The Official Lady Gaga Thread

Aquaria

I guess Natali Germanotta is Lady Gaga's sister's name, I looked it up. Lol, she actually does sound pretty good, possibly better than Gaga :lol:

Yeah, Natali is her sister's name, but are we even sure that this is her? 'Cause I haven't heard it mentioned anywhere else. Could just be someone claiming to be her sister to get attention.

Yeah, Natali is her sister's name, but are we even sure that this is her? 'Cause I haven't heard it mentioned anywhere else. Could just be someone claiming to be her sister to get attention.

Good question, I haven't heard anything about it anywhere either. Then again, I don't really check up on Gaga related stuff ever. Judging by vocals, it sounds like it could indeed be her sister -- there's a few times I think she sounded Gaga-esque. That doesn't mean much though, because anyone could sound like her. -_- In any event, I'm actually diggin' the track. :lol:

• 2 months later...

Rolling Stone 4 Star Review for Born This Way

It's one thing to sing about a motorcycle, and it's another to sing about a unicorn. But when you put your motorcycle song and your unicorn song in the same song? And call it "Highway Unicorn (Road to Love)"? Now that's a pop visionary. Lady Gaga knew it was time to crank up the crazy, and she didn't hold back: Born This Way is her Eighties arena-rock move, going for maximum goth Catholic bombast. The whole album thumps like the soundtrack to a lost Eddie and the Cruisers sequel, one where Eddie gets crucified by Roman soldiers, while Gaga stands under the cross weeping and sending dirty texts to the DJ.

Born This Way has all the electro-sleaze beats and Eurodisco chorus chants that made her the Fame Monster. But the big surprise is the way Gaga pillages the Bon Jovi, Pat Benatar and Eddie Money records of her childhood. In the 1980s, radio was full of tormented Catholic kids, from Madonna to Springsteen. Gaga clearly grew up on that stuff. She doesn't just give her Springsteen homage "The Edge of Glory" a sax solo – she gets Clarence Clemons himself to play it.

All over Born This Way, she takes on the big topics dear to her heart: sex, religion, muscle cars, her hair. She sings in French, German, Spanish and whatever language wants to claim "punk-tious." She seduces men, women, deities and dead presidents. ("Put your hands on me/John F. Kennedy" – hey, it rhymes.) And in "Heavy Metal Lover," Gaga purrs the immortal pickup line "I want your whiskey mouth/All over my blond south."

Some songs are already familiar – at this point you could hum the Tarzan-boy yodels of "Judas" in your sleep. But the singles gain resonance on the album, where they're surrounded by similar-minded psychosexual turmoil. "Born This Way" pulls an expert bitch-stole-my-look on Madonna's "Express Yourself." But that isn't even the most brazen Madonna rip here: That honor goes to "Judas." And if you thought the Catholic angst of "Judas" was over-the-top, check out "Bloody Mary," where Gaga does the Stations of the Cross to a Chic bass line.

What makes Born This Way so disarmingly great is how warm and humane Gaga sounds. There isn't a subtle moment on the album, but even at its nuttiest, the music is full of wide-awake emotional details. The friendliest cut is "Yoü & I," her love song to a "cool Nebraska guy." She has been playing it live for a while, but who knew she would let Mutt Lange put "We Will Rock You" drums all over it? Or bring in Queen's Brian May to play guitar?

All that excess just amps up the emotion in the song, especially when Gaga wails, "There's only three men that I'm-a serve my whole life/It's my daddy and Nebraska and Jesus Christ." Gaga loves overheated cosmic statements for the same reason she loves dance pop and metal guitars – because she hears them as echoes of her twisted rock & roll heart. That's the achievement of Born This Way: The more excessive Gaga gets, the more honest she sounds.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/born-this-way-20110520

Lady Gaga's promotional blitz for new album offers new business model

By Nekesa Mumbi Moody, The Associated Press – 1 hour ago

NEW YORK, N.Y. — The release of a pop star's album usually comes with the typical cross-marketing splash — strategic magazine covers, a few major TV appearances, and perhaps a cosmetics or fashion deal to remind the public a new project awaits.

