The Janet Jackson Sales Thread

Mr. Wonder

You're just unnecessarily being defiant. This whole "I'm a rebel without a cause" attitude is only hurting yourself. All the cool kids are doing twitter. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: I'm not being a "rebel" :rolleyes: At this time in my life, I don't see the point in it considering how I barely use Facebook. Plus it's just a matter of time that a new social network comes out and Twitter is forgotten about :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: I'm not being a "rebel" :rolleyes: At this time in my life, I don't see the point in it considering how I barely use Facebook. Plus it's just a matter of time that a new social network comes out and Twitter is forgotten about :rolleyes:

It's unneeded defiance. :rolleyes: And it took a while for Facebook to punch Myspace out the game. Twitter has punched out Facebook. So it'll be a while before something punches Twitter out the game. :rolleyes:

It's unneeded defiance. :rolleyes: And it took a while for Facebook to punch Myspace out the game. Twitter has punched out Facebook. So it'll be a while before something punches Twitter out the game. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Well I won't be creating it now since I'm about to hit the road to visit family for the weekend :wave:

Moved are we? :whistle:

Nope...never. B)

The thing is I understand what Austin is saying. TOF, you and that SB route you're going made me get off your side :umm:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

!!! Regardless of how successful AFY was, Superbowl was bound to be the downfall. If DJ had better music, it wouldn't have been as bad.

DJ having "better music" wouldn't have changed a thing... and I'll further explain my opinion regarding AFY in my response to Hendrika.

Exactly...and let's not forget about Control, Rhythm Nation 1814 and janet. didn't stop the backlash from the SB and those are what made Janet who she is. Everything relied on the DJ era...sadly not only did the era start too soon, but it quickly ended after 100K performances of "All Nite (Don't Stop)" -_-

In the industry, you may have "legendary status" but you're still only as good as your last album.

If AFY had the success that it should have, imo, the industry might not have turned their back on her so quickly once the SB incident went down. People would have seen dollar signs over the fallout from the scandal, so although Janet's career would have took a hit regardless...it might not have impacted everything that happened from that point forward to such a great extent.

As I said before, it's still unprecedented what happened to Janet given the type of success her last project did have. Even with Virgin's BS it was still a major seller.

That's just my opinion though...and just something I mentioned randomly in relation to the bigger topic which is how Virgin fucked up the AFY era.

Those three along with TVR are Janet's career defining albums. AFY was just the nail on the coffin that solidified her status. TOF has no clue what he's talking about. In order for an album to be great, it needs to have great singles and great album tracks. TAT is one of the strongest album tracks on AFY, and it needed to stay that way or AFY would've been an album of singles. SMH @ TOF thinking that's okay. If that were the case AFY would've been no better than Good Girl Gone Bad. :sigh: YAR, TAT, Truth, FSR, WYM, and maybe CL are the best album tracks on AFY. Take away the singles, and you still have a decent album.

DJ, even if Superbowl didn't happen, was only gonna sell like 5 million max. There was no massive hit on the album. The fact that it did 3 million with no hits or a tour is nothing short of a miracle.

You are the one with no clue. :rolleyes:

It's a business FIRST. With the exception of TVR, every project Janet had released prior to AFY were "singles albums". Janet is/was a singles artist that could also sell albums. Which is what made her a force in the industry...and made her just prolific as Mike and Madonna (though Mike sold more albums and Madonna released almost 2x the output). She would be considered just as prolific if the fallout from the SB hadn't taken place.

You were clearly moved. B)

Umm, even Janet said it was the music of DJ that wasn't up to par. :umm: That's why it didn't sell, and I think I'll take Janet's opinion over yours considering it is HER music we're discussing here. :rolleyes:

Oh plz, I have enough clues to punch Velma out the game. :rolleyes: All of her albums up until TVR were not singles albums. :umm: She just had a lot of songs that could have worked as singles. Just because you release 6 or 7 singles from an album, doesn't mean it's a singles album. The singles from the albums all stuck together and made the album cohesive. TVR only had maybe 2 or 3 workable singles. With AFY, there were only 4 possible singles - AFY, STCML, DRM, and COGU.

