'That's The Way Love Goes' Turns 20

This week marks twenty years since the release of 'That's The Way Love Goes', a pivotal moment in Legend J's career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcG_5Fav-pk

An 8-week reign atop the Billboard Hot 100.

The iconic makeover.

The quote-worthy lines in the video.

Turning 20 Y.O. and sounding timeless.

The effortless slay.

41kDgXO.gif

• Upvote 8

Has not aged at ALL! :w00t:

This era was really just crazy epic! I was in 6th grade and I can remember radio stations playing it every hour on the hour the first day it came out. EVERYBODY LOVED IT!!!!!!!! :w00t:

This is back when R&B ruled the world and still got radio play on pop stations. TTWLG was giving people LIFE! you could not got to a Bar-b-que that summer and not here that song! Nobody was in her lane! NOBODY!!!!!!

I mean, Janet was serving neo-soul 3 years before it was a genre. These new girls could never. :coffee:

• Upvote 4

I remember not loving the song when it first came out. I was expecting that dance bop..that came with the iconic "If". I grew to love it because of the video and it's laid back groovy style.

I'm glad Janet, as the artist, fought for this to be the first single. I don't think it was risky, but it showcased Janet in a new light. She wasn't doing full blown choreography..

Has not aged at ALL! :w00t:

This era was really just crazy epic! I was in 6th grade and I can remember radio stations playing it every hour on the hour the first day it came out. EVERYBODY LOVED IT!!!!!!!! :w00t:

This is back when R&B ruled the world and still got radio play on pop stations. TTWLG was giving people LIFE! you could not got to a Bar-b-que that summer and not here that song! Nobody was in her lane! NOBODY!!!!!!

I mean, Janet was serving neo-soul 3 years before it was a genre. These new girls could never. :coffee:

And then elevated it with "Got Till It's Gone"(another song she fought for). :coffee: Risk taker. Innovator. Icon. Legend. :coffee:

And thank GAWD it wasn't. Granted "If" would have had the success it had then had it been the lead single, but the 180 really set a trend - for acts that followed - in reinventing your sound and image.

Exactly. She showed people "Fuck the label...I'm the boss".

And thank GAWD it wasn't. Granted "If" would have had the success it had then had it been the lead single, but the 180 really set a trend - for acts that followed - in reinventing your sound and image.

Now looking back, I wonder if it would have been a huge hit for her..It was different..and risky. It would have been a win-win situation.

Now looking back, I wonder if it would have been a huge hit for her..It was different..and risky. It would have been a win-win situation.

I don't think it would have been as big as TTWLG. It probably would have peaked higher than #4, but it being a huge hit like Janet's other lead singles? I don't see it.

It still amazes me how she's still influencing people without any fucking new music. When people say she's not a "legend" it infuriates me. She truly changed the landscape of pop music. She doesn't get the recognition of her peers. But it's ok. The proof is in the pudding.

• Upvote 1