Yet the social media-powered blitz connected to this week's drop of Lady Gaga's third album, "Born This Way," is bordering on epic, with partnerships ranging from Starbucks to FarmVille, and virtual giveaways of the album's 17 tracks. It also represents the kind of bold, new business model that could help rejuvenate a deflated music industry.

Gaga already had a slew of magazine covers, from Rolling Stone to Vogue, and appeared on every high profile show, from Oprah Winfrey to "American Idol" to "Saturday Night Live," as well as her own HBO concert special.

But she hasn't stopped there. Starbucks — typically home to easy-on-the-ears artists like Emmylou Harris — is selling her album as well as launching a "digital scavenger hunt" for Gaga-inspired goods; Google Chrome debuted a commercial with Gaga with a track from the album; the online fashion outlet Gilt Groupe partnered with Gaga to offer Gaga-inspired clothing and VIP performances; Best Buy is giving away the album to anyone who purchases a mobile phone with a contract; and Zynga, creator of the popular online game "FarmVille," created "GagaVille," which allowed fans access to exclusive Gaga songs.

As if that wasn't enough, on Monday, Amazon.com sold "Born This Way" for just 99 cents as a promotion for their new music cloud service, creating a demand so strong it disrupted the online retailing giant's servers for a time.

And it looks like the campaigns are paying off: Gaga's album is estimated to sell anywhere between a half-million to a million copies when the top album charts are revealed next week.

"It was really about expanding the distribution on this album and going into as many non-traditional retail partnerships and non-traditional marketing partnerships as possible," Gaga's manager, Troy Carter, told The Associated Press on Tuesday. "Just with the diminishing music labels, you want to find quality partners where you know you can reach new audiences and being able to push boundaries as well."

Among the promotions connected with "Born This Way" is the Disney Mobile Tapulous game Tap Tap Revenge, which gives fans access to the entire album and other content if they buy the game,"Born This Way Revenge," for $4.99. It's the first time Tapulous has put out 17 tracks with a game for that price.

Tim O'Brien, vice-president of business development at Disney Mobile, said this was the third deal with Gaga, resulting in the total sale of five million songs so far.

While they've worked with other pop artists with their Tap Tap Revenge app, he said Gaga — who has 10 million followers on Twitter and was recently crowned Forbes' most influential celebrity in part because of her tens of millions of followers online — is an act with unique appeal.

"I've never seen anything as powerful as when Gaga hits her social media channels compared to anyone else that we've worked with," he said. "I've never seen anything like it in terms of how she's utilizing social media."

In pop history, there have been plenty of attention-grabbing publicity campaigns for debuting albums: Who can forget the huge statues Jackson had erected of himself and placed across the world for his "HIStory" album, or when the Backstreet Boys hit six continents in four days to promote "Black and Blue"? Then there was Jay-Z, who performed in seven cities in 17-hours for his comeback album, "Kingdom Come."

But Bill Werde, editorial director of Billboard, calls Gaga's promotional efforts "more of a landmark campaign" for the new music industry.

"There's nothing about Gaga that's subtle, so I don't see why her marketing campaign would be any different," he added.

One of the more unusual promotions was Amazon's decision to sell the MP3 version of Gaga's album for 99 cents on Monday, the day of its release, as part of its Amazon Cloud Drive, which gives consumers personal digital storage space on a remote network or cloud; 20 gigabytes of cloud space came with the album. However, there was such a demand it caused delays for Amazon's customers, a spokeswoman said.

Though some people questioned the decision to basically give the album away, Carter wasn't concerned at all, calling the promotional idea "incredible."

"I am more concerned about piracy and people stealing the music. If you can get somebody to experience the music at that sort of price for one day only, I think it gets a lot of attention for the album," he added.

