'80s Survivor: 1981

TwistedElegance™

Sorry for the delay. The Best of Times and Bette Davis Eyes have been eliminated. Welcome to our Top 10! Single votes from now, and the option to save has been retired.

List of songs (in alphabetical order):

Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic - The Police

Just The Two of Us - Grover Washington, Jr. & Bill Withers

Morning Train (Nine To Five) - Sheena Easton

Rapture - Blondie

Stop Draggin' My Heart Around - Stevie Nicks & Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers

The Tide Is High - Blondie

Waiting For a Girl Like You - Foreigner

Who's Crying Now - Journey

You Make My Dreams - Hall & Oates

Young Turks - Rod Stewart

XFATykl.jpg

The Police

"Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic"

Ghost In The Machine (A&M)

Writer(s): Sting

Producer(s): Hugh Padgham, Stewart Copeland, Sting, Andy Summers

Hot 100 Peak: 3

Opening our Top 10 for 1981 is The Police with Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic. One of the British rock group's signature hits, Every Little Thing was the second single lifted from the band's fourth album, Ghost In The Machine, and was originally written as an acoustic ballad before being reshaped into the punchy pop tune we know today. Often thought to be misunderstood by listeners, fans will note the song's lyrics tell a story darker than the melody would have you believe, with Sting resolving to "call her up a thousand times a day" - a sentiment not dissimilar to the one painted on the group's legendary Every Breath You Take, which would follow two years later. Every Little Thing peaked at No. 2 in Australia, and reached the top back home in the UK.

Rapture - Blondie
Waiting For a Girl Like You - Foreigner

Sorry for the delay. We have a tie between Just The Two of Us, Young Turks, Waiting For a Girl Like You and You Make My Dreams. The first person to correctly identify this piece of 1981 trivia will decide who goes.

Of these three superstars born in 1981, who is the oldest - Beyoncé, Britney Spears or Justin Timberlake?

Correct. :D

CAL6zPo.jpg

Foreigner

"Waiting For a Girl Like You"

4 (Atlantic)

Writer(s): Mick Jones, Lou Gramm

Producer(s): Robert John "Mutt" Lange, Mick Jones

Hot 100 Peak: 2

British-American rockers Foreigner bow out in ninth place with Waiting For a Girl Like You. It was the second single lifted from the band's fourth album, the aptly titled 4. Prior to the release of Waiting For a Girl Like You, Foreigner was considered a hard rock band, getting airplay mostly on rock stations and a few Top 40 channels. The song gave the group more exposure on commercial stations, and because the song was soft, most adult contemporary radio stations played it as well. Because of its success, Waiting For a Girl... was credited with exposing harder rock acts to a broader audience. Waiting for a Girl... achieved an odd chart distinction by spending its record-setting 10 weeks in the No. 2 position on the Hot 100, without ever reaching the top. First appearing on the Hot 100 in October 1981, it reached No. 2 the week of November 28 where it was held off the No. 1 spot by Olivia Newton-John's single Physical for nine consecutive weeks, then by Hall & Oates' I Can't Go for That (No Can Do) for a 10th week on January 30, 1982. Nevertheless it made it to No. 19 amongst the Top 100 singles of 1982. Its parent album also a massive success, holding the No. 1 position on the Billboard album chart for a total of ten weeks. It eventually sold over seven million copies in the US alone.

Rapture - Blondie

5BHVdYA.jpg

Hall & Oates

"You Make My Dreams"

Voices (RCA)

Writer(s): Sara Allen, Daryl Hall, John Oates

Producer(s): Daryl Hall, John Oates

Hot 100 Peak: 5

Pop-rock dynamo duo Hall & Oates make their exit as the infectious You Make My Dreams claims 8th spot for 1981. Lifted from the duo's ninth studio album Voices, the track has been used in many films and television series, thanks to its bouncy, almost ad-jingle nature. Hall & Oates wrote the keyboard-driven classic with Sara Allen, who was Hall's girlfriend and the subject of the song Sara Smile. Oates says of the tune: "It's a great song, simple as that. Good songs are good songs. They stand on their own, they can be stripped away of the production. A song is what happens when a writer sits down on their individual instrument and creates something out of nothing. And there's magic involved and there's inspiration involved. You Make My Dreams represents a vibe, it represents a collaboration between myself and Daryl and the band in the studio in the '80s. Its simplicity and directness is where the charm lies in that song."

Rapture - Blondie

Just The Two of Us - Grover Washington, Jr & Bill Withers