The Janet Jackson Sales Thread

Mr. Wonder

DeadBanana.gif

No. Music clubs are retailers that operate directly out of a warehouse. You mail in your order and they send it to you.

I don't understand :umm:. Oh you mean retailers that only operate using a paper catalogue that they send through peoples doors? Like an Avon for music?

janet. deserves to be diamond. 7M just on soundscan alone; with BMG club sales it reaches 8M; Columbia House probably brings it to 9M; and then that leaves other smaller clubs to make the difference.

And I'm also a bit baffled how Control and RN1814 are tied in worldwide sales. I would think RN1814 would be at least 2M ahead...

I don't understand :umm:. Oh you mean retailers that only operate using a paper catalogue that they send through peoples doors? Like an Avon for music?

Sony BMG is a music club. They mail out a catalog of what albums, DVDs, etc they have in stock. You order what you want, and then you mail the order back to them. Then they send you the albums, DVDs, etc that you ordered.

janet. deserves to be diamond. 7M just on soundscan alone; with BMG club sales it reaches 8M; Columbia House probably brings it to 9M; and then that leaves other smaller clubs to make the difference.

And I'm also a bit baffled how Control and RN1814 are tied in worldwide sales. I would think RN1814 would be at least 2M ahead...

Yeah, the estimates I've seen put TVR at 4x platinum because of Soundscan (3.2 million) and BMG (426k) putting it at 3.6 million, and other miscellaneous clubs bringing the certification to 4x platinum. If janet. scanned 7.03 million and 880k, that's 7.8 million. You can assume 8x platinum from that. Add in Columbia House, other clubs, and reshipments, the album could be diamond.

As for Control and RN1814, I'm not even gonna indulge. No two consecutive albums sale the exact same amount worldwide. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Record sales? I still say 150 million is the max. Just albums? IDJ/Universal claims over 100 million. 65 million is confirmed (Control - AFY). With JJ & DS, DOAD, DJ - 20YO, and everything else, it brings sales to ~85 million. So that 100 million albums number is probably a shipped figure.

Record sales? I still say 150 million is the max. Just albums? IDJ/Universal claims over 100 million. 65 million is confirmed (Control - AFY). With JJ & DS, DOAD, DJ - 20YO, and everything else, it brings sales to ~85 million. So that 100 million albums number is probably a shipped figure.

Add singles to that and what do we get :whistle:

• 3 weeks later...

Problem with Janet (us older members should know) is she pre-dates soundscan era, and some sales were thru music clubs back in the day which were NOT counted. Also bootlegging of her music was an issue too. In short Janet's true sales are not published correctly because she has always been under counted
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...