'80s Survivor: 1980 (Vote now for the winner!)

TwistedElegance™

I believe it is a problem. If you follow the links in that Wiki page the source leads to a blog run by some guy named Longbored Surfer... or Pedro. :asham:

I'm reading from a hard copy of Fred Bronson's Hottest Hot 100 Hits (4th Edition).

I believe it is a problem. If you follow the links in that Wiki page the source leads to a blog run by some guy named Longbored Surfer... or Pedro. :asham:

I'm reading from a hard copy of Fred Bronson's Hottest Hot 100 Hits (4th Edition).

Well this is from Billboard's verified Youtube channel and I still see Mike as the only solo male in the Top 5 :unsure::lol: Last 4 minutes for the Top 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5BBpz8c4-8

Well this is from Billboard's verified Youtube channel and I still see Mike as the only solo male in the Top 5 :unsure::lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5BBpz8c4-8

Damn. :umm: Well, I can't dispute that. :lol: I wonder why they would differ. :unsure:

The answer I have is Lady by Kenny Rogers at No. 3. However, you have provided receipts so Upside Down is out! I will hold the official elimination later as I have to go out. :lol:

Damn. :umm: Well, I can't dispute that. :lol: I wonder why they would differ. :unsure:

The answer I have is Lady by Kenny Rogers at No. 3. However, you have provided receipts so Upside Down is out! I will hold the official elimination later as I have to go out. :lol:

Good question :unsure: I haven't the foggiest idea :asham:

Woohoo! :D Okie dokie :lol:

Oh, here's why (from the book)...

The year-end charts on the following pages are not meant to replace the year-end surveys Billboard has published over the years. Those charts are a matter of record. Rather, these lists are an opportunity to look at the biggest hits of each year from a different perspective.

One limitation of the annual charts published in Billboard is that they are not compiled on a calendar year basis - that is, they do not run from January to December. Because of publishing deadlines, the eligibility period has varied over the years, but generally runs from the beginning of December to the end of November. In the past, this has penalized some records that were hits at the end of the year by leaving them caught in limbo between two particular years, not gaining enough points in either to register on any year-end chart. As a result, songs like Big Girls Don't Cry by The Four Seasons, Come See About Me by The Supremes, and I Think I Love You by The Partridge Family never appeared on a Billboard year-end survey because they peaked in November or December.

The charts on the following pages list singles in the year that they peaked. My Sweet Lord, which went No. 1 the week of December 26, 1970, is included in the Top 100 Songs of 1970. In the official Billboard charts, it was listed in 1971.

Hope that clears it up. :lol:

• Upvote 1

TTWlRAi.jpg

Diana Ross

"Upside Down"

Diana (Motown)

Writer(s): Nile Rodgers, Bernard Edwards

Producer(s): Nile Rodgers, Bernard Edwards

Hot 100 Peak: 1

In fifth place for 1980 is Upside Down by Diana Ross, her most successful solo chart single. It was also one of her most controversial, as word leaked out about her displeasure with how Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards produced the track. She felt her vocals were not prominent enough and wanted them brought forward. After asking them to remix the album they had produced for her, Diana was still not satisfied and mixed it again with assistance from Motown producer Russ Terrana. Rodgers told of his dismay in Billboard. "I was shocked. I was furious and got on the phone right away and called Motown. I asked to listen to the album and then talk to Diana. I calmed down and listened to the album about 10 times. Then I had to say, 'Hey! I know where they're coming from. I understand what they're doing.' But initially I was not prepared for that kind of shock. I'm not as happy as I would be if it was the way we mixed it, but I'm happy with the album because Diana is happy with it." The album in question, simply titled Diana, remains Ross's best-selling studio release. Upside Down was a huge hit internationally, ruling the charts in Australia, New Zealand, Italy, Norway, South Africa, Sweden and Switzerland. In the US Upside Down (the lead single from Diana) was released a full month after the album. It reached pole position and held the title for four weeks.

Songs remaining (in alphabetical order):

Another One Bites The Dust - Queen
I'm Coming Out - Diana Ross
Rock With You - Michael Jackson
Send One Your Love - Stevie Wonder

HIiMnqH.jpg

Diana Ross

"I'm Coming Out"

Diana (Motown)

