The Janet Jackson Sales Thread

Mr. Wonder

4lohok.jpg

There's nothing wrong with. The stans even referred to Janet as a "singles artist" back in the day...the problem is now it's taken on a different/negative connotation.

AGAIN, pop was en vogue and dominant, but NOT the only thing being played or finding success on the charts. Hell, Alica Keys debuted in 2001.

If Janet wasn't blacklisted on pop radio, it could have worked...and I didn't say anything about "This Body" :rolleyes:

Will you stop being so moved so we can have a discussion? :mellow:

I still don't like the sound of it. It just makes her seem like so much less than she is. But in any event, Alicia debuted doing R&B/Pop. :rolleyes: I don't know why you wont accept that pop was the dominant market during the time AFY was released. :sigh: Anything pop was gonna sell. Hell even Jessica Simpson had some success. :wacko: It would've been stupid of Virgin to release TAT and put money behind it, only for them to not see a profit, let alone break even on their investment.

With your "radio ear" it wouldn't surprise me if you did think "This Body" could've worked on radio. :rolleyes: The only other two singles from 20YO were DI2M and Enjoy. Although I remember TC getting airplay in certain cities.

Will you stop being so moved so we can have a discussion? :mellow:

I still don't like the sound of it. It just makes her seem like so much less than she is. But in any event, Alicia debuted doing R&B/Pop. :rolleyes: I don't know why you wont accept that pop was the dominant market during the time AFY was released. :sigh: Anything pop was gonna sell. Hell even Jessica Simpson had some success. :wacko: It would've been stupid of Virgin to release TAT and put money behind it, only for them to not see a profit, let alone break even on their investment.

With your "radio ear" it wouldn't surprise me if you did think "This Body" could've worked on radio. :rolleyes: The only other two singles from 20YO were DI2M and Enjoy. Although I remember TC getting airplay in certain cities.

51r52g.jpg

Because of the negative connotation the girls have given it now. :rolleyes:

What Alicia was doing was VERY different from the dominant teen pop, but she found audience...and sold VERY well. That is the point, even when a "trend" is dominant there's still room for other types of music to chart well. That's ALWAYS been the case...so TAT could have worked. It was stupid of Virgin to end a HUGE album like AFY only three singles into the project. THAT was dumb as hell.

Again, I didn't saying anything about "This Body" :rolleyes:

Yes, DI2M, Enjoy, and GIOM (if pop radio hadn't blacklisted her). :yep: I remember some stations playing TC too. :wub:

I blame all yall hoes.. :coffee:

I didn't even do anything. <_<

I don't know why TOF just wont accept that I'm right. :sigh: I think even Henri agreed that he's wrong. :unsure:

Henrietta only disagreed with my opinion concerning the SB. Everything else he agreed with. :coffee:

Shocking. :coffee:

I don't know why yall just don't fuck and get it over with.. :rolleyes: *plays Would You Mind to get yall in the mood* :whistle:

:excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

Please don't give that child any ideas. :sigh:

25alwgi.jpg

:unsure:

51r52g.jpg

Because of the negative connotation the girls have given it now. :rolleyes:

What Alicia was doing was VERY different from the dominant teen pop, but she found audience...and sold VERY well. That is the point, even when a "trend" is dominant there's still room for other types of music to chart well. That's ALWAYS been the case...so TAT could have worked. It was stupid of Virgin to end a HUGE album like AFY only three singles into the project. THAT was dumb as hell.

Again, I didn't saying anything about "This Body" :rolleyes:

Yes, DI2M, Enjoy, and GIOM (if pop radio hadn't blacklisted her). :yep: I remember some stations playing TC too. :wub:

And now you're using other pplz gifs? :sighs: :heavysigh:

It still doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

What Alicia was doing wasn't too far left field than what was being played. It was R&B, but her album had pop stylings. You can hear it in "Fallin", among other songs. Plus she didn't really have any competition, in regards to sharing an audience with another act. That said, there is room for another sound on radio, but when everyone is in China you don't go to France. You go with something that's similar to what's being played on radio. TAT was not it. That's why it wasn't a single. :rolleyes:

"This Body" was in reference to your "radio ear". Let me guess, you think "Who" could've been a smash hit too during the AFY era? :rolleyes:

And now you're using other pplz gifs? :sighs: :heavysigh:

It still doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

What Alicia was doing wasn't too far left field than what was being played. It was R&B, but her album had pop stylings. You can hear it in "Fallin", among other songs. Plus she didn't really have any competition, in regards to sharing an audience with another act. That said, there is room for another sound on radio, but when everyone is in China you don't go to France. You go with something that's similar to what's being played on radio. TAT was not it. That's why it wasn't a single. :rolleyes:

"This Body" was in reference to your "radio ear". Let me guess, you think "Who" could've been a smash hit too during the AFY era? :rolleyes:

For once this is a gif that I introduced on the forum....other people stole it from me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, it does. The negative connotation it now has is what's influencing your opinion. :rolleyes:

EXACTLY... why? Because the DOMINANT trend was bubblegum pop...and compared to the trend what she was doing (and having HUGE success with) was VASTLY different. My point the whole time.. yes bubblegum pop was dominant, but as always with trends in music, there's always other genres/types of music that chart well. Hell, the Janet. album released during the height of the grunge era.