You were clearly moved. B)

Umm, even Janet said it was the music of DJ that wasn't up to par. :umm: That's why it didn't sell, and I think I'll take Janet's opinion over yours considering it is HER music we're discussing here. :rolleyes:

Oh plz, I have enough clues to punch Velma out the game. :rolleyes: All of her albums up until TVR were not singles albums. :umm: She just had a lot of songs that could have worked as singles. Just because you release 6 or 7 singles from an album, doesn't mean it's a singles album. The singles from the albums all stuck together and made the album cohesive. TVR only had maybe 2 or 3 workable singles. With AFY, there were only 4 possible singles - AFY, STCML, DRM, and COGU.

Nope, clearly unmoved...as always. :excited:

Janet also said that just before the release of Discipline, if memory serves...I rest my case. :coffee:

:rolleyes::lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: @ the Velma reference.

:mellow: Girl bye! Janet was a singles artist. A singles artist that could move albums, but a singles artist nonetheless. Now there is nothing wrong with that especially when those singles are coming from projects like "Control" and RN...where almost anything released from the album could have been a single.

That's what made Mike and Janet's eras so damn long...the girls would have moved on releasing 2 or 3 albums, and Janet and Mike were STILL snatching them out the game releasing singles from a album that had already been out for two years. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Of course the industry and times changes, but there is no excuse (even if we disagree on the singles) that AFY only had three singles released and Virgin didn't work that album more.

You were so moved that you practically relocated. ^_^

Janet is FAAAAAR from a singles artist. :mellow: Don't you put my bitch on Rihanna's level. :mellow: I will get somebody in LA to fuck you up. :mellow: FHTF, Lonely, SIT, WAYN, and other album tracks have gotten radio airplay - FHTF is a quiet storm classic and WAYN hit the top 40 airplay charts without a release - proves that the public has been into Janet's albums as a whole, not just the singles. That proves she's an albums artist. She knows how to put together an album and make great songs. She's faaaar from a singles artist. :rolleyes:

That said, once again I will say that AFY should have come close to TVR's WW sales, and at least outsold TVR stateside. COGU could have pushed AFY to 4 million in the states. Lest we not forget, Janet was huge in 2001. She had the longest running #1 of the year, she had MTV Icon, great overseas performances, and one of the highest grossing tours that year. She was pretty big as far as I remember - I was only 14/15 at the time. As for TAT, releasing a rock song in a pop climate? Not a good idea.

You were so moved that you practically relocated. ^_^

Janet is FAAAAAR from a singles artist. :mellow: Don't you put my bitch on Rihanna's level. :mellow: I will get somebody in LA to fuck you up. :mellow: FHTF, Lonely, SIT, WAYN, and other album tracks have gotten radio airplay - FHTF is a quiet storm classic and WAYN hit the top 40 airplay charts without a release - proves that the public has been into Janet's albums as a whole, not just the singles. That proves she's an albums artist. She knows how to put together an album and make great songs. She's faaaar from a singles artist. :rolleyes:

That said, once again I will say that AFY should have come close to TVR's WW sales, and at least outsold TVR stateside. COGU could have pushed AFY to 4 million in the states. Lest we not forget, Janet was huge in 2001. She had the longest running #1 of the year, she had MTV Icon, great overseas performances, and one of the highest grossing tours that year. She was pretty big as far as I remember - I was only 14/15 at the time. As for TAT, releasing a rock song in a pop climate? Not a good idea.

33jpxyc.jpg

I didn't put Janet on Rihanna's level... :rolleyes: I didn't mean singles artist like Rihanna or any of the other lesser girls, where they have "great" singles, but nothing on the actual album. I'm saying Janet was known as the queen of singles. Asks the older fans they will confirm it. That was always the stance the Janet stans took whenever there was battle with the MJ and Madge fans (pre-DJ era). Mike sold more albums period, and Madonna had 2x the output, but Janet could release 87,000 singles per album (That was one of Janet's major marketing points back in the day, she had the most gold/platinum singles of any artist)...and STILL sold large numbers of albums, so when you considered all of that the three of them were almost on the same level in terms of sales.

