'That's The Way Love Goes' Turns 20

I don't think it would have been as big as TTWLG. It probably would have peaked higher than #4, but it being a huge hit like Janet's other lead singles? I don't see it.

I don't think it would have either. People said they couldn't understand what the hell she was saying with the lyrics. But the melody and the rap/singing was so ahead of it's time though. Ugh. :tear:

I don't think it would have either. People said they couldn't understand what the hell she was saying with the lyrics. But the melody and the rap/singing was so ahead of it's time though. Ugh. :tear:

People still can't decipher the lyrics. :lmao: I understood them as soon as I heard the song when I bought the alberm about 11 years ago. :lol:

The Pop/Rock/Dance fusion? The g3rls weren't quite ready for that level of progessive music. -_-

People still can't decipher the lyrics. :lmao: I understood them as soon as I heard the song when I bought the alberm about 11 years ago. :lol:

The Pop/Rock/Dance fusion? The g3rls weren't quite ready for that level of progessive music. -_-

:lmao: The distraction was the video! :asham: Who gives a fuck what she is saying when she's dancing and giving you UBER SEX GODDESS.

I wasn't ready for that song! I know her contemporaries were scrambling to catch up! :coffee:

It still amazes me how she's still influencing people without any fucking new music. When people say she's not a "legend" it infuriates me. She truly changed the landscape of pop music. She doesn't get the recognition of her peers. But it's ok. The proof is in the pudding.

It honestly doesn't bother me. The media can try their best to write her off, but they can't stop an artist from saying they're inspired by Janet. That's something that can't be censored. Even in Janet's time of recluse, you see ppl are still citing her work. You can't rewrite history as if it didn't happen, and there's nothing anyone can say or do to change that.

• Upvote 1

:lmao: The distraction was the video! :asham: Who gives a fuck what she is saying when she's dancing and giving you UBER SEX GODDESS.

I wasn't ready for that song! I know her contemporaries were scrambling to catch up! :coffee:

There was an article saying how "If" was like MJ's "Why You Wanna Trip On Me" in terms of the vocal style. Obviously that writer didn't hear "State Of The World" two years prior. :coffee: All Janet's peers were playing catch up.

It honestly doesn't bother me. The media can try their best to write her off, but they can't stop an artist from saying they're inspired by Janet. That's something that can't be censored. Even in Janet's time of recluse, you see ppl are still citing her work. You can't rewrite history as if it didn't happen, and there's nothing anyone can say or do to change that.

It seems to have picked up since she's playing where's Waldo. :asham: From her harmonies being questioned, to her albums and performance skills being praised, it just doesn't STOP. -_-

There was an article saying how "If" was like MJ's "Why You Wanna Trip On Me" in terms of the vocal style. Obviously that writer didn't hear "State Of The World" two years prior. :coffee: All Janet's peers were playing catch up.

Influencing her contemporaries..who would have thunk?

iv2fly8ooy6bp.gif

Has not aged at ALL! :w00t:

This era was really just crazy epic! I was in 6th grade and I can remember radio stations playing it every hour on the hour the first day it came out. EVERYBODY LOVED IT!!!!!!!! :w00t:

This is back when R&B ruled the world and still got radio play on pop stations. TTWLG was giving people LIFE! you could not got to a Bar-b-que that summer and not here that song! Nobody was in her lane! NOBODY!!!!!!

I mean, Janet was serving neo-soul 3 years before it was a genre. These new girls could never. :coffee:

And then elevated it with "Got Till It's Gone"(another song she fought for). :coffee: Risk taker. Innovator. Icon. Legend. :coffee:

WhoopiYAAASYouBettaTellThatTruth_zpsdb54238b.gif

I can't take alllll this truth!

WOO, 1 of my all time fave Janet songs, that song is so her it's ageless like her too. :coffee:

• Upvote 1