The Janet Jackson Accomplishments Thread

Mr. Wonder

I'm not sure who bullied you as a child, but you need to let that hurt go. 

And you say this while discussing Control being included in a womens GOAT albums list at number 17 out of 150 albums.  If anything, janet. is the weakest link of Janet's signature four. It's the least cohesive and unnecessarily long. The concept is not as developed as on Control. Furthermore, it does not have the significance of Control, RN1814, or TVR when it comes to career-defining artistic output, notoriety, critical praise, or legacy. 

And I don't know whose not giving you enough love & life to know janet. Shits on Control, but it'll happen, I once too was in a confused place of thinking Control's better. Then love happened and my eyes ears & heart opened to the truth of things, youll get there.

Control made the list based on it being exactly what I said, a starting point, same for the artistic output, notoriety, critical praise & legacy, all for being the starter, not for being better than any of her other work. Calling it the weakest link when undeniably it is better than Control because of all I listed (more artistic input from Janet, runs through more genres so showing how talented and marketable she is in most realms of music, better vocals, and lets not even get into which sounds timeless & which sounds like 1986 or the 1 with not only more successful singles but lives on in samples, references etc, in a way Control MOSTLY does for being a starting point) is just honoring what it represents. Het writing contribution for control was from conversations...that Jimmy & Terry turned into song....thats nice, and respectable, but that alone takes it out of the way for the mighty RN-janet.-TVR masterpieces that Janet was involved on every level for creatively

Edited by jarrylf

I just realized he suggested that AFY is better than Control. What is going on with today's youth? :sigh:

The only other albums that has a chance at Control's legacy, impact, iconography, etc. is RN and to a lesser extent, TVR.  Goddess. is great but like some said, it's too long and has fillers.

No other albums come close.

• Upvote 5

The only other albums that has a chance at Control's legacy, impact, iconography, etc. is RN and to a lesser extent, TVR.  Goddess. is great but like some said, it's too long and has fillers.

Janet. has way too much filler and its overproduced, songs that didn't sound that great then and certainly aren't noteworthy now. AFY lack cohesiveness, I know some gonna get in their feelings here, but after COGU, you can lose the next three tracks IMO :coffee:

Edited by Bailey.
  • Upvote 1

Janet. has way too much filler and its overproduced, songs that didn't sound that great then and certainly aren't noteworthy now. AFY lack cohesiveness, I know some gonna get in their feelings here, but after COGU, you can lose the next three tracks IMO :coffee:

When We Oooo is epic and a fan favorite... WYM is legendary. China Love is deep as fuck and Love Scene is very Classic Janet with a modern twist.. the rest of the album (excluding SOAG) is better than Damita Jo - Discipline 

• Upvote 2

When We Oooo is epic and a fan favorite... WYM is legendary. China Love is deep as fuck and Love Scene is very Classic Janet with a modern twist.. the rest of the album (excluding SOAG) is better than Damita Jo - Discipline 

AFY is a great pop album, however I can only go with my instincts and actions, on first listen on my commute to work in Detroit, I cried I was so disappointed in those three slow Sade reject tracks....fan favorite or not, after you scalped me on COGU, you dropped me ...its only once I reach Trust a Try that life is given back...not to mention placing three slow tempo songs at the beginning of a Janet album was not in keeping with any previous work

Edited by Bailey.
  • Upvote 1

Recording[edit]

157px-Pharrell_performing_September_2008
149px-Basement_Jaxx.jpg

Jackson planned to record with The Neptunes and Basement Jaxx during the album's initial stages.

All for You marked the first time Jackson enlisted additional producers aside from Jam & Lewis since the release of her breakthrough Control, collaborating with Rockwilder. After recording exclusively with the duo, Jackson felt the desire to recruit new talent, explaining "I think it was The Velvet Rope that brought all of that to some sort of completion for me... it was very cathartic for me doing that — I felt it was OK to go out and explore other producers." She pursued Rockwilder upon hearing Method Man and Redman's single "Da Rockwilder", desiring uptempo productions in a similar vein.[6] Jackson also collaborated with The Neptunes, being among the first artists to work with the production team. Several confirmed titles included "Boys," "Ecstasy," "My Big Secret," and "What It Is."[7][8] However, the songs did not make the final album, with "Boys" later recorded by Britney Spears and "What It Is" recorded by Kelis. Spears released "Boys" as a single in remix form with Pharrell Williams, referencing Jackson's hit "Nasty" during several lines and citing it as her favorite song to perform.[9] Additionally, Spears' single "I'm a Slave 4 U" was originally written and produced for the album.[10] "My Big Secret" was later recorded for Spears' In the Zone album, though wasn't released.[8]