Werde said that's key in an age where album sales are deflated and serve more as a promotional tool for the artist's other money-making projects, including touring, in an industry more focused on what is called the 360-model of generating revenue.

"It's one of first big superstar releases that really grasps the potential of the new music business that everybody is talking about," he said. "For a superstar artist like a Gaga, the sale of recorded music — not the quality of the music, mind you, but the sale of recorded music— really gets sort of assumed as a marketing cost to drive this 360-engine."

Carter says his data indicates Gaga may sell over 500,000 copies in the first week, and perhaps 700,000; Werde said "Born This Way" could go as high as one million.

But Carter says the unique marketing tools used leading up to and during the album's release wasn't just to achieve monster sales for the album's debut.

"Nobody ever pays attention in the second week," he said. "For us it's about being in this album cycle for the next 18 to 24 months."

It seems Gaga-mania won't be easing anytime soon.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jFftnac5Z-Zd7qKSvPqF0pTyFFzA?docId=6951205

The industry needs her to sell because as a whole the industry is sinking. They need to create a phenomenon to get people interested in buying her album. Same thing happened when Thriller came out. The industry was in a slump in the early 80s and MJ gave them a huge record and all of a sudden folks were buying albums again.

Oh look it's another person in the pool of gaga delusion.

Taylor swifts latest album sold more than a million in her first week...did she save the industry? No.

But ofcourse nobody makes out she did. Wake up ffs nuk.

And Taylor didn't have to sell her album for 99 cents.

She didn't price it at 99 cent, it was Amazon - they wanted to compete with iTunes.

Right.

Most people don't understand that Amazon purchased it from the label at regular price, and sold at a loss. It was their marketing decision to sell it for that price.

But you only get to keep it for a day then it goes away. In this age of illegal downloads the idea might prove to be genius. :thumbup:

But it gives piraters even more incentive to make the album freely available online because it's so cheap.

Unless they find a way to control Internet downloading, the music industry will continue to circle down the drain.

>_<

GAGA FLIRTS WITH A MILLION

Huge Digital Blow-Out, Non-Trad Retail Leads to First-Week Sales of 900-950k

May 25, 2011

She was “Born” to sell downloads. With a massive rollout orchestrated by Interscope’s Steve Berman and manager Troy Carter, Lady Gaga’s Born This Way will debut at #1 next week with the year’s biggest sales total, between 900-950k. That would be the largest debut since Taylor Swift’s Speak Now scored 1.04 million last October.

In a watershed moment for the business, as much as 500k of that total will be digital, thanks in large part to Amazon’s price-busting 99 cent sale on Monday. Estimates are that Gaga’s album broke Coldplay’s previous one-week digital record of 288k on the first day, with an estimated 400k being sold across all digital formats in the first 24 hours. It’s clear the strategy of saturating non-traditional retail worked wonders.

Arista Nashville superstar Brad Paisley’s This Is Country Music, the 10th album since bursting onto the scene in 1999, is on target for an opening week of 145-155k.

Columbia’s Glee Cast Volume 6 will debut with between 80-85k, while Warner Bros.’ Maybach Music Group Presents: Self Made, Vol. 1, the Rick Ross-founded label previously with Def Jam, will do in the 50-55k range.

Columbia/Jive/Legacy’s NKOTBSB, the joining of New Kids and Backstreet Boys, should do 35-40k on the heels of their blockbuster tour.

Finally, Startime Intl./Columbia’s Foster the People, SoCal’s answer to MGMT, debut with Torches, which is in the 25-30k range, fueled by the alternative hit, “Pumped Up Kicks.”

The market was down 5% vs. last week, up 2% vs. same week last year and still down 1% year to date, with Gaga ensuring the business will climb into the black for the first time in memory. Can upcoming releases like Beyonce, Lady Antebellum, Lil Wayne, Jackie Evancho and the elusive Dr. Dre help sustain the momentum when the biz goes up against last year’s first weeks from Drake and Eminem?