'80s Survivor: 1980 (Vote now for the winner!)

TwistedElegance™

Correct! Congrats, Reyna.

Welcome to your Top 10 for 1980. :D

Songs remaining (in alphabetical order):

Another Brick In The Wall (Part II) - Pink Floyd

Another One Bites The Dust - Queen

Call Me - Blondie

Give Me The Night - George Benson

Hungry Heart - Bruce Springsteen

I'm Coming Out - Diana Ross

Master Blaster (Jammin') - Stevie Wonder

Rock With You - Michael Jackson

Send One Your Love - Stevie Wonder

Upside Down - Diana Ross

E24i5xs.jpg

George Benson

"Give Me The Night"

Give Me The Night (Qwest/Warner Bros.)

Writer(s): Rod Temperton

Producer(s): Quincy Jones

Hot 100 Peak: 4

George Benson opens our Top 10 for 1980 with the feelgood Give Me The Night. The first single issued from Benson's 18th studio album of the same name, Give Me The Night reached No. 4 on the Hot 100, becoming his most successful entry on the chart. Written by funk band Heatwave's Rod Temperton and produced by Quincy Jones, Give Me The Night naturally felt in the same vein as the duo's other disco hits of the era, Michael Jackson's Off The Wall and Rock With You. Backing vocals on the track were provided by then-labelmate Patti Austin. Give Me The Night earned Benson the Grammy for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance, besting the likes of Stevie Wonder and Al Jarreau. The song was an international success, peaking at No. 7 in both Canada and the UK, and No. 10 in Australia.

Call Me - Blondie
Upside Down - Diana Ross

• Upvote 1

5hLFXSH.jpg

Blondie

"Call Me"

American Gigolo: Original Soundtrack Recording (Polydor)

Writer(s): Debbie Harry, Giorgio Moroder

Producer(s): Giorgio Moroder

Hot 100 Peak: 1

Taking ninth spot for 1980 is Blondie with the infectious Call Me. Billboard's No. 1 song of the year, Call Me was written for the soundtrack to American Gigolo, starring Richard Gere. Producer Giorgio Moroder originally wanted Stevie Nicks to perform the tune. When she passed, Moroder turned to Debbie Harry, who agreed to write the lyrics. She viewed a rough cut of the film on video. "I went home and wrote the song immediately," she recalls. Neither Moroder nor director Paul Schrader restricted her creative freedom. The instrumental track was already recorded, and Harry only took a couple of hours to lay down her vocals, including the harmonies. The song earned Blondie a Grammy nomination for Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal, losing to Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band with Against The Wind. Around the globe the track reached No. 1 in Canada and the UK, and No. 4 in Australia. In 2004, Rolling Stone ranked Call Me No. 283 on their list of 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

Upside Down - Diana Ross

• Upvote 1

Are you guys liking the new look profiles for the Top 10? I wanted to make them different from the '90s series.

Yeah I love them - they have a vintage feel to it that goes perfect with the 80s! Love the paragraphs too. Didn't expect anything less from the best though :P

• Upvote 1