Supreme Court Strikes Down DOMA...Gay Rights Huge Victory!

Bailey

The U.S. Supreme Court will rule on the defense of marriage act's legality this week. Gay activists are patiently awaiting the ruling which could change gay marriage rights across the nation, making the ruling one of the most significant legal battles in the struggle for gay rights and equality.

well Cheif Justice Roberts has voted in favor of Obamacare, which is a name I depise, the health reform care act.....so its not like he hasn't surprised in the past....he seems to be the tie breaker I would have to do the research to see the predicted vote outcome...aside from the usual punks like Thomas....negro please :filenails:

well Cheif Justice Roberts has voted in favor of Obamacare, which is a name I depise, the health reform care act.....so its not like he hasn't surprised in the past....he seems to be the tie breaker I would have to do the research to see the predicted vote outcome...aside from the usual punks like Thomas....negro please :filenails:

After what happened today with the Voting Rights Act, I'd hesitate on trying to predict anything with him.

Oh I just looked it up....what a shitty ruling...and if affects the South mostly

Right, and the South is where it's needed the most. They say the South has changed since then, but I'd say it's only because of laws like that keeping it that way. It's like when someone is put on medication for something, then when they think they're better they take themselves off of it and they go back to being the same as or worse than before, not even thinking to realize that maybe why they were doing well was because of the medication.

• Upvote 2

Right, and the South is where it's needed the most. They say the South has changed since then, but I'd say it's only because of laws like that keeping it that way. It's like when someone is put on medication for something, then when they think they're better they take themselves off of it and the same or worse than before, not even thinking to realize that maybe why they were doing well was because of the medication.

are you the one considering law school? You have logic I would suggest for you maybe law school even if its tough to find work...its tough to finding work depending on where you are.....anyway the voter right law really revolves around whether or not we believe we live in a post racial world....social psychology holds that we are not subject to advert racism so much as covert, meaning its there, just not as in your face.
  • Upvote 1

I'm scarred. I want to trust that they make the right decision but you never know with this country smh.

my understanding of it regarding the voter rights act is they are deferring to the states to enact the laws as they see fit unless congress can agree on legislation, but congress agreeing most legal scholars say thats not gonna happen, so in the end the voter rights decision is a set back...

are you the one considering law school? You have logic I would suggest for you maybe law school even if its tough to find work...its tough to finding work depending on where you are.....anyway the voter right law really revolves around whether or not we believe we live in a post racial world....social psychology holds that we are not subject to advert racism so much as covert, meaning its there, just not as in your face.

No :asham: I think Escapade was considering Law School. I was thinking Medical School, but of course still unsure. Thank you for the suggestion, though. Maybe I could at do a little research into the idea ^_^...Right. Living in Tennessee, I can say that social psychology is spot on in that point. It has all shifted to covert racism and as far as voting, the last election showed how many loopholes can be and were found. I honestly believe that decision today will be Pandora's box when it comes to voting in the South and perhaps not even there alone. And to think, it was just renewed in 2006. Wow.

No :asham: I think Escapade was considering Law School. I was thinking Medical School, but of course still unsure. Thank you for the suggestion, though. Maybe I could at do a little research into the idea ^_^...Right. Living in Tennessee, I can say that social psychology is spot on in that point. It has all shifted to covert racism and as far as voting, the last election showed how many loopholes can be and were found. I honestly believe that decision today will be Pandora's box when it comes to voting in the South and perhaps not even there alone. And to think, it was just renewed in 2006. Wow.

damn shame...the wrong chick in the game ;) ....my thing about law school was ....do I want to spend the rest of my life arguing for a living...its not me...Game would be the new Johnny Cochran :filenails:

Sandra Oconner former Supreme Court Justice who was often the swing voter said this court is reversing legal precedent one after the other

damn shame...the wrong chick in the game ;) ....my thing about law school was ....do I want to spend the rest of my life arguing for a living...its not me...Game would be the new Johnny Cochran :filenails:

:lmao: @ the bolded. I don't know, I enjoy a good argument/debate and pursuing justice, but I guess my thing against it would be what if I had to defend/argue for someone I knew was in the wrong. I would have to make a choice between my paycheck or my morality, and that isn't a choice I want to be in the position to make.

Sandra Oconner former Supreme Court Justice who was often the swing voter said this court is reversing legal precedent one after the other

If that's the case, which it could very well be, my question would be why.

:lmao: @ the bolded. I don't know, I enjoy a good argument/debate and pursuing justice, but I guess my thing against it would be what if I had to defend/argue for someone I knew was in the wrong. I would have to make a choice between my paycheck or my morality, and that isn't a choice I want to be in the position to make.

If that's the case, which it could very well be, my question would be why.

I asked a co-worker who is going to Law School in Arkansas this fall the question of how he would handle that exact situation.

He said something to the lines of 'I'm defending an argument and not the person'.. It's about the case and not the individual

• Upvote 1

I asked a co-worker who is going to Law School in Arkansas this fall the question of how he would handle that exact situation.

He said something to the lines of 'I'm defending an argument and not the person'.. It's about the case and not the individual

That's probably the one of the better answers I've heard to that question, but I still don't think it's a situation I could personally handle without feeling any guilt, honestly, even if my focus is on the case. However, the burden of proof is on those suing my client and it is their responsibility to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt. I don't know, I am interested in Law School enough to research more just cautiously.

I enjoy law as well.. But not too in-dept..

I took a new interest in trials.. I watched the Dr. Murray trial.. The Casey- Anthony trial...

I didn't watch either but my social psychology professor said his wife was allllll about the OJ trial and this Jodi Arias trial

well in these final hours.....I believe gay marriage is a human right...you have the right to marry and commit to whom you wish...the outcome can be on one of two sides, the right side of history or the wrong one.....many countries have moved on far from this issue and gay marriage is not relevant to them....but in the U.S. its as if to say we give gay marriage some legitimacy we give gays our approval to live. My argument has always been voting on the rights of others different from you is a conflict of interest. Gay rights are not about what the popular opinion is, its about giving due to those that have it coming. Unfortunately we live in a country that believes gays should not get a damn thing....either way this decision is going to be huge