't be the last.

Damita Jo, 20 Y.O. and Discipline are in my collection for the simple fact that I'm a fan for life. It's hard to imagine yourself on the other side of a fanbase when the experience is pretty much lifelong, but if I were a casual or non-listener I don't think anything aside from 'All Nite' or 'Feedback' would've prompted me to pick those albums up. Like any fan would, I will admit to loving them upon release because, well, there's nothing quite like new music from your favourite artist and everything's great when it's brand new. I can't honestly say I'm not affected by the dark cloud that's hovered over her career since you know what, but I trust in my taste enough to know when I hear something that's uninspired and not living up to potential you KNOW is there. I think every bad album has at least one moment of greatness and I've definitely found that in the Janet albums I'm not too fond of. I guess my fear is that it continues with each release. I want nothing more than another great Janet Jackson album, and we know better than anyone that she's got the goods to give us one.

My ranking...

01. Rhythm Nation 1814

02. The Velvet Rope

03. janet.

04. Control

05. All For You

06. Discipline

07. Damita Jo

08. 20 Y.O.

09. Janet Jackson

10. Dream Street

• Upvote 5