So, yes Janet was an albums artist, and the label could release any track and have radio eating it up, but that also made Janet a "singles artist" and her projects "singles albums"...

As I said, times and the industry changes, but that still isn't any excuse for Virgin only releasing three singles from the AFY era.

I remember the AFY era and Janet was huge, but I also remember the fans frustration with Virgin and how they handled the singles...and then the era basically being over after SOAG. In retrospect, it was a good time in Janet's career (especially considering what was to come) but there were alot of people frustrated at that time.

Again, there were other types of music and artists having success in 2001. Bubblegum pop was the trend, and dominant, but not the ONLY thing selling at that time.

Which probably correlates to what Janet wanted to do with that era...release the "pop radio friendly stuff" (AFY, STCML) and then change things up a bit with stuff that was a bit more "out of the box" after she had gotten the "kids" that were into Britney, Nsync, BSB, etc into her brand (which is probably why SOAG was released instead of something more "safe" like COGU).

You were obviously moved, the gif of the baby moving just proves my point. Thanks. :thumbup:

I highly doubt the dream team went into the studio with the purpose of creating an album of singles, and throwing in filler tracks just to fill out the album. :rolleyes: I will say that they were probably conscious of what could be played on radio, but that was the risk Janet was willing to take and we saw that with the RN, SOTW, You, etc. As she said, Janet's focus was just making the music. Her albums just had a lot of radio friendly songs, and the fact that radio played album tracks and later turned them into quiet storm classics proves that she is an albums artist.

And regardless of what you think, TAT was not going to be some massive hit. The main thing selling during the AFY era was pop. That's why AFY and STCML did so well, and SOAD did nothing. Nobody was here for it. COGU was the only other song that would have worked. TAT was going to do the same thing SOAG did, maybe a little better.

You were obviously moved, the gif of the baby moving just proves my point. Thanks. :thumbup:

I highly doubt the dream team went into the studio with the purpose of creating an album of singles, and throwing in filler tracks just to fill out the album. :rolleyes: I will say that they were probably conscious of what could be played on radio, but that was the risk Janet was willing to take and we saw that with the RN, SOTW, You, etc. As she said, Janet's focus was just making the music. Her albums just had a lot of radio friendly songs, and the fact that radio played album tracks and later turned them into quiet storm classics proves that she is an albums artist.

And regardless of what you think, TAT was not going to be some massive hit. The main thing selling during the AFY era was pop. That's why AFY and STCML did so well, and SOAD did nothing. Nobody was here for it. COGU was the only other song that would have worked. TAT was going to do the same thing SOAG did, maybe a little better.

2a6msly.jpg

OBVIOUSLY...not...and I did NOT say or even allude to anything like that. :rolleyes:

I SAID she IS an albums artist, but the fact that she COULD release any track and have radio eating it up, also made Janet a "singles artist" and her projects "singles albums".

We've already agreed to disagree on TAT. :rolleyes: I think thing we can both agree on is that Virgin mishandled the AFY era as whole.

Great. Now that we've settled on the fact that you were moved, we can move on. ^_^

That doesn't mean it's a singles album. :rolleyes:

And we've agreed that I'm right, and we've disagreed that you're right. ^_^ The AFY should have been bigger than it was if it had COGU as a single, and maybe one other song. The same thing could have been said about 20YO. Had DI2M been released, 20 would have at least scanned platinum. It's clear COM sold all 679k copies of that album.

Great. Now that we've settled on the fact that you were moved, we can move on. ^_^

That doesn't mean it's a singles album. :rolleyes:

And we've agreed that I'm right, and we've disagreed that you're right. ^_^ The AFY should have been bigger than it was if it had COGU as a single, and maybe one other song. The same thing could have been said about 20YO. Had DI2M been released, 20 would have at least scanned platinum. It's clear COM sold all 679k copies of that album.