Janet is a artist that takes risks...a COMMERCIAL artist who definitely wants success, but who is a risk taker nonetheless. The whole VR period was a risk, that almost failed...but thanks to TA and the tour things turned around. Sometimes a risk pays off sometimes it doesnt..

For once this is gif that I introduced on the forum....other people stole it from me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, it does. The negative connotation it now has is what's influencing your opinion. :rolleyes:

EXACTLY... why? Because the DOMINANT trend was bubblegum pop...and compared to the trend what she was doing (and having HUGE success with) was VASTLY different. My point the whole time.. yes bubblegum pop was dominant, but as always with trends in music, there's always other genres/types of music that chart well. Hell, the Janet. album released during the height of the grunge era.

Janet is artist who takes risks...a COMMERCIAL artist who definitely wants success, but it's a risk taker nonetheless The whole VR period was a risk, that almost failed...but thanks to TA and the tour things turned around. Sometimes a risk pays off sometimes it doesnt..

Receipts please? :rolleyes: I don't believe you people. And when I say "you people", I mean that in the most sexist way possible. :rolleyes:

Can you really sit there with your tears, all alone with your fears, and think TAT would've been a hit? I mean, let's be real. :rolleyes: It needed to stay as an album track to keep the album stronger. This was the problem with the janet. album. Once you take away the singles, you're not left with much. And the janet. album and the grunge sound are two totally different audiences. There's no overlapping of audiences. I see what you're saying, but rock music has never been a force on the charts. They sell regardless. Even if you look at the charts from the early 90s up until the janet. album, pop, R&B, and dance were the juggernauts. And anyway, by '93, R&B was becoming pop. TAT is just a little bit too left field and wouldn't have done much on the charts. That was the problem with SOAG. Too different and dark. That's what TAT gives.

I kinda disagree about TAT tho. I don't think it would have been a big hit, but it was certainly more radio friendly than SOAG

You think TAT is radio friendly? :lol: Neither TAT or SOAG are radio friendly songs. You can hardly make out what Janet is saying.

I think the only radio friendly song after DRM, STCML and AFY is COAG.

Receipts please? :rolleyes: I don't believe you people. And when I say "you people", I mean that in the most sexist way possible. :rolleyes:

Can you really sit there with your tears, all alone with your fears, and think TAT would've been a hit? I mean, let's be real. :rolleyes: It needed to stay as an album track to keep the album stronger. This was the problem with the janet. album. Once you take away the singles, you're not left with much. And the janet. album and the grunge sound are two totally different audiences. There's no overlapping of audiences. I see what you're saying, but rock music has never been a force on the charts. They sell regardless. Even if you look at the charts from the early 90s up until the janet. album, pop, R&B, and dance were the juggernauts. And anyway, by '93, R&B was becoming pop. TAT is just a little bit too left field and wouldn't have done much on the charts. That was the problem with SOAG. Too different and dark. That's what TAT gives.

I don't have any receipts, but I was the first to use it...I've seen OWN (or whatever his s/n is now, lol) and jbailey use it, but I was the first person to use it on the forum.

TOO MUCH as always... :sigh::lmao: :lmao:

Of course grunge and the Janet. album were different audiences that is the point tho. Different genres can and usually do co-exist on the charts. TAT wasn't some radically different sound. It was out of the box considering the dominant trend, but it wasn't an extreme new sound.

You think TAT is radio friendly? :lol: Neither TAT or SOAG are radio friendly songs. You can hardly make out what Janet is saying.

I think the only radio friendly song after DRM, STCML and AFY is COAG.

Not really but I would have chose it over SOAG is what I was saying. I agree about GOGU being the obvious next choice though & the radio friendly singles you outlined.

I don't have any receipts, but I was the first to use it...I've seen OWN (or whatever his s/n is now, lol) and jbailey use it, but I was the first person to use it on the forum.

TOO MUCH as always... :sigh::lmao: :lmao:

Of course grunge and the Janet. album were different audiences that is the point tho. Different genres can and usually do co-exist on the charts. TAT wasn't some radically different sound. It was out of the box considering the dominant trend, but it wasn't an extreme new sound.

I don't believe you. :rolleyes:

I never do too much. It's always just enough, you just can't take....among other things. 71.gif And i just don't think your argument is logical. Rock, like Country, has never been a huge force on the Hot 100, but they still sell well. A better argument would have been like "Single Ladies" being a huge hit in the midst of an electro/pop era. TAT wouldn't have worked. -_- It's just too far left field.