Upon expressing admiration for the Basement Jaxx's debut album Remedy, Jackson contacted the house duo to collaborate.[11] Jackson was offered to record the Jaxx's single "Get Me Off" for the album, though declined.[12][13] She would later record several unreleased songs with them for her following album, Damita Jo.[14] An unreleased collaboration with Jay-Z was recorded.[15]Outkast also featured on an unreleased remix of "Someone to Call My Lover".[16] Jackson had planned to record a duet with Aaliyah, intended to appear on All for You in addition to Aaliyah's self-titled album released several months later, though was unable to proceed due to scheduling conflicts.[17] A collaboration with Missy Elliott titled "Nasty Girl 2000," an updated cover of Jackson's hit "Nasty," was intended to feature Jackson and additional vocals from Aaliyah, but was not recorded.[18] Jackson also desired to collaborate with British singer Robbie Williams.[19] The album intended to feature a house and hip hop direction during its early stages, with other potential collaborators including Dallas Austin, Swizz Beatz, Diddy, Missy Elliott, Teddy Riley, Kandi Burruss, and Darrell "Delite" Allamby.[20][21] However, the collaborations did not come to fruition due to scheduling conflicts while filming and periodic illness throughout recording. An unreleased song titled "New Beginning" appeared in initial press releases but was not included on the album.[3]

And I don't know whose not giving you enough love & life to know janet. Shits on Control, but it'll happen, I once too was in a confused place of thinking Control's better. Then love happened and my eyes ears & heart opened to the truth of things, youll get there.

Control made the list based on it being exactly what I said, a starting point, same for the artistic output, notoriety, critical praise & legacy, all for being the starter, not for being better than any of her other work. Calling it the weakest link when undeniably it is better than Control because of all I listed (more artistic input from Janet, runs through more genres so showing how talented and marketable she is in most realms of music, better vocals, and lets not even get into which sounds timeless & which sounds like 1986 or the 1 with not only more successful singles but lives on in samples, references etc, in a way Control MOSTLY does for being a starting point) is just honoring what it represents. Het writing contribution for control was from conversations...that Jimmy & Terry turned into song....thats nice, and respectable, but that alone takes it out of the way for the mighty RN-janet.-TVR masterpieces that Janet was involved on every level for creatively

Control made the list because of its greatness and significance. The album literally gave rise to the New Jack Swing sound, which created a template for countless artists to find success in the late 80s. Additionally, the album is a quintessential crossover hit going from R&B to Pop, which was also instrumental to NJS artists finding crossover success. Those two aspects alone make it more significant than janet.. The concept of Control is more developed through intimacy, safe sex/abstinence, feminist undertones/overtones, self-proclamation, etc. janet.'s tracks lose focus with NA, WID, FBB, TBLY, and WN. And for the record, Janet's voice is better on Control than on janet. The album continues to be a source of artistic inspiration in the sense of labels use it as a template for a "coming of age" marketing. 

And this is something I wish people would realize. Control and RN1814 are Janet's signature albums and eras. Remember back in the day when I called TVR overrated, and everyone hated me? Now here we are, and we see Control and RN1814 popping up on these lists left and right while janet. and TVR are few and far between. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

AFY is a great pop album, however I can only go with my instincts and actions, on first listen on my commute to work in Detroit, I cried I was so disappointed in those three slow Sade reject tracks....fan favorite or not, after you scalped me on COGU, you dropped me ...its only once I reach Trust a Try that life is given back...not to mention placing three slow tempo songs at the beginning of a Janet album was not in keeping with any previous work

Wooooo.

tumblr_m5o0jlYRnj1rybdyvo1_r1_500.gif

• Upvote 2

I have recused myself. I am biased -_- 

But if I wasn’t.. here’s the scoop:

AFY is definitely above janet. But below Control if we were to rank them. The janet. album had way more fillers and useless interludes. That era birth Whoops Now for god’s sake

Edited by State of the Game

I have recused myself. I am biased -_- 

But if I wasn’t.. here’s the scoop:

AFY is definitely above janet. But below Control if we were to rank them. The janet. album had way more fillers and useless interludes. That era birth Whoops Now for god’s sake

I think with the signing to Virgin and it being the biggest album contract at its time, there was a lot of pressure to make a great Janet album, instead we ended up with lots of songs that didnt hold up, "This Time" monotonous to all hell, "Funky Big Band" a poor man's "Alright" ..."New Agenda" dated and noisy. I do think "What"ll I Do" is a good track but I like the Dave Navarro remix a ton more

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x32f6nh 

Edited by Bailey.
  • Upvote 1

I think with the signing to Virgin and it being the biggest album contract at its time, there was a lot of pressure to make a great Janet album, instead we ended up with lots of songs that didnt hold up, "This Time" monotonous to all hell, "Funky Big Band" a poor man's "Alright" ..."New Agenda" dated and noisy. I do think "What"ll I Do" is a good track but I like the Dave Navarro remix a ton more

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x32f6nh 

This is the first time hearing this mix. I love it!!!! This would probably would have been serviceable to radio than the album version (I think that the drums and guitars could have been moved around to flow better) . While I can appreciate the song for having some of Janet's rawest vocals,I can admit it did serve more so as a filler.

Edited by Illi
  • Upvote 1

Control made the list because of its greatness and significance. The album literally gave rise to the New Jack Swing sound, which created a template for countless artists to find success in the late 80s. Additionally, the album is a quintessential crossover hit going from R&B to Pop, which was also instrumental to NJS artists finding crossover success. Those two aspects alone make it more significant than janet.. The concept of Control is more developed through intimacy, safe sex/abstinence, feminist undertones/overtones, self-proclamation, etc. janet.'s tracks lose focus with NA, WID, FBB, TBLY, and WN. And for the record, Janet's voice is better on Control than on janet. The album continues to be a source of artistic inspiration in the sense of labels use it as a template for a "coming of age" marketing. 

Yet the list itself insists it made the list because of what it did, not how it holds up or even that its better than any album that followed. We all know the greatness of the impact, but we're talking the albums themselves. Controls used as a template for breakout albums, not for modern sound. Im sorry but I dont hear most non-Janet fans saying "Control is my favorite album because of its impact". Thriller is arguably the most influential album of all time but to be a fan of it JUST for that is frivolous and kinda basic. And the harmonies in janet alone showcase more vocal variety than Control, and thats simply put what makes it better it gives more variety, it takes more chances, its her going growing the seed thats Control, the 1st step..a great 1st step, but definitely a 1st 

This is the first time hearing this mix. I love it!!!! This would probably would have been serviceable to radio than the album version (I think that the drums and guitars could have been moved around to flow better) . While I can appreciate the song for having some of Janet's rawest vocals,I can admit it did serve more so as a filler.

I do miss the CD days, because I bought everything Janet, so a lot of remixes out there that are fucking hot! :excited:

Subjective

Damita Jo has too many cooks and it’s very hit or miss 

Nope Damita Jo was good and I love that she experimented. Janet's is very versatile and without her exploring we probably would've never gotten gems like "SloLove" or "Island Life". You took that quote from Jimmy Jam himself when he said Damita Jo was hard to listen to cause there was too many cooks. He didn't have an open mind

• Upvote 1

Nope Damita Jo was good and I love that she experimented. Janet's is very versatile and without her exploring we probably would've never gotten gems like "SloLove" or "Island Life". You took that quote from Jimmy Jam himself when he said Damita Jo was hard to listen to cause there was too many cooks. He didn't have an open mind

It was good but not AFY good. 

Yes you can nitpick tracks but overall it was weaker than its predecessor 

Jimmy said the same thing about that album in 2016.. + the album lacked a theme. Or maybe it had a weak theme.. Nothing personal on that album. Just random songs on an album

And Jimmy’s opinion on his work >> you or any other fan

Edited by State of the Game