2nvy05s.jpg

It's not a singles album, in the literal sense, but it becomes one because of how the label treats it. Which made Janet a "singles artist" that could also move albums.

I didn't agree to that. :coffee:

After SOAG they should have released COGU and then possibly FSR and TAT. It says something the album sold what it did off of three singles, but also says alot about the potential the album had if they had pushed it more.

I don't want to discuss 20Y0. -_- You are right though. DITM, Enjoy, and GIOM (though I know that's an unpopular choice, lol)

Still moved? :unsure:

I don't think it necessarily makes it a single album, it just happens to be a radio friendly album. You have to have an ear for what can be played on radio. TAT is not a radio song. FSR, eh, it could work, but no guarantees. COGU was the only other single from the album. It could've been big like AFY, but not as big.

GIOM? Really TOF? :umm: DI2M would've been a hit on the R&B chart, maybe top 20 on the Hot 100. "Enjoy" would've been a nice adult R&B format single. Those two singles could've pushed the album to 1.2mil stateside imo.

Still moved? :unsure:

I don't think it necessarily makes it a single album, it just happens to be a radio friendly album. You have to have an ear for what can be played on radio. TAT is not a radio song. FSR, eh, it could work, but no guarantees. COGU was the only other single from the album. It could've been big like AFY, but not as big.

GIOM? Really TOF? :umm: DI2M would've been a hit on the R&B chart, maybe top 20 on the Hot 100. "Enjoy" would've been a nice adult R&B format single. Those two singles could've pushed the album to 1.2mil stateside imo.

a0wd1w.jpg

Yes, a radio friendly album that ultimately becomes a singles album, making Janet a singles artist. Again, there is nothing wrong it...I'm not using it in the same way as you would describe someone like Rihanna.

I have an ear for what for what would be played on the radio. :rolleyes:

TAT is somewhat "out of the box" but not so much that radio wouldn't be receptive to it. It's the type of single that probably won't make it to #1 and possibly not even top 5, but it opens Janet up to a different demographic and gives the album a broader appeal. Which, again, probably correlates with what Janet had in mind for that project.

Yes I personally LOVE GIOM. lol Though it's more pop, imo, and pop radio was COMPLETELY oblivious to anything she released at that time.

DI2M and Enjoy were more "urban" friendly, so those would have been the safer choices. Urban would have ate up DI2M.

Still posting gifs of ppl moving. Why address it when you practically point it out? :clapping:

I don't like how it sounds. :rolleyes: And if you had an ear for what could be played on radio, you wouldn't think that TAT would've been a successful single. Releasing a rock song in the midst of a pop climate is the recipe for disaster. It wouldn't have been smart, nor would it have sold the album.

GIOM wouldn't have worked as single. Once again proving that you don't have an ear for what could be played on radio. :sigh: COM was the obvious first single choice. Then DI2M should've followed. Then SEX, Enjoy to the adult market, and then maybe WU as a limited release. GIOM was just fine as an album track. Let me guess, you also think "This Body" could've been a smash? :rolleyes:

Still posting gifs of ppl moving. Why address it when you practically point it out? :clapping:

I don't like how it sounds. :rolleyes: And if you had an ear for what could be played on radio, you wouldn't think that TAT would've been a successful single. Releasing a rock song in the midst of a pop climate is the recipe for disaster. It wouldn't have been smart, nor would it have sold the album.

GIOM wouldn't have worked as single. Once again proving that you don't have an ear for what could be played on radio. :sigh: COM was the obvious first single choice. Then DI2M should've followed. Then SEX, Enjoy to the adult market, and then maybe WU as a limited release. GIOM was just fine as an album track. Let me guess, you also think "This Body" could've been a smash? :rolleyes:

4lohok.jpg

There's nothing wrong with. The stans even referred to Janet as a "singles artist" back in the day...the problem is now it's taken on a different/negative connotation.

AGAIN, pop was en vogue and dominant, but NOT the only thing being played or finding success on the charts. Hell, Alica Keys debuted in 2001.

If Janet wasn't blacklisted on pop radio, it could have worked...and I didn't say anything about "This Body" :rolleyes: