The Janet Jackson Accomplishments Thread

Mr. Wonder

That AMA performance was not a tribute. It was promo for Number Ones.:unsure:

Right! This performance had nothing to do with MJ!!! I wish they would stop linking Janet's greatest moments to Mj. She is a separate artist all to herself. I understand he was her brother and he is/was huge but she deserves credit for her own success without always being linked to him. This is done way too much.

• Upvote 2

Billboard: The 100 Best Deep Cuts by 21st Century Pop Stars: Critics' Picks

27. Janet Jackson, "LUV" (Discipline, 2008)

When Janet Jackson says she's in love, you best believe she's in LUV, L-U-V. For this Discipline almost-single, she feels the emotional crash so acutely she spends most of the song comparing it to a literal car accident, with Rodney Jerkins' blaring synths sounding like the police and ambulance sirens collecting around her as she lies in motionless rapture. "He hit me with his love," is all she can comment from her ecstatic daze, and no traffic cop would dare interfere.  -- A.U.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/8039437/best-pop-album-tracks-21st-century-deep-cuts

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is just a receipt for the dumb hoes when they claim the "janet." album didn't sell 20 million copies. Richard Branson said it himself on his facebook last year. I'm only bringing this up cause some dumb Bey fans tried claiming it was a lie and that they needed receipts so here it is for anybody's use. I also had to go to Janet's wikipedia page and edit it cause some dummy still had it at 14 million.

https://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/signing-janet-jackson

This is just a receipt for the dumb hoes when they claim the "janet." album didn't sell 20 million copies. Richard Branson said it himself on his facebook last year. I'm only bringing this up cause some dumb Bey fans tried claiming it was a lie and that they needed receipts so here it is for anybody's use. I also had to go to Janet's wikipedia page and edit it cause some dummy still had it at 14 million.

And there lies the problem...

IRRfo7Z.gif

• Upvote 1

1. This is in the wrong thread. :sigh:

2. The receipt is already posted in the thread this should be posted in.

3. It's not even that serious. Calm down. :rolleyes:

4. I need you to learn how the threads work or don't use them at all. :rolleyes:

5. Don't get slapped. :sigh:

• Upvote 1

1. This is in the wrong thread. :sigh:

2. The receipt is already posted in the thread this should be posted in.

3. It's not even that serious. Calm down. :rolleyes:

4. I need you to learn how the threads work or don't use them at all. :rolleyes:

5. Don't get slapped. :sigh:

And you claim i'm the one that does the most when this is prime example of who really does the most. All that ass had to do was provide what I asked for.

huh_zpsrmhtbtsh.jpg

Edited by JoeJoe
  • Upvote 1

And you claim i'm the one that does the most when this is prime example of who really does the most. All that ass had to do was provide what I asked for.

huh_zpsrmhtbtsh.jpg

First of all calm down, it's folks getting popped for less. Second of all, that picture wasn't even necessary. And third, you didn't even ask a question. JoeJoe, please don't irritate me on a Friday. It's about to snow. :rolleyes:

:lmao::lmao:

Austin, you have to give Joe credit.  He's responding back in a timely manner.  Not months or years like he normally does.

YSej1uF.gif

The first reply is often within the day. The second is usually after a new moon. :sigh:

• 5 months later...

Billboard: The 98 Greatest Songs of 1998: Critics' Picks

71. Janet Jackson, "Go Deep" (No. 28, Radio Songs)

Not only is this song tailor-made to get a party started, it's also its very own party contained in a song, from the crowd murmurs over the beat at the beginning to the group sing-along of a chorus. That super-loose vibe -- with its irresistible snare intro and cheeky sound effects sprinkled throughout -- is what makes it so danceable, and it perfectly matches the music video's foamy house party, so rudely interrupted by a pre-SNL Bill Hader as a pizza delivery boy at the end. -- KATIE ATKINSON

25. Janet Jackson, "I Get Lonely" (No. 3, Hot 100)

Desperation isn’t supposed to sound sexy. It’s supposed to make you sound pathetic, needy, maybe a little unhinged. And it usually does -- unless you are Janet Jackson, singing about loneliness over a Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis beat that snaps and glides and makes you move despite your fragile state. Such is “I Get Lonely,” the third single from The Velvet Rope, Jackson’s gorgeous album of intense introspection. “Lonely” clocks in at over five minutes, but it hits all the right spots: a full-voiced chorus of Jackson multiplied and plainly stating her feeling; and a handful of waiting-by-the-phone verses; a breakdown where she coos -- what else -- “gonna break it down, break it down, break it down.” Like any good song, this chorus provides that much-needed moment of release. Unlike any good song, this chorus happens six times, repeating the same insistent two lyrics per refrain. Twelve climaxes in fewer than half as many minutes? Only Janet gets it done like that. -- C.W.

https://www.billboard.com/amp/articles/news/list/8457624/best-songs-of-1998?sessionid=kUGTsTvH686U928ypci5ZPZEO_jI-SeBjfvmTOXFPzk&__twitter_impression=true

• 3 months later...

Pitchfork: The 200 Best Albums of the 1980s

Rhythm Nation 1814 artwork

Fourth album was a political statement—for herself and the world at large. Following 1986’s Control, which catapulted the singer to meteoric fame, Jackson wanted to add a more pronounced message to her music, to make art that stimulated the body and the mind. Rhythm Nation 1814 brought the news to the dance floor; as it played, one could almost see Jackson scanning CNN, her ire increasing with each headline. On “State of the World,” she tells the story of a young and struggling mother, urging people around the globe to tackle civic plight together. Elsewhere, she addresses the crack epidemic, the AIDS crisis, and black men being sent to prison at alarming rates. Producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis spun Jackson a dark, almost metallic blend of intense funk on which the singer forced her listeners to “give a damn.” In turn, Rhythm Nation felt urgent, an album that aligned with the reality-based rap of Public Enemy and Boogie Down Productions while also asserting Jackson’s stature as a pop star with meaning. –Marcus J. Moore

Control artwork

By 19, Janet Jackson had already appeared in several television shows, been married and divorced, and released two bubblegum pop albums. But it wasn’t until Control, a record as genre-defining as it was career-defining, that she was empowered enough to reclaim her body, her art, and her story. Within the album’s nine tracks, Jackson oscillates between warm, feminine sexuality and stony strength. The explosive title track doubles as a mission statement, while screeds like “Nasty” and the kiss-off “What Have You Done for Me Lately” demand respect and raise the standards for who could have the pleasure of her company. Elsewhere, the flirty “When I Think of You” and the sentimental ballad “Let’s Wait Awhile” offset her take-no-prisoners attitude with girlish crushing—the kind of vulnerability that is reflective of a soft heart but isn’t a full surrender. She separated herself from the overbearing men in her life and those who sought to write her narrative, and found more natural collaborators in producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. She did what she needed to do for herself, which remains one of the most revolutionary things a black woman can do. In finding her voice on Control, Janet Jackson cut a path by which future women pop stars could chart their own trajectory. –Briana Younger

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/the-200-best-albums-of-the-1980s

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

She did what she needed to do for herself, which remains one of the most revolutionary things a black woman can do. In finding her voice on Control, Janet Jackson cut a path by which future women pop stars could chart their own trajectory.

I just..the proof is RIGHT THERE.

2lNEQ63.gif

2lNEQ63.gif

7 hours ago, hotboy06 said:

It really is..I thought it would say "She did what she had to do"..:lmao:

Whew. Her best two albums making it. I keep forgetting about the mixtapes. :lol:

That exactly how I read it before going back and correcting myself. :lmao:

I keep trying to tell ppl these are her most celebrated albums. One day they'll see the light. -_-

On 8/3/2017 at 7:35 AM, wayneashleymusic said:

Agree with all of this, and here's some more reasoning/ points...  

I personally would rank the albums like this.. 1. RN  2. Control  Tier One albums-- clarity of message and theme innovative sound and colors

3. TVR  4. Janet  5. Unbreakable  Tier Two-- great songs and unique themes and characteristics. Stellar albums but not quite Tier One.

6. All For You  Tier Tow and a Half

7. Damita Jo  8. Discipline  9.  20YO  Tier Three-- Even with some stellar "go-to" tracks, but thematically they are re-hash of territory already explored in previous albums.  

I actually think i'd rank these albums the same exact way!

18 hours ago, Mr. Wonder said:

That exactly how I read it before going back and correcting myself. :lmao:

I keep trying to tell ppl these are her most celebrated albums. One day they'll see the light. -_-

Girl, TVR is put up there with them by critics and by the artists it influenced. Tons of people in R&B and pop have called it out for shaping their tastes and ambitions in music, and its influence is obvious on albums like Stripped, Britney, M!ssundaztood, Rated R, etc. It just wasn't as huge as RN or Control, and its imagery isn't as iconic, so it's harder to place in her cannon of essentials... but it is definitely next to the other two in terms of reverence.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/14/2018 at 2:40 PM, JoeJoe said:

They sure do lol. I never thought of it as that.

Never. Fans just give it too much.

On 9/14/2018 at 5:49 PM, eli's_rhythm said:

Girl, TVR is put up there with them by critics and by the artists it influenced. Tons of people in R&B and pop have called it out for shaping their tastes and ambitions in music, and its influence is obvious on albums like Stripped, Britney, M!ssundaztood, Rated R, etc. It just wasn't as huge as RN or Control, and its imagery isn't as iconic, so it's harder to place in her cannon of essentials... but it is definitely next to the other two in terms of reverence.

You just proved my point.

But it's really not. :lmao: Control and RN1814 are herald as Janet's signature albums. They considerably supersede TVR in success, influence, and significance. 

On 9/15/2018 at 10:37 PM, Mr. Wonder said:

Never. Fans just give it too much.

You just proved my point.

But it's really not. :lmao: Control and RN1814 are herald as Janet's signature albums. They considerably supersede TVR in success, influence, and significance. 

No, I didn't. Imagery and success don't always impart more influence. Janet is her most successful album, after all. Does that make it more influential than the other three?

• Like 1