Writer(s): Nile Rodgers, Bernard Edwards

Producer(s): Nile Rodgers, Bernard Edwards

Hot 100 Peak: 5

Making it back-to-back eliminations for 1980 is Diana Ross whose I'm Coming Out exits in fourth position. After being commissioned by Ross to co-write and produce her album, Chic member Nile Rodgers got the idea for the song after seeing three separate drag queens dressed as Diana Ross at New York's GG Barnum Room club. As such, I'm Coming Out was adopted as an anthem for gay pride. The song holds a special place in the hearts of others for a very different reason, however, being one of the only Top 40 songs in history to feature a trombone solo. Meco, best remembered for his space disco version of the Star Wars theme, explains: "Weeks went by when I heard through the grapevine that Diana Ross was incredibly unhappy with the album. She thought Nile and Bernard made her sound like Chic. She took the master tapes from Power Station and went to Motown in Detroit to remix the record. When it came out, her early interviews were very unenthusiastic about it and Nile and Bernard, her producers. Well, as we all know, this turned out to be her biggest-selling solo album ever. Upside Down was a monster number one single and I'm Coming Out was a Top 10 single. It turned out that when the engineer at Motown saw the track listings of Meco 1–2–3–4, he just assumed that Track 1 was THE track and never listened to the others, and so that's what is on the record. So, I'm extremely proud to say that my solo is the only jazz trombone solo of a top-ten pop hit in the last 50 years! But – it wasn't my best – that, unfortunately lies in the vaults at Motown." The distinctive sound of I'm Coming Out and its resulting popularity has led to Ross's song often being sampled, most notably by Stevie J, who sampled the song for the late rapper The Notorious B.I.G.'s 1997 song Mo Money Mo Problems. Amerie covered the song for the Maid In Manhattan soundtrack. And more recently it was sampled in Keyshia Cole's remake of I'm Coming Out (feat. Iggy Azalea) for the soundtrack of the 2014 movie The Other Woman, as well as Break Your Heart Right Back from Ariana Grande's My Everything. Despite its familiarity, I'm Coming Out was not a big international success, managing a peak of No. 13 in the UK, and No. 7 in France.

So that brings us to our final three! Please PM your vote through to me for the song you would like to win Survivor 1980. Good luck! :D

Songs remaining (in alphabetical order):

Another One Bites The Dust - Queen
Rock With You - Michael Jackson
Send One Your Love - Stevie Wonder

• Upvote 1

The results are in!

In 3rd place...

zR3LO6E.jpg

Stevie Wonder

"Send One Your Love"

Stevie Wonder's Journey Through The Secret Life of Plants (Tamla/Motown)

Writer(s): Stevie Wonder

Producer(s): Stevie Wonder

Hot 100 Peak: 4

Third place for 1980 goes to Stevie Wonder with Send One Your Love. The only single lifted from Wonder's mostly-instrumental Journey Through The Secret Life of Plants, Send One Your Love reached No. 4 on the Hot 100, No. 5 on the Hot Soul Singles chart, and No. 1 on the Adult Contemporary chart, where it ruled for four weeks. The album, a soundtrack to a documentary of the same name directed by Walon Green, divided critics. Some thought it was "nerdy", "goofy", and "pointless", whereas others labelled it "courageous", "achingly sweet", and "bafflingly beautiful". Wonder remarked in 2004 that the album was "an experimental project with me scoring and doing other things I like: challenging myself with all the things that entered my mind from the Venus's Flytrap to Earth's creation to coming back as a flower." Billboard ranks Send One Your Love No. 12 on their list of The Top 30 Songs of Stevie Wonder.

Voted for by: No one

In 2nd place...

4WNBSMe.jpg

Queen

"Another One Bites The Dust"

The Game (EMI/Elektra)

Writer(s): John Deacon

Producer(s): Queen, Mack

Our first runner-up for 1980 is the legendary Queen with their funk rock classic, Another One Bites The Dust. Billboard's No. 2 song of the year was Queen's second entry in the year-end survey, with Crazy Little Thing Called Love finishing in ninth position. The fourth single lifted from the band's eighth studio album, The Game (their only album to reach No. 1 in the US), Another One Bites The Dust blended several genres, thus being able to place on the Hot Soul Singles and Disco Top 100 charts. Written by bassist John Deacon, the musician took inspiration from funk group Chic, namely their hit Good Times. Recording sessions consisted of Deacon playing almost all the instruments: bass, piano, rhythm and lead guitars and handclap percussion. In the book Queen: The Ultimate Illustrated History of the Crown Kings of Rock, Phil Sutcliffe writes that after attending a Queen concert in Los Angeles, Michael Jackson suggested to Freddie Mercury that Another One Bites The Dust should be released as a single. One of the band's best-selling singles, its reach has even impacted the world of medicine, specifically in studies to train medical professionals. The song has close to 110 beats-per-minute, and as 100-120 chest compressions per minute are recommended by the British Heart Foundation it was the perfect choice to provide the correct number of compressions while performing CPR. The song received a Grammy nomination for Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal, but lost to Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band's Against The Wind. Internationally, Another One Bites The Dust reached No. 7 in the UK, No. 1 in Canada, and No. 5 in Australia.

Voted for by: RedSimba

And our winner...

9T4nXGn.jpg

Michael Jackson

"Rock With You"

Off The Wall (Epic)

Writer(s): Rod Temperton

Producer(s): Quincy Jones

Michael Jackson gave a hint of his chart dominance to come with Rock With You. His third Hot 100 No. 1 after Ben and Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough, Rock With You is widely regarded as one of the last hits of the disco era - a point driven home by its accompanying video featuring the King of Pop clad in a spangly silver jumpsuit. It was the second of five singles lifted from Jackson's landmark Off The Wall album, his first under Epic Records. A worldwide hit, Rock With You reached No. 7 in the UK, and No. 4 in both Australia and Canada. Billboard ranks Rock With You No. 11 on their list of The Top 50 Songs of The Jacksons.

Voted for by: Impactnet, jarrylf, Ms Reyna

Thank you all for playing. 1981 is on its way! ^_^

• Upvote 2